It's over

It's over

Sup Forums BTFO once again

in ten years this will be considered the greatest album of modern time that was criitically under received

based allmusic

It's not half as good as Pom Pom

fantano has yet to tell us if we should like it or not

I still don't understand how that site is still around. Does anyone read or care about them, even as a music database when RYM exists?

They exist so Wikipedia can have a 'reliable' source to use on their music articles

I for one would like to defend this amazing album. it's not "just another shitty synth-pop album" it's an album that pushes the boundaries of what an album can be. songs like Me and Michael and TSLAMP defy categorization, they push the boundaries of the industry's formulaic standards. one of the best examples of this is the fact that the album art is yellow! this album is a gem that just requires and open mind, and an appreciation for experimentation and a variety of genres. oh shit i forgot I was on Sup Forums for a sec

it's pretty fucking good

fuck the critics they never gave MGMT respect

I like allmusic. Their reviews are nice and short and only tells you what you need to know about the music. The song samples on each page are convenient and the related albums section is a good source for recommendations. Like anything else the ratings are hit and miss and sometimes don't even match the review but only autists care about ratings.

serious question: are you retarded?

this, it's to be expected that when MGMT finally release a perfect album critics would fumble to ignore its greatness

That review is such shit.
>other bands do this stuff better like Ariel Pink so therefore 3/5. I won't bother to name other bands that do this ""better"", you should already know
>It's not really weird but also not perfectly radio-friendly therefore bad

I dunno, I find the average RYM review is basically as informative as an allmusic blurb. Which is to say not very. Song samples are convenient but they're pretty inconsistent. Might as well just use yt and get access to the whole thing.

RYM's ratings give you a better sense of the general consensus considering it's not just 1 random guy's rating and usually includes at least 100 people. Also the ads are obnoxious.

rips in pieces

Y'all just don't want to admit hat it sucked

Remember when saying that you liked MGMT on Sup Forums would get you laughed at and called a pleb? Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

It's mediocre at best same with all of MGMT's other work. It needs to stop being shilled.

I read allmusic and always check it for new releases. Its probably my favorite music site.

They're being nice.

Critics never liked MGMT, pic related

the contrarians are still doing that because they got mad at the shitposting right when they were getting acclaimed

I for one would like to defend this amazing album. it's not "just another shitty psych pop/rock album" it's an album that pushes the boundaries of what an album can be. songs like flash delirium and someone's missing defy categorization, they push the boundaries of the industry's formulaic standards. one of the best examples of this is the fact that the album art isn't even square! this album is a gem that just requires and open mind, and an appreciation for experimentation and a variety of genres. oh shit i forgot I was on Sup Forums for a sec

>implying any other critics besides melonhead are relevant
It's getting at least a 7, and will become Sup Forumscore as a result

Dude, mentally ill much?

lol

>music critics

it's over

Yeah this one baffles me more than any other. It has basically the same score as GKMC and TPAB while being far below either.

>while being far below either.
This is confusing to read. I mean to say it's not nearly as good.

It's no Congratulations, but it's certainly better than their self-titled and I'd say at the very least on par with Oracular.
I know albums can't really be judged this way, but when you have a legitimate clunker on a 10 song album, your chances of it being considered a 9/10 or better are gone.
7-8 is the best you could hope for on this album critically speaking, and it being their 2nd or even 3rd best album isn't the worst thing in the world.

>playful, lush, sentimental, warm, quirky, sarcastic
rym users are such clowns

Does anyone not love the production style? It's very "dreamy" and "fuzzy". Lot of reverb I suppose. I preferred how crisp and studio-sounding their earlier work was.

Honestly the RYM descriptors aren't bad. They're accurate, even if they're stupid. Using words to describe music is almost impossible anyway. Things like lush, lurid, colorful, etc etc etc don't mean a fucking thing unless you've already heard the music being discussed.

>Honestly the RYM descriptors aren't bad
>They're accurate, even if they're stupid
>Using words to describe music is almost impossible anyway
You contradicted yourself in 3 sentences.
It's stupid.

No I didn't. Try reading the whole post
> unless you've already heard the music being discussed.
The descriptors mean something if you already heard the music. You can make the connection. It's frivolous as all hell, but it's fine.

It serves no purpose.

I agree.

>it's stupid, but it's fine

those are all magazines that rate by the amount they are paid.

I was using the word fine as in "alright, whatever" not fine as in "this is good". Any other clauses I need to defend while I'm here?

why'd you need to defend these? did you yourself write up some of these "descriptor" memes?

>why'd you need to defend these?
Didn't take very long, I don't mind.
> did you yourself write up some of these "descriptor" memes?
Nope. I called them "frivolous as all hell" and said they "don't mean a fucking thing unless you've already heard the music being discussed."

Anything else?

>Didn't take very long, I don't mind.
Even if it did, why?
>don't mean a fucking thing unless you've already heard the music being discussed
It doesn't mean anything even if you already heard the music being discussed. It's just random words.

>Even if it did, why?
Why are you replying to me and continuing this discussion? Why do we post on Sup Forums at all? What's the meaning of life? Are we there yet? What's for dinner mom?
>It doesn't mean anything even if you already heard the music being discussed. It's just random words.
Ok, sure. You wan't me to defend descriptors or something? Did debate class get cut early today and you just want to have a chit-chat?

>Did debate class get cut early today and you just want to have a chit-chat?
Hah, I'm not American, we don't have "debate class".
Anyway, you were the one who started the "debate". I'm just calling things by their name, rym users are clowns.

Ok

These are good scores, you retards. Not everything below 10 is shit.

listened to it and holy SHIT it was garbage

Eh, media scoring isn't like test scoring. Anything below an 8 for videogames, music, movies, etc is kind of mediocre. Anything below 7 is shit. It's not fair but it's how the reviewers do things.

pom pom isn't half as good as tyranny

Sounds about right, good but not great.
Is Sup Forums incapable of seeing between perfect and trash?

right on the money

The Pinkerton of this decade for sure

these scores will only make Sup Forums love it more

This

>there are 4000 albums which are better