Has there ever been a harder pair of albums to decide between...

Has there ever been a harder pair of albums to decide between? My mind helplessly oscillates while attempting to rank them.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_xFc86tzFG4
youtube.com/watch?v=SzmruWRSNUY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

RTL > MoP

>Has there ever been a harder pair of albums to decide between?
user, you can listen to both and really, there is no one forcing you to rate them.

Yes, Show no Mercy and Hell Awaits. Peace Sells and Rust in Peace. Master of Puppets sucks for the most part.

Well, that's usually my attitude with music, because a lot of my fav artists I can't really rank the output of. Especially Cocteau Twins or Zeppelin.

I guess with Metallica it just obviously comes down to these two albums that something in me asks which the ultimate Metallica album was, but that's impossible.

>Show no Mercy and Hell Awaits
Show No Mercy is extremely inconsistent and has weak production
>Peace Sells and Rust in Peace
Fair
>Master of Puppets sucks for the most part.
t. contrarian

I love Slayer and Megadeth, but Metallica have these really glorious Iron Maiden-y passages that put them at the top for me.

Zeppelin I and II are pretty hard to rank but I think I'd have to give the edge to II for Ramble On alone.

/thread

II may be an ultimate for me because of the riffs (top riff album ever - EVER). But then there are some of the really mystical, LOTR moments in other albums - and other great riffs - and just sheer perfection - that puts those up there for me too.

The reason Metallica started to suck on Master of Puppets is because they started to cut out that awesome NWOBHM sense of melody for plain chugging.

Rust in Peace > RTL > MOP

>top riff album ever
While I do prefer Zeppelin to Sabbath, I would have to give that honor to this. Supernaut is still the best guitar riff ever, Tony Iommi in general was a riff god.
youtube.com/watch?v=_xFc86tzFG4

it really doesnt matter, either way you choose youll be listening to megadeth.

That's what puts all the way lesser thrash bands much lower too, they just chug generically. No character or melody. Slayer even at least have a certain character even if they're more thrashy.

Sabbath did cross my mind as I wrote that. Was just watching an old 70s performance by Sabbath on youtube earlier and was blown away by the inspiredness of their rifs.

This.

*riffs

Is it generally known that Mustaine was the one to really conceive of thrash, albeit while with Metallica?

He even wrote the best track on Ride the Lightning which would later be used for one of the best tracks on Rust in Peace, madman.

I dont know about generally, but it is commonly know metallica used what dave created before they cut him. Dave did pioneer thrash, and i frankly dont see why megadeth gets so much hate compared to metallica when meg is the better band in almost every aspect.

I do really like Metallica but I never understood why they were the only thrash band to get any sort of mainstream recognition when Peace Sells and Rust In Peace are as good as they are.

call me a pleb if you want but mustaine's voice ruins megadeth for me

I feel like Metallica have much stronger melodies, and melodic passages, which really is quite a strong asset that puts you higher in the popular sweepstakes

t. only listened to the Rust In Peace remaster

>Is it generally known that Mustaine was the one to really conceive of thrash, albeit while with Metallica?
Hit the Lights and Motorbreath was written before Mustaine was even in the band, and that doesn't even touch on Venom's thrash material.

my stoner friend made me listen to RiP, Peace Sells and Killing is my Business and I just cant get into it.

Do you like other thrash metal?

I can stand it enough to enjoy Megadeth but sometimes it makes me cringe.

My favorite moments in Metallica are those instrumental moments a third of the way through, usually composed passages, likely right before the last solo comes in. Like in Master of Puppets or Welcome Home. Immensely cathartic.

I also have to say I really appreciate that thing Lars usually does in those moments when - mid riff - he switches the beat to half time and then back to doubletime. Adds this crazy level of intensity to the moment.

I can see why they were the popular ones in the end, Megadeth had more focus on lead and while not shakesperian, deeper lyrics.
as said, Metallica focused more on rhythm and not too deep vocals, which is more palatable to the masses. Another thing that ive heard puts people off from megadeth, is daves singing. i can see that but i personally like his style, it gives his music character. But at the end of the day i do like and listen to both.

Yeah I enjoy thrash and I can appreciate that Mustaine is a talented guy but his voice just doesn't hit my ears right.

I just take a bit of silliness or juvenalia as a given part of metal and it doesn't bother me. After all it really corresponds to the aggressive young man in you. It's not particularly supposed to be mature or measured or tasteful. Like an innate property to that mode is that one will act out with a hubris that will make them cringe later in life, but they'll never feel things as strongly as they did at that earlier age.

Fair enough, I can say that the remastered vocals he did for the Rust In Peace reissue are genuinely bad but I do really like the original recording's sound.

It's not that it's juvenile or anything, it's just that some of the high notes Dave hits are like nails on a chalkboard.

Well that's an easy choice (the former).

Is this a joke? Dopesmoker, all the way.

meant to say 2/3s of he way through

Were Anthrax really that mediocre?

>the best rock album of this generation vs dude weeeeeeedd lmaoo
fuck outta here

I've come to finally appreciate their 'party dude thrash' thing, but they're not even close to on the level of the other big 3

They are mediocre, appreciatable, but mediocre. Ive started digging their later stuff though around Vol 8.

I almost think they're rated with the others just as a token vote to represent the NY scene.

Or I should say the general East Coast scene.

>I also have to say I really appreciate that thing Lars usually does in those moments when - mid riff - he switches the beat to half time and then back to doubletime. Adds this crazy level of intensity to the moment.
This. He may suck live now but people that think he was just always sloppy because he liked to syncopate heavily are just musically illiterate.

Yep. Exodus were really the proper #4 but they got fucked with bad label deals and drug abuse/instability in the band.

I can see that, as the big 4 has a little something for everyone, but, sadly anthrax just cant hold a candle to the others.

I've listened to Among the Living and Spreading the Disease and thought they were solid albums but nowhere the league of RtL, RiP or RiB. Anything else of theirs worth checking out?

I would rank from best to worst the order you have them left to right, TH is pretty overrated.

At their best Metallica were just monstrously good.

If I were to have a top 5 metal acts it would be

Black Sabbath
Metallica
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest

...and then it gets a little more contested. I want to put Dio in that hall of fame but part of me actually thinks Slayer belongs up there, almost.

State of euphoria, persistence of time, fistfull of metal, and if their whole party dude thrash isnt your thing check out Vol8. out of their albums id recommend persistence the hardest though.

you're right, nonagon IS way better

B-B-BACK IN THE FRONT

but they're the same fucking thing

am idort fren what is RtL RiP an RiB

Rank 'em.

BS, Master, Paranoid

RtL = Ride the Lightning (Metallica)
RiP = Rust in Peace (Megadeth)
RiB = Reign in Blood (Slayer)

Who would be the quintessential 'party dude' / 'party metal' bands?

Like 'Bill & Ted / skaters doing air guitar' metal?

Van Halen
Anthrax
Suicidal Tendencies
Nuclear Assault
KISS
Municipal Waste
S.O.D.

I guess Zeppelin and Aerosmith would loosely count too? And most (all) hair metal?

thenk

>paranoid
>masters
>bs

That's cliff who does the instrumentals RIP

Fuck I don't know. Will have to give that some real consideration. That's on par with ranking Zeppelin's best.

Zeppelin aren't really metal, almost a third of their catalogue is folk or folk influenced. III and disc 2 of PG are almost entirely folk.

You hit the nail on the head with your list all ready user, i feel like gwar should be on there but im not entirely sure though, definatly every hair and glam band.

Really? Damn that's sad. Those parts are straight up beautiful.

I consider them a part of that gradated transition into metal (not wholly, as you describe, but in their heavier side), and as elemental to the somewhat since-forgotten lineage of 'party / sexy' metal, which kind of gets ignored since after the 80s. Definitely more a hard rock thing but I think it had a big role in a lot of 80s metal.

I've recently been re-remembering how great Suicidal Tendencies are. ESPECIALLY when they go metal.

This meant to be in response to this

>I JUST WANTED A PEPSI

Ive recently started to dive into S.O.D. but besides meme pepsi song, i havent really checked out Suicidal Tendencies. Its just always that band that i sort of gloss over.

That's true but I'd say Sabbath had a bigger role in shaping metal, when you compare Master of Reality to III you can really see how the two bands differed even though they're both rooted in that blues influenced hard rock. Sabbath's influence all extends to bands like Electric Wizard and the entirety of that sort of doom/stoner metal genre.

Hearing the metallica guy talking on WTF Maron, he so understates these records, like oh yeah we were just goofing round, and each record we're trying to get better.' You're good already you freak

That's something interesting about all these metal guys. They're mostly working class dudes and have really high standards in their work ethic but just describe it like "we wanted to be better than the others / last time", "we want it to sound cool" etc. which really is the essence of it. Halford and Dickinson can get relatively eloquent about what they do but never in any way more than what describing metal requires. I guess that's why they do metal, after all, and not... I dunno, post-punk or something.

Meshuggah
Chaosphere or Nothing...Hard to choose for me.

houses

I choose nothing.

State of Euphoria is fucking garbage
Persistence of Time is aight though, almost like Anthrax going a bit NoMeansNo

catch 33

/thread

That wasn't a choice, retard.

then it should have been, fuckface

this is correct

shut the fuck up. hurr durr stupid meme shit. get the fuck off my board idiot

Yeah, I mean we've come so far to challenge the primacy of melodies / song and yet it still in the end has a mystery and really undeniable immediate power and impact that might be near universal and likely outshines any other aspect. And I say that as someone who spends a lot of time with music that deals more in the other aspects and even decidedly avoids melody.

There are beats, and non-melodic riffs that can be really fucking effective too but I still don't know if they cut to the heart and operate on (possibly) culturally-universal emotional centers the way (the strongest) melodies do.

/thread

>1 hour stoner metal magnum opus steeped in mythology vs a bunch of derivative kangaroo-garage rock songs that combined can't even round out 45 minutes

I'd rather listen to spiderbait, at least they don't need ten fucking guys in the band to constantly create noise to cover up everyone's fuck-ups

>This. He may suck live now but people that think he was just always sloppy because he liked to syncopate heavily are just musically illiterate.
I think it's mostly cause he feels the need to add a fill at the end of every other bar
youtube.com/watch?v=SzmruWRSNUY

This guy gets it.

MoP is far worse than RTL it's not even close

Hetfield is actually a really good singer.

lol this. Anyone who likes King Gizzard is a Triple J worshipping drone

He had a rough couple of years earlier this decade, but it's nice to see he's recovered from it. Same with Hammett. I basically wrote him off after listening to Hardwired and he's impressed me in their latest tour. Sounds like he started practicing again. Ulrich is still the weak link though. He needs to sort his drumming out

t. Razorfist

>Metallica over Motorhead
Fuck outta here pleb

RTL has For Whom the Bell Tolls, so that's my choice.

I only like a handful of songs off each album but the ones i like on RTL are much better than the ones i like on MoP

I'll pick for you.

Guess again

I think hell awaits is more inconsistent desu but I can never decide between the two