Chinese supercomputer is the world's fastest — and without using US chips

I thought China couldn't innovate. Looks like we're fucked.

>A Chinese supercomputer built using domestic chip technology has been declared the world's fastest. The news highlights China's recent advances in the creation of such systems, as well the country's waning reliance on US semiconductor technology.

>The Sunway TaihuLight takes the top spot from previous record-holder Tianhe-2 (also located in China), and more than triples the latter's speed. The new number one is capable of performing some 93 quadrillion calculations per second (otherwise known as petaflops) and is roughly five times more powerful than the speediest US system, which is now ranked third worldwide.

>The previous fastest supercomputer, China's Tianhe-2, was built using US-made Intel processors.

>[However, this time,] the TaihuLight is built from Chinese semiconductors. "It’s not based on an existing architecture. They built it themselves," Jack Dongarra, a professor at the University of Tennessee and creator of the measurement system used to rank the world's supercomputers, told Bloomberg. "This is a system that has Chinese processors."

archive.is/JV2Rt

Other urls found in this thread:

mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/china-explosion-mystery-foam-street-6279459
scmp.com/news/china/policies-politics/article/1860908/tianjin-warehouse-blasts-evidence-corruption-says
wsws.org/en/articles/2015/08/21/tian-a21.html
aurora.alcf.anl.gov/
bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-10-18/china-s-selling-tons-of-u-s-debt-americans-couldn-t-care-less-
next.ft.com/content/acd3f2fc-084a-11e6-876d-b823056b209b
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

So they stacked computers together and improved a already established concept?

Kek

>chinese technology
>mexican intelectuals
>polish space program
>russian kindness

The american cores are better though. If the Americans made one with the exact same amount if cores as the chink one it would be more powerful.

Yes but has anyone got stuck between the 2 Chinese computers yet

>mfw the "world's fastest computer" does nothing but scour the net and censor references to Tianenmen Square and run the Peking inner party's Minecraft server

We dismantled all our chip factories for fear of offending Steve Jobs. Even Intel chips are only made in Guadalajara now.

Why is this surprising to anyone?

>tfw you have to choose to support between americucks and chinks
>tfw you have to choose the lesser evil

Umm... USA USA USA USA

So they built it to make nuclear weapons, interesting. Americans used this computer to make the first nuclear weapons, but I guess after stealing technology and having the Teller-Ulam design handed over to them by the Russians (who stole it from Los Alamos) the Chinese still needed a few more processor cycles to figure out how to split and join the atom...

Like someone else mentioned, the newest processing cores in American supercomputers are more powerful. It's just a matter of having the power grid and infrastructure to build a supercomputer on par with this Chinese one. Theoretically, the American one would consume less power and space.

But it's worth mentioning that advances have made it possible for supercomputers and just regular home PCs to process data in parallel. If someone so desired, an indefinable number supercomputers and other devices just connected to the internet could be delegated to the same task, obviously outpacing whatever the Chinese have created here.

>China so strong
>China can into elevators and escalators
>You racist gwailo scum, how dare you dispute our claims about fastest supercomputer

>Elevators are easier to make than supercomputers
>Fuck that up
>Claim fastest supercomputer

>The West will fall before us, they're filthy inferiors
>Culturally more advanced than West

>No Chinese fleeing to West in mass numbers the moment they're given a chance

Just like how they 'innovated' their stealth, or jet technology

stop lying to yourself; it's been known that they steal our shit all the time. I wouldn't be shocked if the chip technology came from some sort of Intel prototype that was never used or something.

(((One post by this ID)))

And it's the same thread he's been spamming all day.

Russian kindness doesnt fit here because its real

>Culture with absoutely nonexistent EQ

sure vlad

You have no idea how complex a super computer really is do you? It is a huge challenge.

Are Chinese even real?

>Superior press releases compared to the West

And what exactly are they going to do with it?
Nothing that hasn't already been thats what.
China keeps doing these "accomplishments" as if the metric is important at all. If you build the fastest computer and then just do shit other countries having been doing for 10 years you really haven't accomplished much.

CHINA SUPERPOWER IN 2020

I'm sure we can trust the Chinese to report the performance of their computers as much as we can trust their test scores and academic papers.

I'm fucking ethnically Chinese, you tell me why I have an American flag instead of a ChiCom fuck.

>No food scandals at all
>No fake eggs
>No plastic rice
>No gutter oil

>Totally will back their own countrymen and not fuck them over in the blink of the eye over petty shit

I imagine your average rural rooskie is no different than those in America.

>Biosphere in China not totally destroyed
>China is still a prosperous country!
>Eat your food

AWWWW

WHITE BOY GOT

*KEKED*

China steals US technology by hacking

Well, it's got about 10 million cores. Maybe as a reference, most universities that have an HPC, can utilise something like a few thousand - at best a few tens of thousands. The cluster at JPL has about 250k if I remember correctly.

Supercomputers aren't really novel, each of the nodes is probably a weaker computer than most people use for gaming (apart from RAM and high-speed HDs maybe). It's when you hook up tens of thousands of them (or in this case millions) that interfacing them becomes a challenge.

Doing all of that without established know-how, even if it is imitating the state-of-the-art, is quite an impressive feat. Very typical of Chinese science mentality. Not afraid to fail the first couple of times, when at the 6th time, you manage to beat everyone else.

>No massive internal debt problem that's being disguised
>China will economically exterminate all inferior races and cultures on Earth like Korea, Japan, Russia, America.

They are using them to sequence the human genome.

China isnt full of pussys and will do GMO babys

I just.. I don't understand how one country can be so fucked up and even exist. It's like a saturday morning cartoon of absurdity.

Like how is it even possible to get away with making a bridge out of styrofoam and then coating it with cement and calling it a day. How can you have so little basic human compassion to do such a thing and risk hundreds of lives just because you're lazy?

>(((One post by this ID)))
>And it's the same thread he's been spamming all day.
I literally just got on Sup Forums before I made the thread. Your obnoxious shitposting is the reason I spend more time on Sup Forums.

>china steals shit from US
>LOOK GUIZ THEY R SO SMRT AMERKA BTFO

Maybe, maybe not. Until you build one we do not know.
Supercomputers are more than stacking cores together. Interconnection speeds can make or break these.

Human genome has already been sequenced jackass. This shit was big in the past and it was done by THE WEST, YET AGAIN.

That's ignoring how most of China is still in fucking third world poverty at levels even Africa can't compete on because the ChiComs and their cronies have pocketed all the money and they're fucking fleeing here to fuck our real estate markets up all while trying to invade local government to bring their flavor of nepotistic shit over.

almost had me there for a second

Superior Chinese technology (tm)

ITT yankees in damage control
Stealth was originally Russian idea. Jet engine was German.

>Lazy

It's capitalism Amerifat, I thought you'd recognise it.

What does it do

Clearly you are a dumas.

What is bus speed? What is Internet latency?

>I thought China couldn't innovate.

They can't. But they can have Chinese students travel to the USA, work on gov't funded programs, and steal the sensitive information for their universities. I've seen it in the news a number of times. Even Apple had to deal with it because Samsung stole a lot of tech to build the Android.

>chinese innovation
Hong Kong tech does not count

Communism. The Nationalists aren't that much better in Taiwan but at you're not dealing with total communist shit. Read about the oil cans being used to substitute rebar in apartments for Taiwan if you want to shit on them too.

South Korea and Japan also suffer from the same cultural flaws (Face, doubling down on ignoring problems, more saving face) but they're significantly better off with a tiny percentage of Western culture in them (Mostly for Japan. South Korea has a lot of problems still;.)

>Jet engine was German.

NASA uses metric.

>How can something that claims to be so superior be so inferior?

I wouldn't expect a bongistani to actually know what capitalism is.

t. Tibetan/Uyghur/Hong Konger/Taiwanese/Singaporean/Macaunese

Historically they used American Customary System. They started the conversion to Metric in the 80s. Moon era would still qualify as American Customary.

Not even quantum computer.
Lol China is a 3rd world country.

They literally stole the KNL chip design. The stats are the exact same as the KNL...

cute

Fuck chinese elevators, seriously.

They didn't use metric until 2007.

Southern Chinese, jackass.

Here, lets go over your list:
1. Fuck em
2. Ran over people with SUVs while throwing explosive devices before VBIEDing
3. Cucked real estate
4. Diplomatically nonrelevant
5. Utterly cucked by migrant workers, BIRTHRATE BELOW REPLACEMENT LOL
6. Literally matters how?

>Not surrendering to Asian overlord
You pushed ous to the wrong side back them Argentina. Not this time.
GLORITY TO THE HAN BLOOD

Do you have the webm of all the chinese people that are terrified of escalators and hold test the landing before stepping off the stairs?

>take existing fastest car
>reverse engineer it
>rebuild same car with a few bottle rockets strapped to trunk lid
>light when you hit top speed
>omg me fastest nau will you look at that

My bus is slow. It always stops for old people

And now China is taking that knowledge and doing something with it while we are sitting on our hands because of muh ethics. You're just jelly because you realize that your time as first world country has passed.

Would be unfortunate...

If the city the computer is located in...

Suffered a cataclysmic explosion...

Purely accidentally...

A financial challenge because you also need the power plant next to it. That's it.

All chips, interconnects, racks, ... Are available to use. You create or tweak existing designs, run the number to ensure the stats are what you want. You roll a RHEL or Centos or your hype linux distro on the node. You get the drivers running and do your network admin job to address all of that shit. You use slurm or any other existing batch scheduler and that's basically it. You can submit jobs to the batch scheduler and get your sweet nice PFlop/s out of it.

Don't think I have the escalator videos but am I fucking reminded of that little e-stop button next to them in malls now.

What? They just walk in?
>builds fastest computer
>doesn't know to not go in empty elevator shaft

mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/china-explosion-mystery-foam-street-6279459
scmp.com/news/china/policies-politics/article/1860908/tianjin-warehouse-blasts-evidence-corruption-says
wsws.org/en/articles/2015/08/21/tian-a21.html

You have to go back to Beijing and take a deep breath without a mask. Enjoy the lung cancer.

Well, now everyone knows we're subhuman if they didn't already. Mission accomplished I guess.

>be Chinese
>wake up for work
>elevator is shut down cause it cut someone in half
>use stairs instead
>can't use car because the garage collapsed on it
>barely avoid getting swallowed by a sidewalk sinkhole
>narrowly dodge a car that rolls over a 4 year old child
>finally make it to train station
>escalator eats the guy in front of me
>10 people are trampled to death trying to get on train
>train derails killing hundreds
>crawl out of rubble and stumble to work
>clock in at the oil refinery and light a cigarette
>resulting explosion vaporizes 4 city blocks

Also, friendly reminder that the US (Argonne) will run a very similar computer soon. In fact, they announced it before the Chinks if I recall but the chinks work fast especially if it allows them a top spot for a few months.

aurora.alcf.anl.gov/

This should outperform by 1/3rd or so this Chinese computer. They pick very similar processors (KNL, what the chinese likely stole for that computer) and a bit more nodes...

So.... what is a supercomputer like this good for anyway?

Fucking hell. Just having 1% of this shit for a while would make my work soo much easier. I could process my stuff on a weekend whereas on our cluster it takes 2 months. Goddamn small budgets.

The only people who don't realize we're subhuman our own kind. They're the stupid Chinese """"Patriots"""" that instinctively defend the Commies fucking them over. If they fucking even realized how systematically fucked over they were and tried to correct it then we wouldn't be seeing any of this bullshit would we?

Fucking communists killed more Chinese than the Japan and yet still harp on the Japanese while pretending that the commies did nothing but stand by and wait until the nationalists were weak to pounce on them. After that Mao went to fucking thank Japan and proceeded to exterminate more Chinese with his fucking failures.

Copypasta:
>I don't hate myself, but as a first generation American from a Chinese immigrant mother, and multiple trips back to Guangzhou - it's easy to see that the Chinese people today; are not the same people who invented paper, gunpowder, and the compass. Now they are some kind of bastardized Huns, who propagate the remnants of a long-dead culture with a half-assed mindset.

>Face it, "our" culture hasn't been great since the likes of Zhuge Liang or the introduction of Confucius (which the Chinese greatly disrespect today, by falsely promoting a Harmonious Society; which is anything but). The only thing that is left of true Chinese culture is probably the cooking, the written history, and the imagery that reflects it so. As much as I hate the Japanese, they've done a much more fantastic job in retaining their identity. The Chinese today, are the type of people that would sell out their own countryman for the new Mercedes Benz.

>be USA
>have to pay 25% of our debt to the chinese
>get ruined

This isn't innovation. So they made a new CPU architecture with refinements, wow.

>check flag

Just as I thought, you gooks cannot and will not ever be able to be creative or artistic, you're a drone race of number-crunchers, iPhone assemblers and nothing more.

I wonder how much Israel sold them our technology for

>a country that won't have any clean water left by 2030

MUH SUPERCOMPUTER MUH TECHNOROGY

Who gives a shit

/thread

Doing nuclear simulations. Doing ballistic missile reentry simulations. Computing object radar signatures and related simulations. This is mostly military. Additionally, there is a wide range of civil use such as cancer personalized treatment (unlikely), blood flow/heart simulation (see Riken's work on the subject), cosmic object interactions (e.g. Dark Energy projects, full universe simulation), ...

I'll add China is not known at all in this field in terms of publication. They seem very much behind. But we don't have access to their military (nor civilian) codes so who knows.

Do you think China would be better if the Nationalists won and Mao lost? Democracy doesn't work as well in overpopulated third world countries as it does in the west, for example look at India. Communism is just efficient, it gets shit done.

>Be France
>Pull completely false data out of your ass

The bitcoin swarm is faster than all other super computers combined, times 250.

It isn't doing nothing, it is probably siiting there decrypting all the data they are constantly being allowed to steal. Also before anyone replies with "typical chinks, all they can do is stea" who is the bigger loser in that situation? The people stealing or the people who can't protect their data, the west spends billions designing shit and the chinese get it for free, if anything them simply working on cyber warfare is a much more successful idea.

There are generally two classes of problems:

a) a complex problem which needs lots of cpu power to obtain a single result (think high-resolution fluid dynamics, molecular dynamics on large grids, climate simulations on fine grids)

b) a somewhat simple problem which is quick enough to process, but unfortunately needs to be done for millions and millions of datasets/parameter combinations/.. (think multi-year satellite measurements with several tens of millions of scenes, big-ass neural networks - classification problems, genetic sequencing..)

This shit would take you several lifetimes if you had only a handful of processors to do the job.

bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-10-18/china-s-selling-tons-of-u-s-debt-americans-couldn-t-care-less-
vs
next.ft.com/content/acd3f2fc-084a-11e6-876d-b823056b209b

>DEBT CRISIS
>SAVE FACE
>SAVE FACE
>SAVE FACE
>SAVE FACE
>FACE
>FACE
>FACE
>SAVE FACE
>SAVE FACE
>DOUBLE DOWN ON OWN PROBLEMS
>GO INTO FULL DENIAL
>CHINA STRONK, CRUSH WESTERN WIDE EYED DEVIL AND FILTHY RACE TRAITORS WHO THINK WE ARE FUCKING UP

Here's your 0.50RMB ($0.07)

>this one americuck spamming the thread with anti-china sentiment because he has some sort of inferiority complex when it comes to china

Yeah. Europe is really behind in terms of computing power and this sucks a lot. We have good sized clusters at work for testing purpose with all the new shit but for production it's mostly the TGCC or local centers and they're either outdated or overused or you get to little quota anyway.

It's better to be in the USA and have access to one of the big three (soon four with Argonne).