youtube.com/watch?v=jwIJ-u1rAU4
youtube.com/watch?v=oZsBAvFn_5o
youtube.com/watch?v=WsM22uDAqbg&list=PL68BC2564CB7E6FC0&index=2
youtube.com/watch?v=sqSDMZjBcoI
youtube.com/watch?v=q6c-YAQq5Ao
youtube.com/watch?v=IkMtGTZMR-U
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The Gun Club

Black Flag by far, Greg Ginn's free jazz style guitar playing is fucking amazing and Henry Rollins was a great vocalist

Came to post this.

You already know

nomeansno

Lol no

This or Scratch Acid probably

This, the rest fuckin bullshit

There is no "best" punk band. One of my favourites is weekend nachos right now though.

Wire

or this

this or minutemen

It always cracks me up when people call Ginn's guitar playing "free jazz-influenced" while in reality he was just a bad guitarist who tried to play things way out of his league.

You posted it OP

The Gerogerigegege

Why do people like Black Flag? They are so fucking boring to listen to. Just barebones by the numbers hardcore.

The Minneapolis Uranium Club

Thanks for saying it so for once I don't fuckin have to

Greg Ginn is a pedophilic talentless cretin and every good song he was involved in (Damaged and earlier, and Damaged being good is pretty debatable) was purely by accident.

Because to the average teenager on Sup Forums hardcore begins and ends with early 80s bands

oh please they only know about Black Flag, in some cases they know Bad Brains as well, and if you are lucky they might know about Discharge. But none of them know about Varukers or anything else besides american hardcore.

Unwound
Fugazi
Big Black

Just got into Varukers, good stuff, any other recs ?

youtube.com/watch?v=Q07FkQTngWY
youtube.com/watch?v=hTSkw9sU928
youtube.com/watch?v=BHlDCSBMVWc
youtube.com/watch?v=3-LHC3F0sPs
youtube.com/watch?v=I4XxscpCp7A

Skrewdriver

Because they did it before almost anyone else did. They were one of the few who set the framework for it.

Thanks user

this is stupidest thing I have ever seen posted on this board

>barebones and by the numbers
Literally who was fusing free jazz and sludge metal together with hardcore punk during the 80s?

Rites of Spring. the rest is commie childish bullshit

this compilation too, if you are into the faster stuff
>terminal noisy bollocks
youtube.com/watch?v=-hTDxVDcXJ0
In fact, pretty much every single country on this planet (that had a punk/hardcore scene) has compilations like these.
If you want to check out old swedish hardcore, pic related

DEVO

epix, nyc hardcore will never die!!1

Point proven that my is brain dead retarded about modern hardcore music or anything outside the 80s for that matter. Literally one of the worst places in online music communities in terms of knowledge.

This

In terms of sheer angst I would have to go with Minor Threat
But musically speaking the Minutemen are the best

Absofuckinglutely

Dead Kennedys

It's literally just pointless noodling

Discharge
Chaos UK
Varukers
Disorder

this, but unironically

Flux of Pink Indians
Subhumans
Crass
Dirt

eat shit knob gobbler

Hardcore and metal are the only rock subgenre to be thriving and check the thread, only 80s bands. It will always be this way because mu are shut ins with their musical taste existing in a vacuum of context. A large part of music is community and live shows which users of this site don't do for the large part.

you want new stuff from active bands, fine.
youtube.com/watch?v=rerazXiNM6I
youtube.com/watch?v=MEmV46NO1nQ
youtube.com/watch?v=uqecpNZDGYQ
youtube.com/watch?v=vh3erLgWafY
youtube.com/watch?v=73ZS_w9WqqA

are you one of these anons that believe new equals better?

Gang Green

hell yeah now we're talking

Greg ginns guitar playing is not accidental he rehearsed for at least 6 hours a day 6 days a week

and still suck? damn, he should have practiced more. Black Flag are insanely overrated. they are the Metallica of american hardcore.

I don't think he sucks at all, and to say they're overrated is wrong. I hardly hear them ever get mentioned really

Minor threat
>major faggots

I'M DARBY CRASH
A SOCIAL BLAST

I go to shows sometimes, last show I went to I was there thinking, wow I could make a way better band.

but they are, everybody knows black flag, even people that have not even heard their music, owns a shirt. they are the kind of band you get into when you are 12-14 (like metallica), then you move on.

They're the band that people skim and like the aesthetics but few people understand. I didn't get into them when I was a pre-teen I got into them when I was 21. I have heard a lot of music since then and they still hold up as one of my favorites if not my favorite hardcore band

> few people understand
lol, do you feel special?

Unironically this

No I feel really fucking bad that I can relate to a lot of their lyrics and like their artwork. Its bad for my mental health

then why are you torturing yourself?

very common sentiment cause bands are usually shit but thats why you need to get active and start your own to prove that you can do better and hopefully inspire someone to think you sound like shit and to do better than you cyclically until someone makes something huge

I tried the other way but I'm doing both now. Getting drunk and going to school

to each his own i guess, good luck user.

Black Flag sure wasn't

I am so glad I am no longer alone in these threads fuck

really? the stupidest thing ive ever seen is this spamming to force a meme

So why don't you make threads with modern HC?

Ok thanks

Also I want to add on that I'm not that bad off, I am attractive and but go to college drunk often and when I drink I'm suave as fuck but without it im not

No not at all, but you can't deny the fact that any hardcore and punk thread on my is at least 80% shit from the 80s. Don't get me wrong, some of the best material did come from then but this board does not keep up with modern stuff at all and that's pretty undeniable.
What that other user said, then do it. I would say most hardcore bands suck but that's the appeal- anyone can do it and anyone does. Its mostly about passion for what you have to say or want to convey. I love seeing shitty hardcore bands because they usually give a shit about doing something with your life, and I've seen many that were straight horrible turn into great bands. Intimacy is surprisingly key in a genre that's very "tough".
I've been on this board since 2011and it is without a doubt in one of its worst states its ever been in. I don't waste my time here anymore with that because it doesn't get replies. I've done it in the past and sometimes there's one person who appreciates it but most of the time it either kills the thread or people ignore it and continue posting the dead kennedy's, minor threat and black flag with the same tired and rehashed arguments. I'm mostly on ck now. Id be glad to talk to you about bands tho
Active minds was a little too generic for me, I've heard stuff like that 1000x. Dystopian mind was cool tho, I like both punk a lot. You should check out bloody gears and plastic. Masgrave sounded like a mix of skate punk and crust which is sweet, dont see that often. Not a fan of the last one either but I'm not huge on that style like the first as well. I'm more of a nyhc style fan, gotta bring the riffs

well this is true, but i think it has something to do with most modern bands don't really know what's it's all about, and i guess they grew up with different records.
Active Minds sound different on most records, but they are still DIY til death and has been for 30+ years.
will check out the bloody gears one, thx user.
some more newer stuff
youtube.com/watch?v=jwIJ-u1rAU4
youtube.com/watch?v=oZsBAvFn_5o

I'm trying to but cant find anyone in new york

Mostly the sold out shows atleast in brooklyn are stuff like eyehategod, celtic frost, pg 99, exhorder all older bands

Also in new york i don't see anyone playing punk its all mainly metal or emo stuff

The sold out shows are older bands and the other shows are wack for the most part

you can always get into the scene yourself, if you have a garage or large living room (and not afraid of your stuff breaking), invite shitty local bands to play. out of state ones, some bands only need a place to sleep and some beer to play. some need money for traveling costs.

met some guys from Ukraine once, who traveled all the way to Gothenburg (Sweden), for a case of whiskey (they payed for their train tickets themselves), they borrowed instruments from some other band. anything is possible.

well thats because nyc is super fucking expensive, and while not mutually exlcusive, hardcore and super expensive things arent generally the greatest mixers. nyc used to have a pretty good scene in the late 00's/early 10's with all the latterman-esque bands but punk got pushed out to cheaper places like philly. it is mostly metal tho for sure, or at least crossover. that being said some of the best crossover stuff has been going on the last 5 years. its a city of 10 million people tho, theres gotta be someone you can do it with. just keep trying and talking to people.
its not like hardcore and punk are all about one thing, i dont really agree with you there. in fact i find that to be the antithesis to hardcore, which in my opinion can be about anything and everything you want within some limitations. it doesnt really matter as long as your passionate about what you have to say. i know a ton of young bands that "get it".

>all about one thing
of course not, i didn't mean it like that.
i think many of the newer bands are a bit to serious about things, and crave fame and recognition and forget to not give a fuck and have some fun.
not all, some.
you know, go nuts. ;)

>thats because nyc is super fucking expensive

That and that also brings a bunch of snobby nu males and rich trust fund hipsters. I see them all the time and its so annoying

Though I don't have a place of my own I'm gonna try

try finding like minded people too.

bad religion

Kinda hard to when your college is full of pajeets and chans. Fuck technology colleges, im gonna transfer

nah dude college is only temporary, you should stick with whatever gets you the best job. social shit will always be there after you graduate, and i can tell you right now whatever college you wanna transfer too isnt gonna be some social paradise. we're outsiders no matter where we go. i disagree about the nu-males thing (you'e not wrong, i just think its a shitty catch-all term) but yeah the snobby attitude does not jive with hardcore. that shit is despised and a lot of new yorkers have that problem. that being said theres some real ass people there too. have you been to a machine girl show yet?

also new harms way album came out today and its heavy as fuck

Modern hardcore music is garbage though

The Who.

no its just not for you. thats fine, you can sit at home with DK for the rest of eternity and no one will care

if The Who is punk so are these gals
youtube.com/watch?v=WsM22uDAqbg&list=PL68BC2564CB7E6FC0&index=2

I mean, it's not like the vast majority of free jazz doesn't belong in the trash. I don't oppose the concept or good examples of it, but most who try are tasteless wannabes who are just trying to be different so they can claim to have tried something unique and score easy pussy among pretentious jazz hipster gatherings.

Honestly this. I would also add rites of spring

They're everything punk never seriously attempted to be.

I don't want to actually be my major in college im just doing it as a back up so i won't be a 40 year old hobo. Also I have heard a lot of the upstate colleges/party schools have good active music scenes like in Binghamton and stuff. And no I havent, you talking about these guys? youtube.com/watch?v=sqSDMZjBcoI

loud or what?

>im gonna transfer
don't do what i did
you'll regret it
you can always learn any humanistic science on your own

I'm really suprised that no one mentioned youth brigade

Able to make fun of those they criticize instead of just themselves, plus themselves.

Is there anything worse than genrefags?

Everyone -
>these bands are popular and highly respected because they were innovators in the genre. Their music has stood the test of time and generations of fans have enjoyed them.

Genrefags -
>NO ACTUALLY THAT BAND IS ENTRY LEVEL GARBAGE. THIS BAND THAT CAME OUT LAST YEAR THAT NO ONE EVER HEARD OF IS WAY BETTER

yeah never happened
youtube.com/watch?v=q6c-YAQq5Ao
youtube.com/watch?v=IkMtGTZMR-U

>BBQ Chickens
Sounds like Maximum the Hormone pre-alpha Ver.

as much as i love rollins era black flag i gotta agree. their later work really doesnt warrant lots of listens and i think thats cuz of ginns playing.
im from upstate ny and went to college there, and know a lot of the bing music scene so if you have any questions or wanna talk about it id be more than happy to. IMO if youre thinking its some musical paradise up it is not. you have way, way, way more going on down by you. what year are you in school? if youre not a senior then i would change your major to something that you could get a job in but also that you wouldnt mind doimg, or could see yourself eventually liking. dont go to suny oneonta ill tell you that right now. bing is a good school and people i know there seem to have had a good experience. if you want some bing hardcore bands check out media limits and bad batch. i think sepsis came from there too. dont go to a college to party or expecting to party. youre doing it for the wrong reasons if thats what youre thinking. and fuck purchase. yeah a lot of good music comes out of there but its an incestuous bubble of a scene because theres nothing, and i mean NOTHING around the college for miles. its just you and the other students and guessing by the fact that youre on mu midday you probably arent the bee of the ball if you know what i mean. and yes i do mean that machine girl. do yourself a favor and go to one of their shows. they play all the time in the city and are cyberpunk in the truest form, plus the shows are great in that you can move any way you want whether it being moshing or dancing or a mix of both. one of the most cathartic things ive ever done was going to their shows.

not really a genre fag, i listen to a lot of shit, hardcore is just one of the only genres left with an actual community in real life. i never called anything entry level garbage, its just not worth shunning modern hardcore for the sake of reposts everyone knows