Hey anglos

Why the FUCK is iron pronounced like "IORN" but irony is just "IRONY"?

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/education/shortcuts/2016/jun/07/marjerine-or-marg-arine-how-the-bbc-taught-us-to-talk-proper
vocaroo.com/i/s19ouXZesGSd
en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/File:en-us-iron.ogg
youtu.be/ClBujJcpvv0
en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/iron
vocaroo.com/i/s0d6MLihvKrI
youtu.be/cSP_7_wHU80?t=24
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

because different people have different accents

it's not ay rony

it's ay on ny

I say
>Eye-Yearn

And depending on the sentence
>Eye-yearn-knee
>eye-ruh-knee

So, Idk, OP

Irony is "I RO NEE"
Iron is not pronounced like the same word without the last vowel. Your language is shit.

Stop butchering the English language, you dirty fucking mongrels.

>Eye-Yearn
>eye-ruh-knee
Exactly this

I dont get your point, irony is the same sound as iron just with a y on the end

Because its like's rayyyyyyne

eye-uhn
eye-uhn-ee

It isn't
/ˈaJɚn/
/ˈaJ.ɹə.ni/

bait

>uhn
What do you fucking retards have against the letter r?

Ooo-ggaa
Ooo-ggaa-boo

the english language just does what the fuck it likes, do you really not get this by now

It's not like other anglos know how to pronounce the letter R. Even Mexicans are better at it.

english is truly a retarded language

theguardian.com/education/shortcuts/2016/jun/07/marjerine-or-marg-arine-how-the-bbc-taught-us-to-talk-proper

>It's not like other anglos know how to pronounce the letter R

scots know how to

True enough

We're literally the best at pronouncing any kind of R

Coquistadors taught you well considering your ancestors didn't have it.

Nah you're still a little soft but it's pretty good.

You've never walked down the streets in Helsinki and hear an angry Finnish scream Perkele!. The hardest R you'll ever here.

t. used to live there.

*Hear
I am tired

>implying everyone is a nah*a shit
Muh ancestors are Mayos and Yaquis, both languages roll their Rs
Got any examples?

I guess I could walk to the computer and vocaroo it if you really care enough. Do you care enough?

I'll fall asleep any moment now tbqh

I gotchu senpai vocaroo.com/i/s19ouXZesGSd

martti
vertti
kortti
tarra
hyrrä
mirri
jarru
manner
penger
haltiajar

raparperipiirakka

ärrän kierrän orren ympäri

I say iron desu.

>raparperi
:3

TMO rabarber

Isn't iron pronounced as /airon/ and irony as /aironi/?

In my head it is.

>tfw no raspy voice finnish bf

It's hard not to since everyone always said "airön meiden". If it wasn't for Teenage dirtbag by Wheatus I probably never would've realized it

No.

Se on aiörn. en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/File:en-us-iron.ogg

Cool voice
Sounds like most people pronounce their Rs here 2bh
youtu.be/ClBujJcpvv0

Goodnight lovely people

But Iron is supposed to be pronounced as airon, isn't it. Why wouldn't it. Sounds retarded to say iorn.

Yeah Spanish has a hard rolling R as well. It makes it pretty easy to learn to pronounce. English is very hard since it has tons of soft consonants and weird sounds that just seem very non-specific to us.

Such a cool language

Jaaha. Depends on the accent.

Nope. If the above link didn't work for you click the play button here: en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/iron

Brits do the same, it's not a burger thing.

are you cute?

That's very weird. But I'm guessing it's just something that came later due to retardedness?

For you

If you look anything like the Swedish speaking Finns on the west coast......yeah you're fine!

>tfw no qt finlandssvensk gf

can you say "::::::dddDDD bepin"

Because English used to be a consistent Germanic language until Latin shit it up during Roman times, Old Norse shit it up during the Danelaw, and Old French shit it up during the Norman Conquest.

I don't expect you to be knowledgeable about Anglo history but this is basic fucking events. 1066 is the most important year for England and English.

>Stop butchering the English language, you dirty fucking mongrels
N.Americans aren't the ones who butchered the language. That would be most of the Brits and their later offspring Bruce.

Pretty safe to assume so. I bet if you look at how people speak in northern isles of britain you'll find something more logical. They speak more like the old english was and how it is still spelled.

I get the vocabulary from romance languages, but how did they manage to fuck up the spelling-pronouncing relationship?

Those rare sounds are only heard in the wild where jonnes drink ES

vocaroo.com/i/s0d6MLihvKrI

oh no

>tfw no ES

>but how did they manage to fuck up the spelling-pronouncing relationship?
because French, Latin, Old English, and Old Norse had entirely different phonetic systems? this isn't a difficult concept

>vocaroo.com/i/s0d6MLihvKrI

holy fuckng shit I can't stop laughing

But French, Latin and Old English aren't that different from German. All of them have a pretty clear connection between spelling and pronouncing.
Is Norse super fucked up or what am I missing?

whe inherited a lot of our phonetics from iberians and basques and they had non indo-european languages

so you basically are called by the mexicas that have nothing to do with you, that sucks

your phonetics come from latin

>this coming from fucking STRAYA
lmaoing @ ur lyfe

i-ruhn
i-ruh-knee

You unironically mean 'ironic' instead of 'irony' right?

It's a bit more complicated than that. A good chunk of Spanish's phonetics is fairly recent, I can give you guys some examples if you want.

Do you unironically not understand the difference between 'ironic' and 'irony'?

It's mainly due to the Great Vowel Shift and some deletions here and there. Bullshit like C vs. K, G vs. GU are fairly minor.

Yeah, that's why we have the same vowels as the iberians and basques or don't tell apart the b/v

We simplified six phonemes into three around the 17th century, creating the /x/ and the TH sounds. The ñ also didn't exist in latin. Not sure if it existed in vulgar latin considering italians laso have this sound.

There's also the vowel breaking: /ɔ ɛ/ > /we je/ . AFAIK Spanish was the only language that managed to simplify Vulgar Latin's 7 vowels system.

On the : Spanish might not have phonemic length, but there are multiple leftovers here and there like vs. . However this is a fairly natural development in Romance languages, not something exclusive to Spanish.

m8 at least we speak the proper UK english, we dont butcher it, we just add our own slang and idioms

Because we haven't updated English spelling systematically for centuries. Sorry Finnbro.

'irony' is unironically pronounced differently for the 'iron' part, whereas 'ironic' is not.

I unironically mean the other way round, lack of sleep was unironically the issue here

wew lad

>proper UK - improper USA English
>the language is divided into British English and American English
>both are standardized

t.Straya

Becasue fuck you, non anglo scum

We have a Frankenstein monster of a language and made it the international language of trade.It's illogical, confusing, the rules change, and there is no way to know how to speak it without just knowing random things about 1000's of words

And there is nothing you can do about it

>we

>and there is no way to know how to speak it without just knowing random things about 1000's of words

Like you have to know 1000's of kanji pronounciations to be able to speak japanese?

ironic and irony are pronounced the same way. look at the pronounciation guide on wiktionary.

I actually don't mind because I've lived in anglo countries and my English is excellent for a foreigner so it just gives me more room to shine. High skill ceiling like the kids say.

>Why the FUCK is iron pronounced like "IORN"

It's not iorn, but iən or iərn. Remember, ə is the most frequently occuring vowel in the English language.

I know. It just fucks me up when a language has pronounciations that aren't part of the alphabet.

>iron pronounced like "IORN"
it's not

Me too. I didn't know ə featured in Slovenian until I was 28 years old. They never taught me it at school, and I thought I was talking in dialect everytime I used it.

it's pretty common in europe, actually.

Ai pörsenälli häff dißaided tu dschast rait Inglisch the wäi thät ai wud rait Dschörmen (with ä fju ädäptäischns tu fit the längwidsch better)
sieh:
ajen
airenie

It is if you don't want to google phonetic alphabets.

it's not pronounced how it's spelt though. how do you pronounce knife?

naif

I understand Iron isn't exactly iorn, but if you had to describe the pronounciation using only the regular alphabet what do you think would be closer than iorn?

ok maybe iern, point was I just wanted to emphasize the lack of audible R after I by turning around the letters

most people would pronounce it "eye-un"

Yeah but they don't sey EE YY EE UU NN.

This is a finnish state of mind.

This is why using ñ,ó,û is good, so people know how to pronounce stuff.

Or you could create an entire language around the rule that every word is pronounced as a simple succession of pronouncing letters if you're autistic enough.

wat

youtu.be/cSP_7_wHU80?t=24
this is how we pronounce it, americans tend to pronounce the r slightly more but still not fully

English didn't properly exist around Roman times, and even its descendants wouldn't have been influenced by Latin as the speakers weren't civilised by the Romans.

I know how it's pronounced, that was never the issue.

is the issue that english not very consistent in its pronunciations

The issue is that English is inconsistent in its inconsistencies.

Wew you managed to keep the thread alive

Wasn't me, I even got a good 8 hours of sleep.

Isn't it night there right now?