Star Trek: The Next Generation

Just started watching this for the first time. Seems over-rated desu. Episode 3 was boring.

Does it get better, or is it all just dull shit? I'm wondering if it's all just geeky masturbation that corporations use to sell cheap toys.

Aesthetics are cool, though.

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/6572205/r
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Emissary_(Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation)
skippable.tumblr.com/post/87668927512/star-trek-the-next-generation
letswatchstartrek.com/tng-episode-guide/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Season 1 of TNG is overrated even though it's considered extremely bad and that it was purely through Star Trek's pre-existing popularity it survived long enough to get good
>But hey let me totally act like I fit in here by saying DAE hate corporations LOL?

Never EVER EVER post on this website again. Go right back to redd.it where you came from.

>pretending like I came here to hang out with asspies

ha ha, just make your comment and move along user. I promise I won't make fun of your fetish show anymore.

Once Roddenberry leaves it gets good. I forget if he ruined the first 2 seasons or was it 3?

so do I skip ahead, or do I have to suffer through the first few seasons?

Okay I just looked it up, Roddenberry fired 30 writers within the first 26 episodes, and left at the beginning of season 2, and since season 2 was left rudderless without any good writers I'd suggest you skip that season as well and start on season 3.

but will I miss any plot points?

Pros of skipping to season 3:
>you get to the good stuff right away

Cons of skipping to season 3:
>you won't understand all our dank memes
>rude 4channers will call you mean names if they find out you skipped

If you do skip to season 3, just make sure to watch
>Conspiracy
>A Matter of Honor
>The Measure of a Man
>Q Who
and
>The Emissary
first.

don't be a fag and watch it all

you can skip every Wesley episode tho

also probably every Troi/her mother episode

Don't skip all of S2. There are some great episodes.

Not really, watch the far point stuff (as that relates to Q and the series finale) first 2 episodes, and watch "skin of evil" where Tasha Yar dies as that will relate to some future episodes. Other than that you're good. Sorry for the spoilers bro.

Shit-tier series

So shit that you can skip 2 fucking seasons, kek

glad i didn't start watching this shit

Just watch voyager its 3x better.

strawpoll.me/6572205/r

A-Koo-Chie-VOY-a/VOYagerm here.

Can confirm, it's an exciting and gripping adventure through the unknown starring Captain Katherine Janeway and her crew of rigid Starfleet & brash Maquis.

>this small poll means i'm right

Get this off my screen, Mr. Tulok.

>Roddenberry, the Lucas of TV.

Stay mad piccard fag you faggots would not know good SI-FI if you buttfucked a green alien.

>The Emissary
Uh, user, that would be revealing all of Best of Both Worlds to him before he gets to it (unless it was your intention to deceive).

Q is just the writers masturbating furiously. DeLance is good, but you can skip Q episodes, and the terrible two-part pilot.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Emissary_(Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation)

Just giving OP a fair warning that most fans consider Voyager to be the worst Star Trek.

In fact, judging by your posting style, you might be deriving pleasure from intentionally misleading the OP.

Can only cite the times when Janeway "broke" the prime directive as reasons why it's bad.

Conveniently ignore all the times Piccard did it.

I'm rewatching with this guys list

skippable.tumblr.com/post/87668927512/star-trek-the-next-generation

DS9 is the GOAT Trek show.

Alright, so far the list of episodes I need to watch before skipping to Season 3 is:

>First two episodes (already did that)
>Conspiracy
>A Matter of Honor
>The Measure of a Man
>Q Who
>The Emissary
>skin of evil

Is that it?

oh shit, thanks user

I just finished S1 and I'm halfway through S2. I don't get all the hate for it. The Rape-gangs constantly getting mentioned was actually pretty funny, plus watching a member of the main cast actually die made the show more interesting to watch.

That episode where they all get super drunk from a virus that is transmitted from sweat is a great one and a throwback to TOS.

Also The Last Outpost is still one of my favorite episodes so far. Can someone post webms of the ferengi doing those hilarious hand gestures and movements?

This show fucking sucks, every B plot is some completely uninteresting techno babble faggy shit. There's like a handful of good episodes, it's not worth watching 6 seasons for. Darmok episodes are few and far between.

>watching voyager on BBC america
>it's the episode with this guy
GOAT

>baby's first false flag

>skip A Matter of Perspective
>skip The Most Toys
>skip Clues
>skip Disaster
>skip Ship in a Bottle
fucking garbage list

Only redditors and tumblrkin skip, they're fucking degenerates.

You can skip Skin of Evil.

Tasha dies. That's all you need to know. That's literally ALL you need to know. The episode isn't even about her death. It's about Riker versus a Poop Monster. She's just an afterthought.

Ignore that person's list, something's wrong with it.

I mean, something's actually wrong with it, the formatting is fucked up and the wrong episodes are crossed out.

Look at the "Episodes Skipped" number versus how many are actually skipped. They don't match up. And some really terrible episodes like Shades of Gray are on the watch-list. It has to be an accident.

Once you hit season 3, just watch every episode and make up your own mind.

>skipping anything
>especially an episode where a main cast change occurs
literally noose yourself, reddit

what about this skip list:
letswatchstartrek.com/tng-episode-guide/

>especially an episode where a main cast change occurs
There's a main cast change in The Child, why didn't you recommend watching that?

Oh, right, you're a dumb casual who forgot.

OP, skip The Child AND skip Skin of Evil. Don't force yourself to watch bad episode just because something """important""" happens in them.

>The Survivors Rating: 2 – Skippable
>Who Watches the Watchers Rating: 2 – Skippable
I can't read any further, this list is garbage.

Once you hit season 3, just watch every episode and make up your own mind.

If you skip any episode of TNG you're a useless piece of shit. Every episode, no matter how bad, contributed to our shared culture, and is full of memes that you will not be privy to. You're nothing but an outsider looking in who isn't even willing to put in the "effort" of sitting around watching a TV show to understand what Trek is really all about. Pathetic.

>That episode where they all get super drunk from a virus that is transmitted from sweat is a great one and a throwback to TOS.

I just thought it was lazy writing. And no one on the bridge crew actually went through the original Enterprise's log either during school or after being assigned to the Enterprise?

The deal with the first 2 seasons is that Roddenberry was so into his humanitarianism and visionary bullshit, and since Star Trek was his vision of the future he only wanted to depict a perfect utopia, he told the writers there was to be no conflict between characters or even between other species within the federation. But you can't write a series without any conflict, at least not an entertaining one, and this upset Rodenberry big time, which is why- as I said here he fired 30 writers in the first 26 episodes.
TNG succeeded in spite of Roddenberry, not because of him.

This.
If you skip or follow skip guides than you're a fucking casual and might as well be a r*dditor.

I am a casual. Compile skip list plz.

>Just giving OP a fair warning that most fans consider Voyager to be the worst Star Trek.
What kind of way is that to ingratiate someone to a series that had a few bad eggs but some really good ones? To satisfy one's need to hate something or it to be better than another series? Don't out yourself as these type of people that fall for authority appeal and mass appeal as if it's a substitute to actually watching the series and making your own determinations.

Step one, take a rope. Throw one end over a tree.

Which small things annoy you in Trek?

For me it's everyone in the crew being an engineering/computer expert.

>To satisfy one's need to hate something or it to be better than another series?
Yeah, like that poster who started this conversation with "Just watch voyager its 3x better."

I don't see you criticizing them. Are you some sort of hypocrite?

>The Thaw with Michael McKeown another rare of episode of a good season 1 and 2 Voyager episode but damn does it deliver.

>That face off between the doctor and Fear was priceless

>Yeah, like that poster who started this conversation with "Just watch voyager its 3x better."

I should have started it with "well not 3x better but it's definitely worth your time to watch it because it actually gets good around season 3-hits its stride in 4-5, then tapers off especially by season 7" but I preferred to make a snarky comment in the moment.

Any list that says to skip Clues must be a joke list, it's one of the strong ones from season 4.

Hypocrite pls go.

>Any list that says to skip Clues must be a joke list, it's one of the strong ones from season 4.
christ I can't even imagine what kind of braindead troglodyte that would skip that episode

Who is he false flagging specifically? It sounds like "this show sucks" which wouldn't be a false flag unless he said he was a fan of ds9 or represented some other group's opinions

He's trying to make Darmok fans look bad by insulting the rest of the episodes. I suspect he was triggered in a prior "favorite episodes" thread because he didn't understand it, which happens from time to time.

Rev up that Deep Space 9, M. Night Famalan

If you're going to go with someone's list at least go with this one

Never rotate your crew members to other duties on other bases and ships, but do promote them all.

You have to be a genius just to get into the Academy, mate.

>Every episode, no matter how bad, contributed to our shared culture, and is full of memes that you will not be privy to.
Exactly, you'll never experience the OUTRAAAAAAAAAAGEOUS Okona [cue laugh track] or Data being smug as fuck at blackjack, or the Pakleds.
Don't skip. Even bad Trek is still good Trek, really.

That list is quite shit desu.

I just watched DS9: "One Little Ship" where even Nog and Kira (who isn't even in Starfleet and has spent her life hiding in caves) are hacking the warp core.

disregard i'm retarded

Why?

Some of it I disagree with but for the most part it's fine, and a hell of a lot better than that Tumblr list.

fyi Code of Honor was not sexist.
It gave a ton of work to black actors and extras. Could've emulated any other culture.

>Data being smug as fuck at blackjack

This is where you totally failed since that episode is a fun episode. Generally liked amongst Trek fans or at least liked within the first two seasons.

>Generally liked amongst Trek fans
Just say that you personally like it and then at least you'll be being honest.

I've been in multiple threads where people have also expressed similar opinions about it. I got the webm from someone posting it as an example of one of the better s1-s2 episodes

Why did they bring boring beverly back?

>I've been in multiple threads where people have also expressed similar opinions about it.
How many people? 3? 4? Wow.

You're thinking of Emissary. The first episode of DS9.
He's talking about a Klingon episode from season 2 of TNG

DS9 > TNG > ENT > TOS > VOY

Could be worse. You could be watching Voyager where the crew come up with items that the Idiots in Star Fleet couldn't come up with.

Lost in space, and low on supplies? Let's build an uber shuttle that puts those engineers at the dockyards to shame.

Sex appeal.
The 90s were a little different.

Necessity brings creativity

>How many people? 3? 4? Wow.
I don't know how many since they were all anonymous posters. But as an example of an episode to skip seems a bit deceptive.

Some people seem to hate Pulaski since she was a meanie to Data for a few episodes.

"Commander, tell me about your sexual organs."

Don't be disingenuous, you know that you were only a few posters. And there is always *surprise* when one The Royale fan finds another, because you're all so very rare.

That's still the wrong filename, you fraud.

Because Gates was hot, and with Roddenberry gone, there was no need to hire his old squeeze.

>Don't be disingenuous, you know that you were only a few posters

No, I don't. From my experience, it seems there's always one lone guy hating on it and more than 2-3 guys agreeing.

But you seem to have missed a line in my last post about pointing it out among three episodes to skip and I do believe that's you throwing a little bait. It's one of the good ones from early TNG. To each their own.

>don't try so hard with each successive post, please, I'm starting to feel bad for you

Once I found a nest. Taspars had mated and built a nest in the eave of a burned-out building. And I found three eggs in it. It was like finding treasure. I cracked one open on the spot and ate it... very much as you just did.

You can skip through most of the first two seasons, just watched the highest rated episodes.

>No, I don't. From my experience, it seems there's always one lone guy hating on it and more than 2-3 guys agreeing.
Well, it's a good thing that the Star Trek fandom is made up of only 5 people.

>that feel when you meet another fan of Move Along Home

Sad that they don't realize those scenes were character development for them.

>Well, it's a good thing that the Star Trek fandom is made up of only 5 people.

You are only speaking for yourself as well, so we'll have to stalemate for the time being. You could start up a strawpoll.

>just watched the highest rated episodes.

>Contagion
>Under the Long Lasdder
>Samaritan Snsare
>Haven

I liked Royale, but then again The Last Outpost is one of my favorites. So I guess I like the more silly episodes of Star Trek more than the serious ones.

Also The Neutral Zone was a cool episode. I like watching when they run into Southern people like the redneck musician in Neutral Zone and the rich southern guy in royale.

I do like when they visit other worlds with an away team because you get to see new sets.

The only times I really liked watching Wesley was when he took over engineering during that drunk virus. And when he tried joining Starfleet Academy since it lets you see how people who join Starfleet are selected and tested, also because those two other girls trying to join starfleet were QTs.

Yeah, it was pretty good stuff. The idea that a main cast member is skeptical of Data's sapience is pretty compelling. I wish there were a few more hurdles that the crew had to overcome in order to get along with each other.

Look, if someone doesn't already have a love of Star Trek (or is a decent human being who wouldn't think of skipping), S1 and S2 are full of so much awful shit, it's easily enough to turn someone off the show as a whole and miss all the great episodes. Better to watch some shows than none.

Anyone else notice how much waifu bait these shows have?

The writer's opinion of the episode:
>"I've completely disowned the piece. I suppose skeletally it's my story, but when I started to reread the rewrite, I got ten pages through it and I got sort of a cold chill and had to put it down. An interesting thing is that the cast, the crew and even secretaries went out of their way to tell me how much they liked my draft, and they asked me in a totally puzzled manner, what on Earth had happened and why we had changed it. All I could do was shrug. Of course this is all my opinion, and you'd probably hear something different from the other side...I felt like a lot of the comedy was taken out. A lot of the surrealism was taken out. I feel that it's very heavy-handed now, and it's gone from being a strange episode to being a stupid episode."

Jammer's Reviews rated it 1 star out of 4.

SF Debris rated it 2 out of 10.

Ex Astris Scientia rates if 4 out of 10.

The writer isn't always right. Critics aren't always right. I'm not always right. But a negative opinion of that episode seems to be the general opinion throughout the fandom.

>Even bad Trek is still good Trek, really.
Every Troi episode is wretched.
Every Crusher episode is ghastly, except the one where she was in that parallel universe bubble.
Every Wes episode is insufferable except The Game and First Duty.

>Every Troi episode is wretched.
>What is Face of the Enemy

I have her nudes somewhere, just nips.

That episode fucking sucked. Geordi has no game.

geordi going full autismo was actually surprisingly funny

Ill be your friend too. Really the only issue with that episode is the ala marang rhyme.

Not him, but the thing about that episode, and many of the "weirder" ones from S1-2, is they offered some respite from the absolute tedium and offensively bland shit that was the norm. It tried to do SOMETHING, you can give it that at least.

they had torres, who could build a sentient android from scratch in a few hours and reprogram a doomsday weapon so well it couldn't be undone