About to watch this again for the first time in years

About to watch this again for the first time in years

It cant be that bad, right?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qzVBqBosf5w
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I went and saw this when they tried to release them in 3D. I fell asleep when jar jar showed up and woke up as duel started.

It's better than AotC at least.

It has it's moments but it's the worst Star Wars movie no doubt

I watched both this and Attack of the Clones after many years and I still love them. The cgi is bad and the acting quite wooden but the rest is good

I'm about to rewatch Revenge, tomorrow Rogue One and then the OT this week-end

I believe TPM, unironically, is the best prequel movie.

I'm not saying it's good or great, but it's better than AotC and RotS -- the former by a wide-margin.

this

I rewatched it the other day. Like all Star Wars there are cool ideas that just aren't executed well.

For example, Jar Jar could have worked if they had toned the brer rabbit jim crow schtick and just made him a normal slick talking scoundrel type with a normal voice.

If the droids were actually threatening and not garbage and they cast a better child actor for Anakin they could have easily had a better movie that still followed George's vision.

Jar Jar should've been a klingon-like dumb warrior who wants to escape his isolated society. He also should've learned a thing or two along the way.

I will never understand how a human being could hold this opinion. I feel like this is a shitpost, but I want to try and understand.

Jar Jar and Anakin ruin TPM singlehandedly, and it's not like the stuff without them is great either. Qui-gon is acceptable, Obi-wan honestly isn't great although I like him considerably more in II and III. There is nothing else going for the movie. Pod-racing takes up way too much time, and most baffling of all is the people who jerk off over Darth Maul despite being mute and having about 2 minutes of screen time before the finale. It's a cool design and all but he's basically a non-factor as a villain and Sidious doesn't have much of a presence either.

So how's it going?

yeah it is.

The comfiest prequel. It also feels most like the original movies because it was shot on film and used more practical effects than the next two prequels.

>people who jerk off over Darth Maul despite being mute and having about 2 minutes of screen time before the finale. It's a cool design and all but he's basically a non-factor as a villain
I remember being really disappointed as a kid when I watched the movie (I think I was 9 at the time) because this badass looking dude with the fuckawesome saberstaff basically does nothing and wasn't fleshed out in the slightest.

Oh well, at least saberstaff is fun to use in Jedi Academy.

I have to admit that this is the only scene where Jar Jar made me laugh. I can't explain why but this scene still cracks me up. Nothing else Jar Jar does is funny. Only this scene.

I rewatched it a few days ago and thought it was pretty good. Also watched episode 2 and it's shit desu.

>Oh well, at least saberstaff is fun to use in Jedi Academy.

I've been thinking about this recently, and I'm really glad the prequels exist, even if they're shit. They immensely expanded the Star Wars universe as it exists in games and books and whatever. If it weren't for them there wouldn't really be the Jedi Order (as we know it, not just the general concept of a Jedi), the Republic/Senate (as we know it), saberstaffs, many of the planets, the Sith, etc. I can forgive/ignore midichlorians for the sake of everything else.

Most trendies disagree but the core Star Wars fans have the consensus that it was the best way to start the franchise again. Jar Jar was actually pretty entertaining.
Best prequel ever.

Pretty much. I've been playing a lot of SW games lately, the only movies I really like are are the first 2 from the OT and I'm not even a huge fan, but I just love the setting, space operas just give me a huge boner, they're just cool by default, like Dune being awesome in spite of the many flaws in it.

it's actually the best star wars movie, don't listen to these edgy rlm fanboys

To finish my thought; in comparison, Episode 7 added fuck all. We hear of the First Order/New Republic but barely see anything of how they work beyond Nazi shouting. Basically the universe is reset to Episode 4 and very little is explained, let alone expanded. I'll hold out hope that Episode 8 and 9 will be bolder but I don't know with Disney. Lucas may have been a retard but at least he cared somewhat, and wasn't just putting out the most inoffensive and profitable thing possible.

Lucas didn't care at all, don't you fucking lie about that.

It's better than Revenge Of The Sith too.

bait

Correct. Not even memeing. It's the best.

Lucas atleast had some vision

He wasnt perfect, but he wanted new things

Gotcha

>Says Lucas didn't care
>Was George's life work, created the whole university from just ideas.

Perfect sense.

Jar Jar is a Sith Lord

>C3PO shoved in for no reason
>R2D2 back for no reason
>dude Jango Fett is also a bounty hunter lmao
>Clones are a ripoff of storm troopers
>dude Baby Boba Fett lmao
>Republic ships are a ripoff of Imperial Star destroyers
>Naboo is earth
>Death Star plans in Attack of the Clones
>All Jedi wear Tatooine farmer robes
>Coruscant is a ripoff of the city from Blade Runner
>dude Genonisis is Tatooine with rocks lmao
>dude Kamino is just Cloud City with water instead of clouds lmao
>""""new"""" things

I can hear the music

Attack of the clones exists.

He cared about adding new things to the universe, that's the point. Even if the execution sucked the ideas had potential.

Why do you say that? Genuinely asking. Episode 1-3 were genuine new entries that expanded upon the universe and didn't overly rehash ground. 7 is arguably better as a movie itself (certainly better than 1 and 2) but as the newest expansion of the Star Wars universe it was seriously disappointing. It's basically just the OT universe, the prequel universe was distinct.

Was it that bad? The romance is cringy, yeah.

God, I love this scene. It feels like it actually takes place in the same universe as the original trilogy. Attack and Revenge feel like they take place in The Fifth Element or something.
Don't get me wrong, The Phantom Menace is an extremely flawed movie, but it's better than the two that followed.

Is it bait, though? Revenge sucked.

The issue with Ep 1 is that it feels more like two kinda meh two parters for a weekly tv series rather than a functional movie. It's not strictly "bad", it's just really rather dull.

Lucas didn't give a fucking shit about the Star Wars prequels.

That's why he filmed a rough draft of a script and shat out the phantom menace and didn't even make one practical fucking Clone Trooper outfit.

He didn't care, he sat on his fat ass and shat out a terrible trilogy that felt like they had no fucking thought or care put into them.

The force is bacteria and Jedi have power levels.

Jar Jar (a cartoon rabbit) is literally the reason Sheev becomes the emperor.

He didn't fucking care one bit. Don't lie to yourself.

>Clones are a ripoff of storm troopers
>Republic ships are a ripoff of Imperial Star destroyers

The rest is arguable but these aren't mistakes, it was clearly supposed to be a transition that you see across the films how the Republic ended up as the Empire. That's not shitty recycling, that's making a universe that actually feels connected.

see

I read that the reason Star Wars is so universally loved is because it allows the viewer a lot of space to fill in the blanks, to use his own imagination. It isnt that important what the movie actually shows you Maul doing.

who was the protagonist?

seeAlso TPM was filmed on a literal first draft.

Dude didn't give a fuck beyond his ego.

>Also TPM was filmed on a literal first draft.
source?

this is a cool scene. I like the design of the ships

Not that user but I think Episode II is pretty bad. There's nothing that really stands out about it to me. Sure, there's the arena scene and the Dooku fight but those aren't really that entertaining or emotionally investing at all.

Episode I at the very least had a few moments that I actually cared about

I don't agree with that at all, any more than other sci-fi/fantasy universes. Sure certainly the Star Wars universe as it is now is much more than what was in the OT, but having the main villain be almost non-existent isn't a success. Vader was a far stronger presence than Maul.

What's the source of these clips, and the "may have gone too far", "Jar Jar is the key to all of this", etc. I know they're in the RLM reviews but what's the actual source? I want to watch the whole thing.

The making of documentary.

The documentary that came on the DVD of TPM.

It's pure gold.

lies

Are there documentaries for II and III as well? Or for the OT?

>not getting it

>general, if meesa get on the tank, there's a way inside
>what is your name?
>it's jar-jar. meesa lick it with meesa tongue
>no. put a bomb in its hatch. stop the tank. return my land to me. then i myself will carry you to the gates of threed
>mediocre

It's not great by any means but it's certainly better than 2 & 3. It was the closest to capturing the feeling of Star Wars IMO after the original trilogy.

There's a great one for Empire Strikes back but I can't remember the name of it for the life o fme.

If there's one thing good about it is that it has The Sith Lord Jar Jar in.
A bad thing is that he speaks.

Yet now we are discussing him. Maybe it was more effective to not have a fleshed-out villain.

There was a bunch for Revenge of the Sith but the only one i remember is one talking about everything involved in making the Anakin vs Obi-wan fight which was pretty dope

We're discussing him in the context of dissecting the shittiness of Phantom Menace. Do you seriously think people have talked more about Maul than Vader? Is everything that has ever been discussed good?

Which PS1 game is thihs

I liked Obi Wan's scenes in Episode II.

For 1998/1999 this is all pretty decent CG, probably because the animators had to focus all of their energy into just the the few things on screen, because it's not dense.

Back in 1999, they absolutely talked about him more than Vader. He was everywhere.

youtube.com/watch?v=qzVBqBosf5w

that was cool

Agreed

TPM is my favorite prequel.

>Was most hated character
>Took ove a decade for people to realize he was the "Phantom's Menace"
>Was confirmed to be sith by Actot Ahmed Best.
>Did the best job of a villain all time(You're not suppose to like him)

People still call it a bad movie?

A SITH LORD?

I call that a reddit meme.

It's alright if you watch an edit without Jar Jar scenes.

>Jar Jar and Anakin ruin TPM singlehandedly
Edgy young adult Anakin is unironically worse than kiddy Anakin though.

those glued spikes on maul's head always bothered me so much

I felt like I could have done better with no budget and plasticine

they had decent budget what the fuck went wrong

Darth Maul is done well as a shadow, mysterious threat.

Sheev vs Amidala vs Senate vs the Nipponese Trade Federation holds down the plot machinations/intrigue for the movie unless you're too dumb to follow any plot with the words 'trade dispute' in it.

Qui Gon and Obi work off eachother well (stitched up Brit and freewheeling Irishman) and make a believable pair of Monk Cops.

TPM spends only as much time on Tatooine as ANH.

SW comic reliefs are generally not funny, nothing new there.

Fucking GOAT designs though in TPM, both sound and visual. N-1 fighter, Nubian Royal Yacht, Synchonised robot army, Podracers, Coruscant, Otah Gunga, Amidala's facepaint/headress is hot, Sebulba's race, and of course there is Darth Maul.

TPM remains weak where is TFA is strong, maybe. But it is strong where TFA is weak, namely in creating a new and interesting era of the SW universe complete with a grand and unique aesthetic and detailed workings of the political/spiritual life of the galaxy's inhabitance.

TPM has actual world-building, which in sci-fi is very fucking important.

Watched it three days ago. Its fucking terrible. Cgi looks like shit.

Anakin showing off by throwing himself out of the speeder car in Coruscant.

Anakin freaking out and depopulating a village of Tusken Raiders

The Padme/Anakin kiss with music swelling as they enter the arena to die.

Investigator Obi getting some time off from raising Anakin to do what he does best.

Obi vs Jango in the rain.

Obi, Anakin, Padme vs the monsters in the arena

Jedi Zerg rush to the rescue

Yoda vs Dooku (don't lie it is fucking memorable and people went crazy for it at the time)

Sheev presiding over the marching clones as they jet off around the galaxy at the end.

>Nothing memorable

>kid sized helmet

TFA exists.

>depopulating
>dat euphamism

Half those scenes I only remember because of how awful they are

It's better than AotC and TFA