/daily/ - "the final" edition

Do NOT make another thread after this one. We're done. /daily/ is dead.

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>listenalong schedules, OP pics, etc.
daily-mu.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html

Previously, on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!dAEUAQrb!Be0XOAXjUoH7Ja-XIpm7yA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

hopping on this bad boy next

seeing phantom thread tomorrow, very very hype

today i:
>sat around listening to nick drake
>drove 30 mins to pick up meds
>played guitar
>worked on some songs
>felt crippled by loneliness and unfulfilled queer sexuality
>guitar again
>think imma watch this movie now that looks good
so um a good overall. also how do you get kind anons to build a chart for you. don't tell me i have to get a dumbass trip id

Seeing it Friday, equally excited

Today I listened to Little Dark Age. I like it
I also listened to Spirit They're Gone, Spirit They've Vanished. I do not like it

i have never seen someone flop the normie filter so quickly.

Boots for Dancing - The Undisco Kidds (2015)
>dance-punk

Not the best late-'70s early-'80s dance-punk, but servicable enough. They don't have the rhythms of Liquid Liquid, the raw energy (and sax) of the Contortions, the charm of Lizzy Mercier Descloux, the driving nature of ESG, it's just in the middle of the road, 14 tracks of practically the same rhythms and tunes. Fun as hell, for sure, but there's a reason why these guys haven't gained the same cult legacy as some of the other bands from this era.

2.5+

Luna Park Ensemble - 虫喰いマンダラ (Mushikui Mandala) (1998)
>art pop, progressive pop

It's shockingly easy to get lost in this compilation, even though it cycles through styles and genres enough to give the listener a headache. There's a cohesive vibe, for lack of a better word, to this whole thing, that keeps it really engaging to listen to. The schizoid pop often misses its mark, yet it misses its mark in an endearing, enjoyable matter. It can often get too overwhelming, but that's part of the charm. The folk is a really nice addition too.

3.0-

Art Pepper - Art Pepper Meets the Rhythm Section (1957)
>cool jazz

I actually had no clue until right now that this album as named as such because the eponymous "rhythm section" was the rhythm section of Miles Davis at the time. So they all obviously do a great job, and Pepper does as well. Pepper obviously isn't the powerhouse that Davis is, and the music is just cool jazz renditions of mostly standards, but it's cool jazz renditions of standards done incredibly well. Probably my new favorite cool jazz record.

about seven songs into pic related and there hasn't been a dud yet. How does Oscar Alemán do it?

Shaft ost hype

>don't tell me i have to get a dumbass trip id
lol

>Spirit They're Gone, Spirit They've Vanished. I do not like it
Always understandable, always regrettable

>Cloud Becomes Your Hand - Rest in Fleas
>Indie Rock, Avant-Prog
Reminds me heavily of King Gizzard, with a cleaner sound. Really like the atonal clarinet performance in Bridge of Ignorance Returns.

A strange thought came to mind while listening to this album specifically, however. The cleaner modern rock aspect to this made the Zolo influence sound much more like an attempt to be quirky, rather than completely owning that sound mmuch like Harry Merry or Condor Moments. It makes up for that by being memorable and warm, even with nonsensical lyrics.

In any case, it's still easily an enjoyable release.

7+

>Francis Plagne - Funeral Mutes
>Chamber Pop, Progressive Pop
Initially, I'm charmed by his voice and the group choir. The group does sound much more like it's relying on stirring odd feelings from both reliance on single notes and dragging performances. I'm not seeing the purpose for the occasionally laggy attacks, as it just seems to be a gimmick amongst the pleasant chamber music.

Also sad to say that my initial charm turned into drowsy stupor. This album really trudges along from beginning to end, ignoring the dopey jazz portion in Spirited Yolk.

dunno how you'd be able to sit through all these soundtracks
except for based Edward Artemiev

you can ask for reccs here and then make the chart on
up to you if you want the chart to be themed or just random albums

they are both normie bands

Oscar Aleman is way underrated.
People typically equate him with Django Reinhardt, but I personally see Oscar as more talented while Django is more of a one trick pony.

>they are both normie bands
>STGSTV is normie

phenomenal comp, front to back. there really are no duds on the whole thing.

STGSTV is not the band

Yeah I get the Django comparison, but you're right, this guy has more variety. I'd be hard pressed to call Django a one-trick pony, though. Sure his playing is physically limited, but have you heard some of those comps? "The Classic Early Recordings in Chronological Order" has loads of variety, even if it's greatly aided by Grappelli
so far still so great

don't u weasel out of implying STGSTV is normie

which is it, bub?

anco is 100% normie but STGSTV is not a normie album

also bon iver is more normie than the beatles

it's for normies who don't want to be normies like all anco

i wasn't trying to imply that STGSTV was normie, i was talking about how both bands are at least somewhat well known

just because they have a few less accessible albums (and the fact that none of AnCo's albums charted before Strawberry Jam, compared to Oracular Spectacular) doesn't mean they're completely void of being defined even partially as "normie"

>bon iver is more normie than the beatles
that it i am never listenin to Otokotachi no Wakare

all you've done is proved the meaninglessness of that word

good I don't want you anywhere near it

but herb guy likes stgstv and he's completely normal

n o r m i e

consider btw youre a normie

I know more normies who like melodic hardcore than anco

what i tell ya folks normie band

(id rather get through their studio albums before listenin to it anyway but i cant be bothered making myself do that)

good.

why did people think Little Dark Age was a highlight of last year, much less a good song tho, is the rest of the album any different/better?

and that's because it's actually good

Just Normie Shit™

music that has the ability to connect to actual people instead of self-proclaimed critics and nerdsR

:)

melodic hardcore fans are not "people"

more regular people like Tim Buckley than will ever even hear of A Wilhelm Scream

you know that's a bad comparison
try bad religion and rise against

bad religions fans and people who shop at spencers/hot topic are not "people"

only person I've ever known who likes rise against is my redditor roommate who is paying to go to college to become a cop and watches joe rogan every day

I think you're proving his point

Blue Lives Matter and Joe Rogan are pretty normie

hot topic scenesters are wholesome
morton feldman sq 2 is not and you know the "people" who are into that as well as i do

"normie" sure but still doesn't count as human beings

uzi is the only human being alive who has ever looked good in hot topic clothes and you know it

man I'm really gonna miss r/daily :(
on a better note Enregistre Par Steve Albini - The Ephemera's Workshop is probably the greatest album i've heard all month so there's that to look forward to I guess.

all :clap: scene :clap: kids :clap: are :clap: cute!

I was a scene kid from 2008-2010 and I was def not cute

not gonna believe that without evidence

I wanna get into George Clinton what's the best album to start with?

tpab

I will not be posting pics like that online any time soon

you have my insta, right? That one pic I posted of me with bieber hair is sort similar to that, only with no glasses and frosted black tips

Already heard it

I see you are already a George Clinton master then

but actually

Maggot Brain for the psych rock side of GC's funk

Mothership Connection for p-funk

>Blue Lives Matter is pretty normie

Working my way through this and hey it's way better than I expected. Too lazy for reviews right now though

Wow I'm on a roll right now

Thanks

I mean in the midwest it is lol

I can imagine but that's just... frustrating to me

believe me I feel the same way. my roommate has a blue lives matter flag in his room lmao

looking forward to moving cities next year though :)

Damn that's brutal dude. Had a pretty bad roommate my freshman year (he was a hardcore "motivational" bro who got sucked into a pyramid scheme lmao) but nothing quite at that level.

Where you moving to if you don't mind me asking?

I'm moving just a few hours east to a different college in Iowa, which doesn't sound like a huge improvement but it really is a much better less redneck community

plus I'm moving into a house with an old high school friend so pbr, dad hats, and the shittiest house shows to ever exist are imminent.

>i live 2 states away from fish
y-yes

fuckig indiana pice of shit

AAAAALL DONE :DDD

what first

stara rzeka or todd edwards

Is it out already? noice, I was expecting it, seems it's going to be at least good.

The OOZ

That Olga Bell is great, conceptual voguing.

Which Mount Eerie release is that one?

Sam Cooke at the Harlem Square Club has some jams

Sat III also has some jams

There are better Taterbug albums, but Marlboro Man will have to do

And what's that purple album in the top right? Looks cool
hey lmk if you go to any NWI shows or find any MW tapes ;^)

the lily chou chou soundtrack is so good its weird thinking its a fake band made up for the movie

I wasn’t expecting to dig this, but I’m digging this.

It's actually very bad

>pig don’t like it
Validated

>i live 3 states away from fish
>i live 1 states away from crunch
y-yes

good album

I highly suggest "Cold Fact" by Rodriguez. It's a great urban 70's album.

It's so good at conveying a singular impression that Ezra fucking Pound would be proud of this album.

Easily one of the most consistently great albums I've ever heard.

S U R F I N G
more like
S U F F E R I N G

idk the first thing about ezra pound, did he just really like one-track-minded albums that did their thing really well

he would love pic related then, shit slaps harrrrddddd

1 more person do this or i kil myself
mega.nz/#F!dAEUAQrb!Be0XOAXjUoH7Ja-XIpm7yA

wtf I have the most respected taste in all of /daily/

I'm listening to it rn

thanks love u

Yeah and I have the opposite of that

entry level, i know. any reccs?

top left or top right corner. beautiful chart
she - Days
Gold Panda - Good Luck and Do Your Best
Lux Occulta - Kołysanki

>using both your images this early in the thread
checkmate

Looks like you forgot to include the jazz and classical..?

This is a nice selection of electronic albums actually

I reccomend M.E.S.H. - Hesaitix, Christoph de Babalon - If You're Into It, I'm Out of It, Kettel & Secede - When Can, Dialect - Gowanus Drifts, Young Fathers - Dead, and other albums from the label PAN

Molly Drake - Molly Drake
[2011]

First couple of songs were cute but wow there's really not much to it. Got bored lots.

Ufomammut - Godlike Snake
[2000]

Dope stoner metal, I was actually surprised to find out the band is italian and was started in the city I live in. It's fresh and good if you're searching for doomy psychedelic stuff. There's some bits of filler imho which could really just easily not be there.

And I finished this chart after what was probably months! It was nice. My rating system is really low, but I'm glad I have found a couple of 7 which for me mean great, solid music.

now where do i start with this?

fennesz

Luke Vibert - Big Soup

Tangerine Dream - Phaedra
Clark - Body Riddle

you had a chance to save daily and you blew it

ask urself, is it worth saving

idk why i wrote 10 people it's more like 4 or 5 but whatever it gets loud sometimes

Boy...

Хaмepмaн знищyє вipycи - Кyй!
>Art punk, electrocrash
Absolute garbage. Like if Seth Rogen learned Ukrainian, cloned himself, and started a ISMFOF knockoff with his clone. Terrible. Awful. And it's two discs long!!! Why? Why?

Maybe transgod will like this

hadtroublefinishing/5

Winston Tong - Miserere
>Spoken Word, Experimental

For 50 minutes, Winston Tong says ominous things in French. In the background, droning noises and various edgy samples play. Eh.

2/5

It's only up from here boys

>Piper
>all that hip hop
Oh boy
Do I'm Memeing In a Room first

Pale Cocoon, James Ferraro, Dadamah, Don Caballero, and Pakistani Promenade are all dope too tho

oh yeah woah, great chart otherwise

Don't have too much to say about Dogon, Eleh, or Graeme Revell. They all had interesting concepts that were executed fairly well but not as well as other releases in their respective genres. Dogon is definitely the most unique of the three, and I do recommend it for people who are turntablism aficionados as they may find a deeper appreciation for it.

I do want to briefly talk about Matana Roberts though as it is easily my favorite from this chart. It is probably the most riveting album I've heard in a while. It channels so many influences while adding its own unique voice. This channeling is both relevant to the "thesis" of the album -- tracing her own cultural history -- and her vocal performance which seemingly has her literally channel her ancestors, creating the most gut-wrenchingly satisfying screams and wails I've heard in a long time, which perfectly complements the free jazz sax. Super impressive. Lyrically it approaches extremely dark subject matter in a matter of fact way through the use of beat poetry (another historical influence). There is much to love about this album as a performance and beyond. Though it does really cater to my specific tastes, it seems like this album has a fair bit of hype surrounding it. So if you haven't yet, check it out.

james ferraro without a doubt

fanisk noontide

have you seen the documentary based on that album

thank lamb and jimbo for the good albums

hit up that pale cocoon rn

why is twin peaks so good lads
those two, zach phillips, savage young, and angels right hook are both top tier

Was just thinking about The Return last night. I love it so much

still on the main series. s2ep6. i really can't think of any specific issues i have with it so far.

>s2ep6
give it a few episodes

It's gonna get BAAAD real soon

you should feel it around episode 10 or 11 of season 2

god i'm so excited