Why were grunge musicians so incapable of keeping their shit together?

Why were grunge musicians so incapable of keeping their shit together?

Casualties:

>Kurt Cobain blows his brains out following a prolonged and very public struggle with drug addiction, depression and his own conflicted impulses
>Layne Staley becomes a shut-in following his ex-fiancee's death, absolutely obliterating himself with drugs for almost a decade before finally dying one of the ugliest deaths in rock music history
>Soundgarden break up at their creative and commercial peak, only to reunite for a lukewarm nostalgia circuit tour and comeback record before Chris Cornell offs himself as well
>Kristen Pfaff OD's just as Hole were on the verge of becoming huge

Near-casualties:

>Mark Lanegan eventually quits drugs after years of being a Cobain/Staley-tier addict and someone who a lot of people weren't expecting to still be alive by 2000
>Patty Schemel becomes a full-on homeless junkie for a while after quitting Hole in the late 90s, eventually cleaning up and getting her shit back together
>Mark Arm quits drugs in the mid-90s after years of almost routinely overdosing

Why were so many of the key figures in this particular pop phenomenon such dysfunctional fuckups? The big Britpop bands were just as decadent and excessive, and yet all of those people are still alive and well.

Speaking of which, were there any britpop musicians who died from an overdose or committed suicide?

Chester linkoln park

Not strictly Britpop but one of the Manic Street Preachers went missing and was never found.

Honestly I feel for Cobain. He had tremendous abdominal pain for years and doctors never worked out what was wrong with him. I don't really blame a guy for developing an addiction to strong opiates in those circumstances.

Drugs are bad kids. These guys have been out of it since they were 13, don't be like them because when you're 40 your head won't work right no matter what you do

Some friend of his said he pretended to have the pain as an excuse

I know they aren't technically grunge but Stone Temple Pilot's Scott Weiland's death often gets lumped in with those guys.

Guy from the Manics who "went missing," but they went Britpop after that
Lush's drummer hung himself
Blur's guitarist was an alcoholic for a while and tried to throw himself out of a 6th story window at a party on one occasion
There's a few others who had drug problems

Grunge still has an unusually high number of drug overdosers and suicides though, I can't think of many other genres that even come close

in britpop manics member went missing/suicide. elasticas singer was a heroine addict. so were her ex bfs damon albarn and brett anderson. the whole madchester scene was on drugs too. everyone was on drugs

Yeah maybe. Its been years since I read his diaries so it's maybe worth looking at with scepticism

All of those people had their substance use under relative control though. Damon Albarn had a fucking schedule for his smack use.

not genre, but early 70s had Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin

Patty Schemel killed Cobain

You forgot Andrew Wood
>overdose on heroin just when grunge was getting huge.

Art imitates life. Grungers were angry and depressed and did drugs, and the music reflects those emotions. Leads to more suicides and deaths than Britpoppers, who were more into "fame" and a hedonistic lifestyle. I doubt Damon, Liam, Bretty and Jarvis were ever that depressed.

I think it's possible he may have had some pain. I remember speculation that he had some type of disease that could cause stomach pain or whatever. For the most part though he just exaggerated it and used it as an excuse to justify his drug use.

Once you're addicted you'll feel pain if you don't get it friend

Right, that's the other thing. The withdrawals for heroin can actually kill you. They cause immense pain. Eventually you'll just be using to avoid the withdrawal symptoms.

Not grunge, but how the fuck did this guy survive the 90's?

David Bowie

He came really fucking close to dying when he snorted heroin thinking it was coke while touring for The Fragile. I think that spooked him enough to go to rehab and take better care of himself.

Self-awareness and strong Rustbelt roots coupled with strong support base and no one who enabled him

Addiction is a symptom. Tront went about cleaning himself up, then stabilizing the root of the problem so that he didn't fall back into old habits unlike many 90's musicians before him.

the gym

Heroin causes stomach problems.

by being a manlet so he was left out of most of the fun/parties

How did they survive the Be Here Now sessions?

Grunge """"Musicians""""" are shit
Rock music is shit.
I could have saved rock after Cobain blasted his head apart
But I didn't
Nothing can stop me now.

A lot of the grunge suicides were from helicopter or abusive backgrounds, and a lot of them had been put on ritalin or similar things as children. The British bands weren't really like that

Fueled by pure hatred for one another.

This desu. Take Tront for example, he had a shit time having to live with his grandparents after his parents broke up, but they kept him off drugs and gave him direction and his parents were in the background not fucking with his head, just trying to get by. Early stability is key.

How would've he survived the 90s?