Jazz & Blues

Can we have a Jazz & Blues thread??

Me,listening this awesome album, is about classic saloon songs in adapted to the orchestra pieces.

Other urls found in this thread:

open.spotify.com/album/1mFuFPBz9kBDdXylMNolu7
youtube.com/watch?v=O3hrVFvxTfk
youtube.com/watch?v=HS5EKEo6PRQ
youtube.com/watch?v=E3vYVGMgZYY
youtube.com/watch?v=Rs9EsiZoptM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Let's please have a jazz thread!

Haven't heard that one, must do. I'm listening to Wes Montgomery, Grant Green, John McLaughlin

I been listening to this a lot, as well as Kaoru Abe's free jazz stuff, which I think is staggeringly good. Always interested in solo sax recs

My favourite solo sax album (albeit I haven't heard many) is John Surman's On Reflection

oooh this is cool, reminds me of hte Portal 2 soundtrack desu

Would learning jazz theory increase my appreciation of jazz? The anons over at /classical/ are always talking about how a lot of the enjoyment comes from understanding the composer's craft.

Can anyone recommend me something similar to In a Silent Way?

Mwandishi

It's not the learning theory that would change your appreciate of jazz, but rather actually learning to play and experience playing jazz, and the critical listening skills that go along with that, that makes the difference.

It just so happens that a very solid understanding of theory is a prerequisite to playing jazz.

Im personally enjoying Kamasi Washington - Harmony of Difference right now.

open.spotify.com/album/1mFuFPBz9kBDdXylMNolu7

Do you know any good resources for learning the theory?

Any college Theory 1 textbook is fine or you can just google stuff and figure it out on your own.

Make sure you get some kind of a keyboard, even if it's just a cheap toy one so that you can play everything and hear how it sounds and see what it looks like on the piano.

youtube.com/watch?v=O3hrVFvxTfk

This fucking track. The main guitar riff is awesome and Otis Rush had a spectacular voice

why would you want to be a theoryfag and only be able to hear music as some math equation instead of listening to it as beautiful music and judging it yourself?

>only be able to hear music as some math equation
I don't think that's accurate user. I know some film theory, it hasn't ruined my enjoyment of movies.

>film theory

you're going to have to reply with some more substantial than an anime reaction image if you want to have discussion user

>Knowing music theory makes everything boring
I hate this meme.

meant for

kek. this is my favorite new meme of 2018. top-tier troll.

>anybody who actually enjoys music instead of turning it into a math equation must just be trolling
lol stay mad theoryfags. some of us actually enjoy music and want to keep it that way. don't you have some obscure scales to learn?

None of you faggots are discussing jazz and/or fucking blues. You're just discussing semantics and nothing of actual substance concerning the topic at hand. Fuck all of you.

Anyways, trying to keep this going because Sup Forums hasn't showed me a goddamn thing yet.

youtube.com/watch?v=HS5EKEo6PRQ

that's not semantics

What a quality post. You've really contributed to this discussion. KYS

That was great, thanks.

That's not what knowing artistic/musical theory is like.

it's really not semantics

First day on Sup Forums?

What are some good Wes Montgomery albums besides the big one?

Ok theoryfag

I made a Jazz Fusion/Jazz Funk backlog today. I'm gonna be starting on it tomorrow.
Would love to hear thoughts on it.

you left off the best jazz fusion album though

Why do we have to rope in blues with jazz? That would be like having a classical and polka thread.

Ellington is God. Currently binge listening through his catalog but there is so much excellent material that is honestly pretty damn overwhelming.

Does anyone else find his 20s-40s stuff more exciting than the later stuff, despite the sound being obviously better on later recordings?

the best music ever.

Done. Swapped the Hubbard album for it.

that art is fucking awesome

Matthew Shipp appears on 16 albums that were released last year. how many of them have you newfag, redditbois listened to eh?

>jazz is polka

the music is even better young man. unfortunately the album art for the entire 4 hours of material available, including a 1 hour long recording of my favorite things, has less cool album art.

>Matthew Shipp
gtfo with that gay jtg core

u fuckin what you little bitch? i knew all of duke ellingtons music when you were still in short pants, fuck off to your fuckin kamasi washington, ryo fukui, meme shit nip jazz.

>theory doesn't have to be difficult
>actually makes it more difficult than people initially intuited

youtube.com/watch?v=E3vYVGMgZYY

Thanks Vicky

Jimmy Giuffre needs more love in the jazz world. I love how much on an album like Freefall he'll change up his playing style so much based on the emotion or feel he's going for.

>people still falling for anti-theory guy's baits
Come on guys, at this point he's kinda easy to spot.
Blanton Webster is still his best imo, it's often considered his best by many in the jazz world, and that was all 40s. So yes.
I would hope that you have already listened to the usual stuff by Davis, Hancock, etc. if not they would obviously be worth including, too. I would suggest Don Cherry's Eternal Rhythm for a very different take on "fusion" than the rest of these guys and perhaps Ornette Coleman's Dancing In Your Head for one hell of a take on funk.
Being able to pick up on detail in the music will help more than just theory. Theory just helps give a formal, unanimously used word/definition for a certain musical happening.
Peep Abe's collab with Masayuki Takayanagi (Mass Projection.) It's fucking insane.

Nah dude, the later part actually really made it easy to understand in terms of what sharps/flats to play.

>theory is easy
>proceeds to give some fucked up explanation of fuckin keys
>is that all he thinks theory is

>i knew all of duke ellingtons music when you were still in short pants, fuck off to your fuckin kamasi washington, ryo fukui, meme shit nip jazz.
Ooh! it seems we have a REAL JAZZ FAN™ here.

Luckily there's a special thread just for you so that those of us who actually like discussing MUSIC can do it here.

this guy knows what the fuck is up!!!

>discuss music
okay what do you think of Matt Shipp then? you yellow-bellied shit eater.

Well it is stupid because the musical staff always was an arbitrary construct. Saying Dorian is not a key is bullshit. By the same logic Aeolian (minor) is not a key. Any theory based on staff notation can be safely ignored in 2018. There's no reason to learn the musical staff unless you want to analyze Pelleas et Melisande or something. Jazz musicians only need to understand the sounds, not what they look like on paper according to some archaic traditions.

>I would hope that you have already listened to the usual stuff by Davis, Hancock, etc.
I have, yes. Everything but 'Get Up With It' because I was exhausted when I got up to it since I was going through Chronologically. Thanks for the rec.

Gay 2deep4u overly complex REAL JAZZ FAN™-core

>/jazz/ is balkanizing even though its already the least populated general

try resolving a chord progression using only functional harmony to a Dorian tonic and see what happens you stupid sack of shit. it wont work.

you ever try talking about music without buzzwords? Not one part of your post had any content beyond feels and insecurity

so what do you listen to? RHCP isolated bass tracks and the sound of me fuggin ur down syndrom mum?

>so what do you listen to? RHCP isolated bass tracks and the sound of me fuggin ur down syndrom mum?
real mature. i thought you REAL JAZZ FANS™ were supposed to be all about the music? lol but you can't even carry on a simple debate without descending into middle school tier insults.

go be happy jerking off to how you can recognize a mixolidian chord in your special thread
>78048295

>functional harmony

That's where you fucked up. Functional harmony is also based on the same diatonicism of the common practice era. If you're telling me that you can't play a dorian chord progression that sounds like butter then I have to ask, are you retarded? And once again, even pieces ostensibly in aeolian utilize other minor scales to resolve the same "problem" you just referred to. If you want a system of musical analysis free of prejudices try set theory.

except that Hubbard album was one of the best on there too. you'd be better off switching it with one of the Weather report records

yeah but like the difference between modes and keys is that keys can be resolved with functional harmony and modal harmony is just voice leading that sounds nice but it cant resolve using sub dominant, dominant, tonic resolutions. im not arguing that functional harmony is better or cooler then modal harmony, im just saying that resolutions using functional harmony are what makes some thing a key vs. a mode. also i know bout set theory, i know alls this shit man.
well look who doesnt know how to use this website...>78048295...what the fuck were we talking about? oh yeah, nothing cause you still havent said shit about music that isnt memes4upvotes famalamadingdong.

BTFO

Give it a fucking listen already

>you'd be better off switching it with one of the Weather report records
Motherfucker they were the whole reason I started this backlog.

Any other stuff like this?

youtube.com/watch?v=Rs9EsiZoptM

Okay then, what about the scale C, D#, E, F, G, A, B, C? That has all the necessary elements for "functional harmony".

look how much meaningless outdated technical jargon I can spout! i definitely know which jazz is good and which jazz is bad

real talk m8- if you're not trolling then I think you have a legitimate chemical imbalance that you should get help with

I'm expanding my backlog to 40 albums.
Posting here soon.

Bumping again this is taking longer than expected.

There we go.
Completed. Finally

I listened to this today

I think my point still stands though. Minor is also modal harmony. Therefore any way you cut it twelve keys. Personally I think Barry Harris has some interesting thoughts on this

Clearly you are clueless about what Jazz is if you think the two don't have anything to do with eachother

ii7 V7b9 idim

ez

nevermind, half dim. b5 works but isnt dorian

you're using non-scale-tones

What exactly is wrong with Dorian ii-v-i?

Because some eggheads called it dysfunctional?