/prod/ - Music Production General

We are going to make it Edition

GIVE feedback and RECEIVE feedback. Upload WIPs on clyp.it/

Previous thread: →

>ATTENTION!
DON'T post Soundcloud, YouTube, or any other links where you are not anonymous (unless somebody asks you for it). That's considered self promotion and will result in bad feedback.

>RESOURCES:

Sound Design:
>SeamlessR (in-depth music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

>Rocket Powered Sound (Constant quality uploads of various EDM sounds in Serum with explanations that help make something unique)
youtube.com/channel/UCFReVt5TAC1zGnuNkgHw-fg

>Syntorial (widely considered the best place to go to learn synthesis)
syntorial.com/

>Mr. Bill (Ableton based, some of the best sound design tutorials on the planet. Aimed more towards IDM-type stuff. He also posts his music here)
youtube.com/user/MrBillsTunes

>BusyWorksBeats (explains hip hop in very elaborate ways in FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats

>Sadowick (explains old school electronic music in very elaborate ways in Ableton)
youtube.com/user/SadowickProduction

>ADSR Music Production Tutorials
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ

MIXING:

>Point Blank Music School
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg

>Pensado's Place
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

>Samori Coles (Compression, EQ, etc)
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos

>Modern Mixing
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos

FL STUDIO:

>WarBeats (Getting comfortable in FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos

>Image Line Tutorials
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists

WRITING:

>12tone
youtube.com/channel/UCTUtqcDkzw7bisadh6AOx5w/playlists

>Micheal New
youtube.com/user/Rhaptapsody/playlists

---
faggotry - Now with less autistic admins
discord.me/prodthread

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/l1wkumcm
youtube.com/watch?v=HamjCnXjOyk
youtube.com/watch?v=DeBttwxhKFc
clyp.it/3irchnmu
clyp.it/paklqtre
clyp.it/pzrfmgdt
youtube.com/watch?v=KQSsB7dwhjg
clyp.it/zzcya4p2?token=515799e2ad502762857cb3e469a2d3db
clyp.it/ixgyx4mb
soundcloud.com/heyitskoko
clyp.it/uw1da34a
youtube.com/watch?v=D1cW6NxHV1U
clyp.it/ze2ht5uq
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

recommend me some sound packs

bought the black octopus packs but they have a sound delay

actual previous thread

go to rutracker they have alot of sample pack

Not enough yellow

I need cool free synth vst recommendations

Is there any way to get the packs/max devices included in Live 10 on the cracked version? I'm most interested in the Surround Panner module.

(it's for learning purposes, i don't plan on releasing any music any time soon)

Can someone tell me, what's the effect where a sound sounds like its being repeatedly waterboarded? I mean it gets muffled and then clear in a cycle.

What is the best place to start producing music in Ableton Live?

Starbucks.

phase i'm guessing, though i wouldn't describe it quite like you did

with a mac book and soy latte

How do you even use a wavetable synth? I know what the basic waveforms sound like, and I know the idea of having a wavetable controlled with an LFO, but there are so many wavetables that I cannot possibly learn how they all sound. It's bad enough telling different square waves apart already.
How do you learn to use it?

clyp.it/l1wkumcm

Cutoff? Or the Noah 40 effect that sounds underwater? That one is by downsampling and with a low pass filter I believe

idk i just use presets and patches people made and tweak them

that's lame, i do that too but it's for plebs

Create your own wavetables derived from samples you like and play around with it. Start with something that would be hard to synthesize and use it as a foundation for something cool.

youtube.com/watch?v=HamjCnXjOyk

what is your fav chord progression
mines gotta be the classic I–V–vi–IV
can not go wrong

>it's for plebs

If you wanna be a badass and learn all about synthesis and make only your own sounds 100% from scratch go right the fuck ahead.. but it's silly to put down artists who don't have the technical expertise of a veteran sound engineer. There's absolutely nothing wrong with learning the way suggested.

/prod/ should be constructive. Let's do better

chad nexus user vs virgin sound designer

I've had my clyp ignored three threads in a row should I kms?

naw. make a long shitpost and put your clyp at the end
guarantee you'll get some (you)s and feedback

pls

Nektar LX49+ or M-Audio Oxygen 49? The Nektar controller is $30 more expensive, but both have the same features pretty much. I like the waterfall-esque keys of the Nektar better, too.

Which one should I get?

I had an oxygen 49 and some of the keys stopped working for no reason and the pitch bend went loose and doesn't snap back to neutral I wouldn't recommend it

ye I've heard a lot of bad things about the oxygen beds eventually shitting themselves. even the piano subr*ddit recommends against them

Wheres Ableton 10 crack for Mac ?

Its because they're so great and you're an awesome producer, no one needs to offer any advice

Honestly pretty much any of those cheap controlled might crap out on you

Akai is the equivalent to Scarlett rn though- they're both on the same level of shit but they seem arbitrarily picked as the go to cheap buy

Meh these threads are shit enough already

Thanks I figured (:

I guess my mix was perfect

Post it. I'll listen and give feedback

2 years later, all this gear and I still can't make a single track. Every time I buy a new piece of gear I think "this will definitely help me" and every time I'm wrong. It sits on my desk and collects dust. I'll come back and try and work on something, get frustrated after an hour of making fucking garbage and call it quits. fuck man

Just attach am image if you want someone to play attention to your post. Its an IMAGE board dummies

mmmm thanks

honestly i only ever posted it for validation and i was just bitching lol. that song is already done- other people need feedback a lot more than i do and i don't like begging for plays :p

What kind of gear have you bought?

The dirty secret with gear is it's like owning a guitar or an instrument. It doesn't help you refine a listenable track.

The good news is you can change. A track is difficult but not impossible, You just have to tell yourself, not to do any other music stuff until you've FINISHED a track. Just got to focus. It will take longer than you think too. You have google to help you with everything, do it

>it's like owning a guitar or an instrument. It doesn't help you refine a listenable track.

uhh definitely helps you refine

it doesn't write shit for you though

i thought this "overload on gear so i can't write shit" thing was a meme man wtf

ms20, 3 of the volcas, nice interface, drums, midi controllers, various little synths i just picked up

I always give myself excuses why i can't make anything worth listening to. stuff like "i don't really have my own creative space, i move around a lot so i can never have a dedicated work station" shit like that. I guess it's just because i'm not talented or don't have enough motivation anymore to try

All of his gear doesn't help refine his tracks

>ms20, 3 of the volcas, nice interface, drums, midi controllers, various little synths

this is what happens every time

>start working on something
>get a loop going
>"ah that sounds OK, I know I'd like to expand on this"
>don't understand music theory or keys or anything so can't fucking ever figure out what chords to write or how to even patch the sounds
>keep fucking around with sounds until i lose what i originally had
>give up

I had 100 projects in ableton i deleted the other day because i got frustrated.

youtube.com/watch?v=DeBttwxhKFc

i meant that more in the way of rerecording a guitar track with a nice les paul through a good amp is better than the japanese copy through your amp sim

that's less specific to electronic music i guess- i'm just saying nice gear will help you make nicer sounds, but not necessarily give you the capability to make good music

>>don't understand music theory or keys or anything so can't fucking ever figure out what chords to write or how to even patch the sounds

so work on that dumbass it's been two years wtf are you doing

What I mean by refine is turning the volume down or eqing out an odd frequency on one note for instance that sticks out too much.

stop buying stuff, go digital

sitting at a computer in software is boring as fuck. I like twisting knobs and patching things myself

Here's a book that helped me

clyp.it/3irchnmu

well if you're actually recording instruments you fix that stuff as much as you can on the way in

same with hardware synths. shit instruments sound like shit going in. not really a problem if you're software based

feedback?

clyp.it/paklqtre

True but things change when you're mixing

same

its a shame you cant buy creativity

Where can I pirate Ableton?

pic for attention

.wavs have a delay?

really dope

>technical expertise of a veteran sound engineer
Wow this is really dramatic. Just open up harmor and mess around with some shit until you get what you want, then EQ out the junk in the sound. It's fucking easy.

>mess around with some shit until you get what you want, then EQ out the junk in the sound

how is this different than loading up a preset that's in the ballpark range of what you're looking for, then tweaking and EQing until it's exactly what you want? It's better to waste hours fucking around just so you aren't a "pleb" ?

>It's better to waste hours fucking around just so you aren't a "pleb" ?

it definitely doesn't take hours to conjure up the patch you want lmfao wtf learn a synth already and you would know that you fucking casual

who /dirty beats/ here

clyp.it/pzrfmgdt

get some new drums bro that kick is clicky as fug

I mean like what the rimshot thing is doing here

youtube.com/watch?v=KQSsB7dwhjg

pretty good, i feel like this track has a punchy master but kinda not enough for this kind of music, try going overboard with transients, make it rupture ear drums like Iglooghost's tracks

does it have good potential though?

it's obvious you're just starting out bro.... finish your song and move on, the next one will be better

LFO assigned to filter cutoff. No specific name.

Ableton's Auto Filter does this thing

ah thanks m8

rate my new drumwork
clyp.it/zzcya4p2?token=515799e2ad502762857cb3e469a2d3db

anything with applied chords / secondary dominants and suspensions.

Half cadences are master-tier endings

I-III-IV-iv :^)

To all the producers here: You can't do shit. I am an actual artist and going to change and mix shit with different samples etc to make not full songs, but whole albums that include bridges, intros, outros and many different technique's to approach the samples I find. To me it's disgusting how you wannabe artists come here, take three seconds from Rubycon for a loop and think you're the shit. You are nothing.

Nobody thinks they're the shit here, that's why they are posting here instead of releasing music. And you are not too if you bother yourself with this stuff.

it's fucking pasta now dickhead

sometimes i just sit here and wish i had a 303

oops

clyp.it/ixgyx4mb
>poppy, bright sound
>EXTREME amateur

So why are we still posting tracks on clyp.it? I thought the whole purpose of this thread was to make things anonymous, meanwhile clyp.it always shows the uploader's name no matter what. And it's mp3 128 kbps unless you pay.

Move on to picosong already, Ableton can export to mp3 now.

the main chords are to simple, boring, predictable, repetetive, etc, remove them completely. but i think you could make something nice from the rest

>can not go wrong
Except I'm going to turn it off because it sounds like a million other songs and I don't have time for unimaginative plebs.

I know nobody will read this post but sometimes, when I’m browsing Sup Forums, I get really inspired by /prod/ threads and i put on a north face jacket, set up a mirror to look into while i dick around in serum while smoking cigarettes and muttering to myself in an irish accent

fuck it, why not use tor to post links, the CIA could track your ip for clout

you're doing it backwards

learn to make tracks first, then buy gear if you need it later on

Does anyone here by chance having some kind of "Akebono" drum kit?
A lot of old music I made used a lot of these assets and I don't have it anymore. I'd appreciate it if someone had it.

do you have usb midi cables? consider buying them, you can just write tracks in your daw and still have dat sweet analog

i'm talking about namefaggotry, not surveillance, silly user

soundcloud.com/heyitskoko

It's hiphopish beats what do ya think

nice dubs, im personally a fan of vocaroo

clyp.it/uw1da34a

Hi what do you guys think of this beat so far, inspired by cylob for this one. The looping sound is intentional, trying to make it sound like 90's idm

best in this thread by a landslide

>soundcloud
back to your containment general

>gear fags

how do I make a fade out like this @ 7:50

youtube.com/watch?v=D1cW6NxHV1U

love it, the percussion could be a little more dynamic specifically the hi-hats, im talking variation, effects // really good idm kinda fucks with the senses as your mind tries to comprehend every nuance as the track evolves over and over

Thoughts on this?

clyp.it/ze2ht5uq

worst in this thread by a landslide

Good idea, I'll get the layout of the song then go back add variation and bizzarre effects