This is getting ridiculous

This is getting ridiculous.
Are they on their way to replacing The Beatles for the title of “greatest artist of all time”?

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com
twitter.com/AnonBabble

They have three albums in the top 20, including number 1, whereas The Beatles only have two. In other words: They already have.

the fact that

I hope so.

On RYM maybe, but that’s hardly indicative of popular opinion. I love Radiohead but I’m not sure how they’ve been influential in music aside from being consistently creative and unique.

scholarly is always more important than popular opinion

It’s not just about who has more in the top five, it’s who has more in the top 100, not to mention who has generally been praised more. Simultaneously I understand the temporal difference renders the comparison unfair, but it still makes sense to a degree. Both have influenced equal amounts of artists GIVEN their disposition of when they started. I enjoy The Beatles more, and TB influenced like, everyone. EVERYONE. At the same time, Radiohead has some seriously outstanding material. Hard to judge.

The fact that so many websites still name Radiohead as "the greatest or most significant or most influential" rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art.

I will always love Scaruffi and he has excellent music taste, but if you honestly think The Beatles made anything less than phenomenal music, you have got to be joking. Abbey Road and Revolver alone epitomize creativity and send almost every other artist crying back to their studios.

Site's ranking system is stupid since it takes into account the number of votes. And since Radiohead has by far the most ratings received out of all bands, it's obvious their albums would go that high in overall rankings

Calling Radiohead (or The Beatles for that matter) "greatest artist of all time" just because they manage to be massively accessible while writing decent songs and being somewhat interesting is pretty sad.
There are countless artists more deep, original, innovative, et cetera. They're just more niche. Being at the top of the lowest common denominator isn't really worth worshiping them.

Real life people don't give a fuck about Radiohead besides Creep, RYM is made up of autistic music nerds that don't represent majority opinion.

that's why he used quotes

Scaruffi has a separate list for overrated 90's artists just so he could include Radiohead.

agreed

Radiohead BTFO

radiohead pretty much had the same trajectory as the Beatles

>start out as pop rock band
>slowly get more and more experimental each album
>finally reach the peak and release kid A, an album that has jazz, IDM, kraut rock, post rock, and ambient elements

Anticipation for Kid A was high; Spin described it as the most highly anticipated rock record since Nirvana's In Utero.[58] After the publicity for OK Computer had brought Yorke to mental breakdown,[59] Radiohead minimised their involvement in the album's marketing, conducting few interviews or photoshoots.[60] They were careful to present the album as a cohesive work rather than a series of separate tracks; rather than give record label executives copies to consider individually, they had them listen to the album in its entirety on a bus from Hollywood to Malibu.[61] Radiohead released no singles, though "Optimistic" and promotional copies of other tracks received radio play. MTV2,[62] KROQ, and WXRK played the album in its entirety.[1] No advance copies of the album were circulated,[63] but it was played under controlled conditions for critics and fans.[64] According to the Observer, one critic called the album "a commercial suicide note".[4] Rob Gordon, vice president of marketing at Capitol Records, the American subsidiary of Radiohead's label EMI, praised the album but said promoting it would be a "business challenge".[65]

Kid A reached number one on Amazon's sales chart, with more than 10,000 pre-orders.[65] In the UK, the album sold 55,000 copies in its first day of release,[60] the biggest first-day sales of the year and more than every album in the rest of the top ten combined.[60] It debuted at number one in the charts in the UK,[60] US,[76] France, Ireland, New Zealand and Canada. It was the first US number one in three years for any British act, and Radiohead's first US top 20 album.[65][77] European sales slowed on 2 October 2000, the day of release, when 150,000 faulty CDs were recalled by EMI.[60]

Real scholarly opinion wouldn't be concerned with something as arbitrary as ranking pop music groups. Don't use that word until you've done your close readings a little closer, user.

You must not have been paying attention to the fifty years of professional people psychoanalyzing every single Beatles lyric

>Real

Get over the pop psychology and read something truly critical

what website is that?

rateyourmusic.com

reddityourmusic.com

radiohead is gay lol

This.

I've never gotten the fuss around stuff like this
Radiohead are a great band and everyone likes them, of course they're going to end up near the top
I'm perfectly fine with it
What do you think should be topping the charts? Incapacitants? OK Computer is a great record

the beatles are so overrated.

tanks guys

>appeal to academia

wew

>What do you think should be topping the charts?
My favorite album.

this

>buy this album

>fantano and facebook music meme pages get popular
>rym gets exposure
>accessible albums get higher ratings
I hate this timeline

Well if it didn't then some extremely obscure classical record with one 5 star rating would be ranked #1

I think this guy was better than both of them desu

so based

G R A N D P A
R
A
N
D
P
A