Holy. Shit

Holy. Shit.

Soft jazz drone fest

nice numerals, decent album

i think you meant hory shet!

Holy shit, a completely average in every way piano trio album

If you live by any medium or large city there will be a bar somewhere nearby where you can go and hear better jazz than this at least once a week.

haha

>he didnt post the album with the seagull
wasted digits

that album is album is one of the most meh albums ever released

I really don't enjoy jazz and have close-to-zero knowledge of music theory, and I love this album, so it's probably shit.

>that album is album
stopped reading there

more like dogshit

I find it fascinating how the average layman is pretty good at figuring out how fast playing guitar virtuoso of the 80s are wanking on their instruments yet they have trouble doing that if it's much slower and done on different instruments, in this case the piano. Listening to the original compositions vs the jazz standards really shows how little ideas the guy tried to bring to the game.

Literally the Nickelback of jazz.

>that album is album
i mean ... you're not wrong

>when you let youtube recommendations dictate your taste in music to you
Are the OPs of these threads baiting or do this many people actually get memed by the youtube recommendations algorithm?

I knoe, right? Fucking plebs. Not like me, I am patrician enough to let children on RYM, p4k, spotify and other idiots on Sup Forums tell me what to listen to. I am so much more sophisticated.

Yeah if Sup Forums has taught me anything it's that I hate music fans.

worst album of all time. anybody who likes it, deserves aids.

Watch out with that edge and snobism son.

if you knew anything about jazz you'd know how mediocre this album is

There's nothin even edgy or snobby about that post

nice quads but this album is reddit tier

idk what it is about this board but typically if you talk shit on any music it's fine, but if you do it to a jazz album it makes you snobby

very weird

yeah, i've been called a theoryfag for using the term "head" before

The OP of the Scenery threads is always baiting. He's also the same person that shits up /jazz/ threads every time with the same few lines (either something shit talking JTG, something shit talking music theory, or mentioning how pretentious blindfold is because it's a competition for showing off your knowledge). It's not OPs, but actually one guy who has a very similar posting style. And people bite it every time.

What a nice thing to stumble upon :)

"Scenery" is the debut album, and one of the few recordings made by Japanese pianist Ryo Fukui. It's a simple piano trio setup with Fukui accompanied by bassist Satoshi Denpo and drummer Yoshinori Fukui.

It's obvious from the first track, "It Could Happen to You," that Fukui draws a lot of influence from Bill Evans. His style of left hand comping and bouncy swing feel seem directly influenced by Evans, however Fukui often lacks the chromatic, lyrical melodic drive and adroit phrasing that makes Evans' playing such a joy to listen to. Instead, Fukui tends toward short, diatonic phrases, that seldom move outside the natural phrasing of the tune. Denpo and Yoshinori Fukui swing along fairly well, though they also do little to encourage any interesting obfuscation of the form, giving the tune the feeling of a jam session. "I Want to Talk About You" is fairly similar but with a more relaxed, ballad approach.

The real high point of the album is Fukui's original "Early Summer" which finally deviates from the simple jam session approach and relaxed mood of the rest of the tracks. A funky modal vamp defines the melody and the beginning of Fukui's solo, though it gets quite a bit more interesting when the trio shifts into a double-time swing. Here Fukui finally shows some melodic creativity with long, chromatic phrases and some effective crossrhythms. He also takes advantage of the harmonic simplicity of the tune and seems to be channeling McCoy Tyner more than Evans, with some nice quartal playing that gets fairly harmonically adventurous at times.

The 'B' Side finds Fukui taking a bluesier approach, first on "Willow Weep for Me," then on another jam-session-y version of "Autumn Leaves." Fukui blueses up the tunes, but still often lacks any sense of nuance in phrasing or overall shape of his solos. There is one thing that Fukui does very well, which is the repeating hemiola, though he uses this technique so often that it becomes predictable and tiresome. Once again, the rhythm section does little to add any drama or interesting development to the tunes. Yoshinori in particular is at fault here, often ending each four or eight bar phrase with obvious and/or very basic fills. "Scenery" closes the album with another original composition. It's a simple progression that fits Fukui's style well, though the trio seems to struggle somewhat with the slow tempo and the rhythm section puts very little variation or imagination into their accompaniment of Fukui's solo.

Overall the album is very average, with Fukui demonstrating competency in jazz piano, but little in the way of personality or a developed style of his own. In many ways, Fukui sounds like a student, content to imitate Bill Evans or Red Garland, but without adding any new color to give the music character or fully understanding the more subtle aspects of these players' styles . The exception is "Early Summer" where Fukui proves he is at least capable of playing interesting music. It's a shame that the bulk of the album is dedicated to the less interesting and much more derivative approach.

jazzthreadguy must be having a field day with all his sheep

This is nu-Sup Forums where you're literally only allowed to talk about music by talking about your fee fees. Even mentioning a word like "chord" or "scale" disqualifies you as a snobby elitist wank fan.

based 2015 meme poster

Well he made this album after learning the piano in a mere 4 years
Gotta give him that

It's probably because whoever you're speaking to has no way to actually refute what you're saying, so it's easier to just try to tear you down by calling you a robot and claiming you don't actually "like" music

thanks for this well articulated opinion, now I can express my feelings on this record

>Gotta give him that
Not really. He sounds like a student who's just mastered the absolute basics of jazz piano. Why would anybody listen to that when there are literally thousands of great piano trio albums by pianists who have spent decades mastering what they do?

yes, now you, too, can become another person unable to articulate your own thoughts

Is this seriously what you people are butthurt about? This is actually a fair and decent review.