Musics new golden age

Music is reaching a new golden age. I feel after the emergence of artists such as Tame Impala, Maps and Altleses, Lil Peep, Death grips, Blank Banshee and many more really experimental musicians, people are shifting in tastes. And I predict a major shift in style and genre in the coming years. What do you think Sup Forums

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DvMBxlu62c0
youtube.com/watch?v=bVl2_MSwmSA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

the internet killed music

i disagree on the basis that you're wrong

bump
Keep getting into weird shit like XXXtentaction that I feel is kinda trash but hints at a major shift in music in general

Mainstream and pop music has never been as unvariated as it is now.
There's studies about it, it's scientific, not making it up.
I predict it'll only get more and more streamlined/homogenic as time goes on.
Music is dying, but at least old records will always be there.

big miss

dubs of truth

Not even normies stick to top40 these days

>really experimental
lol no

Missed the point big time dude
Mainstream shit has always been shit
OP is talking about the underground

Underground was also heavily homogenized now.
Soundcloud rap is experimental? really

Here's the thing. Stop thinking about "mainstream" and "underground". That's a thing of the past.
The matter of the question now is whether a song gets viral or not. Doesn't matter where it comes from.
Honestly, mainstream and underground never sounded so similar as today. There's barely any meaning behind the distinction, artistically or musically.

nothing OP named is underground

golden age of what? everything's old hat and has been since the late 60's. that being said, i like some newer stuff now and then but none of it is remotely innovative.

lolno faggot

the only albums like that were blond and damn anyways. Indie music is absolute fucking garbage trash these days, theirs a reason why websited like p4k are starting to shill rap and pop music.

>everything's old hat and has been since the late 60's.
LMAO rock fans

>Mainstream shit has always been shit
Millennial revisionism.

>OP is talking about the underground
Millions of views on youtube and thousand of downloads on bandcamp isn't underground, friend.

OP here, not talking about mainstream or underground nor am I arguing over which genre is better. Think of it like the late 40s threw the early 70s with tons of music only a fraction of it good, all eventually leading to the explosion which was Rock and Roll lasting from then arguably all the way to modern day. Just a preditions maybe music will just shit its self. Who knows

there's definitely some shift going on but things that call themselves "different" is what isnt (modern alt pop)

spoken like a true grossly ignorant child with no understanding of history and completely unable to form anything resembling a counterargument

>Honestly, mainstream and underground never sounded so similar as today. There's barely any meaning behind the distinction, artistically or musically.
yeah no not really, you're as dumb as OP

yeah you didn't make a worthwhile argument either

There's nothing really new yet. Everything you hear nowadays has already been done.
All the extreme experimental metal you can find has already been done. All the harsh noise you can think of has already been done. All sort of rap and hip hop tracks have already been produced.
We're at a point where we, as a civilization, are running out of fresh things, and we're cannibalizing old stuff, like vaporwave just being slow tempo'd versions of 80s and 90s music, or trap being a slightly different hip hop.
People are trying to stick to sub-genres in an attempt to assure themselves that new, unique music can still be made, but new "genres" and novelty music only falls harder (and faster) than before due to that desperate need of people to have new unique music.
But I digress.
Music really hasn't reached the next stage yet. All sort of "experimental" music you listen to nowadays are just derivatives of electronic music (which existed since the 60s, although really exploded in the 80s), rock and jazz.
Everything you like is derivative of those 3 genres and types of music.
Oh and yes, Noise has also had its golden age in the 80s already.
We're witnessing the downfall of our civilization. The decadence of Rome in modern times. But the fall is so slow that it's not really fun to watch, so many people just try to embrace the decadence.

this is thoroughly silly

Nice argument.

yeah I'm not going to try to pick apart and refute what amounts to retarded gibberish

What about my posts made you upset? Genuinely curious. I don't think I've said anything remotely offensive.
Are you angry about the fact the music you think is unique and "weirddddd experimentalll" is just a cannibalized version of something that already existed before?

Tell me how hip-hop, IDM and similar were already done in the late 60s.

stockhausen, kid baltan, the list goes on

nonsense doesn't make me upset

everything has always been based on prior ideas
the fact that the extremes have been mapped out doesn't mean there's nowhere to go
genres only group together people who do recognizably similar stuff, they're not ultimately important or relevant to "innovation"
also downfall of civilization, you're straight up retarded as shit

Not him but soundsystems have been a thing since the 50s.
Also people like Carlos, Tomita and Perrey.
Not exactly IDM or hip hop by definition, but you can trace back many elements that define IDM and hip hop back to these electronic producers and disc jockey pioneers.

those really, really don't sound like hip hop or IDM

>Not exactly IDM or hip hop by definition, but you can trace back many elements that define IDM and hip hop back to these electronic producers and disc jockey pioneers.
in what sense does this support the idea that everything has been done since the 60s?

mmmhmm

youtube.com/watch?v=DvMBxlu62c0
youtube.com/watch?v=bVl2_MSwmSA

>everything has always been based on prior ideas
Sure, but you can't deny how revolutionary jazz, rock/blues and electronic music were for our civilization.
Of course there's soom to experiment and I guess "innovate" within these types of music, but the way new sub-genres are born suddenly and dying prematurely isn't normal.
Maybe it's not the problem with the artists themselves, but with what the audience and people in general really want.
If you ask me, I think there's still a lot of interesting music acts going on today, but this is not about my personal taste, it's about what OP is asking, if music is going to enter a "new phase", and I don't think that's happening, especially not with the artists OP mentioned.
>retarded as shit
Okay, nice ad hominem, but that's not an argument.
Maybe try reading some history books? Civilizations don't last forever, you know.

the basis for those genres were well laid out by pioneering works from the likes of Silver Apples, Morton Subotnick, Pauline Oliveros et al. it just took others a few years to catch up and dumb it down for mass consumption

I'm aware of those, they don't sound like hip hop or IDM. Also the existence of something vaguely resembling a precedent (always identified well after the fact, as in 12 ragas to a disco beat) doesn't mean you can trace a line of influence. It means pretty much nothing. If you found someone who wrote Krautrock in 1890, it wouldn't mean in any meaningful way that he invented it.

replace fall of civilization with fall of western, as in capitalist, society and then you're basically correct

Not the 60s maybe, but by the end of the 80s, there was barely anything else to do.

>capitalism-communism dichotomy
This civilization is burning down, and that includes both capitalism and communism.
This era of mandkind is coming to a closure.
Don't worry though, most likely we won't really notice it, other than culture getting more and more devoid of substance over the years, but probably (hopefully) shit won't hit the fan until the next century.

everyone in this thread should read mark fisher and nick land

>Sure, but you can't deny how revolutionary jazz, rock/blues and electronic music were for our civilization.
Over the course of many years, sure. But for the most part it developed slowly and incrementally. You're not going to see that happen in real time and identify a revolution.

>but the way new sub-genres are born suddenly and dying prematurely isn't normal.
What the fuck is "normal" supposed to mean? Fads aren't new.

>if music is going to enter a "new phase", and I don't think that's happening, especially not with the artists OP mentioned.
whatever "new phase" is supposed to mean...

>Okay, nice ad hominem, but that's not an argument.
Thanks for pointing out the obvious
>Maybe try reading some history books? Civilizations don't last forever, you know.
oh yeah that totally backed up your not at all stupid and unsupported claim, I'm super convinced now

...except recent hip hop and IDM still don't sound like anything that existed in the 80s?

lol no

The tr808 drums in trap are more 80's revival than actual 80's revival.

>What the fuck is "normal" supposed to mean? Fads aren't new.
Hair metal and disco were fads. But they lasted a whole decade.
How many little fads we've had just in this decade alone? I can't even count them, and most only last a whole year, if that.
Just look at how many "post-" genres we're getting.
>oh yeah that totally backed up your not at all stupid and unsupported claim, I'm super convinced now
Well, you're not convincing me otherwise, mr. "Everything is just fine".

btw "revivals" are another indication that contemporary culture has reached a dead end and is now skipping like a broken record

fucking twelve year olds in here
Experimental music was generally more mainstream in the late 60s to around the early 70s because label owners had no idea what they were putting out, as they had no idea what the kids liked. No one you've listed there outside of Death Grips did anything new, and they did so by combining a multitude of pre-existing electronic music forms in a very creative sort of way. Blank Banshee is the only other one you could argue for there, but his music isn't particularly, "experimental," in nature. Soundcloud rappers truly need to fuck off too. So long as they're popular, seeing that they're the new nu metal, music isn't going to be advancing in any way, shape, or form. Don't give me the, "nu-metal was experimental," shit, because, while it could be argued that it was back in 1994, by the time it reached its peak in popularity, it was a tried and true formula that nearly any band could do and profit from.

>Experimental music was generally more mainstream in the late 60s to around the early 70s
stopped reading there

filtering the word "experimental" filters 90% the pretentious pseuds browsing this forum

>No one you've listed there outside of Death Grips did anything new, and they did so by combining a multitude of pre-existing electronic music forms in a very creative sort of way.
Dude what are you even arguing? So many other people have done what death grips have done: it comes down to the way death grips has done it.

Agreed it’s not really the music it’s what’s behind the music and what the music means that makes it unique