Okay so since Sup Forums is going full on autism mode over a stupid jpop song and in which beat it is...

Okay so since Sup Forums is going full on autism mode over a stupid jpop song and in which beat it is, is this 6/8 or 3/4?

youtube.com/watch?v=LuSh4-cbAOc

3/4

weeb/10

3/4, if it were 6/8 you would feel the 'pulse' of the 6 shorter beats

3/4
also stop with the weeb music.

Also this song's kind of shitty, I thought Utada was supposed to be better than that.

6/8

she only has what, one, two good songs?

I expect there to be a faster paced remix of this like with the other songs she did for KH, so who knows. Maybe the eventual remix will be much more better, also

>judging a literal demo

3/4

I'm from the Sup Forums thread. I posted these two examples to prove it's in 3/4 and they've sperged for hours without actually providing any example of how I'm wrong.

looking at the thread, at least one person posted a counter example of why it's not in 3/4

Well they posted the drum beat, but then I asked them to post how the rest of the parts would look around that drum beat.

My argument is that regardless of how the drum beat "works," to write it in 6/8 absolutely destroys every other part. The only way every part works together is in 3/4.

It's not a jazz waltz

Well then I'll ask you:

top or bottom here? Because I'll be honest, the bottom is fucking jank as fuck and would not pass in any arrangement.

granted I guess there'll eventually be a sheet music book of Kingdom Hearts songs to definitely prove one or the other but like come on dude

3/4

Both seem wrong to me
t. music major

>gets angry about "weeb" music on Sup Forums
>doesn't mind the incessant kpop threads on page 0
classic Sup Forums

>No, only retards virgins learn music, chads make music by ear because they are to busy fucking bitches to bother learning to read or write music. Chads also use Fruity Loops or other such software.

I'm a music graduate. I mean you can never be 1:1 in pop and in reality it's not in either time sig it's "In 3" for pop lingo. But 3/4's the only way it'd work out in notated form.

Actually 6/8 is closer but I wouldn't write it in 6/8 either. It's more like 6/4.

weebs are bigger outcasts, at least kpop dorks are just following some popular trend in music

From what I've learned, you would notate in 3/4 to make reading easier on the musicians. If I had to guess, this song was probably conceived on Logic or some DAW in 6/8 just cuz that's what the majority of the pop producers do.

Yeah, I agree. 3/4 for the musicians and therefore ultimately a song in 3/4.
Though yes I also agree that the DAW likely was set to 6/8.

So you give people who listen to "popular trends in music" a free pass, even if they don't talk about music?
Think about it, you're giving a free pass to Kpop threads, which aren't about music. These guys never, ever discuss music. Ever.
This thread, as shitty as may be (I hate Kingdom Hearts), is still about music and is asking a question regarding music.
So, what is it, user? Why do you give the offtopic guys a free pass?

Time signatures as a static realty is a gigantic first year music theory meme. If you notate it and play around with the tempo enough, anything can be in any time signature.

That said, I'm guessing this is in 4/4 and it's just 4 triplets with a rest on the third note. The pulse is 100% 4/4 tho, 3/4 people are memeing hard

Sorry, last part I meant in quadruple meter, not 4/4. It could be like 12/8 or something.

lmao wait it's not even that, she's just using a ton of dotted eighths and shit to mix up the rhythm. It's 100% in 4/4 to, you guys are memes.

To everyone in this thread, there is a difference between 3/4 and 6/8 - the pulse.
3/4 is three crotchets grouped together. They have the pulse "Strong, weak, weak".
6/8 is two sets of three quavers. Each set is pulsed "Strong weak weak", so a full bar of 6/8 is pulsed "S W W S W W"
Also, the offbeat of every beat is weaker than a "WEAK" pulse.
The song is played so the first note is at the start of the bar and the second is in the middle. If the song was in 3/4, the second note will fall on the offbeat of the second beat, which means it's a less accented note than the first note, which is what we hear.
If the song was in 6/8, the second note would fall on the 4th quaver of the bar, which is a STRONG pulse, same as the first note. If the song was in 6/8, the second note would have the same emphasis as the first note, which doesn't happen. So the song is in 3/4.
If you didn't get that, consider this - Can you distinguish the start of each bar/measure? If you're counting "ONE two three ONE two three" or "ONE 2 3 4 5 6 ONE 2 3 4 5 6", then you're counting in 3/4 (or subdividing the beats). If you hear the song and count "ONE two three FOUR five six" saying FOUR with as much conviction as ONE, you're counting wrong.

Thanks for telling me how rhythm works senpai, im sure you feel you did good.