Why the Rogue One Trailer's Most Iconic Shot Never Appeared in the Movie

The first Rogue One trailer ended with a very memorable shot of Jyn Erso walking down a hallway and turning around just as the lights went on around her. You see it above. Obviously, it’s not in the movie, and that’s because it was never supposed to be.

Speaking to the Director’s Guild’s podcast “The Director’s Cut,” director Gareth Edwards explained that that shot was just done during rehearsals. Every day they’d do “Indie Hour,” where for an hour, they just shot random stuff for no reason, just to see what would happen.

>It was just a way for the crew of understanding, for now, we’re just going to do loads of random shit. Don’t try to ask, we can’t explain. It would just be things I thought were a beautiful moment or ‘This is a great idea’ and a lot of the stuff in the trailer ended up through that process.

Such as the shot of Jyn turning in the tube, which Edwards explained:

>We finished a shot and [Felicity Jones] was just walking to the next shot, which was at the end of the tunnel. And as she walked, someone switched the lights on and the way they turned on they went *clickclickclick* like this. Someone called her, and she just turned around a little bit and I was like, “Oh my god that looked great.” And I was like “Stop stop stop!” and everyone stopped. “This will take 10 seconds, just roll camera”....Then obviously 10 seconds turned into a half hour, and we probably did 17 takes. So that ended and there’s that feeling of, “Well what was that for?” And I was like, “I don’t know, that just felt good.”

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xw08GQw0hBI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

From there Edwards says he forgot about it. Until marketing was looking at dailies to pull shots for a trailer, and picked that one. He was glad to see it, even though he knew it wasn’t the movie.

He said there was a similar story was with this shot of Ben Mendelsohn. It took place after a scene. He was done, but just didn’t call cut, and just filmed him. “He had a very good vibe about him,” Edwards said.

Edwards admitted that this method of filmmaking wasn’t exactly easy. It made editing very difficult because they had too much footage. “It’s like running around the supermarket,” he said. “You’re just grabbing everything. People say ‘What are you going to cook?’ and you go, ‘I don’t know. The shop closes in 10 minutes and we’re not coming back in, grab everything.’”

This explains why so much, especially of that first teaser, isn’t in the movie.

So this is what movies waste their millions of budget on

Kubrick must be spinning in his grave

So they shot a bunch of stuff to see what looked good... and then cut it all?

DAMAGE
C
O
N
T
R
O
L

DCONTROL?

Rogue 1 was shit, we all know this.

>IMPLYING WE PAID TO SEE MOUSESHIT
CUK

This shot is too much "It's done, I finally became Rogue One: A Star Wars Story" to the movie

really makes you think.

?

Would JJ even do this shit?

It's because they usually don't have a finished script when they start filming. So they just film as much shit as possible and then try to slap together a movie with what they have. It's called shit filmmaking. They are literally spending hours a day with multiple takes trying to get a cool looking shot to use in a trailer

oh fuck me.

ís this fake?

I assumed she was Rogue One, like it's a codename or something. What is it really?

I remember Seth Rogen's "sound's like a sexy hamburger" line wasn't in Superbad either

>Every day they’d do “Indie Hour,” where for an hour, they just shot random stuff for no reason, just to see what would happen.
Man. Gareth Edwards is such a fucking pleb. Can you imagine working for this guy?
>OOOOOOKAY EVERYBODY! IT'S INDIE HOUR! GO STAND IN WEIRD PLACES AND PLAY WITH THE LIGHTS!!

>make great looking shots
>use these to sell the movie
>not put them in the final product
False advertisement bullshit, damn kikes.

It's the callsign for the ship.

for you

Kubrick was a hack.

No wonder the studio did 90% of reshoots. Because 90% was trash. Gareth is such a hack

haha woah it's almost as if he was making a movie!!

>waste time and money
>i-it was on purpose!
>it felt good!

They were essentially making b roll for fun and it got used. Boo ahoo

>what is b-roll footage?

If only you knew how little footage makes it into any final movie, ever.

good thread op

>got used
Yeah to trick people and make them pay for a movie that wouldn't live up to expectations.
>Boo ahoo
The election's over now you can fuck off.

Looks like the same studio. Pinewood?

I'm wondering about the shot with the TIE Fighter coming up in front of her..

(You)r mum's a hack. (You)'re proof of that. Happier now?

>it just felt good

Kek disney must love this guy pissing away their money on shoots that wont be in the movie

>If only you knew how little footage makes it into any final movie, ever.
Fucking Sup Forums I swear, you know the tinniest bit of how movies are made and you think you have the whole process worked out, but just come across as a tard. B roll isn't used to sell the film in trailers normally you mong. Most trailer footage is taken directly from the cut of the film that's going to go into the final cut, not from extra shit they shot for a laugh, stuff that was cut from the movie or test footage or anything like that. Those shots the OP described were never going to be in the movie, they were shot for fun, so it's disingenuous and false advertising to put them in the trailer knowing full well that it wont represent the final product.

i bet Harmony Korine and Terrence Malick do this shit all day

>creativity is regimented

In a weird way, this makes me think about how being a director gives one such power over people. I'd go crazy for that rush of domination.

I assume she would have destroyed it with her blaster, but they probably cut that out so she'd be less of a 'mary sue'

i actually came into theater just because of this single shot. well i guess i'll wait for blu-ray

Yup a movie where cut out the best looking shots.

>Most trailer footage is taken directly from the cut of the film that's going to go into the final cut
Nope.

It was made in the posthouse during indie CG hour! Since it took about 30 hours to composite the tie fighter that single shot was worked on across 30 different days!

Or because it might have been a little too over the top. In the film she is attacked by a TIE that probably results in the same action beat.

This shot and the line over it. "What will you become?" seemed to imply that there was an internal struggle in Jyn about joining the empire or not. But instead we got nothing of the sort.

>Fucking Sup Forums I swear, you know the tinniest bit of how movies are made and you think you have the whole process worked out

Stop making yourself look retarded. You've done enough.

has to be.

tru

>Yeah to trick people and make them pay for a movie that wouldn't live up to expectations.
>SHE DIDN'T TURN ROUND WHEN DA PRITTY LIGHTS CAME ON

>use footage that could spoil the movie or nice looking footage that means nothing to hype the movie

kys wul bby

And that's what pissed me off about the entire story. I wanted it to be about what brings good people to help the empire. I wanted her to ensure the death star's effectiveness, maybe out of resentment toward her father for leaving her.

Really I just want Star Wars movies for adults, but we'll never get that with Disney.

>Nope.
Yep.

I was really bummed out that we didn't see that in the final cut. I was hoping the TIE would rise ready to blast her at Krennic's order, and then an X-Wing would strafe it.

If you really think Rogue One wasn't adult for Star Wars and that it's a kid's film you're the one that's being delusional. They originally filmed an ending where Jyn and Cassian make it out, but Disney approved of them killing everyone off as originally planned by the studio.

>Use narration and particular shots in your trailer to imply a very particular type.
>Final product is completely different to this
>He's okay giving money for that
I bet you preorder videogames.

>he thinks I pay for media
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HA.

but he didn't exactly piss it away, did he

still, fuck this guy

he probably knew that the script was boring af so he sought to make some completely unrelated shit that looked iconic and would look good in a trailer

Death is in every live-action Disney movie and most of the animated ones. Death isn't adult; it's fairytale stuff.

Turning the hero into a villain by the end, now that's adult. That's some shit you have to explain to a kid.

>Turning the hero into a villain by the end, now that's adult. That's some shit you have to explain to a kid.
That was the entire plot of Episode I-VI, and no one will call you out for saying any of those movies were kid's films. If you think that's the bar for adult material, I don't think you really understand what makes a movie a kid's film or an adult's film.

>he watches camrips, probably on his cheap laptop
>thinks his opinions on films is worth anything
>think his life is worth anything
>hasn't killed himself yet, but will probably think about it when trying to go to sleep

Wow what a waste of money

In the TFA trailers we see Luke touching R2D2 with his robot hand. So obviously they shot more stuff with Luke.

That whole scenario was cut from the film.

Lies.

I have it from a very good souvre that scene was supposed to be athe real ending of the film.

>Darth Vader has brutally killed every team member trying to get to Jyn and the plans

> he finally catches up to her and breaks through the door

> Jyn turns around (shot in trailer) and tries to halt Darth bader bravely while plans almost upload

> she dies but not before plans are submitted

> vader tries to catch ship with plans ( One Leia is in)

But the reshoots the film with Vader never landing on planet

Rlm fag please go away and hi watch tfa again

Jokes on you. You're right on all accounts

I know, right? It's like they're treating film like it's an art form or something.

That was apart of the flashback vision thing Rey has and it's in the movie

>Reshoot half the fucking movie because the Disney Gestapo stepped in
>Pretend all the shit that got cut was totally never supposed to be in the movie anyway

>says the guy who watches capeshit and Star Wars

It never ends

uh, you don't get to bring droids

Oh Ok.
TFA was so incredibly forgettable,

>tries to halt Vader
So they didn't want it in because she would've been immediately killed because Vader wouldn't stop and talk to some random woman? And she would've stood 0 chance against him.

DCONTROL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>this thread
I know Sup Forums is full of underage pleb redditfags but gawdamn, it's like you've never made a movie in your life

>gets called out for being retarded
>"no u are le retarded!
Fuck off.

I think it's the most memorable Star Wars. But that's probably because I've seen it 5-6 times and only seen the other Star Wars movies twice.

So he had no vision, it was just "let's just shoot a bunch of shit and see what looks cool, I guess"?

What about the fact that they did a shitton of reshoots?

>he literally makes a "no u" while calling out someone else out for the same thing

>"It’s like running around the supermarket,” he said. “You’re just grabbing everything. People say ‘What are you going to cook?’ and you go, ‘I don’t know. The shop closes in 10 minutes and we’re not coming back in, grab everything.’”

Do Americans really do this?

Well yeah basically kinda the whole point. Someone standing up to overwhelming threat for greater good.

The hallway scene in which vader destroyed the rebels at the end with lightsaber is what it would have been like. Disney thought it was too vilont to kill main heroes that way so decided to make thier deaths more heroic. But that scene was too good to scarp so they reshot it with random soldier rebels we don't care about.

Have you guys never heard about the Cardington Hangars before?

They are two massive aircraft hangars in England, built to house blimps during the first world war. They are used for filming now because it's rare to find such massive indoor areas you can film in. You can build huge sets and stay indoors which is why they are used. The original star wars used them as the yavin base, so when they filmed rogue one they just went back and used them again.

The original batman used them for the showdown between Batman and the joker, and christopher nolan used them for all three of his batman movies as well. He filmed inside on sets to create the narrows part of gotham in Batman begins and filmed outside with the plan for that famous shot of CIA.

You are 100% correct user ignore the trolls and fanboys

Why are disney so fucking shit? Why are these movies successful? Why are normies so idiot?

That doesn't sound fun to you?

Honestly, I loved Rogue One, but I was also disappointed because I thought Jyn would be a rebel who went rogue and joined the Empire, especially since there's that delicious Forest voiceover that wasn't even in the movie.

*all counts
Get it over with.

my god

the lore becomes even deeper

>very good source
That's a strange description of "imagination".

>do Amerisharts do this
We sure do – just substitute "run" for "drive mobility scooter quickly".

This is the sort of interesting post that gets completely ignored on Sup Forums

t. reddit cuck meme fag desu

Thanks user.

It's a cracked-tier factoid about some fucking set, shut up you runt

>knowledge is bad
Who hurt you?

This is not unusual.

Paul Thomas Anderson does stuff like this - He shot entire sequences for Boogie Nights that weren't intended for the film. On Magnolia he drove around with John C. Reilly filming a fake COPS episode. It wasn't meant for the final cut.

Kurosawa had a guy he called "The Monkey Camera" whose job was to run around filming random shit during scenes or in between scenes, and he'd look through it later during editing to see if there was anything in there he liked.

It's a good way for the crew to practice and improvise. Like actors during rehearsals (back when they used to do actual, extended proper rehearsals for movies).

That's why Coppola used to film his rehearsals.

Of course, there is Terrence Malick at the extreme end - See the trailer for The Thin Red Line which features actors, stars, and mountains of expensive looking shots that are nowhere to be found in the film.

And also this funny moment;

youtube.com/watch?v=xw08GQw0hBI

Other movies have wasted more for less.

At least in this case the marketing team was able to squeeze some value out of it.