Can we all agree pre-50's and post-80's jazz is the ultimate rockist pleb filter?

Can we all agree pre-50's and post-80's jazz is the ultimate rockist pleb filter?

Other urls found in this thread:

discogs.com/Louis-Armstrong-Hot-Fives-And-Sevens/release/2586278
discogs.com/Duke-Ellington-The-Blanton-Webster-Band/release/2788245
discogs.com/Charlie-Parker-The-Complete-Savoy-Dial-Master-Takes/release/6251848
discogs.com/Stan-Kenton-Plays-Bob-Graettinger-City-Of-Glass/release/2362756
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Bad album art is probably the ultimate pleb filter

>inb4 REAL JAZZ FANS pasta

Dude looks like he should be working in a hardware store.

"Rockist" has nothing to do with what kind of music you listen to. It has to do with how you listen to music and how you talk about it.

But yes jazz before the 50s is actually a decent rockist filter.

He looks like a substitute history teacher

>how you listen to music
can you detail what you mean by this? what is a rockist approach to listening?

honestly this cover art wouldn't even be that bad if they removed the text to his side

>what is a rockist approach to listening?
a bunch of superfical pseudo-intellectual nonsense basically. that's why they're attracted to spiritual jazz and free jazz

Basically "muh full albums" and thinking that music needs to be performed by the people who wrote it.

This is why pre-50s jazz is so difficult because there weren't albums back then and so much jazz is standards that other artists interpreted their own way.

Pic related.

I think what you all are calling "rockists" are really just the people on this board (the majority) who care about image more than music and use music as a fashion accessory.

So if these people listen to jazz it's going to be jazz from the 50s through the 70s since that's the typical "image" of jazz that people like that tend to romanticize. Especially the spiritual jazz and free jazz from that time.

these definitely make sense to me and are familiar concepts but I'm lost with

How do i pre-50's jazz then?

Smithsonian collection of Classic Jazz.

This

Plus the Chronological Classics series

discogs.com/Louis-Armstrong-Hot-Fives-And-Sevens/release/2586278
discogs.com/Duke-Ellington-The-Blanton-Webster-Band/release/2788245
discogs.com/Charlie-Parker-The-Complete-Savoy-Dial-Master-Takes/release/6251848
This one's got recordings from 1950-1953, but it also has stuff from 1947 till 1949: discogs.com/Stan-Kenton-Plays-Bob-Graettinger-City-Of-Glass/release/2362756

If you're such a jazz enthusiast then why is this the only modern album you can name?

this is right on the money

When it comes to modern jazz I have found that musical quality is often inversely proportional to the quality of the album art. The stuff with the garbage MS paint tier album art is usually great music and the albums with "aesthetic" stylish cover art is usually trash.

The wildcard is the ECM label because they have a very recognizable artistic aesthetic that some people like and some people hate and they put out some great albums and some pretty meh albums.

yea ECM has a certain sound that people have come to expect, only subverted by big names like Keith Jarrett.

But isn't the majority of pre-50's jazz basically just pop music made for teens to dance to? Like I know some people like Ellington and Kenton were going in a more artistic direction but I thought they were the exception.

All the Bebop guys like Dizzy and Bird were mid 40s. Bunch of them. But yeah guys like Louis Armstrong (before he sold out) and Duke were exceptions for sure (among a couple other guys like Bix Beiderbecke who unfortunately died young). Thus why they are considered the two most influential guys.

Yeah but as far as I know Dizzy and Bird didn't really record that much in the 40s. Or maybe they did, I don't really know. By pre-50's I mostly just meant pre-bebop.

I don't think I'm a rocking but I do agree with one thing

Like I like listening to albums because a lot of albums are set up in a way to invoke certain emotions from song to song.

For example Eldorado by ELO the song Illusions In G Major is an upbeat rockabilly song about a therapist that ends with a faded out not into the song Eldorado which is a slow song about a guy killing himself. I think those songs go together way better than apart.

Bird had the Dial & Savoy ones from 45-48. His Verve stuff is 45-54.

You sound like a fucking retard. Please refrain from joining in any form of serious discussion ever again.

>that's why they're attracted to spiritual jazz and free jazz
Don't even give them that much credit. They just read a list of the top albums to listen to, usually A Love Supreme, Bitches Brew and something by Monk and something by Sun Ra, and then they spout those albums/artists off in conversation as if they are among their favorites when in actuality they've maybe listened through them once or twice on youtube. At best they'll own A Love Supreme on vinyl but only play in as background music when they have someone over they want to impress.

How was any of what I said wrong?

My favorite jazz albums are
Wayne Shorter- Speak No Evil
Herbie Hancock- Maiden Voyage
John Coltrane- A Love Supreme

Rec me some post-80s jazz please