Test your cinema knowledge:

What are some movies that were well received critically when they were originally released, but over time have had their positive reception dwindle?

birth of a nation

the graduate, as i understand.

Isn't that every decent old film according to Sup Forums and anyone who still enjoys them is a Redditor?

Pain and Gain

American Beauty is like the definition of a complete 180 in critical reception. Haven't seen it happen to such a degree since.

Triumph of the will

>"Test your cinema knowledge"
>tell me about the past and current overall critic opinion

yeah that's real cinema knowledge right there lmao

Shakespeare in Love

>Test your cinema knowledge
>ask about critics

why are you doing this?

Still has a lot of supporters.

this

That film is still regarded as a masterpiece. It pioneered many technolical aspecs of modern cinema.

Quite literally any of the Best Picture winners of the 1930s and 1920s.

ace ventura

>lmao
whats so fucking funny?

All Quiet on the Western Front, It Happened One Night, Mutiny on the Bounty, and Gone with the Wind are still fondly regarded but yeah most of the early Oscar winners

Feminists and numales have gone back and 180d anything that offended their "progressive" sensibilities. Including movies that were universally praised.

I do agree with that. I meant stuff like Cimarron. When was the last term you heard about that film?

the notion that knowing critics opinion is considered as "cinema knowledge"

Cimarron gets bashed for two reasons.

1. It is a very slow movie.
2. It is a racist movie.

Both of those are non-starters to critics. It doesn't help that it a genre film of a genre that had now almost a 100 years to improve the storytelling, and is of a genre that not well liked by critics unless it a deconstruction of that genre (westerns)

Deer Hunter