Congratulations

They really were just ahead of their time.
Psychedelia is really in right now and the world just caught up with them.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XqFS5IyZUAU
youtu.be/dJ2LZt6hX7M
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

there's like fifty MGMT threads already bruv

Best psych rock song of the 21st century
youtube.com/watch?v=XqFS5IyZUAU

u right but tame's got the fame now

This is still their best album

all the singles oracle spectacular were adored by the masses. MGMT has always been relevant, you're just now getting into them because they're finally getting shilled on Sup Forums

not at all. I listened to this album when it came out, friendo. I liked it but it wasn't the kind of music I liked at the time. I think that's what happened to a lot of people who got brought into MGMT's world. Point I am trying to make is that some people are getting in their face about Hand It Over sounding like Tame Impala as if they had never made psychedelic music before

I just kind of feel bad for these faggots because everyone loves their Ponds and what have you now but they could have run the game.

You have no fucking idea what you're talking about jesus christ. MGMT are the most reactionary band out there

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

MUH 80s

They’ve been making 80s-ish synthpop since the beginning of their career (2005) you ignorant retard
youtu.be/dJ2LZt6hX7M

>ahead of their time
>rehashing '60s psychedelia and '80s synthpop

>They’ve been making 80s-ish synthpop since the beginning of their career (2005)
Do you really not see the irony in this post?

They were ahead of the curve on the rehash though

>reactionary
You can shit on them for making synthpop I don’t care but you have missed used that word moron

4chany Sup Forumstano

You’ve probably heard it more times than “Time to Pretend” by now: the story of MGMT vs. Oracular Spectacular. The duo’s 2007 debut stands as one of recent history's rare game-changing (read: replicable) pop-rock records and its success caught everyone off guard, most of all MGMT themselves. Paralyzed by songs they had the misfortune of disliking more than anyone else, Andrew VanWyngarden and Ben Goldwasser responded in 2010 with Congratulations, a well-meaning, overstuffed, and reactionary record of big ambitions that were only vaguely defined. It didn’t yield a hit, but Congratulations gave them something more valuable going forward: moral high ground. Of course, to follow them on their new path, you needed to believe that “Time to Pretend”, “Kids” and “Electric Feel” would prove to be MGMT’s “Creep” or “She Don’t Use Jelly”, an unrepresentative, fluke hit that allowed them to become stealth operatives for uncompromising art-rock in the compromised major label system.

The most important part of is this narrative is believing that MGMT are victimized by Oracular’s commercial success, a success they won’t repeat because hardly anyone will. If MGMT achieves only half of Oracular's platinum sales, it'll still be one of the top 30 or so sellers in 2013. But judging from the once again well-meaning, overstuffed, and reactionary MGMT, they’ll never make a truly weirder album than their debut either. Their original, guileless mishmash of gonzo storytelling, imperious pomp-rock, and day-glo synthesizers was the work of people who had no choice but to stay true to their ideals, as they had no pretensions or even any real clue of how it would stick. That spirit gave way to a self-conscious, scare-quotes “weirdness” indicative of artists trying to micromanage what you think about them.

I didn't like Congratulations one bit when it first came out, but two years ago it really clicked with me. Genuinely a wonderful album.

Nah, Congratulations was shilled immensely when it first came out. The band literally said they wanted to make an album that fans of the first album wouldn't enjoy.

Oh wow.. weirdly it was also 'in' in 2010 too...

No they weren't jfc gen z retard

They never said that. Source for your bullshit

this

Psych revival has been going on since the 80s and it was alive and well when MGMT started doing it, were you not alive during the 2000s?

>MGMT invented psychedelia!
Gen Z kids really baffle me.