/ME/ ex-/mena/ ''Bassed Nasser'' edition

''Today the flag of liberty flies over Cairo, Damascus and Baghdad.
Soon hopefully it will fly over the land of Palestine, over Beirut and Ryiadh

-Gamel Abdel Nasser

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Fgw_zfLLvh8
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>new bread
why doe

ayy jonge hoe gaat het met jouw

waar kom je vandaan

Nasser's a bit like an Egyptian Che Guevara, except he was also president for over 15 years. He did a lot of things for poorer people in Egypt, but was also the spearhead and main ideologue of pan-arabist thought, which is quite divisive in contemporary discussion

take everything you read with a grain of salt

Dammit!!!
should've called the thread ''Abdel Nasser is our friend and leader''

i'm leaving, and i really wanted a Nasser-thread

ah OK

have fun yo

Anwar Sadat was the best Egyptian President of all time.

i'm being taken to the cinema to watch a soapy romance movie. there will be no fun.

though if i'm lucky there will be some fun when we get home

>Bassed Nasser
I don't see anything based in being a closeted homosexual (with a preference for young boys) and getting your ass handed to you non-stop by Israel.
But OK!

man like

I'm in a long distance relationship with my girl right now, what I'd give to be with her man

enjoy what you have buddy

>foreign policy
yes
>domestic policy
hell fucking no fuck that fuck that

How's egypt these days? Haven't really heard much in the news since the military threw out the muslim brotherhood. (I am not that other dutchflag you talked to earlier, though it seems we both have a bit for the middle-east/iran)

I also read somewhere that there was a lease of 99 years on it given to the British, all vague info in my head.

In these historical cases it is very difficult to have one part be right and another to be wrong. Was it rightful to take a canal because many died building it who were Egyptian or does it belong to those that owned the shares? Generally I guess the one who owns it should have it, because by that logic all the stadiums in Qatar right now belong to India or Bangladesh. But in many if not all of these cases the European powers gave the local rulers a bad deal, generally fucking them over pardon my French (again, I only know piecemeal about the Suez canal).

All in all I think eventually Egypt had a right to that huge gap in their country just like the Panamanians have it, but perhaps it could have been done with more care. Blocking Israel access hardly seems like a good idea to me.

ayy jonge hoe gaat het met jou* (jouw is a possesive)?

Hi, just a pasty white guy, nothing diaspora. Personally I think Arab nationalism is not a hugely bad idea, set aside the fact that a too powerful Arab world would upset the balance of power in the world. I however do not think it would be very viable given the very local mindedness that seems to be present in the middle east. But the main positive point is that pan-Arabism is often mixed with a more secular outlook.

meh, it's hobbling along desu

>economy's in the absolute shitter
>prices are sky high
>inflation's up it's ass
>it's stable for the most part (northern sinai's the exception)

It's like, kinda back to the old shit. Really fucking breaks my heart man. It really goddamn does. The difference is that it's not a dictatorship that's ruling it's people by fear, but a government that could evolve into a dictatorship because it's people are afraid.

It's fine to visit though, as long as you're in groups or have a local with you, etc etc etc

Oh man, wasn't asking about that, I was asking about where you're from in NL man

> 070 for 3 years
>moved to mokum last year

Arab nationalism isn't inherently a bad idea but it's unfeasible in the area man, people are way too different. Read up on the UAR if you're curious.

>main positive point is that it's secular
mmmmmmmeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

kinda sorta, but not really

nasser was cool

I do hope to visit at some point, but I'm going to Iran already early next year. Dad also has good memories of the place when he was there as part of the UN forces in the 70s/80s (Although, were they stationed in Egypt? I might be misremembering his stationings with his touring the region)

I'm a different dutch flag, none of those who you replied to. Is it safe for me to study in Egypt? (Alone)

it's a really wacky place, just really goddamn fucked economically. Doesn't mean it's any less interesting though. And we like white people

>were they stationed in Egypt?
could've been, if he was part of the MFO I guess.

hmmmmm
>where (i.e. what uni)
>male/female?

>Oh man, wasn't asking about that, I was asking about where you're from in NL man

Ah, Flevoland. The most boring part of the country according to many but at least we can be proud that our nation has built such a large plot of land just because we were bored.

I read about the UAR a bit, I guess it goes to show that it is perhaps not the best of ideas. But let me retrace some steps, it is not entirely secular, but at least it is often much more. Pan-Arabism has a lot of forms and shapes but for example the founder of the ba'ath movement, Michel Aflaq was himself not even Muslim even though he agreed that Islam played a vital role in Arab identity. Generally speaking pan-Arabists are a bit more mild towards christians. At a presentation of open doors they even stated that before all of this Assad's Syria was one of the few places in the middle east where they were largely given a break from government interference.

al-aswan dam great public works project plenty of jobs

i was about to leave, but saw this comment.

in Assadist Syria, Christians can't become president by law. before Hafezs coup, Syria had a democracy, as shitty as it was, they even had a christian PM
and the idea that they are not persecuted is a myth. Assad to protect his ''protector of minorities'' lie, hunted down any christians, alawites, druzes...etc that where against him. he hunted them down harsher then he did hardcore islamists.
to him, they posed a bigger danger
don't fall for the memes.

Male here. Would it make a difference if I was a female? If so how much of a difference? In alexandria btw.

fake news
I get that you hate Khamenei but stop being a whore.

Assad treats Christians way better than an FSA government would.
There's a reason why Christians in Homs flock to fight for him.

I didn't even mention the ''FSA''....

Why do you people always do the same..... I point out how shit Assad is and you attack the rebel groups.

Where in my comment did i endorsed any other faction?

>flevoland
ah OK OK

oh yeah man, though Almere's a little depressing tbqhwy

>pan-Arab secularism
Oh, that's not what I mean at all though, haha.

Basically, religion and culture are not clearly distinct in a lot of areas, with some customs and traditions being associated with religion but having no basis for it other than some cultural striving towards what they'd imagine a religion to entail, & vice versa, where you have a lot of things that a religion predicates that are not really taken into account in a society right. With Pan-Arabists, while the element of religion is formally much less present, that is more for political reasons than anything else; Nasser's main rivals were the MB, and thus he had every incentive on planet earth to make sure that he established himself as legitimate by taking that element out of public discussion, forming a legitimacy based on national/ethnic affiliation rather than a religious one.

However, to appear legitimate, you'd still have to respect the traditions of the country and what have you, which entails you'd also try to legitimize yourself on the basis of culture. That essentially means you'd be OK with a baseline of social conservatism as espoused by religion, one that's pretty tolerant according to your standards. That's kinda what we have now desu, a socially conservative society (kind of like Republicans in the 1950's sans racism) with religion playing an indirect, but visible role.

Michel Aflaq's right, but for that reason, ya know. Arab Identity's kind of based on that unique intermingling of culture & religion ya know, as the cornerstone for any larger arab affiliation can be traced back to an Islamic one given the conquests of the region by the OG Arabs.

Religion and it's influence, as I see it, is not on the basis of the acceptance or rejection of christians; the prophet pretty clearly set a heap of precedents on how to treat people of the book insofar as prosecution's concerned.

When there's a huge civil war concerning who controls Syria it's kind of relevant.

We all know Assad is a dictator who would kill anyone who opposes him, that isn't news.

He's still the best bet for Syrian Christians though, that's undoubtable.
I'd dare wager your ilk (shiite) would be included in that as well.
And Druze, and Yazidis and Bahaists.

In the context of the middle east it really is "Choose the least evil" rather than "Choose the good" and Assad is the least evil.

You can't name me a single arab/persian leader of the last 40 years that wasn't evil in part.

Ah, you should be OK man.

>would it make a difference if I was a female? If so, how much of a difference?

That depends on a lot of things tbqh. Generally speaking, you should be OK as well, but I'd really, really seek good Egyptian company insofar as friendship and shit is concerned, as that makes it so much better safety-wise. The Police you don't have to worry about, it's just dumbasses who are sexually frustrated, you know.

Alexandria's also a bit more relaxed than Cairo I think, given the relative sizes of both cities. But then again, that really depends on where you go to in those cities man. Egypt's kinda like Chicago, if you catch my drift; the nice areas are really fucking nice, but the shit areas are really god-awful. Loads of nice people, but god-awful areas.

Khaleejis are Sub Saharans mixed

This reminds me of books i red about the commie times when i was young.

Commies would deflect every criticism, by pointing out how much worse the Fascists where
in they're mind any criticism towards them was an endorsement of the Fascists

which is simply ridiculous and retarded. Same with Assad/rebels
criticism of Assad isn't endorsement of the rebels, just like when i criticize the rebels i don't endorse Assad.

why is it so hard to understand.

Thank you for the answer!

>When there's a huge civil war concerning who controls Syria it's kind of relevant.
not in my opinion.one should be free to criticize a faction/group/government, without ''whataboutism'' attacks.

graag gedaan!

Of course, but in a region so filled with anti-christian sentiment, even a little breathing space is great. There is little for me as westerner to really support in the middle east when it comes to governments (separate from the people that live there), the least worst thing seems to be those governments that seem to prefer nationalism over anything else.

Well not to get into a too big theological debate as my knowledge of islam seems to be very much lacking I do think that putting non-believers, even if they are of the book in a separate category is not really a great thing. In the US deep south putting two groups aside of each other in the eyes of the law rarely worked out well for the ones not in power.

Obviosly religion is not the primary influence in Arab cultures. But a bit of a sideroad in European culture that I know much more about, our religion shaped us to the core insofar that it is impossible to think of Europe seperate of chrisianity. Arab culture even moved along religious lines spreading with the caliphate to parts where it was not before. Like I said earlier in this post, I find it hard to really support anyone in that region, so I see pan-Arabism as a less bad alternative, not as a good one. Nasserism seems a bit less 'good' in that effect than ba'athism.

Fascism and Communism weren't the only choices on offer though. There was social democracy, centrism, conservatism, ultra-capitalism, libertarianism, et al.

This really is a dichotomy though.
You have Assad or the salafists.

>theological debate
oh, I'm not saying I agree with it now at all. That's the salafist interpretation of Islam, which stresses what has occured above all else. What I'm talking about more is the spirit behind those ideas; if 1400 years ago you looked around, you wouldn't really have seen that, as everyone was up everyone's ass for being the wrong kind of christian, i.e. in a different sect of the same one, as opposed to completely different ones. I am for a completely secular state, a liberal democracy, and a constitution and government without a trace of religion. If someone wants to be religious, that'd be up to them, but it's between them and their eh, idea of god alone.

>religion not a primary influence, but really did influence everything
it's the same here man, don't even sweat it hehehe.

>pan-Arabism as a less bad alternative, not a good one.
I get what you mean right, but it's built on a shaky foundation. Pan-Arabism, by default, would only really work if you cut off the wings of other political movements, which is what Nasser did. That effectively led them to being driven underground and becoming much more radical, which ultimately wasn't sustainable (as you can see by eh, the general region) as that meant that not only were those who were becoming Islamist much more hardline, it also meant that they were organized much more nefariously & insidiously.

>I find it hard to really support anyone in that region
oh man do I feel you. The one person I had really hoped for is politically dead. Really cool fucking guy, called Mohammed El-Baradei.

This general has been shit for a few years now. no wonder why the regulars all left.

Where are you all going for your next holiday guys

My last comment, i'm going to a movie

i did not ''make an offer'' though. I wrote a analysis of 1 the factions.
i didn't even mentioned the other sides.
Criticizing Assad isn't endorsement of any other factions
Why is this simple notion so hard to get?

>You have Assad or the salafists.
And why? Why don't you say how Assad released these people from prisons, while arresting peaceful activists?
This notion, that ''it's assad or the terrorists'' was Assads goal from the beginning.

Why is the new leader of Ahram Al-Sham free? he was in a government jail until 2015, santenced to life in prison.

Bassel Safadi was a peaceful internet activist campaigning and protesting for an open internet and free Syria. He was arrested in 2012 and executed in 2015. only 2 days ago did his family found out.
Bassel had to smuggle his latters out of prison. While the extremist leader of a militia was fucking Tweeting while in prison.

This notion that you can't criticize Assad, without endorsing some other faction, is utterly retarded.
People who SUPPORT Assad should criticize his rule the most!
Otherwise the ticking time-bomb will just start again.

Hafez destroyed Hama. people still rebelled in 2011.
f the chronic problems of the regime aren't adressed in 10-20 years will repeat this madness all over again.

>lease of 99 years on it given to the British
that was part of the deal with Egyptian shares that were sold
And keep in mind the workers were not paid by the company, it was all on Egypt (apparently many might have been slaves too)
the building of the Suez canal was pretty much what destroyed Egypt
all in all id say it was built with European brains and Egyptian sacrifice

>s. I am for a completely secular state, a liberal democracy, and a constitution and government without a trace of religion.
this didn't exist in the West until a few decades ago.
it's silly to assume the ME will turn out like this after never experiencing democracy in it's history.

if I can afford one, to my girl

>it's silly to assume the ME will turn out like this after never experiencing democracy in it's history
in 2017, yes. Not in 2027 or 2037. It's a generation gap. The minute baby boomers and immediate post-baby boomers start kicking the bucket is when this country will change imo

mate people in ME die for western degrees what makes you wanna go there to study?

had to train your pilots, tankers and infantry better

I feel like I really got betrayed,all these casualities just so everything could return to what it was like.
Nasser is based even though his dreams were a bit unrealistic

fuck off you nasser shill
"waaah we need muh arap spring 2 for liberation"
>Supports a dictator
Get your head out of the gypsy pussy stank for two hours and start thinking straight you azeri cumstain

T.john Johnson
Necj yourself Anglo subhuman

Nasser laid the foundations to every dictator that followed him in the middle east. Before Nasser the Arabs had monarchies trying to reform with several healthy developing parties and a growing political scene, and if it weren't for that shitbag things would've gone towards improving that political scene instead of the one party governing through the spirit of the leader shit. He spearheaded the soviet influence in the region, and it is as bad as western influence, if not worse. And due to that influence we had all of these military soviet backed dickheads governing for decades brainwashing the masses through fear with empty slogans exactly like Nasser did.

>hur dur he helped the poor
Yeah nationalizing everything sure did help the economy in Egypt.

im a diaspora arap you gypsie scum

NABLUS
A
B
L
U
S

Your problem is visas, youre down the list with Somalia and those places...

>Pan-Arabism, by default, would only really work if you cut off the wings of other political movements

A very good point you make here of course, you could not really extinguish the MB or what it stands for in this region. But for as far as I can see as a westerner a strong leader who knows what he is doing could at least curb those things, if only for a while.

Well it existed for a much longer period, but all of this obviously depends on where you put the goalposts. In one way you could say it existed since 1848 in some form or another, perhaps you could even push it back a couple more years. If you make a very strict analysis a completely secular state does not exist in the west, not even now. My country still hails the (christian) God in her documents and the king rules by divine right, Germany still levies a church tax and the UK has primacy for the church of England. But I get what you mean.

It's going through a hard reboot process now, all the separatists finally separated and it is back its previous formula, slow and autistic.

I'm fully recovered now, hopefully for a few years this time. Thankfully I don't need to come here any more.

It became a habit of me to check this place every once in a while, I no longer used like before for couple of years now, still it's a familiar place on the internet for me, but I don't get the part where people attach more emotions to this place than just shitposting and a friendly conversation or banter.

Oh, I'm not attaching emotions or anything. Just pointing out it was once a place of fun, shitposting, banter, education, drama and scandals and now its shit.

perhaps, I don't mind when it is slow tho

oh I'm a student man, visas aren't my problem rn

it's money

wallahi yel3an mayeteen elli ye7lam enn bokra a7san

that's what we tried buddy, for 60 years. They kept popping back up, more and more violent than ever before

So... pan-arabism is a meme?

forced meme at that.

Not even united regions? Like, "arabia" in the gulf and "sham" in the Levant? Or am I just being silly?

I honestly like this idea.

gay and fake

Oh lord I could've sworn it was a legit pic.

Not really, in the contemporary history of the Middle East pan-Arabism has been the most dominating ideology from early colonialism up until the 80s, after that Islamism took over.

or is it, now

T9 YOU MAY BE A NONEXISTENT S'BHUMAN QUQ BUT YOUR VIEWS ON NASSER ARE SPOT ON

I'm not against any form of unitary identity in the sense of elevating the human condition towards togetherness for the better, it is just the main political motives and ideas behind such movements in our region are toxic.

I always knew you love me bae

BTW THE MONARCHIES WERE QUX TOO THEY INVENTED THE IDEA OF LOSING WARS TO ISRAEL NASSER JUST COPIED THE IDEA

GIB FAKESTINE GIRL I CAN FUQ UQUQ

I cannot give what is not real :^)

GIB CRYPTO JEW OLIVENEGRESS

Trump wont gib her visa

GIB ONE THATS ALREADY IN THIS COUNTRY UQUQ

>arab monarchies
>reform
What ? In arab monarchies I can only see anglo/American/french dicksuckers. Under king faruq my grandfather lost all his siblings because he sent all the grain to Britain ,and under nasser my grandfather could go to school without fearing the fact that he would have to pay unholy sums of money

Who do you think was more appealing to the average citizen at that time ?
I don't say that nasser Did everything right or that dictatorship is good,but I do think that he improved the egyptian infrastructure a lot,and that he is basically the founder of modern egypt

When will the Arab/Muslim world grow a pair and genocide Juice?

Don't lose hope my friend,if tomorrow isn't better then after tomorrow will.i personally think we will keep sinking until come to a time where things can only look up,and the thought that this point will come fills me with hope.it doesn't have to be in my lifetime,i just feel happy thinking that one day egypt will be great again

Our approach to the current crisis may be different,but have hope in your country

Didn't you say you were a right wing capatalist, Reza?
Why would you like Nasser then?

After israel completes (or atleast partially completes) their greater israel project,the shock should wake the Arabs and catapult them into action again

>I'm not against any form of unitary identity in the sense of elevating the human condition towards togetherness for the better

Unfortunately untenable.
Actually, it is possible, but everything comes with a price and the price in this scenario is far worse than the katamari damacy of destruction we have going on the world over.

Aren't there like a lot of people that like Israel now? Specially among the non-religious and Gulfies?

Sup /mena/,

Today is my city's 40th annual Lebanese festival. Here in my small Penssylvsnia city we can smell kufta, hear blasting dabke and see Maronite catholic Lebanese babes all day. It's pretty amazing. It's like a big family reunion for them but for non-lebs it's a good time to get fresh and real Lebanese food and chill. Dumping some pics. Got some god their kebab and kofta yesterday.

You use the same logic da jews use
>we dried the swamps it is our right

Almost everywhere in the world pre 50s had shitty infrastructure, Nasser came in the time to utilize the modern technology which made modern infrastructure a less expensive endeavor that it was decades before that at the time of monarchy, modern example being the new suez canal vs the old one. My point is Nasser was just at the right time when it comes to infrastructure but definitely not in the right place, as he did a shitty job when it comes to developing Egypt's infrastructure or planning. Your inability to imagine a different timeline where your own people did a better job than Nasser, is the reason your country is still shit.

I agree with you that such idea is near impossible right now. But given better circumstances do you still think the price would be higher still?

oh man, I really wish I could think like that. But every time I watch this video I really can't man. That's what we all thought then.

youtube.com/watch?v=Fgw_zfLLvh8

Do you remember how good that fucking felt? How alive you felt?

One day, we will be a better country, for sure. One day. But because of where the country has done, I no longer feel part of it. My dream is broken. Someone else's might not be.

gone*

>gulf
>humans
Only gulfies I consider human are omanis and imaratis,Jordan is based and I could support Yemen if they weren't such cucks

How are Emiratis human? Or Yemenites cucks?

Just because they buy our 'women' for dirt cheap doesn't mean you have the right to call them subhumans

According to my DNA test I have one Iberian ancestor between 1780 - 1870, and one West African one (almost certainly a slave, maybe a rape?), and one Italian ancestor between 1720 - 1810.

What could have caused such a migration?

Barbary pirates?

My grandmother is Bedouin so it would not have come from her. My grandfather and all his tribe are from a famous port city so I guess that's how people mixed.

I was looking at the photos of my DNA second - fifth cousins. They all look creepily like me and I would totally have sex with some of them.

Actually I found a few gays and a couple of trans by copying their names into facebook. I guess my deviant behaviour may be genetic after all and not because muh daddy issues and child abuse

What the heck are you?

MUDROCCAN

ITS TRUE THE LAND BELONGED TO THE JEWS EVEN BEFORE THEY (WE) DRAINED THE SWAMPS DRAINING THE SWAMPS WAS JUST A BONUS

haha i love delusional arabs.
>According to my DNA
i thought those only worked on homo sapiens sapiens.
oh right it's beur.

QUQ

QIQE

QUQE

>inability to imagine timelines
Ok Jordan let's imagine
> Probability 1
The coup never happens,and faruq keeps handing over grain to Britain while the tiny amount of factory equipment to the war bled countries who were desperate.he dies and his son (who,some say,was autistic) takes over
>probability 2
Mohammed naguib isn't removed
He goes down the path of dictatorship
>probability 3
Nasser

I would pick Nasser desu. Foreigners never understand because they never feel what we went through.as for
>just a less expensive endeavour

King faruq wasn't even triying,it was nice to have a leader who at the very least made an effort to build an actual factory.

Out with the old, in with the new. It's the circle of life.
Well, are you gonna keep posting or not?

DA FOKEN JOOOOOOOOOS

did they get punished for this?

at my local Lebanese fest now it's LIIIT

>he goes down the path of dictatorship
Naguib? What are you talking about?