And now we turn Sherlock from a series about solving murder mysteries into a spy drama

>and now we turn Sherlock from a series about solving murder mysteries into a spy drama
what did he mean by this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=naXEF8gr7EU
sherlockpeoria.net/Who_is_Sherlock/SherlockTimeline.html
theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/jan/04/to-an-undiscerning-critic-from-mark-gatiss
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The series really went down the shitter fast when they started giving Mary more screentime and focused more on the character's life problems than on the actual mystery. I can't believe that they can fuck up a Sherlock adaptation this badly.

What about an episode where Sherlock solves a murder. Only mid-way the murderer is murdered seemingly by the guy he murdered?

And then it turns out Mary was the original murderer

not enough Mary

Would you?

It's 2017. It should be HERlock, not SHERlock.

Absolutely, without question.

she got less hot when she opened her mouth t b h

>have a flash drive incriminating you and your team of ultra-elite agents
>not encrypt it
>carry it with you everywhere, even to dangerous situations where you might end up being kidnapped or killed

--

>want to surprise your father by hiding in your car at
>purchase or manufacture an elaborate costume to emulate the look of a car seat instead of hiding by ducking down on the back seats

--

>a random merchant from Tbilisi keeps full names of every single customer he's had for 6+ years on the internet
>it's not possible that the buyer sells or throws out the collector's item

the writing in this show is really getting sloppy

She's cute but her accent is what really does it for me

>selling or throwing out a bust of Maggie
I got you on my shitlist, pinko

Mary was such a shit character. But no, we can't get rid of her even when she's dead

This show went from Sherlock and Holmes to Mary and Friends

they really fucked this episode up. What the fuck?

So is she going to be some sort of plant by Moriarty to fuck up Sherlock/Watson

>we want the Elementary audience

>Watching the newest Sherlock episode
>It seems they are actually investigating a mystery this time
>lol no, Sherlock solved it in less than a minute
>The fucking memory pin appears
And thats when i stopped paying attention

Jesus christ, that forehead could block out the sun

Elementary is far better than this shit.

Is it weird that I'm getting really bothered by how elaborate these normal folks are getting?

For example, It really bothered me how in the callback episode it turned out the abdominal bride was a secret society of women fed up with the patronizing men in their life. It felt unrealistic. Not to mention, I'm honestly surprised they knew how to pull off a mirror trick like that considering the all should've been fairly uneducated considering they were just maids and housewives. And who was the first corpse?!

The writing has gone downhill. The first episode of Sherlock had a fairly simple main villain who just tricked people into taking poisons. Everything is going off the deep end now.

the second episode in the season has so far been some sort of "filler" with one or two mysteries throughout, so let's hope for the best

I've heard a rumour that the new villain is going to be based on Jimmy Saville which would be interesting

Well the stuff in the bride ep was all taking place in sherlock's head so I can excuse it for not making much sense, but they still fucked it up anyway by making it almost completely pointless and badly written. It should have been a huge opportunity to flesh out more about sherlock's mind but somebody dropped the ball big time and for some reason inserted a half-assed "so let's feel sorry for women opressed in the 1800's and excuse them for murder" thing...wat.

>The first episode of Sherlock had a fairly simple main villain who just tricked people into taking poisons. Everything is going off the deep end now.

in my opinion it's fine for the crimes/villains to not make much sense; holmes stories are usually just a character study of holmes, and that's what BBC sherlock is supposedly setting out to do. But instead of taking the route of just making the mysteries and villains somewhat simple and boring so that holmes/watson can be focused on, they are trying to make the mysteries really extreme and exciting...but there is no reason to do that, because they are not the point of the story. So why the fuck would you try to puff the mysteries up like that when you never intended for them to have any substance anyway? It just makes it painful to watch. They really should just stick to simple villains, like the one you mentioned.

pic related is the basic issue that the show is supposedly trying to explore, but they keep throwing in all this extra shit and it just makes it so clumsy and stupid. House MD did it better for longer, and that show got pretty bad.

youtube.com/watch?v=naXEF8gr7EU

>for some reason inserted a half-assed "so let's feel sorry for women opressed in the 1800's and excuse them for murder" thing...wat.
Moffat is a major reddit/tumblr user.

Well, that's obvious, when I said 'for some reason' I didn't have some non-tumblr image of the creators, being pretty tumblr myself. But they also have a "master plan" for Sherlock and I was just disappointed that they inserted some random and lifeless "be sad about history" filler crap when they could have used it for some insight into Sherlock's character. If it was taking place in his head and didnt make sense anway, they could have gone anywhere with it but instead just ended it on a message that would have been excusable to incorporate in some other way I guess if they really wanted to...but instead they utilized what should have been a key moment in the episode for nothing relevant to the show--when previous episodes have been (decreasingly) packed full of relevant characterizing details.

No, I have a wife and her three beautiful children.

Wouldn't you at least keep her number as a confidence boost?

It was a christmas special m8, it kinda had to be fillery.

>not encrypt it
Well, the whole point is that it should be readable by the third party. Does not make the whole concept any less retarded though.

>Well, the whole point is that it should be readable by the third party.
Not really, the point is that anyone of them has all the information needed to bring them all down. If anyone decided to share the stick with a third party, they might as well share the password. All encrypting it does is make sure that you actually want someone who happens to have the stick to look through it.

No, Eementary is actually a good show.

>Elementary

1 > 2 > 3 > 4
is truly the saddest ordering a show can have

Yeah, I guess that's fair. I was just waiting for the next step in their master plan.

spoiler Sherlock will die

There is a 'point' though, just on the meta level. Traditionally, it's pretty much been a 1 v 1 with him falling off the falls as well. This one bucks it with Watson actually around to help
>there's always been the two of us

Yeah but now we know Mary was a super soldier who could teleport in front of bullets.

Nah, as distorted as it has become they are still following ACD's goalposts with character deaths/survivals (I think...it's been a while), I don't think that's the kind of tweest they're aiming for.

I'm pretty convinced it's just gonna end with Holmes and Watson being gay (or just admitting/demonstrating they love eachother in their own definition of love, but in any case more explicitly than has been done in previous adaptations or thusfar on the show).

If I rewatch that ep I'll keep that in mind. If you have more to say about it please do

you're off m8; ACD wrote short stories, he didn't give a fuck about continuity and decided to kill Sherlock once

>we planned to only have 2 good seasons

It's nothing much really. With most adaptations of Sherlock Holmes, there are almost always the constant themes of
>Watson and Holmes going on adventures together
>but Holmes will almost always face Moriarty alone at Reinhbach and they will both fall
The special episode basically just broke that trend and said well, this time, Watson's there for Holmes in that one critical moment where Holmes has been destined to fall many times. So that 'there's always been the two of us' line he uttered is meant to be a meta thing, where if they're together, they can even dodge what is traditionally the point where Holmes invariably fails.

kek

Then we shall shitpost in the shade

why did I laugh at this so much

>REEEEEEEEEEEE

Yeah they already covered that though. That's what the building jumping thing was about, and bringing Holmes back after that. I think the ep even has Reichenbach in the name. There were plenty of stories after ACD resurrected Holmes. It's hard to put Holmes stories in "order" of how they happened from the character's POV since you're correct about ACD not giving a fuck about continuity but The Final Problem (which is the one where Holmes dies iirc) happens kind of in the middle: sherlockpeoria.net/Who_is_Sherlock/SherlockTimeline.html

Unlike ACD who was just creating from scratch, Moffat, Gatiss & co are making an homage/update to ACD's material (so I'm expecting that having completed the Reichenbach thing they wont kill him off again) and instead of hating writing Holmes stories they love it, so I don't see a Holmes death being imminent

Ahh yeah, that's definitely a good point.

I was mainly complaining about the suffragettes shit which I still feel salty about but they did do a good job with switching up the waterfall outcome, and having that take place in Sherlock's mind is pretty damn worthwhile since all this time he's been pushing John away because sentiment = losing the game and/or he's worried what could happen to John and everyone else if he doesn't take on "Moriarty" alone...but it flips that on its head and just shows, no, this is how you defeat Moriarty (or whatever it is that Moriarty may represent)

I guess I should watch that ep again, I got too wrapped up in complaining about other elements of the writing that I barely noticed what you just mentioned

I'd even take it even further to say that the scene also has the point of basically underlining what 'Sherlock Holmes' means in pop culture, really. ACD tried to kill him but fans didn't like it and he had to bring him back, so him falling but then coming back has been the canon for years to come no matter how many versions gets made.

In a way, I always saw the Abominable Bride bit as but the sub-plot (you know, like how capeshit needs that first act of beating up random enemies before moving to the main plot with the main villain) to set up the real main purpose which was a way to 'retcon' (for lack of a better word to put it) that; it's always been Watson and Sherlock going on adventures together and their stories are so prominent it transcends the original author.So it only make sense that Watson will be with him when he faces Moriarty, i.e. that's how it should have been if ACD didn't try to end his story: Sherlock encounters a new threat and Watson faces it with him. Breaking that trend of him falling at Reinbach thus parallels the fact the story of Sherlock Holmes (and Watson at his side) can never truly end.

>No, Eementary is actually a good show.
Not a good Sherlock Holmes adaptation tho.

Interesting.

I don't have anything to add to that, really.

God damn I want to know what these guys are going to do with the rest of this.

They turned it into James Bond

Thanks for the laugh, user. I needed that.

theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/jan/04/to-an-undiscerning-critic-from-mark-gatiss