Why did this album never blow up like ITAOTS?

Why did this album never blow up like ITAOTS?

most people have shit taste

There's no "I love you Jesus Christ" moment.

it's weirder

cover isn't as memeable

>album about staining Anne Frank's mountain tops
>not weirder

Much more experimental, during this time Mangum was into psychedelic music, incorporating it in songs like marching band. Songs that are even neutral milk hotel quality like Naomi and Gardenhead are also more rhythmic and nuanced than that which appears on ITAOTS, isolating it even furthermore from its niche indie community.

Aeroplane is like a nice little present with flashy packaging, ribbons that sparkle and and a nice shiny bow, while Avery Island is a better gift but is poorly wrapped in yesterday's newspaper and duct tape

that album doesn't end with a 13 minute drone track or start with a barrage of random noises and then a song about gay sex

>still thinking this is weirder

more lo-fi/psychedelic/noisy/experimental
also to me the songwriting in itaots is more memorable

honestly the album art is just way less memorable

no chick with a coconut for a head

everyone saying it's weirder is right
I got a lot of my irl friends into nmh, two headed boy and holland 1945 are in our daily driving playlist
one time I put on someone is waiting and everybody literally laughed at the fucking track during the weird pinball machine outro nonsense
It's a good album but honestly some parts you can't even take seriously

itz 2 good!!!!!!!!!!!!! hipster lyfe

This, it doesn't have the right kind of shittiness to scream "MEME!" like ITAOTS.

Because it's nowhere near as good.

It's not as cohesive nor as catchy. Also, ITAOTS doesn't have a
>we ride roller coasters into the ocean, we feel no emotion
moment. It still blows my mind that someone as talented as Jeff wrote that line.

it did for me its my number 1 album to listen to when i have a bunch of cocaine

THE
GARDENHEAAAAAAAAAD
KNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWS
MYYYY
NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME

>EVERYWHERE I GOOOO
>SWALLOWED UP INSIIIIIIIIDE

It's honestly pretty rough at times. When it's good, it's as good if not better than IAOTS. But on songs like You've Passed, it's like wtf am I listening to right now

ferris wheel on fire is the true NMH magnum opus