Unpopular opinion: at least half of the classic rock bands that are praised today sucked...

unpopular opinion: at least half of the classic rock bands that are praised today sucked. Guitar was always 12/10 til some whack vocals came in. The only reason they are so “iconic” is fanboys and girls that never grew out of it. Don’t get me wrong, classic rock is one of my favorite genres and I love certain bands so much. I just think so many bands that are praised aren’t even that good, and it’s offensive to the bands that actually are iconic.

I agree, OP. In fact, I'd argue that rock music in and of itself has lost its luster. To be honest, there's only so many ways to play some heavy, distorted lick and protrude to the world your inner "anger" using as much cryptic clichés as possible before it just gets all muddled and repetitive. That's the whole problem; rock in general has now exhausted its course.

it's an unpopular opinion but it's true. a lot of becoming popular way back when was just being pretty and having a really catchy song, regardless of how good it is. the nice thing about living in the present is that we can forget the worst parts of the past

samefags

Wrong

At least half of all artists that are praised in general suck. Classic rock is no exception.

> I'd argue that rock music in and of itself has lost its luster
You're right, largely because there hasn't been a great rock record in a few decades now. But rock still has reached artistic heights that the other popular genres (Hip-Hop, EDM) have yet to reach. So for that reason I will still listen to and defend rock music.

not an argument

White stripes made the last great rock albums.
Maybe along with the black keys (up until brothers)

The white stripes had more of a classic rock star image and a bigger following than the black keys when they were still making good music. So I'd say white stripes were the last great rock band

And even then they're not as good as a lot of bands from the "classic era" but definitely the end of the era. Or maybe the last breathes

Only contrarians will disagree

How was the first person I was replying to making an argument? Other than the one I disproved

I'm the guy you are responding to, and I disagree.

The White Stripes and Black Keys are, to me, completely dispensable in terms of the development of rock music. In other words, they didn't really do anything innovative to advance the genre. Not saying they are bad,
but they certainly made no "great" albums.

In my opinion, the last truly innovative and successful rock record was Loveless.

not an argument

Most, if not all, krautrock is shit. It's just glorified dadrock for avant-teens

ITT: ROCK DIED WHEN I STOPPED BEING A TEENAGER
NO ROCK WAS EVER ALLOWED TO BE MADE AFTER IT SO ITS DEAD, NO THAT ROCK ALBUM THAT JUST CAME OUT DOESNT COUNT BECAUSE IM NOT IN HIGH SCHOOL ANYMORE SO THERE

I think the commercial trappy sounding hip hop sound probably hit it's artistic peak with Good Kid Maad City. Those speedy hi hats and 808s behind an album as conceptually tight as GKMC probably won't be topped.
There aren't a great deal of hip hop artists who are exciting me at the moment, even stuff like Brockhampton (although creatively marketed) sounds pretty damn mediocre. If anyone can prove me wrong I'd like some recc's, haven't listened to any decent hip hop for a while

this is pasta. do not respond to pasta.

>this is pasta
so what? it's still right.

It isn't. It makes assertions, not arguments. It's useless.

lil uzi vert - "xo tour llif3"
rae sremmurd - "perplexing pegasus"
lil b - "still run it"
goldlink/shy glizzy/brent fayiaz - "crew"
tay-k - "the race"
kendrick - "dna"
playboi carti - "magnolia"
n.e.r.d - "lemon"

all from 2017. wasnt the best year desu except for the gigantic "xo tour llif3"

Well any rock bands who push the envelope and experiment with other sounds they cease to be rock bands unless they possess lots of the "classic" rock trademarks. That's how genres work for the most part. Unless they're assigned labels as broad as 'pop' (commercial mainstream music which is popular and apes whatever is fashionable) or 'hip-hop' (pretty much anything that features rapping) they will be associated with a specific set of sounds or musical concepts.
I always think of the fact that artists such as Pink Floyd were classed as progressive rock purely because they were experimenting outside of the boundaries of pop and rock at the time. Ironically nowadays prog rock seems not to actually be progressive in the literal sense, so much as music which features elements used by old prog rock bands

No, it's pretty accurate. After the rise of Nirvana, who heavily relied on melancholic, depressive ideas in their music, brought Alternative Rock to the mainstream, there was a noticeable difference in the attitude of Rock music. Genuine optimism faded in favor of sorrow, and the typical bravado you'd see in Glam Metal/Hard Rock was replaced with angst in Nu Metal, Post-Grunge and Emo.

Haven't listened to all of these, but the lyrics and song concepts seem so tired to me. Money, drugs and fancy cars are to modern hip hop what trains and unfaithful women are to the blues. There are exceptions of course, but for the most part it's the same old shit. Hopefully people will tire of it soon

Chulahoma, Magic Potion, Keep It Hid, are great.

Elephant, Consolers of the Lonely, Blunderbuss, are great.

>there hasn't been a great rock record in a few decades now.
do you even Voidz?

>There aren't a great deal of hip hop artists who are exciting me at the moment
Have you tried Lil Ugly Mane?

you're right. it's proof.

Rock is a production genre, it never grew writing wise, only ever failed attempts at grafting other things into the same rules.

>labeling anyone who might disagree with you a "contrarian"

26 posts, 15 posters i think you are onto something here friendo

>a lot of becoming popular way back when was just being pretty and having a really catchy song

how has this ever changed you literal retard

>Rock is a production genre

what the fuck drugs are you on

It's objective
The white stripes were the last of the "rock stars"

Do you have any specific examples?
I have no idea who this goober is but he's incorrect. Black Keys and White Stripes are soulless and uninteresting

How are they soulless?
If you don't like those bands you probably don't like rock.
Or at least classic rock.

That's more unique IPs to posts than the average thread.

Fuck you

A small part of me dies every time I hear a GNR song

(You)

Seven nation army and hardest button to button though.