Thoughts on Twin Fantasy re-release?

I would give it a 7. It was pretty good but it was not needed at all. The original's cheapness and lo-fi aesthetic was what kept it from being cliche indie rock.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=K5mHnNKlxSg)
1traitdanger.bandcamp.com/releases
ufile.io/7b6yr
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

idk man not many albums can make an hour of music go by so quickly. I like it a lot 9/10.

the lo-fi aesthetic was a gimmick

durrrrr

DO YOU HAVE SOMETHING AGAINST DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOGS

true

I don't think the re-release was cliche indie rock most of the time. Some songs were bound to be that way from the start, but the re-working of it really fleshed out some of the songs way more. The new Famous Prophets (Stars) is definitely the highlight of the album. It's the most changed and most improved. It's kind of objectively the way better version of the two for sure. Everything else is up for debate, but I have yet to hear anyone actually argue that the original was better for that case.

10/10, just like the original
and that's not the remake cover dèsu

>t. brainlet

True, if you liked it more because it was distorted you're a pleb

I mean it obviously was, but at least it had something unique about it. The new one sounds like every rehash rock album out there, but to be fair the synths add so much to the album.

Shit you right I thought it was

Will this shirt help me find some nice young Satanist with braces?

funny story with the shirt
I accidentally ordered a small, messaged them asking for an xl replacement and apparently they were sold out, so they're sending me a large
Is it sad that this was my trigger to finally lose some fucking weight? been jogging and cutting carbs for the past like three days. I want to fit in this shirt and my old band shirts so bad

the new iceage is better than this crap desu

Galvanism is gone, it's shit.

The thing that really irks mr is that the original being lo-fi used to ooze the concept that anyone could make music with the little they have. A studio wasnt necessary, a band not needed just a passion for music something to record it on. The fact that will remade it kinda throws that in the dirt. If in wills mind his best work was just not good enough or was too naive sends the message 'hey your lo-fi project will always be inferior' message which is garb

Whatever it takes my dude. It's a pretty dope shirt, it's worth the work

Is it just me or Will sounds like a fucking chad here, in the first release he sounds like someone from /r9k/

Anyway, I kinda prefer the Sober to Death from the first release than here. The instruments sound better then

I'm really digging the new version of the album, but the original Sober to Death is much better. It really sucks because that was my favorite track.

Exactly how I felt, esp the lead on the intro and the isntrumentals at the end. It felt more emotional

well he's been getting blown by three hot-ass indie chicks with questionable ages erry night for the past year nowm bruh bruh

he's a chad now

If that guy can be a chad then whats anyones excuse then huh

>chicks

But it will always be inferior, there's no reason to pretend.

The new "bodys" is terrible imo. Vocal performance is inferior and the new instrumental sounds like ass too. And the original isn't even on Spotify anymore, fuck this gay earth

>chicks

My favorite Indie-Rock album to come out this decade to be honest.

I think the fact that Will had so much time between 2010 and now to conceptualize the music in his head, and being able to capture his teenage-like emotions on record with fantastic vocal delivery without disappointed the old fans by completely abandoning a lo-fi aesthetic has really, really helped the inititial reaction to the record. But I think that overtime it’ll be an album that will age fantastically. Also, the 10+ min. Epics are something of unique art since not many bands can make indie rock songs build in Post-Rock type of intensity

I feel like some tracks from the original were better in the sense that will had a less refined but rawer voice, and production has kind of taken the edge out, but I still love the remaster and some songs came out almost objectively better - ie nervous young inhumans and famous prophets (stars)

Yeah Sober to Death definitely sounds better in the original

>chicks

This is the best thing I've heard in at least a year. Never heard the original.

Shitty cash-grab, probably planned by his label if anything. nearly every track has random and unnecessary chNged lyrics and/or instruments, and will’s singing sounds completely devoid of any emotion. People complained about his singing already sounding monotone, but I didn’t mind it on the original. The new one however sounds like he’s being forced to re-record against his will lmfao

The original one is one of my favorite records. The new one is decent but I'm not seeing myself listening to it a lot. I think the lo-fi production along with his original vocal delivery fit the lyrics better. The original sounds harsh and kinda cheap but also more personal and intimate which is the actual appeal for me.

That being said I don't mind the new version and I really like what he did with some of the songs.

Can you honestly explain this line of thinking? how the fuck is it a """gimmick?""" He literally had to record it that way because he didn't own/couldn't afford nicer equipment, like lots of artists. Not recording in a studio isn't a gimmick, it's a necessity for some artists, especially when starting out like Will was.

yeah, they are retards

I don't like how much less energetic he can sound overall. It works well for the end of the album as he enters the stage of disappointment with his idealization of his boyfriend who doesn't work out and the bittersweet conconclusion. But the beginning of the album, when his idealization is in full swing in the beginning, I feel like it could use a tad more energy, desu. I still really like the album as I liked the original a lot. I'm very excited to see it live later this year.

Oh I do wish he kept galvanism too :^(

*sigh*
No, there's clearly effects on many of the tracks to make them sound more dirty. You can tell because some instruments sound much "cleaner" than others

So apparently the Painstar was an object from a Cate Wurtz comic, that if you touched it, it would cause you to feel pain troughout your body for a split second, and that part was suposed to be in the original, but will decided not to, so it ended up in Disjecta Membra (youtube.com/watch?v=K5mHnNKlxSg) .

Also, does anyone know who is the voice talking in the end with the bible verse etc?

Try listening to the Will's earlier Bell Jar project and get back with me. Stop speaking out the ass about things you don't know about

>it was better when it recorded poorly
no?
>lo-fo aesthetic
it wasn't a conscious choice, they literally didn't have money for a proper studio recording.

New 1trait danger album juat cMe out on soundcloud. better than twin fantasy

Download link por favor

1traitdanger.bandcamp.com/releases

the old High To Death is so much better than the new one it's not even funny

completely unnecessary

It's kind of ass, honestly. The things that are great aren't really great, they REMAINED great from the original.

Will's influences have changed over the years and this is absolutely clear in his re-working of Cute Thing, where he sings "Give me Frank Ocean's voice and James Brown's stage presence." Cool, dude, they're both nice musicians but they have absolutely NOTHING to do with CSH.

This influence is mostly felt, for me, in Prophets. I liked the reworking a lot, it's the best on the album, maybe superior to the original, but, right at the very end, he throws that robotic, awkward lady voice reciting the entire theme of the album. It's something I'd expect to hear on a Kanye West record.

And I'm very sorry to say, but every single time Will rewrites a lyric, it comes off worse. Many lyrics sound like they weren't revised, and one in a few minutes, and there are a bunch of strangely put together, not really pleasantly harmonical ones, such as

>Did they tell you what happens when you touch it? Did they tell you what happens when you touch it?

And these are the songs I thought were completely butchered: My Boy, Sober to Death, High to Death and Bodys. The end.

This, but I really hate what he did with the first part.

This.

The old high to death is doo doo butt cheeks dude this new one is so much better

New my boy

NEW CUTE THING >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>old

>added Pain Star at the end of Famous Prophets

Jesus fuck some of this is seriously overproduced.

It's still neat to visit a record like this years later. I get where Will was coming from even if I do think it's a bit stupid to redo an old record like this.

It's not the worst thing I've ever listened to and it was alright but yeah, i definitely prefer the old version

Btw whoever said "My Boy would be better without all that spring reverb" when they started tracking this shit deserves to get dragged out into the middle of a field and told they're a terrible human being. Just absolutely disgusting.

What was even the point of remaking this album? There aren’t really that many changes, but all of them make things worse. He shoved a bunch of unnecessary drums everywhere. The new monologues are cringy and unemotional. He sung with less range and energy. The new spoken word samples are unnecessary and excessive. I’m really starting to think remaking this was a condition of his contract with Matador and not something he actually wanted to do.

Doing a reissue of Twin Fantasy was probably the condition in his contract and Will probably opted to rerecord it because the quality on the original is pretty bad

I like it more. 8/10 for now i guess

cute thing has nirvana vibes

I'm wearing mine right now.

:)

Car Seat Headrest - Twin Fantasy (2018)

Indie Rock

ufile.io/7b6yr

>Oh I do wish he kept galvanism too :^(
Yeah, but I like the new spoke word too.

>it's almost Halloween, I have done shit this year.

t. me every year.

anyone who got the cd: did they change anything at all on the 2011 version? if so i'm pissed

Hey hey HEY.

I don't mind being called out for being a faggot or letting my taste be influenced by other reviewers....

But don't call out the fact that I make excuses to keep from bettering myself. It's all I have left. If I don't have comfort then... Then I don't have anything else user

Will hit his peak in Anchorite (Love You Very Much). It's a shame Monomania in general is so underrated (because you actually had to pay for it in the past).

He sometimes can fall in love a little too hard with his own intellect and create songs that are long, full of references and chord changes but don't really say much at all. Anchorite, on the other hand, was the perfect follow-up and emotional conclusion to Twin Fantasy's storyline, with a simple song construction but lyrics that were so deeply personal they could only be Will's and not borrowed from Frank Ocean or anyone else. That is, to my money, the most beautiful break-up song in this decade still.

>Yes, I know in your eyes we were never really lovers as such
>So I hope that you find someone who loves you very much
>And I hope that you find someone you can love just as much
>[instrumental break]
>Such a draaaaaaaaaaag
>It's such a drag...

sober to death got butchered, but everything else was good

My friends and you fags have gotten mad at me for liking the new Nervous Young Inhumans why is this?

I like the upbeat sounding guitars in the start and throughout the song.

Hard mode: no using Galvanism as a reason.

Monomania is his best by leaps and bounds.

He completely changed tempo of the song and, thus, they way it is sung, which makes the lyrics that were written specifically for the previous version sound awkward and lose their kind of paranoid/frenetic feeling.

Actually agreed, incredible shame almost no one heard it. It's amazing through and through.

if I like Teens of Denial will I like this? I haven't listened to will's earlier stuff

Also, that same paranoid/frenetic feeling also went together perfectly with the original ending, in which he akwardly tried to explain his reasoning behind writing the song to his lover.

Now, most of it doesn't make a lot of thematic sense, and on top of that he adds a long spoken word section that was already done better in Costa Concordia, by his own self.

teens of denial sucks

False. No Pink Floyd interpolation, less drowned out and awkward new skit at the end

that doesn't answer my question but thanks for your reply i guess

>if I like Teens of Denial will I like this?

Yes

shit taste

Yes, or at least I hope you would.

Meant to reply to

he has v thick eyebrows

thank you anons ill give it a spin after I finish teens of style

I love Will Tostito as much as the next guy ITT but while Monomania does contain some of his best written songs they are brought down by questionable production choices, I don't blame Will for trying to experiment on that record I mean it led to him eventually getting that synth pop edge right, that last chorus on the reworked Maud Gone is hands down one his finest moments

It also doesn't help the fact that Monomania is stuck between two superior records

That being said Anchorite fucking destroys me

don’t even bother with ToS yet since you haven’t heard his earlier stuff

Best to just dive in to this and then listen to the rest in chronological order imo

He took out him going "DO DO DO DO DO DO DO DO" during the chorus and I hate that

Can we talk about his numbered albums?

I really like portrait of the artist as a young fag, dickless heart, the beach songs and I CAN TALK WITH MY EYES SHUT.

Only song I'd call "questionable" on the record is Sleeping With Strangers due to being unremarkable, but then again, Twin Fantasy has NYI, so it's even.

All the others are pretty good to great, including Souls which has some of his best lyrics ever and is overall one of my favorite songs of his.

>Because I view life as something that I don't think I'll get away with, and you think that we've already gotten away.

If anyone wants a cover to differentiate between the two Twin Fantasies, here!

nice

love this

New Bodys and New High to Death are incredible.

The OG is free on bandcamp

I’m actually pretty conflicted about famous prophets. I’d almost certainly agree with you, except that it removed (or rather separated) probably my favorite part of the record. You probly know the part I’m talking about, the “never set foot in this town again” part. Otherwise, it’s phenomenal. Maybe I’ll get used to it.

I CAN TALK is such an underrated track goddamn

YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU CANNNNNNNN TAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALK

sleeping with strangers is the best song on mono

>guy in my class has a twin fantasy tattoo

make him your beach bf.

fuck his bootyhole

I think the fact that songs can still come through as strong on this candy-produced redo shows that the strength is in his songwriting, and that regardless of how its dressed up they are still good songs. In that sense, production's a gimmick. I liked the lo-fi gimmick more, I can tie it into his struggle as an artist with limitations, and I think that's fine. Otherwise, it's not that remarkable, just another good album from Will.

Sleeping With Strangers is great fuck you

this

galvanism was never actually there, really