FL

ableton

GOAT coming through

i wanna get away from fl but i cant. every time i try to get into ableton it pisses me off bc the piano weel is fucking fucking weird and doing beats is weird and fuck

ableton is for elitists who think theyre too good for fl studio even though they're pretty much the same thing

Reaper is best DAW, u shitheads
/Thread

ableton has a couple of cool features and better on board effects. I would agree though. FLs automation shits on Abletons, as well as the piano roll. But Ableton's looping system with scenes is pretty cool and it makes it way easier to make IDM/glitchy stuff. I feel like the sound is slightly better too, more cohesive. The warping is also pretty cool. Pros and cons to each one really. I personally don't like one sound taking up a whole mixing track. FL Studio's way of assigning sounds to the mixing track you want it on makes more sense to me. And the pattern system/arrange makes more sense to me than Ableton's "Create midi clips, record, or go into arrangement view and create one". The paint system in FL studio just seems superior to me.
Lol this is like the kid who brings up gamecubes in the Xbox Vs Playstation debate

The VLC of daws

if you're comfortable with a certain daw then why the fuck would you switch to something you have no idea how to use? just to make yourself look more credible or some shit? I don't give a shit what daw you make your music in. if it's shit music, it's shit music.

that would be openmpt

>shits on other people for using other DAWs
>uses barely 5% of his DAWs functions and is shit at making music

Pros will laugh at you for using FL.

I use Audacity, Reaper, and IOS Garageband

People who have moved from FL to Ableton, how hard was it for you? what are your experiences?

FRUITY

Pros having churning out tracks made on FL since it was a thing, it's way more popular than you think

Who keeps saying this meme? This is the equivalent of Dave Grohl being scared of computers "Where's the real rawk dude? ANALOG BRO". The product of old dinosaurs remember the FL they saw 18 years ago and still basing their opinion off of that. Lex Luger, the most influential producer of the decade, used it, and all the ableton kiddies and everyone else copied his drum programming and hi hats.

That would be Audacity.

The piano roll is shit but you can get used to it. Apparently Ableton's automation is bad but I don't see why, I get it to do what I want it to do it works just fine. I switched because I didn't like FL's patterns and mixer

I make music almost exclusively in MIDI so I need good piano roll. How shit is it?
Also, my music involves some crescendocore stuff, which means i need to be able to copy patterns quickly, does Ableton have something similar to t
he "click the pattern and you can copy it" system in FL?

I worked for pros and all they ask you are the stems to send to their audio engineer

of course, you can ctrl+drag any pattern to copy it
the piano roll is very bare bones, you have the name of keys, different ways to zoom in and out, copypasting, importing and exporting, the usual stuff
the grid can be divided by notes and you can change it to a triplet grid if you want, move by semitone with the up and down arros or by octaves with shift

lol what a retard, the piano roll in ableton is superior in every way, especially since live 10 is out

Well that seems like an okay piano roll

It works just fine, it's just that FL's is fancier and has a few quality of life things such as erasing with the right mouse button

Abletons piano roll is clunky as shit

U can't be serious about automation... I used FL for 2 years before switching to ableton and I was amazed at how fast I could automate parameters. Going thru the whole "create automation track" then finding exact place u r automating then making sure it's only effected in that area ( pulling down the envelope on both sides) was so annoying when automating multiple parameters. I was using FL 11 so idk how much it's changed.

i used FL for 2-3 years then switched to ableton, it was easy to learn they're similar in a lot of ways
i like ableton a lot more though glad i switched

>FLs automation shits on Abletons
lol what, ableton does automation 100x better than FL

It's literally right click create automation clip. Just like abletons right click show automation. The automation editing is WAY better on FL idk what you're talking about. Just click to make points and drag. It's also more customizable, you can do crazy shit like pulse waves and fl had curved automation wayyy before ableton.

i need real advice from someone who actually knows what both i and they are talking about. im trying to pick the best daw to use with my new equipment
i literally play with (akai impc pro iPad app). it has been my main DAW since 2016.
My workflow: i take a sample from an mp3, i use the mpc "chop to pads" feature, laying the samples out over all 64 pads and then i play the samples back with the pads. also use the pads to play synths and drums
I recently got pic related, thinking
>look it's got the things i use in the app, but they're all real XD
it comes with Live 9 Lite and Akai's desktop MPC software, but I want to consider all the options, so, considering what I'm trying to do you guys have any suggestions?

reason and audacity are the only good DAWs

See Idk what kind of retards are using these daws but if you have trouble with fl studios automation you probably had trouble with 3rd grade art class. If your argument is "it's easier" that simply does not cut it. FL is more customizable and MAYBE slightly more difficult (to me way smoother and not as clunky) as abletons. It's the same amount of clicks to make the automation clip appear if you have your playlist open.

Not him but I don't like how you have to create automation clips which show up in the pattern window. A full track will have what, 100, 200 different channels when you start automating things? That's unmanageable to me, the pattern window becomes becomes a mess of clips and instruments

Best DAW ever coming through.

wow nice thumbnail

Ahh I see, you can just go down on the step sequencer and there's a little box so that you only show audio clips in there. Im also probably using like 30 automation clips max so

come on guys can anyone describe this process in their DAW of choice? we're talking about hours of youtube videos you could be saving me if you answer

>if you have trouble with fl studios automation
i don't have trouble with it's just tedious having to right click > create automation clip on everything and then the automation clip is a separate pattern window which gets hard to manage when you're doing a lot of automation
also if you want to automate parameters on 3rd party vsts or plugins it's a huge process
it's all built in in ableton and it's way faster and more fluid

what is this a picture for ants

>also if you want to automate parameters on 3rd party vsts or plugins it's a huge process
Wiggle parameter > Tools > last tweaked > create automation clip
it's far from a huge process, I would even say it's as fast as doing it in Ableton

>he doesn't know about last tweaked
Literally a click
>he couldn't figure out how to just look at audio clips
Two clicks tops
You have to right click show automation on everything soooo what's the difference exactly? Ableton users love creating problems that are so easily surmountable by getting to know the daw a little bit. It's really true, they just want to feel superior.

configure>wiggle
and you can do multiple parameters while according to ur technique u can do 1 at a time

Max and Ableton are the best software for music production out there by a long shot.
I could never get into FL Studio, the learning curve isn't too steep in the end but it's illogical. As in, a 9 year old could understand Ableton without tutorials or reading the manual, with FL he wouldn't.

I used to make music with PxTone in the 2000s, it was tight as fuck. Pixel is a god.

ITT: fruities defending FL

I have no experience with DAWs but I would love to learn. Which one is good to start out with?

they are all 95% the same thing in a different package
the only ones that have something that stands out are pro tools for its live recording capabilities, ableton because of max for live and bitwig because of its modulators
chances are you won't need any of that starting out so just pick whichever you like the most, I guess FL Studio is the most popular among beginners

everyone ITT is retarded
Ejay is the one true GOAT

People *start on FL Studio and always move to something else. Never the other way around. Once an FL user tries a different DAW they see that FL's workflow makes no sense and over complicates things just for the sake of being different.

Reaper is free and have basically the same toolset as any other popular DAWs with price tags. The interface is also highly customizable which has been huge plus to me, after experiencing the wonky and illogical mess that is FL Studio.

I use Renoise but I feel like I should switch to Ableton. it just seems like such a bother.

play the piano. Record it on a zoom h4n. loop it and add effects onto it in abbelton