/lang/ - Language Learning

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

Check the first few replies ITT for plenty of language ressources as well as some nice image guides. /lang/ is currently short on those image guides, so if you can pitch in to help create one for a given language, don't hesitate to do so!

Other urls found in this thread:

4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup
duolingo.com/
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
memrise.com/
lingvist.com/
clozemaster.com/languages
tatoeba.org/eng/
forvo.com
effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/language-difficulty
lexicity.com/
cosmogyros.tumblr.com/post/108962232110/huge-new-language-learning-collection
dliflc.edu/resources/products/
en.childrenslibrary.org
hellotalk.com/#en
italki.com/
mylanguageexchange.com/
interpals.net/
gospeaky.net/
speaky.com/
polyglotclub.com/
lang-8.com/
goethe-verlag.com/
languagetransfer.org/
babadum.com
context.reverso.net/translation/
boards.Sup
bbc.com/travel/story/20170731-greeces-disappearing-whistled-language
reddit.com/r/Korean/comments/rq3th/the_ultimate_beginners_resource_thread/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Language learning resources:
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

duolingo.com/
>Duolingo is a free language-learning platform that includes a language-learning website and app, as well as a digital language proficiency assessment exam. Duolingo offers all its language courses free of charge.

>Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages.

drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
>Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages.

fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
>Drill based courses with text and audio.The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) is the United States federal government's primary training institution for employees of the U.S. foreign affairs community.These courses are all in public domain and free to download.Site may go down sometimes but you can search for fsi on google and easily find a mirror.

memrise.com/
>Free resource to learn vocabulary, nice flash cards.

lingvist.com/
>It's kinda like Clozemaster in the sense that you get a sentence and have to fill in the missing word, also has nice statistics about your progress, grammar tips and more information about a word (noun gender, verb aspects for Russian, etc.)

ankisrs.net/
>A flash card program

clozemaster.com/languages
>Clozemaster is language learning gamification through mass exposure to vocabulary in context.Can be a great supplementary tool, not recommended for absolute beginners.

tatoeba.org/eng/
>Tatoeba is a collection of sentences and translations with over 300 hundred languages to chose from.

radio.garden/
>Listen to radio all around the world through an interactive globe

forvo.com
>Has pronunciation for lots of words in lots of languages

effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/language-difficulty
>Check out information about languages and their difficulties

lexicity.com/
>An invaluable resource for comparative language study as well as those interested in ancient languages

cosmogyros.tumblr.com/post/108962232110/huge-new-language-learning-collection
>A very extensive language learning collection for 90+ languages.

dliflc.edu/resources/products/
>Similar to FSI, drill-based courses with text and audio issued by the US government.These courses were made for millitary personel in mind unlike FSI.

en.childrenslibrary.org
>Lots of childrens books in various languages, categories 3-5yo, 6-9yo, 10-13yo.

hellotalk.com/#en
>The app is basically whatsapp, but only connects you with people who are native in the language you are trying to learn. It also has a facebook type section where you can share pics and stuff too.

italki.com/
mylanguageexchange.com/
interpals.net/
gospeaky.net/
speaky.com/
polyglotclub.com/
lang-8.com/
>Few more language exchange communities like Hellotalk:

goethe-verlag.com/
>A mostly free site which offers audio and drill like exercises for 40+ languages.

languagetransfer.org/
>A free resource with recordings to learn a language.

babadum.com
>Flash card game with a focus on vocabulary.

context.reverso.net/translation/
>A website like Tatoeba (also has a Firefox extension!)

Previous thread: boards.Sup Forums.org/int/thread/77949480#top

How's the learning going, /lang/?

What language are you learning?
How's it coming along?
Any new methods you are trying to pick it up faster?

>not posting all of the image guides
step it up, OP

>How's the learning going, /lang/?
Did two lessons of my French exercise book (130/200p) and revised vocabulary. Watched some Français avec Pierre(GOAT youtube channel btw.). Had two calls with qts on HelloTalk got HYPE'D for my flight to Geneva by the end of this month where I will be hosted by a qt I met on HT for 4 days.

I thought others might like to post them also. They are fun and rewarding to post.

>i'll never have the guts to do this

Putting yourself consciously into situations where you will use your target language is an essential part of language study.

That's great! Think things will get lewd?

She's dropped some hints but nothing too overt or explicit. Like she gauged my past experience(I made some amused and ambigious comments about that) and making sure that her parents are gone 'because she doesn't like the house being too crowded' but she told me about some bad past experiences from some wuss she met on a festival who made repeatedly inappropriate approaches after already getting rejected. So I have to find the golden mean.

I prefer being cautious with coming on too strong. Keeping things ambigious actually protects you a way because it doesn't provoke a strong rejection. For example if you've exchanged nudes and she finds out that you are a total assburger that this can lead to a strong ejection from her part but if you are keeping things fuzzy you can get friendzoned but still get hosted for free 'as a friend' (and Switzerland is expensive).

We'll see how it turns out.

Priorities are:
-language practice
-travelling for cheap
-getting laid

In that order.

Sounds like a great plan. How many languages do you know now?

You normalfags are insufferable. Take this 3DPD shit shit to /soc/.

bbc.com/travel/story/20170731-greeces-disappearing-whistled-language

rip

>fat ugly loser with zero friends

At least in another language I will make friends right??

I "studied" for like 9 hours today.Read through a book with a dictionary.Was fun, gonna do it next week desu.

You gotta put yourself out there, it won't happen overnight but you'll eventually get there.

>You gotta put yourself out there
I tried that one

Never repeating that mistake again

>one
once*

The girl student in Michel Thomas Spanish has a very qt voice.

How do I get better at listening? I can read at just about fluent levels but unless they speak at a snail's pace, I get lost. I've watched countless shows/movies in my target (no English subs) for active practice, I listen to music for passive (meme) practice, and I've done Michel Thomas.

I don't know anyone who speaks the language so that's out. Language learning is for my own personal edification, so I'm not tripping too hard over this but this is aggravating.

Have you tried some of those slow news sites? Some languages have that where you can listen to the news but they speak slower.

Nah never encountered those, I'll give it a whirl.

Probably a vague or useless question but do these types of things still use the normal news vocab? I'll get annoyed if they tone down the vocab level. The simple words are the ones I can identify easily but once the sentences get more complicated is when I lose track, so I'd like it if they speak slowly but retain the complex structure/vocab.

how do you practice with music?
i give the song a listen, watch the lyric video, then give it a listen again and i should be able to at least distinguish where words begin and end
ill usually keep listening until the lyrics are clear enough to understand them on the fly

Learning Turkish and I gotta say it's tough to keep going. My drive keeps plummeting and I'm barely scraping out an hour a day of study.

>ill usually keep listening until the lyrics are clear enough to understand them on the fly
This basically. I just listen a bunch as background and it eventually sinks in through remembering the melody. It's more of a way to get used to the sounds of the language than an actual tool for serious practice.

thred ded

/lang/ is always pretty dead around this time

When I listen to people from Spain talking on Periscope I've noticed they say "pues" a bunch. Is that similar to what "like" is for young American girls where they add it a bunch of places it doesn't need to be? I hear "pues" a ton.

I think it means bien

>I prefer being cautious with coming on too strong. Keeping things ambigious actually protects you a way because it doesn't provoke a strong rejection. For example if you've exchanged nudes and she finds out that you are a total assburger that this can lead to a strong ejection from her part but if you are keeping things fuzzy you can get friendzoned but still get hosted for free 'as a friend' (and Switzerland is expensive).
As long as getting laid isn't a top priority for you, then keep doing what you're doing. Just don't make this type of approach a habit for when you do find a girl you want to be with.

Mari pagan dresses (at least, that's what I assume those at the front are) are pretty /fa/

Yes, but they just seem to toss it in there a lot randomly. I'm likely just noticing nothing, but, was curious.

Is the radio station website back up, Maribro?

>Is the radio station website back up, Maribro?
nope

But I may have found another place where they play the station (I'll only be able to test it later), but for some fucking reason it doesn't work in my browser (firefox), so I have to use fucking IE. Needless to say, I'd really rather they just renew their domain name and go back to how it was a few days ago.

Can you contact them and let them know about the seriousness of the matter?

So what does everyone think of Siri's new translation skills?

>iphones

I've already had an ipad shoved in my face by someone who knows I'm learning Spanish.

>tfw couldn't understand it
even siri talks too fast for me. :o(

habla más despacio is going to be my most commonly used Spanish.

>iphones

This is mostly been asked before, but do you guys have a flowchart for learning German as in these

How long to be fluent in russian if you have a russian gf you can communicate with daily but you're very lazy being a spanish/catalan native speaker and fluent in english and french?

I don't speak Russian, they most likely cannot into Engrish, and I'm still way too shy to try contacting them in Mari (not to mention the possibility that the person who actually reads the emails doesn't speak Mari, which would be a very spaghettiful situation).

No flowchart

I found this today, I had forgotten I had it. It's not a flowchart, and a whole of it is simply ultra-generic language learning advice (not to mention the style is directly copied from Nama-sensei). But maybe it'll help you.

>tfw want to learn all the languages

That would only require you time.

Is there a guide for Korean? I only own pic related, but it's really pleb-tier and clearly written by an amateur

How do you know when it's a good time to start learning another language?

what about it

Alright, I've just spent the last half hour composing an email message, rigorously digging through the dictionary to make sure it's as correct as I can possibly make it given my current knowledge. I also made it extremely formal.

But now that it's actually done, of course, I'm afraid of actually sending it.

Use a throwaway email if you're so nervous.

>Hey Boris, look at this nerd that likes our radio station! He can't even write correctly!
C'mon user. I believe in you.

>Hey Boris, look at this nerd that likes our radio station! He can't even write correctly!
AAAAAAAH

Why did you have to write that? That only unironically made me more nervous.

But fine, I'll do it. What's the best place to make a throwaway email adress? I used to have a hotmail throwaway but for whatever reason it no longer works, and I just looked at creating a yahoo account but it's a pain in the ass (have to provide mobile number and all that annoying crap)

I ahve no idea. Does hotmail not work anymore at all? You can try just a random gmail or something.

learning past subjunctive is fucking useless

alright, it's done

If it turns out that I completely fucked up and it's literally unreadable, I'm going to be so fucking embarrassed.

Come on dude, why would you get bullied. Even if there's mistakes they'll get the gist of it and appreciate it.

monitoring because I am also learning russian and I want to know if your email's good or not

Good work, user! This is the first time communicating with someone right? Being embarrassed is normal. I spilled all kinds of spaghetti in /deutsch/ my first time posting in there. ain't no thang.

Be sure to post their response if you get one.

It's not Russian, it's Mari

But if you have any questions about Russian, there's a German of Russian origin who sometimes posts in these threads, he's pretty good at explaining stuff and often seems keen on helping learners, if you're willing to wait for him to show up if you have some questions (which could take a while, obviously).

Ah I was wondering why I couldn't understand anything besides "Salam". I'm pretty stupid in the mornings.

why

thanks, and yes it is indeed my first time

Incidentally, this experience also made me encounter the most intimidating Mari word I've seen yet (тypгыжлaндapымeмлaн - "turgäžlandarämemlan" in Latin script). Luckily this one I'm relatively sure is actually correct.

I think the German might be confusing subjunctive past (a tense which is actually used, though which can be tricky for learners) with subjunctive pluperfect and/or imperfect (tenses which are literally NEVER used, to the extent where even many natives wouldn't be able to use them properly).

That's right, I'm more stupid by the day. I'll stop posting now.

Don't worry about m8, I can't speak for French people, but I can tell you that many Québécois fuck up their subjunctive tenses (i.e. use present when they should use past, or even worse use the indicative mood when they should be using the subjunctive mood).

Lol I don't think French people do that (French is my mother tongue) but otherwise they'd be equally unable to use the subjunctive imperfect I think. Flashback to my hs days:

>anons we're learning the subjunctive imperfect, pick a verb and the class will conjugate it
>can we do "savoir"
>"user, non seulement tu es insolent, mais tu deviens crétin"

And no-one in the class laughed at my joke because no-one knows fucking subjunctive imperfect.

Any chance someone could dole up the Turkish chart a bit? I'm like borderline A2/B1 but I feel kind of stuck and would appreciate some more upper beginner guidance

I've seen the cyrillic "e" in russian be spoken as "ye" and "eh" in different words.
Is there any reason for this and when is each one sounded? (use of "ь" to not be considered)

Anybody successfully learn a language to a C1/C2 level? Feeling discouraged and need some guidance.

I speak Russian, maybe I can help.

if i do a duolingo course while following a grammar textbook and immersing in german films, tv, and music going to be sufficient for starting out in german? also can I get some music and film recs? thanks in advance

If you put in 800 hours of study, sure, why not?
But as soon as you drop the grammar book (which is only meant to get you started) and start reading books that interest you, the better.
Also I wouldn't consider music study time, you have to make no effort of understanding it in order to enjoy it, so unless you're practicing how to sing them and looking at translations afterwards, you're not taking much out of them.

I'm not into German, these are the only tracks in my playlist, from favorite to least favorite:
Peter Fox - Alles Neu (rap);
Grossstadtgeflüster - Ich muss gar nichts (not sure, but very obscene);
Nena - 99 Luftballons (pop, 80s);
Die Aerzte - Junge (rock);
Rammstein - Du Hast (rock).

(JA), EN, FR, ES, DE, NL, FI, IT,PT, PL, RU, CN, VI, MS/ID, EL, SV

I can't distinguish Malay(MS) from Indonesian(ID).

talk to me in korean is a good resource from what i know
i know it's ridiculed, but the korean language learning subreddit is active from what i know
fufufu user, it's always a good time to start a language

pls

Selam, just learn more, speak more (if you're not shy) and read more.
You don't need a guide at this point to tell you *exactly* what you should be doing right?

Indonesian has lots of Dutch loanwords, while Malay has not.

sound shifts
you know how english orthography doesn't match up to the actual sounds?
russian is a slightly milder case of that

>i know it's ridiculed, but the korean language learning subreddit is active from what i know

The language learning sub and the specific language subreddits are usually good. Those have nothing to do with reddit and its toxic sjw culture in general.

If you want to learn a new language, Korean like that guy who replied to you, it's certainly worth to check the faq and subreddit
reddit.com/r/Korean/comments/rq3th/the_ultimate_beginners_resource_thread/

yeah
slightly off-topic, but have you noticed that r/europe has shaken off a lot of its leanings?
you see comments putting comments in a negative light
there's actual debate too
it's still staunchly pro-EU but oh well
i'm glad that the circlejerk was toned down a lot

No, I only visit subs catered to my hobby's.
Everything else is a waste of time.

you're right I think that would be the equivalent of "like"

So there's no way to know without looking it up?
Ie. Lenin is "leneen" or "lieneen"

well you can guess english words no?
as i said, it's a milder case
you can know if you memorise the sound rules
like unstressed o as a or final v as f or something
i don't speak russian tho so i can't help much

Yes, English. My first English class was in school twelve years ago or so. It just takes time. I don't have guidance because I was a kid when I learned the basics and I don't remember much, and then at an intermediate level all that I really needed to do was read books, talk with people, and look up finer points of grammar.

C1/C2 is common for us western/northern Europeans.

I think he meant other languages.

*in English I meant

Thank you

>twelve years
I wonder if it will take me 12 years to be fluent in Spanish

did duolingo remove its flashcard feature?

tinycards is up

Only if you keep at the pace regular people go, of accidental exposure and little proactivity.

If you are actively pursuing it, you can learn Spanish in 600 hours. Have you ever thought about learning a language under a year? Then put in 2 hours a day. Of course that applies only to easier languages.

What language shoukd I learn Sup Forums????

French Spanish or Italian?

Im thinking French or Italian. I prefer Italian but French is way more useful....

Arabic, Hindu or Urdu. It's the future of your country.

I'm gonna take Cambridge Proficiency later this year. Anything I should be aware of?

CPE is pretty much the "I'm the hot shit in English" certificate, right?

Learn French.
It will help you understand English better AND learning Italian after that would be easier, while the opposite doesn't quite work.