Why did Obi Wan an hero in a New Hope?

Why did Obi Wan an hero in a New Hope?

He was not a good friend.

becauz he needed to grown stronger

Because he ignored the droid attack on the Wookies

I have always thought that was the stupidest fucking thing. It felt like it was something that was going to mean something important later on, but lucas never got around to it. Like, maybe some lesson about self sacrifice that would help luke later? Or, even more annoying that line "strike me down i'll become more powerful then you can imagine". Well, he really fucking didn't, did he? He become a spoopy force ghost that gave luke a tip or two here and there. Is that more powerful then someone that's around all the time teaching luke the force and sheet? Someone that can actually help luke tag team vader, then the emporer?

He doesn't do fuck all after he let's vader chop him down. I think lucas had this vague idea that sacrificing yourself as a jedi would do something, but wasn't sure what. Don't put incomplete thoughts into movies god damnit, especially if you don't follow up on it, because that line seems especially stupid after watching all the rest of the movies and circling back to it.

Because they were both on even ground. Obi Wan's unique fighting style only works when he has a high ground or low ground advantage.

He didn't have much longer to live, he wasn't stronger than Vader at that point, he wanted to distract Vader for Luke and the gang to escape, he wanted to demonstrate to the Luke that the Force has power beyond death.

No Obi-Wan had the MORAL high ground because he was still a Jedi, while Vader had fallen and was a puppet of the Empire.

because luke needed something to be tested on to see if he would also turn to the autistic rage side

To manipulate Luke.

It's more of a thing in ESB but the point is that Luke just wants to do exciting stuff, and Obi-Wan has to tell him stories and lies about the jedi and get himself killed by Vader in order to rile up Luke and make him want to carry on with the battle against the sith despite not having had anything at all to do with it.

Obi Wan always had the moral high ground. Did that help him beat Dooku?

To become more powerful than Darth (or anyone else, including Lucas) could ever imagine!

So he could get the power of contacting Luke anywhere, anytime. Cellphones weren't good friends yet.

Also, they were waiting for him to get back, with a ton of troopers between him and the Falcon. If something had happened to R2/Leia/Luke, the Death Star would never have been destroyed.

Obi-Wan sees that Luke is vital to helping Anakin fulfill his destiny. So Obi-Wan knows that he cannot kill Vader, or he cannot bring balance to the force. Furthermore, as a spirit he will be able to help Luke become a jedi and turn Vader back to the light.

Does Anakin have a forcefield thats bending Obi Wans saber like that?

I always wondered if Vader knew what happened to Obi Wan or if he thought Obi Wan was now running around the ship naked.

I'm not a star wars fan, but I understand irl philosophy of the good/bad duelistic nature, i kind of assumed that to become an etheral being, he can't just an hero or die of old age etc, he has to be struck down by great evil, in the star wars sense, the darkside.
Hence they retconned it that liam neson did the same thing after being killed by that red guy with the staff.
Like that the evil force gave the good force power. An eb and flow, like yin-yang.

I mean lucas must have got inspiration from irl philosophy for the force ideology

To become a part of the living Force. He did this to further Luke's training by helping him find Yoda.

Shitty thread aside, I could actually see this.

So what the fuck even is death if you're still you after you die and can even talk to living people and shit?

If you keep the same form when you died in the afterlife, I'll stop drinking all the time, hit the gym, and blow my brains out when I'm /fit/.

But seriously, why does death matter in the Star Wars Universe?

The force lets you sense the future . Obiwan could feel it in the force that he was losing the duel and if he continued there was 90% chance he was gunna lose to vsder anyway

When he saw luke he sensed a new path where he trains luke to take on vader. Luke defeating vader had like a 70% chance and so he would become more powerful because he'd have a greater chance of affecting the universe in death, thru luke

Only powerful Jedi who train in the technique can become part of the living force. Qui-gon, Obi-Wan. Yoda and Anakin are the only ones we know did it in the movies.

Force ghosts dissipate after a while they aren't eternal the more force sensitive people you have aware of you the longer you ladt but eventually u do dissapear into the force

Oh, okay. I'm not super familiar with the SW universe and back lore, that's why I asked. Thanks.

As an aside: why is Star Wars so popular? Don't get me wrong, they are great movies. But like, how did it get so engrained in our culture? How did it become so iconic? Seriously it's everywhere. I like the movies and all but EVERYONE knows who R2D2 is. It just seems weird that this one franchise blew up and is everywhere. Gaymerr gurls and hipsters who never watched the movies have all sorts of Star Wars merchandise to pose as a nerd and shit. Why this one franchise?

>immortal force ghost who can be anywhere and guide anyone
>decrepit old man who can't even use high ground anymore

gee OP

Go watch barbarella, soylent green and logans run. Imagine those are the only sci fi movies you ever seen ur whole life...

Now go rewatch star wars. It blew everyone's fucking mind back ib the day. People went to go see it like 9-10 times in theaters in the 70s because conparetivley everything else fucking blew hard