R.I.P. Hip Hop

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CHRlI2hLk74
youtube.com/watch?v=P8-9mY-JACM
youtube.com/watch?v=YiQ3GZsSmmo
youtube.com/watch?v=gmri609-wO8
youtube.com/watch?v=vnvQod9zb_c&list=PL9AtDq7_9CAFA5RIOLj1UTm8H56hwYdV4&ab_channel=SubPop
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

This is probably some guy running their stuff instead of Eric B or Rakim.
But isn't Rakim the same guy who mostly does brag rap? Like he was really any better.

He's right you know

I think it might be on its way out, now. Hip Hop has experienced years of popularity around almost as long as Rock as been popular, although somewhat less. What will supersede Hip Hop, though? Will it not go away, but become watered-down like Rock music has, mostly?

Is trap the glam rock to hip hop?
>Thinking emoji.jpg

hes right. when i was in my early teens i loved wu-tang clan's 36 chambers, GZA's Liquid Swords, and a Tribe Called Quest etc - now I cant stand anything rap due to its current state in the mainstream.

oh shit

Niggers ruined something other niggers built. Surprise surprise

>i cant enjoy mick jenkins because tyga made another song with chris brown

Have fun with the ban

>meaningful change through words

Better it's their own race than others. Looking at you, angel jizz.

They rap about that to dispell the anger they faced at the hands of whites who enslaved them. Intelligent whites know this, and feel sympathy for their plight, which gives them their popularity. Midwest soyboys have literally nothing to complain about, because they already have the advantage of being white, which virtually grants them access to any girl they want. In that regard, they write about brutally dishonest, superficial emotions and make money for selling moronic "sensitivity" albums.

>You scream I'm lazy, you must be crazy
>Thought I was a donut, you tried to glaze me
wow old school hip hop is so much better than the trap """""rap""""" that we have today amirite?

If a white person wrote this, it would be called "cringe general."

>Cherry Picking

Beastie Boys were doing it nearly 3 decades ago. That was the time to shut down this fucking shit pop rap.

no
its to hip hop what
metalcore was to metal

you act as though the rest of his lyrics are super lyrical deconstructions of the black human condition and not just generic party rap with a good beat and flow

pretty good.

>I can't stand anything rap due to its current state in the mainstream
so look outside of the mainstream ya dummy, you're on a music board so you're obviously pretty into music. just try harder. poetic rap music trying to create a social change is still out there, even if it isn't on the top 40.

Nope its the numetal of hip hop

ICP is better than trap

literally who
they should dig deeper

Hip hop is in a real sorry state these days.
At least rock is dead, it's ghost sometimes haunts these lands... Hip hop is writhing on the ground, spitting up years of codeine and xanax, and it's pathetic to see.

Somewhere along the line, people forgot what it means to actually respect the music. The music should let you realize who you already are, not tell you who you should be. This is where hip hop has failed.

Sorry, I've been listening to a lot of Prince lately.

postmodernism will devolve all forms of media when capitalistic greed tightens its chokehold on what consumers have access to.

never thought i'd see the day when one could get banned for saying nigger on Sup Forums, fagget nigger mods

Rakim is inarguably the best rapper ever. Look up his stuff.

Yeah mods say that it's technically only supposed to be written on Sup Forums

>muh lyrics
>muh message

I bet you watch movies for the actors, too. These pleb conscious rappers have been doing the same 4/4 Macklemore flow over samples forever, and then get angry when they aren't noticed on soundcloud.

it does say racism outside of Sup Forums isn't allowed in the rules. lets see what happens

Listen guys I don’t wanna burst your bubble or anything but he won’t get banned just for that

wow wtf born in le wrong generation much? who are these redditfags

modern rap does suck, everyone knows it but if you speak against it you are accused of being

1. old
2. boring
3. cant have fun
5. racist
6. dude stop taking it so seriously and like turn your brain off and listen to these bangers xDDD

there is no doubt that rap itself has degraded both lyrically and instrumentality and this is cheered on by morons and white bourgeois hipsters who think lil pump is authentic.

the gentrification of hip hop has occured.

and so there are no longer any lowerclass black voices

just idiots mumbling about xanax

Is this your favorite album, user?

>mfw lil pump and lil uzi are the only rappers that exist

might as well. thats all i see of rap.

>because they already have the advantage of being white, which virtually grants them access to any girl they want
nigga what reality are you living in

>i don't dig deeper into genres and judge them based on what the mainstream is like

got any recs?

there is no rap underground.

Rap has been swallowed by the top 40 pop machine and the only thing left is dudes with rainbow hair and drake

rap lost its original ethos

rock has been marginalized

rap is complete garbage

hipsters became poptamists

electronic music turned into "EDM"

Honestly i dont give a shit if i sound old, this decade has been fucking cancer

>there is no rap underground.
living in a world where it is impossible to type soundcloud or bandcamp into google

you are literally not even trying at all to find new music if you really believe there isn't still an underground rap scene. there's also still non-EDM electronic music being made constantly, it's just that EDM has been its mainstream face for literally decades.
either this is bait or you have achieved maximum pleb

True, black people get away with everything honestly

>there is no rap underground.
oh shit i forgot that trapo is getting tons of radio play with his song with 62k views
youtube.com/watch?v=CHRlI2hLk74

the music business doesnt care about art anymore. they dont take risks, they dont take risks on rock bands, take risks on some consiiunse rap.
They JUST WANT SOME BANGERS XDDDDD

The people who control the music business are fucking accountants not music fans

Rap was never about poetry, it was about niggers rapping about muh police brutality when they were the ones doing drive by shootings and selling dope

you're just restating what you said previously

what does he mean by "they?"

is he talking about (((((them)))))?

you're complaining about the natural result of any sort of artistic industry existing in a capitalist economy, honestly. it's only by the odd miracle that the music industry ever produces anything but the most generic, low-risk music they can possibly imagine. pretty much every major advancement in music begins as a grassroots, underground thing; hopefully it appeals to enough normies to eventually become mainstream, but even then it will slowly devolve into [insert genre]-flavored muzak that has been engineered to appeal to as wide of an audience as possible.

Xanax “rappers”

I don't think capitalism really has anything to do with it. You have to actually condition a population to think music like lil xan is good. If you took lil xan and placed him in, idk, 1976, he'd get shot by an actual musician.
Think about it, people say a theocracy is awful too, but the greatest music to ever grace the earth was sponsored by the church at those times.

ur just a filthy commie.

They dont refer to music as art anymore. They call it product. They will literally ask musicians when they can expect the “product” to release.

Rap died with Lil Peep

I’ve gotten banned for saying that on this board.

Must have been a nigger mod and a nigger who reported it

good art is made for more than the purpose of greed and capital.

Bourgeois scum will never understand this.

Rap used to be about how it fucking sucked being a poor black guy in america and how dangerous the streets were

There was party rap of course.

But there was room for everything.

Modern music in general has been whittled down into what can make money and not anything that takes risks

Go to youtube comment section, millions of kids wishing to be born back then, back when real rap was happening, back when rock music was respected and good.

and the people in charge just ignore this shit to hire like some dude with a face tat mumbling about gucci

Is modern Hip Hop good?

Can we stop referring to Death Grips as hip hop? They’re more spoken word punk than anything.

Not even fucking remotely, since Bowie, Eno, Lou Reed, Sparks, Alice Cooper, Roxy Music, etc. exist. Glam rock may have been very image based, but there sure as hell was a lot of good music in it as well. You could whip up a trap song ready for soundcloud and the radio in about twenty minutes, generously speaking. The only good artists related to the genre are the ones that take influence from completely different places and make more use of the sound, like Denzel Curry for example. From this, it's clear what trap REALLY is for this generation.

right here. Imperial is the Around the Fur of trap. It's the best we're gonna get. It's a matter of time before it dies out now.

Good rap still exist.

However, the most popular ones are usually just mindless party songs without any substance. Funny how the black community is fucking themselves over by promoting regressive hedonism above everything else lmao.

So basically what he's saying is that music has to make some grandiose statement to be worthwhile. Apparently instrumentals don't mean shit and all that matters is lyrical content. Yes, lyrics can definitely be important in music, especially hip-hop, but just because it isn't the only important thing in hip-hop doesn't mean the genre is dead. At the end of the day, you need to consider what you're rapping over. No matter how profound a message your music has, it can and will be obscured if you use shitty beats to communicate it. Sure, mainstream hip-hop is in a pretty absymal state as of now, but is that not obvious? If you base your musical opinions soley on the mainstream, you'll think everything is shit. Even then, modern trap-rappers' philosophy of beats being more worthwhile than lyrics is genuinely worth considering. Even if they don't utilize this idea in a meaningful way yet, the concept of putting less emphasis on lyrics and full focus on the quality of the music itself could give way to a masterpiece in the right hands. And given many music fans' animosity towards the simplistic trap hits of today, a new wave of rap with an emphasis on musicality could easily happen. If anything, we're approaching another golden age of rap. Fuck you, Eric B and Rakim.

>78090484
WOAH DUDE ASSONANCE = WISDOM.

AWFULLY HOT COFFEE POT
SLOPPY THOT CRAPPIE TOP

WOOT WE DA RILLIS KANGZ YO

hip hop was dealt the fatal wound in the 90s with the split of the MC and the rapper, this shit is just another nail in the coffin

>You could whip up a trap song ready for soundcloud and the radio in about twenty minutes,

Prove it.

lil xan is a soundcloud rapper. people liked him so he got signed to a label so that they would make money. that is literally just capitalist economics in action; if nobody liked him, they would never sign him. i don't see why they would condition the population to like him when they could just sign people who make music the population already likes instead.
also you can't counter "capitalism naturally results in the music industry supporting generic music" with "theocracy produced good music." it just doesn't make any sense. no shit people made good music under a theocracy; those dudes were trying to make literally the best music they could possibly come up with for the sake of giving glory to god. i don't think it's possible to make lazy generic music if you are honestly making it for that purpose. also theocracy isn't even an economic system and i'm not a commie.

Well bitch that doesn't answer my question.

is he wrong?

Lyricism in rap to a fucking rapper is like the fucking guitar is to rock music.

And now what is rap?

UGHHH GET DA STIFFY *incoherent mumbling

More like hair metal. And not the Motley Crue, GNR side, the Warrant and Slaughter side.

Is there any legit mystical or psychedelic rap? Like, what's the rap equivalent of some crazy 60s improvisation by the Grateful Dead or Jimi Hendrix?

No. Actual improvisation doesn't work in hip hop.
What are called freestyles are actually pre-written for the most part.

>reddit spacing

you should go back

NIGGAS IFFY UH

fuck old ass niggas

G U C C I
A
N
G

>Psychedelic hip hop is characterized by complex sample-based beats, often obscure material, and witty, abstract lyrics filled with unconventional "far-out" references. Early examples of this style are some of the more sample-heavy late 1980s hip hop releases such as De la Soul's 3 Feet High And Rising (1989) and Beastie Boys' Paul's Boutique (1989). Another key figure in the development of this subgenre is Kool Keith of The Ultramagnetic MC's, and his many releases under the aliases "Black Elvis", "Dr. Octagon", and "Dr. Dooom".

youtube.com/watch?v=P8-9mY-JACM

Didn't Ice Tea say the same thing about Soulja Boy?

dadrappers

3 Feet High & Rising + Paul's Boutique are 2 of my favorite hip hop records, but I wouldn't call them straight up psychedelic. They're as close as anyone will get though, I guess they can get a bit "off the rails" lyrically.

first off
>tea
second, if he did, he was right
it was crumbling down then, but now we've just reached the point where it's easily noticeable

He is so goddamn right

I like this new retarded shit lmao.

He's right, but the hardly anybody wants to admit it in fear of looking like a le wrong generation kid.

>But isn't Rakim the same guy who mostly does brag rap
he literally G.O.D

It's just a shitty punk. Soon Hip Hop will get replaced with Blorp music when the Xlackians of Zhnork 5 finally invade and turn our cerebral cortexes into mush.

>The death of poetry and smoothness, (((they))) use this?
What did he mean by this?

>Lyricism in rap to a fucking rapper is like the fucking guitar is to rock music.
But it doesn't have to be that way. First of all, I have to disagree with what you said about lyrics- flow and delivery are infinitely more important to rap than lyrical content. Secondly, even if we are to assume that lyricism in rap is equivalent to a guitar in rock, it's worth noting that some of the most critically acclaimed rock albums experimented with the guitar, distorting its sound into something unique and substituting or augmenting it with other, less conventional instruments. With this in mind, why can't that be applied to rap too? Why can't we take the focus away from lyricism and onto innovative, unexplored territory for the genre?
I hate to recommend a literal meme, but albums like Niggas on the Moon by Death Grips really are the future of rap. The focus is entirely on the instrumentals, which are engaging and give the album a distinct sound. The actual rapping serves as just another instrument rather than a vehicle to deliver a message. Most of MC Ride's lyrics are total word salad, and it doesn't take away from the music at all.

you're wrong but that's okay
youtube.com/watch?v=YiQ3GZsSmmo
youtube.com/watch?v=gmri609-wO8

Shabazz Palaces - Black up is really good it's kind of psychadelic but not improvised or anything

youtube.com/watch?v=vnvQod9zb_c&list=PL9AtDq7_9CAFA5RIOLj1UTm8H56hwYdV4&ab_channel=SubPop

that's a bingo

>emphasis on aesthetics
>flamboyant, androgynous looks
>songs mostly about partying, drugs, sex, etc.
>very much 'poppy' and hit-oriented
>the first wave of its genre to truly flood mainstream (American) culture
>generally derivative and watered down, lots of copycats within the subgenre

does this mean we're gonna get a hip hop version of thrash metal?

literally who

I came up with the reddit spacing meme with a bunch of friends in discord and pushed it as a meme, and it's hilarious to see people use it unironically

I completely agree with this

>Brockhampton
>4:44
>milo
>Open Mike Eagle
>Vince Staples
>Danny Brown
>Busdriver
yes. modern hip hop is good. this thread is filled with people who
a) don't actually care to look for talented rappers
b) likely never appreciated rap to begin with unless it was socially-conscious, but not too-conscious-for-whitey-rap and probably think Eminem is the GOAT
c) have adopted the opinions of others instead of exposing themselves to music outside of their comfort zone to learn something new about themselves
hip hop is an eternally undefined genre. it started as a babysitter for bored black kids in the hood, and the newest rap will always reflect that demographic (e.g. black youth). there are artists like milo who are basically the black kids that wore a goku gi to school, and then there are kids like lil uzi vert or JID who came to school on downers every day and fucked the teacher's aide. nothing new under the sun, folks

>50 year olds don't understand the state of modern music

What else is new? Rappers are as bad as rockers bitching about how music isn't like it was in their time.

this. fucking patrician

In contrast, Stockton off of No Love Deep Web provides a simple, heavy beat that Ride once again esoterically spits word salad on but his flow and delivery act as the instrumentation. Other rap artists that have extremely unique flows but not necessarily a huge focus on meaningful or mature lyrics are engaging audiences as well. Take the wild crooning of Young Thug or Lil Uzi Vert. It may be shit to a lot of ears but its never been done quite like them.

>spoken word punk
fucking retard

>being this new
wowzers

>old people