You know what? I'm just going to be honest. I'm pretentious as fuck, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that...

You know what? I'm just going to be honest. I'm pretentious as fuck, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. There is nothing wrong with diving deeper into art than other people, and recognizing that you are better than the plebs who blindly consume top 40 garbage. I'm not ashamed of appreciating art on a deeper level. There is nothing wrong with listening to incredibly obscure artists and ignoring formulaic pop music. This board could use more pretentious people. This board could use more gatekeeping. This board could use more elitism. Maybe then we wouldn't have a million rap threads, and people who think fucking Radiohead and MGMT are obscure. Maybe if this board had more pretentious posters, we would have some actually interesting musical discussions, and people would find new artists and develop a better understanding of music as a whole, instead of being an echo-chamber that circlejerks the same ~50 albums every day. I come here to discuss music with people that I can't discuss in person, and to find new artists. If I wanted to talk about mainstream shit like Kendrick Lamar, I would just go to a college campus and strike up a conversation with the first person I see. This post will obviously piss people off and garner several negative replies from plebs. The majority of replies will be negative. That's to be expected. Plebs are, by definition, the majority. Those who are serious about music will know that I'm right. We need more pretentious elitism.

Other urls found in this thread:

dictionary.com/browse/objective
youtube.com/watch?v=mx_NGGxs_Zg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Agree 100%

based

is this pasta

Have to agree. Sometimes the truth sounds pretentious, but it doesn't make it not true.

Unfortunately Sup Forums is sinking farther and farther into the mindset of
>anybody who cares about anything more than I do is autistic

I really don't know why I come here anymore

Not saying I disagree with it, but I’m pretty sure it’s pasta.

No. I'm being totally sincere. This board is full of fucking children who listen to the most surface-level trash, and think they're "different" for doing so.

If you guys want something different and cutting edge check out Lil Xan

These men speak the truth.

If you have interesting music to discuss, then start a thread about it

Its one thing to want to delve deeper into music because you find it interesting, but that has nothing to do with you feeling superior because you like more difficult to access shit
You're no better than top 40 pop fans who think anything slightly obscure is not for them

The problem with this board isn't normies, its faggots like you who think your taste is above anyone else's in a subjective art form like music

Enjoy your (you)

---Completely unironic opinion below this line---

Most people on this board who claim something is pretentious are just fucking morons who believe their intellectual capacity is so grand that absolutely nothing could possibly escape their scope of reasoning.
This also applies to people who use the term "pseudointellectual," it just makes you look like such a fucking ape.

bc of autism?

>pretentious
=
>diving deeper into art
No.

How do we get rid of people like OP out of this board?

Most art below the surface-level, or art that challenges what's considered "acceptable," is often called pretentious. It also happens to be some of the most interesting art, and the most challenging shit tends to be the most rewarding. At least to me.

>I come here to discuss music with people that I can't discuss in person
As soon as you find real-life people who are on your level in terms of what music you like and who are actually cool, intellectually honest people you can be friends with, you'll never want to have a serious discussion here ever again, and you'll be objectively better off.

I agree, just seemed like pasta
I think elitism was always a nice element of Sup Forums and theres a healthy mix of patrish/plebitry that Sup Forums achieved at some point for a brief glimpse of time but since then doved into the deep end with waves and waves of faggots arriving here through various means
there needs to be a contained /rap/ general and faggot memes like gucci gang and 69 and this (at least as OPs,idrc about dumb posts in-thread) banned

Pasta or not I agree with you.

But that doesn't sound pretentious, maybe you sound pretentious in person, work on that.

You have no idea what the word "pretentious" means despite the definition being a mere google search away. Ironically, you are a pretentious fuck. It's just that the real meaning of the word is not as romantic as you wish it were. You are also a pleb. A pretentious pleb.

Somewhat agree. But it's important to remember that obscurity =/= quality

And I'm sure there's hundreds of others like you here who feel the same way deep down. But the thing is, the same ~50 albums get discussed on rotation here everyday because everyone here has heard them, and heard them enough times to formulate a strong opinion that can be readily shared and discussed with others. That's really all there is to it. There might be only 10 or so people here who've listened to any given obscure album but they've most definitely listened to Kid A like every other pleb here.

Nah dude your just a loser bruv, go get a skill.

>subjective art form like music
Here's another one. On top of not understanding the nuance of the word "subjective" and using it as some sort of defensive mechanism to escape the need to look at music from an analytical and critical viewpoint because you lack a deep enough understanding of music, you also attribute this warped definition of it to just music, when it can apply just to any other art form.

Spot-fucking-on. We need good old fashioned elitism.

good post.

This. Music can be discussed and criticized from a technical standpoint, the same way films can. Simply saying "I like it" or "lol it doesn't sound good" with no explanation is the laziest and most plebian form of criticism.

The hero Sup Forums needs right now

agreed also bring back sharethreads and kisses on the mouth

Hip-Hop has little to no artistic merit, and absolutely no place in a serious musical discussion. It pales in comparison to every other serious form of music, and has the lowest standards of quality. A majority of the low-effort garbage that's acceptable in hip-hop just wouldn't be acceptable in other genres. Yet, hip-hop fans eat it right up and even praise it. They have no place on this board. Fight me.

>Hip-Hop has little to no artistic merit
Stopped reading there. And it's NOT because I possess limited literacy, no sir!

buttslammed rapbaby

Do you think the highest works of hip-hop can hold a candle to the highest works of any other genre? Before anybody says it, I'm not a racist. Hip-Hop pales in comparison to jazz and blues, which are both predominantly black genres.

Montieboys, get these poseurs.

this post actually reads like youre a pseud thats been called out and im being honest with you here. most people know exactly whats meant by pseudointellectualism because its easily observable if youre not caught up in it.

I wouldn't hold blues to a very high standard, honestly. Try soul or funk, the two genres that rap pretty much became shitty karaoke of.

this is a middleschool-tier opinion my man. no genre is artistically worthless. youre being pretentious and ignorant.

Pretentiousness isn't something to be proud of you spaz it's literally synonymous with tastelessness. Find a better facet of yrself to laud before acting high and mighty about it; elitism isn't anywhere near enough to increase the quality of board discussion; unwarranted elitism is essentially what's wrong with this board the first place. Knowledge is something to be proud of, not attitude, and certainly not attitude with little knowledge.

the logical conclusion to this argument is to listen to music you like regardless of its popularity or obscurity level.

there's a difference between:

i) a person who listens to obscure music because they know what sort of sounds they like and enjoy seeking out new music within that sonic bracket
ii) a person who listens to obscure music just to create a veneer of 'seeming cooler than the plebs'.

please don't be the latter.

Genre is a categorisation of certain sets of stylistic forms and techniques, and ideas. Some stylistic forms, techniques and ideas are outright worthless. "there's value in absolutely everything" is a very fucking stupid ideal and you're not fooling anyone with it.

"there's value in absolutely everything" is not what im saying though. im saying that its ridicoulos, maybe even plain stupid to say that an entire genre of music is artistically worthless just because you are unable to get into it. and i am absolutely sure that its 'you cant get into it' rather than 'its objectively bad', because its way less likely that you are so much smarter and more developed than everyone else compared to you just not giving a genre a fair shot for whatever reason

Mate, do you honestly believe that something like TPAB or Illmatic or The fucking Chronic holds a candle to even the most entry-level jazz album? Do you honestly think that something like Liquid Swords is as good as A Love Supreme?

I do understand pseudointellectualism can be a demonstrably observable trait, but I feel it's mostly used as a term to strip agency from something and both take authenticity from it and claim authenticity for yourself.
Rarely have I seen someone who claims something as "pseudointellectual" actually supplement the claim with any kind of body.

The Sup Forums Anti-Poseur Initiative needs to comeback in full force

>because its way less likely that you are so much smarter and more developed than everyone
I'm not but considering hip-hop is primarily valued by musically illiterate publications like pitchfork, white american suburbanites aged 14-25, and straight up street trash, I'm pretty sure being in the middle of the intellectual bell curve and having at least a moderate interest in music is enough. What defaults you to the assumption that anyone who dismisses the genre never have it a proper chance anyway? What has hip hop going for it that other genres like jazz, rock, indie folk, etc. don't do with much more tact and depth?

you have to make exceptions for crunkcore and eurodance though

>
But the value of any aspect of music you are able to discuss is still subjective.

>This board is full of fucking children who listen to the most surface-level trash, and think they're "different" for doing so
Projecting much? Just let people enjoy and discuss whatever the hell they want. Stop being such an asshole

If you haven't heard at least one full album's worth of music by each of the following

Merzbow, Boredoms, Gerogerigegege, Coil, Throbbing Gristle, Whitehouse, Nurse with Wound, Einstürzende Neubauten, Brainbombs, Egor Letov, Death in June, Current 93, La Monte Young, Moondog, Lou Harrison, Henry Cowell, Luigi Russolo, Popol Vuh, Fishmans, Jean Jacques Perrey, Les Rallizes Dénudés, Rainbow Caroliner, Taj Mahal Travellers, Fushitsusha, Peter Brötzmann, John Cage, Scott Walker, Unwound, Dead, Frank Zappa, Morton Feldman, Captain Beefheart, Pharoah Sanders, Albert Ayler, Ornette Coleman, Alice Coltrane, Arnold Schoenberg, Pierre Boulez, György Ligeti, Karlheinz Stockhausen, Nang Nang, Thinking Fellers Union Local 282, Nara Leão, Basic Channel, Raymond Scott, Delia Derbyshire, Daphne Oram, Noah Howard, Terry Riley, Peter Sotos, Lula Côrtes e Zé Ramalho, Boyd Rice, Mahmoud Ahmed, Henry Flynt, Kazumoto Endo, David Tudor, Aporea, Half Japanese, Mega Banton, Secret Chiefs 3, Keiji Haino, Ramleh, Otomo Yoshihide, John Zorn, Joe Meek, Robbie Basho, Phil Spector, Faxed Head, Harry Partch, Wesley Willis, Fred Frith, The Residents, Sun Ra, Sun City Girls, Hans Krüsi, Royal Trux, Jandek, Yat-Kha, Loren Mazzacane Connors, Pärson Sound, The Dead C, Comus, Cromagnon, Eliane Radigue, Arthur Doyle, Shizuka, The Red Krayola, Henry Cow, Magma, Opus Avantra, Pan.Thy.Monium., Murmuüre, Ksiezyc, Gong, Cukor Bila Smert', cLOUDDEAD, Muslimgauze and Kaoru Abe

You should not post on Sup Forums

I pass this test with flying colors lmao

subjective - objective is a spectrum, not absolutes, you dumb fuck. There's such a thing as "objective opinion", believe it or not. Stop using a misinterpretation of the concept as a defensive mechanism for not having to take any responsibility for the views you hold. Your input is absolutely worthless when it comes to any serious discussion.

what do you mean primarily valued. if it lacks artistic worth it needs to be exclusively valued by those who are not interested in such.
>What defaults you to the assumption that anyone who dismisses the genre never have it a proper chance anyway
i was too lazy to type it out but ofcourse its also possible that you gave it a chance and didnt like it due to your personal taste.

>"there's value in absolutely everything" is a very fucking stupid ideal and you're not fooling anyone with it.
the inability to understand someone else's point of view in a sign of autism. you wouldn't happen to be on the spectrum, would you user?

diamond in a rhinestone world or whatever will always hold a special place in my heart because it gave me fucking ego death without the need of a psychedelic trip

Wrong. Music is objective. Enjoyment of music is subjective. If a drummer is constantly off beat, and can't play at a steady tempo, he is objectively a bad drummer. You can still enjoy it, though. Your enjoyment is subjective, but it doesn't change the fact that he is an objectively bad drummer.

I understand your point of view. I also understand it is founded entirely on ignorance, therefore I dismiss it.

ugh that's not a helpful form of gatekeeping; no one has any obligation to care about noise or any other genre. those don't represent a high level of intellectual development

that user is not me

There's always someone who has better taste than you unfortunately

Do you think I give a shit? Is this your first time leaving r/hiphopheads and visiting an anonymous image board? You're following up on that post, you may as well be. You have no identity here, rather your identity is the positions and arguments you make. You may as well be that user. That's how shit works around here, you dumb newfag.

>you have no identity here
>I have an identity here
Just turn on your trip code and be done with it

I concede. What I meant was this, basically people enjoy different aspects of music and if a person is able to defend their love of "top 40 garbage" with specific reference to the music, I believe that their opinion is justified.

not a newfag buddy-o. you dismissing the post and poster makes it relevant that im not him. im not sure why you are so angry

There, I turned it on for you. Happy?

no, there's nothing wrong with being more interested in music than other people, but the fact you'd even make this post betrays that you aren't actually sincere about it

>objective opinion
There is no such thing, all opinions are subjective by definition. What you're talking about is knowledge. I'm not saying I don't have to justify my views, but my views on music could be justified no matter what, e.g., "I like how the drummer can't keep tempo and how all the instruments are out of tune."

Me too!

>opens with actual garbage
>john cage is also on the list
okay dude

I agree with that, but I think what OP was saying is that shouldn't really be discussed here because it's already discussed literally everywhere else. They play top 40 shit in Wal-Mart. This board should be for a deeper kind of musical discussion.

quality post

lol are you seriously mocking somebody for not having a proper tripcode? that might be the saddest thing i've ever seen on here

Well, if you weren't such a newfag, you'd know a name is not a tripcode

how much drugs do people take to find this garbage enjoyable

>challenges your 4/4 time, ABABCBB, song at 120bpm, in the key of C
>garbage
Pleb.

>theoryfag

>There is no such thing
dictionary.com/browse/objective
Can you go please be an illiterate idiot somewhere else now?

>recognizing that almost all pop songs follow the same structure, in the same key, at the same tempo, in the same time signature is a bad thing
Enjoy literally listening to the same song over and over again.

that is what you call the sound of rodents banging against metal garbage cans in a city?

No, that's the top 40 pop formula.

that doesn't make sense, if an opinion is only based on facts it is not an opinion.

there is no such thing as an "objective opinion" as that is a oxymoron.

what is the order here?

i am fairly sure i actually pass, but there is some random stuff here. i think some things on this list you have to have heard to say it is garbage and move on from - i think this is kind of the point of the post though.,

Which part of "based on" do you have trouble with? Why are you even trying to argue serious topics with people when you don't even have the most fundamental grasp of the English language?

give me an example of an opinion based on facts alone

Nice list of tryhard music there

>pretentious
>pretentious
>pretentious
>pretentious
do you even know what that word means, you fucking pseud? there's nothing pretentious about genuinely enjoying obscure and esoteric art. there's nothing pretentious about using big words to describe how they impact you and the images they conjure in your mind. there's nothing pretentious about knowing that you're on a higher artistic level than the average college campus pleb. there's nothing pretentious about having respect for authentic, nuanced, and original art.
pretentiousness is simply the act of getting involved with things you don't like in order to create a false image that fits in with a certain crowd.

aside from that, i totally agree with you. Sup Forums has lost its elitist edge and is on a downward spiral. before 2011, posting about rap or any hip hop for that matter would result in you getting the piss taken out of you. even "obscure" artists like aphex twin or neutral milk hotel would result in replies like "entry level pleb" or "how's your first day going?". now you can talk about shit like fka twigs and arca all day long and get your asshole rimmed by a bunch of faggot hipsters
and eventually when i find another community, on the internet or not, that's comprised of actual intelligent music fans who appreciate it for the art form that it is, i'll be sure to never speak of it to anyone

fuck nu-Sup Forums. this board's only purpose is as a shitpost dumpster.

I think you are retarded. It is an opinion based on the fact that, despite having a demonstrably false understanding of a term, you continue to vehemently hold on to and defend your false understanding of it with brash confidence.
There you go, good enough for you?

Pasta

you avoided answering the question, because you can't.

are you retarded? let me spell it out for you.

>objective fact: "It's raining right now."
>objective opinion based on that fact: "It's a gloomy day today."
Not all people find rain gloomy, but their opinion would be objective too, despite being contradictory to this one.

yes, but it is pretentious to think something is better merely by the fact that it is more obscure, complicated, or different than something else alone.

and im pretty sure there are a lot of people who think this way in regards to art.

I didn't. I gave you an example. You're avoiding coming to terms with the fact that you just may be only a couple integers away from having the IQ of a potato.

I'd rather be a pleb than Caligula.
That chart is 95% utter shit.

youtube.com/watch?v=mx_NGGxs_Zg

You're a good poster. I've yet to find a community like that, so I'm trying my best to make this one work by harshly shaming plebs when I encounter them.

kek

There is no rule book to music. You make it as go. Music is completely up to the listener. You're no better than anyone.

first off, you don't have to say "objective fact" as that makes no sense.

secondly, that is still an opinion, albeit a justified one.

There's literally a rule book to 99% of the pop music you fags discuss here, and somebody posted it.

>secondly, that is still an opinion, albeit a justified one
i.e. an objective opinion