twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I love it

Meme

The aesthetic had a bigger impact than the music but I like the music

I still don't know what it is.

you are right
Great Album
actually, anyone knows what vaporwave is

good vaporwave is fun to listen to (track 3 on macintosh plus for example). the problem is too many producers think its as simple as slowing down a tina turner song by 30 bpm.

Nmesh is cool

mostly trash, with a few expections., which are usually pretty fuckin good.
Telepaths virtual dream plaza series is one to experience.
this

I ordered this piece of shit on vinyl to resell it and it never came. Did I get rused?

There are a few albums in the genre that I like. Though lots of it seems amateurish, which I get can be the charm, but it just isn't good. But when an artist manages to create a certain atmosphere throughout their album that is interesting and genuinely makes me feel nostalgic, it's a great time.

It's a genre that sadly scraped the surface of something truly special and interesting. It felt like there were moments on certain albums in this genre that felt genuinely compelling and evoked feelings I've never experienced from music before. But the majority of it was just so uninteresting. It got too bogged down with circle jerking the aesthetic and making something that fit neatly into the genre that nobody wanted to innovate and really push the boundaries. So we're just left with a few good atmospheric, ambient pieces, some nice kitschy dance pop, and a whole lot of generic trash.

What a game. Oh well, it's dead now.

why don't you fucking make some then

you can make vaporwave in a daw just learn how to do it

This mindset is the exact problem with vaporwave. Just because anyone can do it doesnt mean anyone should. I think it's relative ease of creation led to the excess and oversaturation of the same, tired aesthetic.

Vaporwave artists in 2018: Bunch of high kids on the internet chopping and screwing old music

Vaporwave artists in 2028: Legends, geniuses, Responsible for the sound of modern music,

That's what I think is happening here

Don't be mistaken, the popularity of Macintosh Plus (mostly just 420) was partly responsible for the re-rise of the 80s aesthetic in mainstream pop music.

I found it amusing to see Blank Banshee go from a meme to (almost) seeing him on tour this past fall in LA. Same with saint Pepsi, I think it's already happening user.

They're both past the arc of their peaks. Don't act like they're touring to packed venues, I saw BB in Philly in a small bar with maybe like 40 people. Saint Pepsi I imagine draws a similar size.

Yeah, the Saint Pepsi project ended, sadly. He is Skylar Spence now which I'm just not feeling as much. I still expect big things from Banshee however, but he never really made vaporwave in the first place.

If the album art aesthetic never came about nobody would think 99% of this music was anything special

I'm still waiting on my fucking record

really? I saw bb in brooklyn at the Bazaar in November, it was just about sold out like 400 people there maybe. It was a really great show

>400 people
bull fucking shit

normies think yung lean and mac demarco are vaporwave

I love Blank Banshee but he literally sounds nothing like macintosh plus and I have no idea how he ever got associated with vaporwave.

but, macintosh not it is the exatly sounds of vaporwave, blank banshee is a kind of vaporwave called vaportrap

Saw him in Poland in warsaw with my brother. It was a crazy show to be honest. They had to move him to a bigger capacity venue amd there were more than 500 people there. I have pictures and videos if you think I'm full of shit.

he co-opted the vaporwave aesthetic and made trap music with it

Not really his later stuff but his first album has lots of windows 95 sounds and some of the deep cuts like visualization are basically vaporwave.

I've been a Sup Forumstard since 2010 and I remember when everyone starting posting this shit in 2012. Good times.

lookingthroughsheets.bandcamp.com/album/toshiba-hologramm-heartt

Is it just me or have you seen a lot more shitty classic rock albums being discussed here compared to 2010?

Those fuckers used to get laughed off the board but now they're warranting big threads of people talking about how great The Wall is and shit.

I wasn't into it when it was really I thing but for some reason it grew on me and now I listen to it regularly

yw
He right
he right

vaporwave is really good. there aren't a lot of artists still pursuing the pure original ethos of the genre, but they're pushing the aesthetic in new directions and melding it with other genres in a way that i think helps keep the sound of the scene interesting, if not somewhat fragmented.
youtube.com/watch?v=URy6t1gmUvs
this was the best vaporwave release of last year imo.
if you like it check out the group's earlier album "i'll try living like this," landmark release in the genre.

It's fine.

This is one of the best albums ever made.
But I don't consider it Vaporwave.

eh, i think that bb0 has enough of the standard vaporwave trappings in it (no pun intended) to be considered a release in the genre. the sampling is there: computer startups, zelda, pacific state, boards of canada, beach boys, bjork, shenmue... at times though it's much more trap than anything else so i understand the debate surrounding the album's genre.
personally i consider bb1 to be more vaporwave-oriented than bb0, and mega to be the farthest blank banshee has gotten from vaporwave.

What is vaporwave music? Plz describe it to me the best you can.
thnx

go and listen to some if you want the best explanation

still waiting on an authentic blacksun a e s t h e t i c release, but yeah, cool shit

should I just search "VaporWave" on youtube?

what if i wanted to make vaporwave music? what would be the requirements and characteristics of it?

dumbass, gay "music" for teenagers "nostalgic" for an age they weren't a part of.

dumbass, gay "music" for teenagers "nostalgic" for an age they weren't a part of.

macintosh plus - floral shoppe
blank banshee - blank banshee 0
vaperror - mana pool
disconscious - hologram plaza
2814 - birth of a new day

these should give you a taste of the variety in vaporwave

bruh, sorry to break it to you but you ain't getting it
got mine though

slowed down pop songs from the 80's or 90's. it's kinda dead now but it's pretty cool.

>2814 - birth of a new day
Literally just an ambient album though.

for some reason your comment makes me think you look like this dude

Cool Album

I was repeating what the guy next to me was saying. Vaporwave is pretty cool though.

it was produced as a collaboration between two prolific vaporwave artists, it's an evolution of vaporwave that planted it firmly in ambient territory

so you're not wrong but it's still worth listening to in the context of vaporwave for that reason

Fair enough. Great album.

i just found out about this shit and I think it's great personally. seems like vaporwave triggers a lot of people though.

The reason why I am suddenly interested in vaporwave is because I found this album in the bandcamp thread: 1in10.bandcamp.com/album/mea-culpa

It is a remix or edit of one of my favorite albums and it says it's Vaporwave music at the bottom of the bandcamp page.

I think the album sounds pretty awesome, thats why i want to hear more vaporwave.

yeah I think you'll enjoy birth of a new day
check out rain temple as well, also by 2814

so is that album that i found in the bandcamp thread a good example of vaporwave?

I wouldn't say so, chuck person's eccojams was the album that pretty much invented the genre and floral shoppe codified it and brought it to popularity so if you really want to taste raw vaporwave that's where you should go

the album you posted is a bit more towards the ambient side of things from what I heard but vaporwave does have a lot of wiggle room for what constitutes it, so who can say

I am listening to: macintosh plus - floral shoppe, right now. It sounds like trippy slowed down glitched music.

I like it.

is vaporwave generally remixs and mashups of different older songs? or is there original content also?

vaporwave started out as a sample-based genre concerned with taking 80s/90s music/cultural references and recontextualizing it in a distorted way. usually this manifests in slowing things down, chopping + screwing, added effects, etc. to create an entirely new song.
the main end goal of vaporwave is to tap into a nostalgia for the atmosphere that was present at the time of the 80s/90s, that sort of consumerist society that was rapidly growing. different artists accomplish this in different ways, but vaporwave can generally be distinguished as having that sort of nostalgic element and utilizing samples from the era to reach this goal.
quite a few artists in the scene are beginning to move away from using samples and are more concerned with composing their own tracks to reach the same end goal as traditional vaporwave, but there's a lot of debate over whether these songs are considered in the same genre. at the least they're vaporwave-inspired though (2814's work is an example)
has some good recs, i'd also recommend
chuck person - eccojams vol. 1
james ferraro - far side virtual
(these two releases are regarded as starting the genre)
saint pepsi - hit vibes
t e l e p a t h テレパシー能力者 – 現実を超えて
eco virtual - atmospheres 1
death's dynamic shroud.wmv - i'll try living like this (first few listens are very challenging)
hope this gives you a better idea as to what the genre is.

>saying vaporwave is dead

vaporwave is more of a cultural phenomenon than a musical genre, the ecco jams / macintosh plus style is 'dead' because they did it right the first time.
what tied those 2 albums together was this weird intersection of nostalgia and technology and to me that lives on in a bunch of artists like opn, BB, vek, and 2814

Vektroid is macintosh plus. But yeah I agree

it can be both. there is a lot of remixes of older songs. however, it's not uncommon for artists to compose original stuff (new drums, basslines, synths) that go alongside samples. blank banshee is a prime example of this; he composes his own trap beats that go on top of samples. generally as long as the track has samples it can be considered vaporwave; if there are no samples at all though the line gets very blurry.

Basically music inspired by a combination of nostalgia and the current state of the internet. A combination between stylings of Daniel Lopatin, James Ferraro, and often heavy doses of inspiration from Japanese culture in the 1980s in varying amounts in order to create songs of varying sound. Most of the artists in the genre have branched out from vaporwave alone into different electronic genres, some taking the quiet path and making ambient and downtempo, and those on the opposing side dabbling in an assortment of aggressive electronic genres, including gabber and jungle. While they're doing this, however, the genre continues to thrive, and the aesthetic is carried out all albums related. One thing to note is how well the aesthetic translated to the mainstream over the music, as it's especially visible in recent fashion.

To sum up the best in and related to the genre, I'd say to listen to:
Oneohtrix Point Never - Replica
James Ferraro - Far Side Virtual
Chuck Person - Eccojams Vol. 1
Macintosh Plus - Floral Shoppe
Saint Pepsi - Hit Vibes
Kodak Cameo - Riviera
S U R F I N G - Deep Fantasy
Blank Banshee - 1
マクロスMACROSS 82-99 - A Million Miles Away
Luxury Elite/Saint Pepsi - Late Night Delight
2814 - Birth of a New Day
death's dynamic shroud.wmv - I'll Try Living Like This
Giant Claw - Dark Web
nmesh - Pharma
wosX - Brasil World Cup 2034
Father - 흰색 죽음
Hong Kong Express - This
Neon Indian - VEGA INTL. Night School
Christtt - No Lives Matter
Machine Girl - Because I'm Young, Arrogant, and Hate Everything You Stand For
George Clanton - 100% Electronica
Fire Toolz - Interbeing

This is more than enough to start with, though I'm sure someone could argue with a few of these being removed or replaced. Have fun!

Atmospheres 1 is brilliant.

you basically said everything i was trying to say but in a better way. great recs too. i'm not entirely sure if 100% electronica can be considered vaporwave but george clanton has done some traditional vaporwave in the past under the ESPRIT alias so there is a link there enough to argue for its inclusion on a rec list imo.

cool, thanks.
I am going to look up some of these on youtube.

awesome, hope you enjoy. come back here if you've listened to any and the thread hasn't archived lmao

my all time favorite
youtube.com/watch?v=YdGmrpeeC-U

Has anyone else listened to this? Feels kinda like "post-vaporwave"... like how post-rock is to rock? If that makes sense? I really recommend it. I hadn't heard anything like this out of China before.

I am still listening to:
youtube.com/watch?v=YcsYSJwewWk

thus far I am 30 minutes into the album and I like the second half of the album better.

Thanks man. I appreciate it. At first I was thinking of including virtua.zip, but I felt it wasn't varied enough to be justified. 100% Electronica definitely has a sort of influence from the genre, as he worked particularly in it for such a long period of time, and so it naturally bled into that album. On top of that, I felt the closest album in terms of sound that it related to was VEGA, which is also chillwave inspired by vapor, though 100% is less polished sounding, and VEGA is more influenced by 80s synth funk and future funk rather than straightforward vaporwave and John Maus. On top of that, to me at least, it feels like George's most accomplished work. There might be something better to put there, though.

floral shoppe is a good starting point, glad to hear you're liking it so far
100% electronica is definitely george's best work in my opinion. if there's something better to put there i can't think of it. what did you think of 200% electronica, if you listened to that? it's a remix album combining virtua.zip and the original 100% with some new stuff

I thought it was pretty interesting! The new stuff was really what I was there for, especially since I've never been too fond of remixes on albums.

cant find link
toss?

I prefer the 80s aesthetic j-idols like MOMOKO
youtube.com/watch?v=G29lsKGPOMc

I am about 15 min into this album and I like it better than floral
youtube.com/watch?v=-WejD5fPTBE

Most is shit, but there are a few gems

Pretty good, but right now I'm on that neo-cowboy shit
youtube.com/watch?v=mkdjbk_G6pw

Why hear vapormeme when the superior retrowave exist.

nu.wav hallucinations is top-tier, better than Dream Sequins imo (which is still good). Don't know how to feel about his newest, kind of fringe-y

Channel 505 – 日本の天気と気候

evil nazi music

pretty lame son

Post-vaporwave is pretty cool
youtube.com/watch?v=hMjyjwYIQ0g

>make genre as low effort and superfluous as possible
>this chucklehead manages to make something even more derivative
youtube.com/watch?v=LL998ajnjN4

do the charts on Sup Forums wiki still up to date? I might listen to some of this stuff, it gives some kind of feelings weird to explain.
I usually get this charts together and hope to upload them someday. I have made some of them already, metal mostly.

Vaporwave died 5 years ago.
If you like playing with sounds check out what the artist's from the vibe of back then pour out now:
dreamcatalogue.bandcamp.com/album/mahakala

So is vaporwave responsible for the current trend of 80's nostalgia in music or is it a result of that trend?

I think it would look better like this.

honestly i could see this being considered Sup Forumscore in the future
it's been awhile since an album was so universally memed on here

I think you're right and honestly, i could see this being considered Sup Forumscore in the future
it's been awhile since an album was so universally memed on here

My vaporwave album never made it to being one of the greats, but it was such a fun time on Sup Forums with everyone collaborating and making music together. 2012-2013 was a good time.

hotelparallax.bandcamp.com/album/-

First album of the genre will always stay the best imo

>hotelparallax.bandcamp.com/album/-
where is chapter 3?

Currently still working on it, have about 5 or 6 tracks out of 14 done. It's not really vaporwave but more ambient/synth/bleepbloop with orchestral elements.

how do you feel vaporwave has changed since you were making it in 2012-2013? do you feel it has changed for the better?

anything else good from this year?

this is going to be vaporwave AOTY