Is cassette actually making a comeback?

I was watching some videos of people's vinyl collections, and I saw some videos on the sidebar talking about the resurgence of cassette. There's even new releases getting cassette releases.

Is this for real? Am I being taken for a ride? Are ironic hipsters taking the piss and I'm falling for an elaborate prank? Today is literally the first I've heard anyone ever talk about them in the past two decades, but apparently cassette is a thing again. What the fuck?

Cassettes have never stopped being produced. They had a resurgence back in 2008ish and now the mainstream is doing it too.

Unfortunately yes,although there is no legitimate reason to buy one seeing as they are both less practical and inferior compared to other audio formats.Its just a novelty hipster thing that started because of Guardians of the Galaxy.

Yes.
>liking something is not a legitimate reason to buy it
OK

They were always around in the punk, noise, and metal scenes just because demo "tapes" were so ubiquitous in those cultures and tapes are easy and cheap to produce. They've been creeping back into the mainstream over the past few years though.

this. At least with vinyl you get larger artwork

why would they do that in the current year when releasing on bandcamp is even cheaper?

>liking something is not a legitimate reason to buy it
OK
You can't hold a flac

seems a fair reason to do it but I don't know if I'd hop on the wagon.

vinyls make sense in terms of having a physical collection independent of harddrives bricking and streaming services shutting down, but I'm not sure cassettes make a lot of practical sense. Easier to store, I suppose. What do you think?

Fetishism for physical products. Vinyl never died out in those scenes either. Obviously I'm not saying every person in punk/noise/metal is like this but those scenes certainly have a large number of people who gravitate towards the "old way" of doing things and won't entertain the notion of keeping a digital-only library.

I'm personally not a fan and got rid of all my tapes after I quit driving a shitbox car with a tape deck. I think the newer mainstream appeal mostly comes from the novelty of people who were too young to buy tapes when they were a popular format, but who knows? Could explode like the vinyl industry did I guess.

>Its just a novelty hipster thing that started because of Guardians of the Galaxy.

Just like the Soy Wars?

Kind of like newer artists who won't entertain the notion of having physical copies of anything?

These are all inmates are allowed to have to listen to music to here in NY. I assume that's probably the case in many other states too.
As for non-incarcerated folks, I don't see what the appeal would be.

I think cassettes should make a come back if you like vinyl. Just record your vinyl onto cassette and you can listen to the same analog sound, only you can do it on the move.

They sell cassettes at urban outfitters.

>being this stupid

Both are shit, what's your point?

Yeah, but I don't know how much of an ingrained subcultural response exists in that (unless Gucci Mane never releasing physical copies until recently was part of a larger movement of environmentally-conscious artists.)

I liked Guardians. The problem is literal memers who see something on the movies and want to imitate that. I swear you convince those idiots to touch dog poo with their hands if someone cool on a film did that as part of his character

>having no real argument
Fuck yourself

Nice!

Too bad cassettes have been selling out in local shows since before that movie exists you dipshit
It would be pointless to explain, since you don't seem to understand how audio signal reproduction works

this

You know recording vinyl onto cassettes was something people used to do right, not just buy prerecorded music?

As merch sold by an artist?

you're forced to buy hand printed limited runs for obscure coldwave, darkwave, noise rock, punk

these guys survived on cassettes and unviewed granular music videos and then they just fall off the face of the earth

also theres a lot of misconceptions since noone used good cassette decks or metal cassettes, they used shitty walkmen with type 1s and it all sounded like garbage

yeeeeee user they're back. just got these yesterday.

Damn I didn't know BB released cassettes

They have the same appeal as a Nintendo cartridge vs. a game on a disc. something about a cartridge feels more complete, even knowing it's probably the inferior medium. It just feels better holding a cassette

i've grabbed a few cheap tapes at shows before just to support the act but I don't even own a tape player. they're cool to look at

fucks sake

I just bought an .mp3 and I don't own a computer

I can accept this answer, cassettes are a 'thing' as opposed to a thin disk. But with that argument then vinyls are just as good then

The more physical forms of media the better imo. Tapes force you to listen to an album in a way you never would streaming and that's a good thing, same goes for vinyl and cd

lol i was a pro at skipping tracks i didn't like on my walkman when i was a kid

>vinyls

I know Sony is the place to go for cassette players but what about the newer ones with the MP3 converters built in, like Tonor and Digitnow, they're cheap but are they any good?