/tmr/

Who else absolutely and unironically loves Trout Mask Replica?

I know many rather crack jokes about it or are simply confused by its supposed genius, which is perfectly understandable. But, honestly, it's one of my favorite rock albums.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_6nZJB-j2bI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

This but unironically.

I listen to mirror man sessions more

I love his work, don't listen to what Sup Forums says ever.
Ice cream for crow is underrated

I suppose I'll just sperg out about the album until someone else joins in (or maybe I'll just be alone).

Anyways, I know the album is more so casted as an incredibly bizarre rock album that nonetheless is humorous and even playful and while that's a fair observation, I do consider the beauty of it all to be underrated still.

Now, I know this seems rather weird to say, especially with Beefheart's goofy attempt at an accent, but at least instrumentally speaking, from the 1:20 mark and on in "Hobo Chang Ba", there's something soul-crushing about the guitar work. I can't exactly explain why, but I always found the second half or so of the track to be beautiful in an awfully twisted way. I understand why it's typically not seen as highly as other moments in the track listing given that Beefheart's vocals are possibly even more off-putting than ever on that song, but it's still a ridiculously underrated track. 0:12 - 0:32 in "Steal Softly Thru Snow" is another example. Quite odd (especially in regard to the phrasing) yet somehow incredibly emotive interplay between the guitars and the bass. Beefheart's opening lines are great as well. There are moments of this nature riddled throughout the album, but I'll just stop now. I've typed way too much already. :^)

I'm not joking. :|

Fair enough. "Kandy Korn" is top-tier.

Ice Cream For Crow is great too. I can't say it's among my favorites of his, but great regardless. This is probably my favorite track: youtube.com/watch?v=_6nZJB-j2bI

good alvum yes

Nothing weird about your observations.
It's an album that requires CLOSE listening to understand, the composition may sound all over the place at first, but once you start to follow their rhythm patterns it just sort of clicks.

I just can't stand the guy's voice

I love it because it's complex, fun and completely batshit insane at times. There's nothing that sounds like it. I don't understand why somebody who is supposedly passionate about experimental pop music would hate this. But I get it if you're put off by the guy's vocals or something.

I can enjoy abstract or abrasive music when it's making some intentional statement or there's some degree of artistry. This record has none of that. It's just a bunch of guys banging on instruments purposely playing out of time with each other. Even the parts that sound good could pretty much just be heard in any other Zappa album.What the fuck is the appeal?

>This record has none of that. It's just a bunch of guys banging on instruments purposely playing out of time with each other

But that's wrong. It's his band trying to transcribe the thoughts of an insane band leader into a record. It's not purposefully trying to be complex, the man is literally insane and his super talented band are trying to make the most out of his nonmusical ideas.

Exactly. They're purposely playing musical nonsense. That's the appeal I don't understand.

>They're purposely playing musical nonsense.

No? The band are trying to transcribe the mentally challenged band leader's insane thoughts into a comprehesible record. That's it. The appeal is that nothing else sounds like it. You either love it or you don't. Despite what it sounds to some people it's the complete opposite of pretentious, it's not some l'art pour l'art record.

The fact that you and so many others treat it as a profound representation of some grand idea is the exact reason it IS a pretentious album. If you can find brilliance in a collection of garbled, dissonant non-songs as sung by a shrieking lunatic then you could find it in a pile of rat shit.

well, it's also good music

It's just weirder dad rock

It's defintely unique. I sperged out a tad in another thread discussing why people liked it, and since no one in that thread said anything seriously, i posted this:
"It's a work of mad genius that continues to challenge audiences almost half a century later. Most "experimental" music usually ages and grows tame over time due to artists and bands using ideas from it throughout the subsequent decades. TMR is unique in that it still has yet to lose it's edge. It's like some weird bastard mix of jazz, folk, blues, psychedelic, and avant-garde music. You don't have to like it, and doing so doesn't make you smarter. But It sounds like directional chaos. It intially sounds bad until you look into it's construction and the way it's played. Granted, Beefheart wasn't a nice guy and the rest of the band was really responsible for most of the album. It's extremely unique."

I'm just getting into it. After 3 full listens I start to notice that some song parts sound pretty fucking awesome - Ella Guru, Moonlight, Pachuco Cadaver, Hobo Chang Ba and some more. Still find it quite daunting as a whole. Am I on the right track to loving it?

nobody pretends this is deep. if they do, they're retarded. I like it because it's weird, it's utter bullshit, and somehow it still sounds like good blues to me. it's an insult to musical common sense, like coincidental talent, as though a three year old vomited on a wall and it looked like a michaelangelo

then fuck off then

I like TMR but I think his other stuff is better like Clear Spot

I feel like the only people who can really appreciate the album are people that have a deep passion for music, be it listening or playing an instrument. Normies can't into beefheart