General thoughts here on ELO? Don't see them posted about a lot around here. Personally, not that it matters...

General thoughts here on ELO? Don't see them posted about a lot around here. Personally, not that it matters, I think they're easily one of the most underrated bands of all time.
youtu.be/djyViSY332M

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ze3p-WeLCGk
youtube.com/watch?v=RO_LX-m74uw
youtube.com/watch?v=QVamFiNw-rs
youtube.com/watch?v=djyViSY332M
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

klaatu is superior

Agreed. Last thread was maybe a month ago. Older people recognize their importance but youngfags in their 20s only know Mr. Blue Sky. I'm glad I was introduced to them at a young age and have come to love them. Definitely underrated even though they are recognized as one of the best, people would rather jerk themselves off to the beatles beach boys stones and zepp. I seriously believe unironically Jeff Lynne is certainly the greatest musical mind of the 20th century and would even compare him to the great classical composers.

Their hidden gems are often better than their hit singles. As far as their albums go, Time, Discovery, A New World Record, and Out of the Blue are all tied in 1st in my book. There may be one song on each album that just isn't my style, but that doesn't deny it's genius. Though if I had to name a favorite album of all time I would have to say Out of the Blue as my favorite songs are on it, and Jeff wrote it all in a few weeks. god-tier.

They had some of the most patrish optimistic songs I've ever heard.

Yep. Sweet is the Night would prob be my overall favorite. So uplifting and harmonious

Can unironically say that my mom and step-dad got me into them and it blows my mind how underrated they are unless talking to an older generation. Jeff Lynne continues to inspire any serious musician

Honestly I’d still put Brian Wilson above Lynne but he still wrote a lot of incredible stuff. ELO are one of those bands which are often believed to be overrated sand have a weird stigma attached to them to the extent that they are really underrated.

Mr. Blue Sky was one of my earliest favorite songs.

very much one of the signature albums of 1979 there with a great mix of sounds with several stand out singles (and some that should have been) coming from a band that has now reached it's absolute peak.

I am not trying to insult ELO, but they were trying to be a Beatles copy cat for a long time. Then they went full Disco.

However, ELO is definitely underrated

I have lurked this place for a long time. And I have always wondered why everyone rides Brian Wilson's dick, why is he so beloved? It was just popish surf music, why is it so appreciated?

I love ELO so bad. My dad was really into them when he was in high school.

youtube.com/watch?v=ze3p-WeLCGk

I respect that opinion. I still love all the bands I listed, it's just that ELO is often thrown out the window when compared to them. But yeah honestly I do like Beach boys over the beatles.

Whether they tried to copy them or were heavily influenced by them is debatable. I like to think that if the Beatles had stayed together they would have eventually made similar music. If Jeff joined while they were still together they would have escalated to a whole new plane. I am somewhat content with him producing and contributing to Cloud 9 by George Harrison though, great album.

Like Jeff Lynne encompassing all of ELO's writing, producing, and overall success, Brian Wilson was the sole genius and driving force behind The Beach Boys' evolution in sound from their classic girls, cars, and surfing rock 'n' roll formula to pysch-pop masterpieces.

Psych pop masterpieces? You mean... Pet Sounds? Or Smile? Anyway, I consider both of them at the level of Revolver or Sgt Pepper. Still, this sub bashes The Beatles but rides Brian Wilson's dick

I mean Sunflower
youtube.com/watch?v=RO_LX-m74uw

Here's the problem. Your example is good, sounds like almost a generic 60s song but it is good. I may give the Beach Boys a chance, where should I start if I hate their SurfSurfSurf stuff?

>sub
get out you filth

Time is easily their best album

Holland is pretty good, I don't think there's a single doo-wop on it. All subjective though. Unrelated one of my favorites:
youtube.com/watch?v=QVamFiNw-rs

Absolutely love ELO. Time is one of my favorite albums.

>sub
Anyway, I don't think this place bashes the Beatles that much, they're pretty well appreciated from what I've seen. It's just that since Brian Wilson is kind of a sympathetic character and Mike Love is like a villain, the "story" of the Beach Boys makes them a lot more appealing here, I think.

they're pretty fucking good, not a band i go out of my way to listen to very often but they're really fun to listen to. i listened to yours truly, 2095 all the time when i was a kid

Just started listening to them this year and holy fuck was I missing out. I really am surprised how underrated they are.

youtube.com/watch?v=djyViSY332M
One of the greatest songs of all time. ELO is underrated as fuck.

agreed but holy shit discovery is bad

There's an ELO thread at least once a day on Sup Forums

Lurk moar.

The first album is their best IMHO.

Recently, A New World Record has been my favorite, with tracks like Tightrope, Telephone Line, Shangri- La and Surrender
Anything more like ELO?