Ariel Pink was a teacher

“I used to be a teacher,” Pink said, referring to his time teaching art at a Jewish day school where he’d been a student. (His real surname is Rosenberg.) “My kids didn’t like me. I was passing out pink slips every five seconds, ’cause they kept coming up to me, like, ‘Ariel, are you a girl?’ ”

i bet he did slip those kids some pink

OMG stop it xD

by that I mean he handed out cassettes until they begrudgingly listened

>MR ARIEL THIS ONES BROKEN IT SOUNDS ALL WEIRD AND FUZZY

PASSING THE PETAL TO YOU

ugh he's just my favorite artist by a mile

I haven't even scratched the surface of his truly obscure material either

I bet trying to compile every track of his is like cracking the fucking enigma

I wish I was ariel pink

I am ariel pink

Ever since listening to Ariel pink when I was 16 I haven't enjoyed anyone else's material as much as I previously did, that was five years ago

I'm Ariel pink

I got into ariel pink when I was about 16 and first heard Before Today

Before Today isn't one of my favorites from ap but I still love it, the thing is with ariel is that every time I put on something of his that I'm not familiar with, I find about 2 or 3 tracks that hook me like nothing else I've ever found, and he's one of the only artists who I would actively listen to other versions of previously released songs

Similar story here, in 2012 I got into him listened to before today and mature themes and found him with his singles with Jorge, only in my dreams, baby, and round and round or whatever, and then delved into his older shit, by the time Pom Pom came around I had discovered his entire discography basically

Then in 2015/16/17 I found even more trinkets and bobby Jameson came around and I'm pretty much listened to everything he made that you can find publically and used to drive around in my car in 15/16 with house arrest and various mixed ariel pink cds all the time

Ariel Pink is one of the few great original artists of our time

Pink > Maus

I've never met anyone else irl who has heard the doldrums

If the first person I meet who has heard the doldrums happens to be a female I will not hesitate to kidnap her immediately

I love both

I especially love John Maus when winter comes along, I also prefer Maus when it comes to MDMA

>The Los Angeles-based musician also criticized Twitter’s mob-mentality, rhetorically asking “what if I committed suicide and tweeted, ‘Thank you, guys. You were right’?” He continued, explaining “this is how, uh, Rwanda happened,” comparing social media backlash to a genocide that left hundreds of thousands of Rwandans dead. Despite Pink’s hyperbolic response, he seems to be okay with being hated — he reportedly proclaimed “yes!” upon reading at tweet from MySpace deeming him “indie rock’s most hated man.”

I love this man so much. I listen to him every day out of pure enjoyment and devotion, but sometimes I'll catch a faint, almost indistinct lyric or sound, lost in the shuffle of one of his songs, and I'll fall in love all over again.

Doldrums was a pretty solid one, I think it honestly, along with worn copy, has a lot of filler material though

Same with before today, but his albums that have filler material also contain some of his best tracks he's ever made so that brings them up for me

Sometimes when I listen to him it sounds like he's speaking gibberish, and lyric websites tend to agree

But I wonder if his unknown lyrics actually mean something, guess only he knows. I actually like when artists do this, because I can just guess with my own interpretation and it adds a bit of mystery to the song. In a lot of his old stuff, I can't make out what he's saying.

How can you make that comparison though? John and Ariel have very different sounds even if you want to put both under the hypnagogic pop label

dunno, the Doldrums is my favorite pretty much because I don't believe it has any filler (especially with the bonus tracks) but I imagine that ariel's stuff is pretty subjective across the board

what's your favorite ariel album

Bump

The song "Scared Famous" shifts in and out of a melange of garage rock/grunge with his vocals being distorted, but there are moments where it sounds like he's almost singing clearly but I can't make out the vocals. Or even at the end of the BT Beverly Kills where you can barely make out his vocalizing under all the synths. It's little details like that that make him endearing to me.

They've been compared a lot on the Hypnagogic Pop genre like you mentioned, they worked together a lot in the early days, and have a couple releases on the same label. I shouldn't have made that comparison though, I love both. Just trying to stirr up some drama

>One project he submitted was named "The Last Art Piece", a three-foot tall illustration that realistically depicted the school's faculty, staff members, and students engaging in an orgy. When an administrative member found out about it, she sued the school, unsuccessfully, for sexual harassment.

Haha yeah no worries I like both too, I saw Maus last weekend and I'm thinking about seeing Ariel in april.
I wonder if they're still friends

They are. Maus opened for Ariel at a gig a few months ago

>Yeah, you can tell it to those Nazis… like Grimes. But don’t say that I called her evil, or retarded or stupid… I had no problems with Grimes until she called me a misogynist. Nobody forced her to say that and I didn’t deserve it. She went out on Twitter to say that what I said about Madonna was indicative of the misogyny that women face everyday in this industry. She just got jealous because of my time with Madonna.

Going to see him and DIIV in April.
What are his concerts like? Has he only played his new stuff or does he sprinkle in his older stuff?

How was maus? Im seeing him next weekend
Does he always come out and talk to people after?

I like all of them honestly and filler for Ariel is still good. I'd rate them all as 8/10 or better honestly, maybe lover boy and the older shit that drones on as 6-7/10

I think Pom Pom might be his most consistent album but it doesn't really have any of my all time favorite tracks of his on it, it's just probably his most consistent work, thus his "best" but like I said it doesn't have his very best tracks he ever made like other less consistent albums do

House arrest and scared famous are pretty consistent too, but again a lot of my favorite tracks of his are on my least fav albums

He was awesome, I mean his stage presence is crazy. I'm not sure about whether he sees fans after every show, another user on here said they met him afterwards in a different city so you might be able to.

It's not a competition. Besides, Loverboy is his best pre-4AD album and its a Maus collab.

Oh, you're going to Levitation?

You can't tell me you think that the doldrums isnt at least an 8/10 album unless pic related is you