Is this the greatest filmic expression ever created?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1liS68YtVaA
youtube.com/watch?v=CWnYIb2lqpo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Yes

Maybe if you like absolute crap and enjoy shitty acting and goofy looking actors

No the writing was too obvious, you knew exactly what was going to happen in every scene if you have more than half a brain of course

Pure kino.

No but I guarantee it's going to win best picture. Movies about Hollywood are the purest Oscar bait there is.

mfw people liked this trash

7/10 at best, whiplash was way better

kys reddit

Well, at least it's better than the last 5 best picture winners

it's hard to hate on the movie when it's mostly a feel-good time and the cinematography is pure aesthetic to the eyes.

That said, it has some drawbacks.

The actual score is limited. They recycle the same songs with different arrangements multiple times (I cringed when I had to hear "city of stars" for like the 4th time). Also the film has a lot of flashbacks, which I wasn't too crazy for (I did like the alternative ending montage tho, overall the editing was very unique). The flashbacks and harsh cuts occasionally made the film feel a bit jumbly, but I believe that was intention to get you lost in its world.

The jazz/pop song that Sebastian played with the band wasn't terrible desu.

Also I'm not sure if it was just my theater, but the FPS was really low during the choreographed dancing scenes. Made it harder to appreciate what was going on (perhaps intentional to hide flaws).

The movie was really relateable and the acting was good as you'd expect from the cast. I did like the film's message about pursuing your dreams and how relationships sometimes just mark a place in time that you can look back on.

Overall the film does way more things right than it does wrong. This film could've easily been a complete flop if they didn't organize/do things in the way they did. Also if Ryan/Emma weren't in it, it would've suffered hard. The transitions to songs and the clever use of lighting was absolutely seamless. I wouldn't be mad at all if this won best picture as it's certainly is one of the more original films to come out in the past decade. I have to give the director tremendous props for the ambition/creativity.

Overall, the film is very theatric and is a love letter to the industry and the city where it thrives. If you don't like any of these things, you probably won't enjoy the film.

>Also I'm not sure if it was just my theater, but the FPS was really low during the choreographed dancing scenes. Made it harder to appreciate what was going on (perhaps intentional to hide flaws).

I noticed this too. Really bothered me. Loved the movie and it was my favorite of 2016 but I thought it was just my theatre as well. Unless we saw it together.

Can someone attach the black pillar next to gooslings leg? I always look at this poster and see a goofy southern hick dancing

Shilling too hard bruh

Did they enlarge her height on that poster? Seems off?

Are you kidding? Or course the writing was obvious, you're missing the entire point of the movie.

This type of shameless racism isn't allowed on Sup Forums. Fuck off.

It's the worst along with star wars the force awakens

But reddit loves this trash

I think that it definitely needed some more songs. Especially since I feel that it kind of stops being a musical between Goose and Frog's dancing in the stars scene and the singing monologue about the aunt.

Its not racism if its against white cuckies with micro dinks :^)

She is closer to the camera so she looks bigger

>But reddit loves this trash
Really? Oh shit, now I have to hate it because we must always do the opposite of what reddit does.

This kind of toxic groupthink makes me hate both sites at times. Sup Forums is just as bad.

>goofy looking actors

You mean aesthetically beautiful and healthy human beings that aren't sporting your tripple-chin and disgusting body hygiene?

nice grammar, Diego

>>>/newgrounds/

>tfw you've never jerked off to a BLACKED scene, yet still immediately recognize the aesthetic

>tfw you realize it's just a question of time before (((they))) promote it as legitimate art

I drive....

>ITT closeted amerikuks

Reddit and redditors were shilling it. Its oscarbait you retard, think.

Award shows where award shows win awards: the movie

Holy fuck, Hollywood is the most self-obsessed place on earth.

This guy needs someone else to write his scripts.

None of his characters feel like characters. They just sound like vehicles to deliver the themes and ideas of the movie in a bland flat way. And if it's not flat, then it's overcompensating (i.e. insult scenes in Whiplash)

same here.

The conematography is top-tier but everythign else is trash.

Check out Kendra Sunderland's scene, that is very well-shot.

this
its shit, glad my waifu dropped out of it

havent seen this movie but it seems like some real fedora shit

>I only listen to REAL music such as jazz. Davis, Coltrane, the list goes on

It is and sadly half this board is full of fedoras who smell their own farts

>music can not be judged

kys

i never said that. my point is that the movie seems to be some nostalgia goggles wank fest.

Literally the only people who hate on this movie are people who've never experienced good live theatre. No, your high schools production of Rent doesnt count.

I've heard people say this is like a Bollywood film.

Is that true?

I loved the opening scene, that must've been a pain in the ass for them to make.

and yeah, I'm not the musical type but I thought this was great.

Is there a single song or moment in this shit flick that even touches Band Wagon, Singin' in the Rain, 42nd Street, or Hello Dolly?

youtube.com/watch?v=1liS68YtVaA

The music is pretty lame. This is the only song I even slightly enjoy from the film.
youtube.com/watch?v=CWnYIb2lqpo

Singin in the Rain is playing at Century theaters on January 15th. Just go see that, guaranteed better experience.

Yeah there's lots of songs in the first half then a very long haul without any at all, felt kinda weird

Still, lovely movie, exquisite rhythm to it (both on a macro scale (pacing) as on a micro scale (editing)) which gave it a sort of energy that just swept you up and took you along for the ride. That's something that Chazelle was also very good at in Whiplash so I'm curious to see what kind of movie he'll make next and if it'll have that quality once again.

For the rest I pretty much completely agree with this guy, and I feel like it's probably my favourite from 2016. If anything I immediately felt like I wanted to see it again.

>as it's certainly is one of the more original films to come out in the past decade. I have to give the director tremendous props for the ambition/creativity.
It's nothing but a vapid retreading of past MGM musicals. Demon Barber of Fleet Street and Chicago were more original than this shite.