Ok, three tracks in and that's enough. This is such a massive cringe fest...

Ok, three tracks in and that's enough. This is such a massive cringe fest. He should've just kept it as a blog or something, 'cause this is asstastic. I absolutely would've loved everything about this nihilistic romp through the modern era when I was 18. I'm glad I grew out of it. I can't believe anyone beyond their teenage years continues to be so intellectually dense. "The earth is a spinning marble all alone and we're here for no reason at all." Ugh the melodrama.
"I hate to say it, but each other's all we got." Based on what? Your feeling? I'm so glad he's wrong about that. "I hate to say it, but I'm morally posturing and pandering for the applause and accolades of the mentally impaired American majority." This is some grade A modern trash. I might even make a youtube series or something just going through the lyrics of each track. It really wouldn't be hard to dismantle the entire thing. Good grief. What should I listen to to get this taste out of my mouth?

the cringefest is the people who won't shut up about how pretentious they think the album is. it's a good album, deal with it.

>this is asstastic
This is an 18+ board.

>It's a good album, deal with it.
What did he mean by this?

>.This is an 18+ board.
>Implying

You're right, sorry for being flippant with my insults for one millisecond. But hey, at least you were able to use that as an excuse to dismiss everything else I said, so it wasn't completely without its merit.

lel, can't you see how you are being way more pretentious and cringier than Father John will ever be

No, I can't. Please explain it to me.

Why? It's not interesting musically or lyrically. It fails on every level as an album.

wew

Wew lad, this album was bad.

Go to bed Josh, your album's a pile of shit

you feel patronized by Father John when he is merely giving his perspective
he doesn't need you to agree on everything or even anything he says, he is not trying to tell you how to live and feel; only how he does
he is about as unpretentious as you can be by giving you his honest perspective and you are about as pretentious as you can be by implying that he is nothing but an edge lord trying to appeal to kids browsing reddit and that you are way above all that and won't be influenced by such superficial and melodramatic "artistry"

yeah but the album is incredibly boring have you considered that

I HATE SOMETHING DO YOU GUYS HEAR ME?????????????

I do think there is some serious pandering going on though (complete with applause breaks). It's littered throughout the first track. Don't kid yourself, he wrote this with his audience in mind. There's a large market for this type of thinking, and even though nothing is ever added to this worldview, it becomes revitalized every few years by whatever fedora decides to step up to bat. I guarantee he won't keep it up after the hype ends, because it's exhausting to be ideologically inconsistent, and many minds would be willing to debate this at any given time. So he has a few options: to bury himself in nihilistic fury, or to move on to another idea, and another way of marketing himself, which will likely be the case. I don't see how I'm being pretentious at all by giving my honest take. I might be wrong, but I'm not lying about anything.

Getting real mad about a boring album

holy fucking shit user. get help.

Get help? I'm just sharing my opinions, which aren't very radical. Get help... that statement reminds me of the theme of this record: attempting to dismantle everything about history, tradition, and humanity, without giving any solutions at all. That's the greatest sin about all of this.

you know what I do when I listen to a boring album?

holy fucking shit indeed

>he is about as unpretentious as you can be

but the album is 'i am better than everyone else, peasants are stupid'

The absolute state of Sup Forums.

>the theme of this record: attempting to dismantle everything about history, tradition, and humanity, without giving any solutions at all. That's the greatest sin about all of this.

>the album is 'i am better than everyone else, peasants are stupid'

I like the parts where you guys prove you completely do not understand the thing you are commenting on. Those are some real tasty parts you guys have there.

Then proceed to give a counter argument. You are on the verge of filling me in... what don't I understand?

when was the last time lyrics actually got discussed in a fucking rock album lol. say what you will but at least they're interesting enough to encourage discussion on them.

I've been amping myself up mentally to listen to this ever since it came out. i feel like im going to hate it, and it's going to piss me off. im trying not to use buzzwords like 'cringe' here.

I think what OP is TRYING to say is that this album is mostly enjoyed by fakes and hipsters that think they're the underground. Father John Misty is a great example of 'first world problems'. Anyone notice how depression has become niche these days? I'm tryin', I'm tryin' real hard not to use the word 'normie' here, but these fucking people, that don't really know what it feels like, true antisocial behavior, just dabble with this kind of stuff. They think they're so layered and deep for bonding over an album like this. The same kind of kids that have Father John Misty songs in their Spotify playlists also have The Strokes, The Killers, Sublime, and even Lil Peep. All that boyband crap. Except I actually like Lil Peep because at least he's honest about what he's doing.

There is no 'argument', there is a narrative and concept and it completely went over your head

Ok, but you keep telling me I missed the point, and yet you can't (or won't) explain what specifically is is that I missed.

OP here, and you are accurately summing up an aspect of what I was trying to say. Absolutely. I was slightly flippant with my language 'cause I just wanted to get it out there. It wasn't incredibly thorough or thought out, but the intention is there.

It's ok brother I share your anger. I'm going to try to listen to this for what it is and ignore the fanbase. I was a little shocked to see Fantano rate it so highly. A lot of my friends love it too. It's not real rock n roll, and I don't think it claims to be. It's just safe, manufactured, chamber pop shit.

Fedora indie