I don't get it. What did the Illuminati tapes have to do with his murders?

I don't get it. What did the Illuminati tapes have to do with his murders?

The ritual behind it. The rape and death of a child also played a part in motivating the fuck out of them.

>build up an interesting mystery
>dude it was just a retard in the woods lmao

he got the idea for them from his father, who was part of the original cult

The retards in the woods were just lower level lackeys. Was pretty obvious very high up people in the community were apart of the cult.

and? it's still a shitty ending that ignores all the things that made people interested in the show

>muh ctulu
>goddamn it why didn't an interdimensional portal rip open inside carcosa and Marty and Rust jumped in and started blowing away eldritch abominations

no. i am talking about the cult. i am not talking about reddit tier """theories"""

It doesn't ignore it, them not catching everyone was acknowledged.

They weren't ever going to, the best they could hope for was to take out who they could, which is what they did.

The preacher that was at the head of the cult when the videos were shot had already killed himself, back when Rust first stole the tape.

I suppose Rust can post everything on the internet and get people's jimmies rustled enough to go try and find the other people responsible but ultimately they were just 2 local cops in over their head.

>"Theories"
>There's literally an opening portal at the end of the show

What "theories" would those be?

The problem with the series is more and more evidence about the cult turns up and plot is about them instead of the murder, And when we only get a conclusion on the murder case the series does not have a satisfactory ending.

I am not some pleb faggot that wants an answer to everything "then rust got all cult members and everything was good and he got a medal" I just want some kind of conclusion about it.

The show have many scenes that alludes to bigger things. and those scenes are the best part. But NOTHING ever comes about it.

>year 2015+2
>people still pretending the last 3 episodes werent a massive copout

the way in which they arrived at errol as the cultprit is absolutely pants on head retarded.
>drawing from 10 years ago made by a girl high on acid depicts a green eared monster
>oh shit this house we passed by 10 years ago was also green
>the killer mustve been a painter! he uh he painted his ears green or something!
jesus fucking christ. the idea that he was wearing green earmuffs would've been an infnitely better connection.

I enjoyed True Detective and the movie The Nice Guys.

What are other shows like it?
I like its kind of ending where they really pushed themselves but in the end they couldn't really stop the inevitable. Something like Paths of Glory

Only way they could've done that is have a second season about the FBI coming in and shutting down local state agencies and performing their own investigation.

After the ending, it's entirely out of the hands of any character introduced in Season 1.

Yeah nah cunt

Fargo, both the movie and the show.

They usually have a victory but there's always more that they didn't catch.

Prisoners and to a greater extent Sicario, both both the same director.

I've seen Fargo S1, S2 and from the Coens. Yeah I overlooked this fact.

I'll check Sicario and Prisoners.

Thanks

Sicario has some pretty great moments and there's an unrelenting tension that grows as the movie goes on. There's a sequel in the works about Benicio and Broil's characters too.

It's a great ride, enjoy user.

Also Desierto (though 2nd act of this is pretty crap)

I thought ear muffs too. He's a gardener, those ear muffs they use for cutting grass would be perfect but instead he goes for green ears, how the fuck do his ears get covered in paint?

This is a serious question Nic needs to answer because it's too stupid to belive he chose this.

Would have been pretty cool actually

Because he put paint on them himself?

>Fighting an eldritch horror
>"what is this, Lovecraft? Shut the fuck up

Holy fuck EAR MUFFS?

I too thought it was paint, TD just hit 11/10

Prisoners is pure Kinography at its finest. Truly a cinematic experience!

it's one of rust's hallucinations

no shoggoths were harmed

You need to address your reading comprehension

who are you quoting?

i love TD but in the end it was a disappointment

>supernatural element is teased throughout the show
>turns out there's nothing supernatural at all, it's just the writer literally copying shit from lovecraft to use to describe the cult.
>instead of a theme of "time is a flat circle", its just plain regurgitation of philosophy said literally from one of the characters, never to be explored upon.
>tons more sophomoric regurgitation of philosophy. all of it is taken literally in the end.
>the ending was ripped right out of a comic book
>still people defend this shit over having the show take more risks

it would have been more interesting if it did go the supernatural route. but they kept it safe with the same "oh everything has a logical explanation" trope at the end that has been done a million times before. the show started out detached from reality but slowly grounded itself, which is a boring plot trajectory.

woody harrelson and mconaughey made this fucking show

>its a "dumb pleb who thought it was going to end with monsters and other dimension and shit" post

Should've done it kinda backwards: first get the retard, and while investigating him they find out about the larger conspiracy. Realizing they can't actually go against a senator and the top dogs of the cult, they settle for at least taking down the cunt who commited the actual murders, Reggie Ledoux.

I didn't get any hints of supernatural elements at all.

the scene where they catch reggie ledeux and he's sitting there quoting Nietzsche
>We'll do this again, time is a flat circle
>Ruste: What is that, Nietzsche? shut the fuck up

>everything has a logical explanation
>a trope

You might as well say realism or reality themselves are tropes, idiot

reggie and errol were once children abused by the actual, original cult

they started doing to people what was done to them

That part was tricky because while the series doesnt really do anything supernatural (Rust's hallucinations being the closest thing), the series directly references famous supernatural horror stories, like Robert W. Chambers' "King in Yellow" tales and Karl Edward Wagner's "Sticks". That threw a lot of people off and it's why many of the early theories pointed at something supernatural going on with the ritual murders (which are kind of a staple in weird fiction.)

Turns out Pizza doesn't even like those authors, and his rationale was basically "well, blaming it on something mysterious like 'the yellow king' does sound a lot better than the cliche satanic panic".

>leading the viewer on by teasing supernatural elements
>turns out it's just some wacky dudes that like to spout niezsche quotes

it's a fucking over-blown scooby doo episode, you retard

maybe if you're not familiar with lovecraft, you wouldn't. but since nick pizzaman ripped off him, the rest of us thought the show was going somewhere in that direction. the real problem isnt that the show didnt end up with rust fighting cthulhu, its that the writer injected the story with some weird horror bullshit that ended up being completely irrelevant to the plot.

His ears got covered in paint because he was outside the house with his ears pressed to the walls, listening to the family going to bed, after which he could abduct the child.

The paint was still damp in places. He himself painted the house green, its how he found his targets, and how Rust and Marty connected it to him. The local handyman retard, cutting grass, painting houses, abducting kids for daddies secret murders.

They literally explain this in the show you dunce.

not that user, but I'm familiar with lovecraft, and heard about the king in yellow story way before the show, never read it though.
It was pretty obvious that some serial killer uses these as a symbol for their killings or in the rituals he commits.
from hannibal lecter to dexter morgan, this concept is used over and over, there was nothing supernatural about murders.

dude see this green paint? lets go solve the mystery now

Anybody who thinks this is a reasonable explantion has mental illness.

I thought season 2 was going to be about a separate investigation at the same time that happened to coincide with the one in S1 towards the end then maybe season 3 could have built from there.

Instead it was just shit and the showrunner has no idea what he's doing and should've pulled a "Tell Me You Love Me" and refused to do a second season

>I thought season 2 was going to be about a separate investigation at the same time that happened to coincide with the one in S1 towards the end then maybe season 3 could have built from there.
After reading this I am more glad than ever that Pizza gave us the telekino that was season 2 isn't of trying to appease the dumb fans of season one.

The reason the whole cult arc was not concluded was because they intended to make an anthology where each season follows an unrelated team of detectives that uncover the same cult in another place, so the cult would have been the red thread that tied all the seasons together. They had high hopes for the series, so that's why they didnt end it in the first season.

The season conclusion was basically a cliffhanger, too bad season 2 sucked and they don't really intend to make any more.

wait what? that's the explanation given in the show

Why was season 2 so shit?

he saw his cousins raping and killing little girls and said 'guys can i join your secret cult pretty please' and the cult said 'no fuck off retard'
so he said 'you guys are meanies im gonna start my own cult and only im allowed in!'

Lovecraft is shit.

> heinous murders actually have no motive but le evil swamp man

Bravo Pizzolatto

>supernatural element is teased throughout the show

You are shit.

Checkmate, retard!

anti climatic endings are pretty good sometimes. IMO it worked on the show, since all the investigation was kinda muffled out by higher ups in the cult

season 1 had Rust

Rust made the difference
Rust was capable
Rust was mysterious
He was also tragic character
and this all masks that he was goodie two-shoes
doing always the right thing, telling others what the right thing is

And after all, we all want to be smart, charismatic, heroes, who seem to possess almost arcane knowledge.

Build a character like that, believable, without making it too obvious, and you can make even "dog plays with red ball and lost it" story good

so it was a fanservice with fulfillment character that made the show?

I dunno about that but its about building extremely interesting characters

Take the other detective character from season 2

he was tragic
he was tough, often ruthless
but we had him figured out after 2 episodes
the fact that he was a corrupt cop should have gave him depth
but not many people would want to be a drunk loser with fat kid who is a kite in the wind, crying on the phone when he talks to his ex wife or some shit.

I feel like i was the only one that didn't care for rust, he was such a "character" almost filmschool level of trying too hard. His edgy monologues combined with his "muh dead child" backstory. Writing 101

Marty was the real nigga of the show

So Pizzollato took inspiration from the Monster of Florence?

marty imo is just as interesting a character as rust and it's the dynamic between them that makes the season so great, I saw the actual case being investigated as a backdrop, the main focus was a character study of their partnership, their bonding moment at the end was the conclusion of that story

This is the right answer. But that doesn't mean the ending couldn't still be a lot better.

yeah I agree. it felt like a lot of potential wasn't used. and it's a bit regrettable that their story is completely wrapped up in 8 episodes since i would have watched 60 episode of those two solving crimes together

also it was the '95 rust and marty that were the best so we really only got 5 episodes, but at least we can say the show never outstayed its welcome I guess...