Which one Sup Forums?

which one Sup Forums?

VVitch

It Follows feels like a decent Twilight Zone episode (from the 80s or 00s revivals of the show at least) unnecessarily stretched out to be a real movie, resulting in a terrible second half and the ending.

VVitch

those were both trash

you know the guy that wants to be fashionable but ends up wearing some artificial fabric/nylon suit vest, a purple tie, and jeans?

That's the equivalent for these movies.

They are essentially entry-level pleb movies that wanted to be something deeper and appeal to wannabes.

It Follows by a margin

>Sup Forums tricked me into thinking vvitch was a good movie when I watched it
>watched it with my friends on movie night
>can tell through the change of atmosphere in the room that nobody liked it
>I kept cringing at parts and getting second hand embarrassment with all the boring and bad scenes
>"haha user, you aren't picking the next film for movie night that's for sure!"-greg

goddamn I hate all you guys

The Witch, no contest

>The witch
>Entry level pleb horror

Try harder faggot

the witch really was

it's like Ex Machina. It's a movie that appears at face value to actually be something deep and good, but it's just a pleb movie.

if you want to be scared, probably neither. but i liked the vvitch a lot.

The 7/10 Tomisina should have kept a group of guys busy for an hour and a half? Plus is everyone completely silent and autistic?

VVitch but only because the female protag in it follows was a total slut

You know the guy that wants to be fashionable but ends up wearing some artificial fabric/nylon suit vest, a purple tie, and jeans?

That's what contrarianism is.

Okay, please name some good movies with similar themes/atmosphere. I want to be educated.

THe VVitch because the slutty daughter becomes empowered and they use a lot of 'look we are an arthouse movie' conventions and camera angles.

Not him, but I liked 'A field in England'. Felt a bit more organic.

I preferred VVitch, if only because it felt more like something I hadn't seen before. It had a few moments of full-retard, but most of the time it was creative and creepy at the same time. I liked it a lot.

It Follows was also a great movie that essentially felt like:
>Remember all those teen-horror flicks we did in the 90s? Scream, I Know What You Did Last Summer and so on? Well what if we took that formula and made it scary.

That being said VVitch won because it was actually scary at times.

It Follows was a clever piece of nostalgic horror-bait but it never managed to actually creep me out.

>>watched it with my friends on movie night

fucking normie REEEEEEEEE

Just a reminder;

Thomasin did nothing wrong.

VVitch was great, the setting and the child actors were great

It Follows is another garbage horror flick that you forget in 1 day

they're both shit

Looks great, thanks user.

The best horror movie that has come out recently is The Boy. So I vote that

The movies that exist in your unrestricted imagination are shittier than both these movies that actually exist and had to contend with the difficult reality of logistics and collaboration. That's how worthless you are.

stop justifying trash films and support good shit

both good. vvitch was better

oh it's this snowflake

I liked it a lot, it reminded me of Bad Ronald, but I wouldn't call it the best.

Name examples so people can arbitrarily declare them terrible exactly like you are you joyless bag of shit.

The Finale Girls, if we include horror-comedies.

VVitch, of course.

It Follows was slightly better than The VVitch. Slightly.

Evolution > The Witch > It Follows > Babadook

that happened because you watched it with fucking low IQ retarded fucking normies

The Witch, since it's actually good.

>The Witch
pretty bad if taken as a horror movie, but enjoyable nontheless

>It Follows
pretty bad all around

>Evolution
10/10 Duchovony kino

>Sup Forums tricked me
Anything praised here is something you can be sure of is going to be shit.

VVitch was fucked up

That fucking baby ointment jesus christ

Both are comfy horror films.

It follows had better aesthetics

>pretty bad if taken as a horror movie, but enjoyable nontheless

How so?

There are different forms of comedy, eliciting different forms of amusement. Slapstick isn't the same as black comedy, just to mention a couple of examples. Now, just like there are different comedies and different kind of laughter, there are different kinds of horror films, eliciting different kinds of fear. The Witch tries to build a horrific atmosphere, to make you feel like you are living someone else's nightmare. In this it succeeds. It's actually one of the best horror films of the last 25 years.

It has good atmosphere but it isn't scary so therefore it's not a good horror movie

I once put on Apocalypse Now for movie night. It was a disaster. It's not Sup Forums's fault that you and I don't know not to watch slow burning psychological dramas with your mates...

We watched Movie 43 the other day. The movie made me want to fucking die, but I had a swell time anyways!

No horror films are scary. The best horror films are just good films on a level beyond a conformity to the tropes of the genre.

It Follows

Is The Witch a horror movie?

Your friends are shit. Ditch them and then you can appreciate true kino.

Fuckin Greg

If the general opinion is it's wank, then it probably is. This meme of "muh normies" is just fucking ridiculous.

It Follows is the best pleb filter of all time. It's garbage.

I think pretty much every good film would be considered "wank" by unsophisticated audiences who just want something to distract them for two hours. You can post your fedora images but it's the truth.

Horrors are meant to scare people. If even "unsophisticated audiences" don't find it scary then it's failed at it's soul-purpose. Ergo, it's wank.

What self respecting adult is 'scared' by a movie? Can you imagine a grown man quivering behind a pillow, unable to look at imaginary moving pictures on a screen? It's a terrible metric to judge film by and doesn't even make sense.

I don't think that providing scares was the intent of the film. Filing everything into a genre box and then deciding its quality by how well it conforms to your idea of that genre seems like a very simplistic and restrictive way to view cinema.

You should be able to work out what the film is aiming for as you're watching it and then assess how effective it was at delivering on that, rather then deciding what the film is supposed to be in advance and then docking it points because it's not the film you expected it to be.

Both are great. I'd go with It Follows, though.

Witch is 100% entry level, what are you smoking? It's filled with cliches from top to bottom and has little to no tension in the story whatsoever

You realize that lack of tension makes something less "entry level" right?

you and your friends are plebs

Not necessarily, fucking obviously. I meant dramatic tension.

If the trailers are anything to go by, yes

The entire film feels inevitable in terms of plotting but I thought it was the texture in the setting that made The Witch stand out.

>If the trailers are anything to go by
Which they shouldn't be.

I thought the set design itself was good, but the culture of the setting was far more rooted in modern cliche's than actual historicism

The film was heavily based on New England folklore and written accounts of witchcraft from the period.

>I thought the set design itself was good, but the culture of the setting was far more rooted in modern cliche's than actual historicism
I don't know enough about the time to judge that, but it presented enough of a feeling of authenticity that I was drawn in.

Only watched the witch and it was complete fucking shit. I could smell the "professional critic" audience loving it from a mile away and everyone else hating it. It follows is probably the same.

Why did you think it was shit? As someone who hasn't loved a film this much for at least ten years, I'm curious.

>I could smell the "professional critic" audience loving it from a mile away and everyone else hating it.
I found it to be a very engrossing film. It's the only thing I watched this year that I wholeheartedly liked.

>I could smell the "professional critic" audience loving it from a mile away

I can smell your MAGA hat and Cheeto fingers through my monitor.

I'm absolutely certain that you are a well-respected individual in real life whose opinions are greatly valued by those around you.

>I can smell your MAGA hat
Nice strawman, redditor. I'd take a bullet for Trump with zero hesitation and I think The Witch is the MOTY.

You're not wrong
It's a movie that takes its time, requires patience, focuses on visual storytelling and the ability of the actors...

But in the end is about nothing, with an ending that's meant to provoke false excitement

At least you live up to the stereotype of being easily offended.

It's an arthouse movie with a thin plot, boring characters, empty symbolism and nonsensical story. I've seen millions of those, I'm not shocked anymore. Atmosphere was good but not enough to carry the film.
The film is so ambiguous that you can carry on and pick whatever you want to tell me how dumb I am. I don't mind, it's exactly what the director pretended and why every single pro loved it so much.
Power to you man, just stating my opinion.
I'm spanish and cheetos make me shit hard bullets out of my ass so I don't eat them. I eat a shitload of fake doritos with mexican sauce though.
As much as you man.

you need to find a way to get back in greg's good graces if you're ever going to enjoy kino with friends again

>It's an arthouse movie with a thin plot, boring characters, empty symbolism and nonsensical story. I've seen millions of those, I'm not shocked anymore. Atmosphere was good but not enough to carry the film.
>The film is so ambiguous that you can carry on and pick whatever you want to tell me how dumb I am. I don't mind, it's exactly what the director pretended and why every single pro loved it so much.

I disagree, obviously, but I can understand where you're coming from.

So is "arthouse movie" the new slang for "I'm too dumb to understand it"? Stick to capeshit, kid.

You don't need to be quivering in fear for something to be "scary". If your heart rate goes up, you're on the edge of your seat in suspense etc. these are still the same symptoms of "fear", which is what horrors are designed to replicate.

The other consensus for horror films, which tends to appeal to people who don't care for the former is the gore factor.

So if a group of guys (judging by the fact they're watching a horror on movie night would suggest they enjoy horrors) think it outright sucks then it's more than likely failed in both of these areas. Anything else that may be good about it would make it not a horror at the very least.

My fault for generalising but most people on here don't bother to take anything into consideration if it's not their own opinion so I kept it short and sweet.

The Witch