Why do albums seem to be getting shorter by and large? So many people seem to be putting out 10 song on the dot albums...

Why do albums seem to be getting shorter by and large? So many people seem to be putting out 10 song on the dot albums. I notice it with at least half the record coming out this year, but it didn't seem to really pick up hard until recently. For so long anywhere from 10-16 seemed common. I've even seen a few 9 tracks recently. Had to check and see if I did something wrong when I was downloading the album the other day.

Other urls found in this thread:

vulture.com/2018/01/migos-culture-ii-isnt-an-album-its-a-data-dump.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

we either get an album with 10 songs, or 30, thats the modern trend, either not enough, or way too many

I'm okay with this trend, I don't like tracklists that go beyond 13, I prefer 8-11

I read that article recently that stated the opposite
vulture.com/2018/01/migos-culture-ii-isnt-an-album-its-a-data-dump.html
Shorter albums are fine, that's how they did it in the 60s and look how much great stuff came out of there.

I’ve never understood albums. I just listen to them until I realize which songs I like, then I listen to those. Once in a while I’ll go back through a full album, but they seem unnecessary to me. I don’t see how people can have fun while sitting down and intentionally listening to an entire album.

8-11 tracks is the right length desu. Anything over 50 minutes becomes difficult to take in.

>mfw listening to a 90 minute -long Hip Hop album

Things go in and out of style. In the 50's, 25 minute LP's were common. Look at any rock or bluegrass release from that era.

CD's made 50-65 minute releases more popular, as the medium had the room for extra tracks. This was especially true in hip hop, where extra tracks were seen as providing additional value.

You are listening to bad albums

You mean 30-35 minute

Most artists don't have the talent to make an album with greater than 10 songs worth giving a listen. I don't want a 25 song album if half the songs are trash.

Better that than something like culture 2

how old are you?

Culture 2 was really good though.

Is this bait?

I get everything I want off youtube, then remaster it. And I don't mean EQing. It's a whole process, which doesn't involve an EQ at all. I rarely find a song that I can tolerate the mastering. It's all fucking terrible. The artists still get money from me watching/downloading and subscribing. It's all they fucking deserve.

>It's all they fucking deserve
why

get off this board right now

If they have so little care for their work that they let the producer compress and clip it to shit, then they don't deserve more than whatever youtube/vevo gives. I'm not going to buy an album that's been destroyed on release. I can repair and clear up most of the music I get, so it's a win/win.

I agree, it makes the album easier to listen to in one sitting, and I think makes the tracks more memorable.

>Listening to hip hop in the first place
This was your real mistake

I can't believe it's not bait!

>inb4 some reply about how it's not bait that idiots will fall for

This so fucking much. I enjoy Hip-Hop but fuck the bloated albums. One thing I love about older albums in other genres was their lengths, the theme for the album is more focused, each song overall tends to be fleshed out and as a whole the album seems more clear and precise with what it wants to convey to the listener. This is where you get "good songs, but bad album" in a lot of modern music. Bigger tracklist means more, which implies better to the average person, but you end up with so many throwaway songs being included with the album that it just makes it distracting or a chore to listen. Especially if those extra songs are out of place. Only time I liked it was when the Madvillian album had ton of short songs. ITCOTCK is an example of a short album done right, Clarence Clarity's No Now is an example of a long album done right