Anyone get the feeling that in the future we will look back on the last 20 years of pop music as uninspired, genre-less...

Anyone get the feeling that in the future we will look back on the last 20 years of pop music as uninspired, genre-less, plastic? If you look to the past, you can see certain subcultures of popular music such as disco, hip-hop, rock, jazz, punk, etc all with their own cultures and well-defined symbolism. Where is the culture of today? I feel like there is no cohesiveness in modern pop music, ignoring hip-hop.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pMRLk9GD8kM&feature=youtu.be
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

pop music right now is faux-sad moody drab songs about nothing in particular. that is what this decade will be remembered for.

funk is coming back hard for some years now

youtube.com/watch?v=pMRLk9GD8kM&feature=youtu.be

2 things. American civilization is dying. Also, the first 20 years of every century are lumped together because no one knows how to refer to that period of time. People wont call it ots cause it sounds fucking gay so we just ignore everything up till the 20s

I'm not from america. This is not just an american problem. All over the western world is shit. How can you possibly go to a club and listen to Lorde, then the weekend, then fucking Lil Uzi Vert and enjoy it?

this decade has been all about boredom fueling reckless hedonism and it's reflected pretty well in popular music desu

>I sucked all of those dicks, why did I do that please love me
>or so I say but really I'm a rich cunt acting as a foil for your life and terrible decisions

I don't know about where you are from, but I have been to clubs in New Zealand and Australia, and it is not cohesive at all and it just doesn't work. There is this really shitty club in brisbane with like 2000 people crammed in to one building with 5 bars and 5 different djs playing at once. 4 out of 5 were generic pop, and one of them was like hardstyle/electronica and it wasn't even bad, like it worked far better than any of the others, but there were literally 2 people in that whole part of the building. The DJ just gave up and left.

FUCKING NORMIES

People joke about people that say 'born in the wrong generation' but if you are born from like 1995 onwards, I think you genuinely are born in the wrong generation for music. If you think about it, every other generation has at least had some kind of music culture to be a part of. I was born in 98, and in my city, there are not enough people that enjoy any one genre for there to be any themed clubs for it. I don't know whether there are in bigger cities, but being in a smaller city means that you don't even get concerts, so there is nothing I can really do.

move to a bigger city or start a club of your own

I can't. I am in the second biggest city in my country. I am a student full time too. I wish I could start my own club though.

what country?

New Zealand obvs

there is a culture, and it's overproduced, vapid, soulless, perfect, computer-made bangerz

In other words,Nihilism has destroyed music

not nihilism per se, but the misappropriation of basic tenets of the philosophy to justify living effortlessly and purposelessly certainly played a part

So you have a post modernism problem?

"post modernism" is needlessly confusing, bullshit term desu and not really relevant here in the way that peterson uses it

Proof that Sup Forums never leaves the house

There have been shit tonnes of cool movements or new scenes, and you've just missed the boat

Go clubbin' or start a band faggot

>9k views

wtf

The fucking guy said hedonism specifically.

The club area where I live has some good options generally there are more pop clubs, Latin pop clubs, jazz clubs, hip hop clubs, country music clubs, gay clubs, and there's edm clubs, but there's one lonely industrial/metal club.

Did your commie scum gender studies professor tell you that? I'll have you know that Jordan peterstein is the most cited psychologist in the history of the world, you must be an evil SJW to say he is wrong.

no I learnt it from your mum

Most of Sup Forums don't live in major Cities where there's a dynamic music scene

stop posting that fucking hack weirdo you neckbeard

>this whole fucking thread

born in le right generation xD

I only listen to REAL music. Kanye West, FKA Twigs, Kendrick Lamar, Beyonce, Earl Sweatshirt, Flying Lotus, The Weeknd, DOOM, Drake, Beyonce, Deangelo, the list goes on
*white person sees a cracker* white person "same" tb h. literally same. literally me every day of my life bae. um, good job white people.
I follow pop culture.
I watch the grammys. I watch the VMAs. I love live tweeting about both
I listen to both mainstream music AND indie! I'm a new breed of cultured
I love tweeting about the NBA. Did you all see the NBA All Star game? Check out this meme of a NBA star! he be like
Beyonce be like
Jay-Z be like
Nicki Minaj be like
KENDRICKS NEW SINGLE JUST DROPPED FUCK.
Yeezy season approaching
Check out this meme I made, it references Drake and a new movie that just came out
Bae. Keep calm and smoke a blunt. Emojis. I embrace memes and trends. But post-ironically.
Ironic 90s nostalgia t-shirts bae
um white people fucked up again. like, good job everyone. great job society. baka desu
WOW. I want my girlfriend to hear Deangelos voice while we have sex.
People of Colour >>>> White People. boohoo white people, youre life is sooo tough. redirect to Sup Forums
pitchfork.com, stereogum, tumblr, instagram, jezebel, nba.com, grantland, I'm in the know
I ALSO LISTEN TO SWANS THO. IM CULTURED THO.
I EMBRACE THIS GENERATION!!!
#readyforhillary #orblackcanidate #stopwhitepeople #tbhcrew

hey man, twiggie and d'angelo are cool

Everyone knows hedonism is another word for post modernism.

are you high?

Sounds like someone's having trouble cleaning up their bedroom.

stop blaming the rest of the world for your ass backwards upbringing then lol

>uninspired
Doesn't mean anything and there won't be some universal opinion on music anyway. Contemporary radio pop music is formulaic right now because the consumer-base is smaller and more specific. There's plenty of progressive pop music being made.

Are newfag Sup Forumstants getting retarded enough to not be able to detect irony?