/classical/

Viola da gamba edition

>General Folder #1. Renaissance up to 20th century/modern classical. Also contains a folder of live recordings/recitals by some outstanding performers.
mega.co.nz/#F!mMYGhBgY!Ee_a6DJvLJRGej-9GBqi0A
>General Folder #2. is kill. rip Papillons
>General Folder #3. Mostly 20th century/modern with other assorted bits and pieces
mega.co.nz/#F!Y8pXlJ7L!RzSeyGemu6QdvYzlfKs67w
>General Folder #4. Renaissance up to early/mid-20th century. Also contains a folder of Scarlatti sonate and another live recording/recital folder.
mega.co.nz/#F!kMpkFSzL!diCUavpSn9B-pr-MfKnKdA
>General Folder #5. Renaissance up to late 19th century
mega.co.nz/#F!ekBFiCLD!spgz8Ij5G0SRH2JjXpnjLg
>General Folder #6. Very eclectic mix
mega.co.nz/#F!O8pj1ZiL!mAfQOneAAMlDlrgkqvzfEg
>General Folder #7. kill
>General Folder #8. The user who made this loves the yellow piss of DG on his face. Also there's some other stuff in here.
mega.nz/#F!DlRSjQaS!SzxR-CUyK4AYPknI1LYgdg
>Renaissance Folder #1. Mass settings
mega.co.nz/#F!ygImCRjS!1C9L77tCcZGQRF6UVXa-dA
>Renaissance Folder #2. Motets and madrigals (plus Leiden choirbooks)
mega.co.nz/#F!il5yBShJ!WPT0v8GwCAFdOaTYOLDA1g
>Debussy. There is an accompanying chart, available on request.
mega.co.nz/#F!DdJWUBBK!BeGdGaiAqdLy9SBZjCHjCw
>Opera Folder. Contains recorded video productions of about 10 well-known operas, with a bias towards late Romantic
mega.co.nz/#F!4EVlnJrB!PRjPFC0vB2UT1vrBHAlHlw
>Random assortment of books on music theory and composition, music history etc.
mega.nz/#F!HsAVXT5C!AoFKwCXr4PJnrNg5KzDJjw

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=u1kjFWrF4DM
youtube.com/watch?v=V4ffrqlNhDk&t=871s
youtube.com/watch?v=_3m4dyZVORc&t=264s
youtube.com/watch?v=2Q1BiQzNAqY
youtube.com/watch?v=VWaA0i-J_2g
youtube.com/watch?v=WnuyY_eEU6s
youtu.be/XKZ27HW8Q0k
youtu.be/0IIKrbVy4w8
youtu.be/Bi0xOOxusb8
youtube.com/watch?v=HikivegUhTc
youtube.com/watch?v=9_7loz-HWUM
youtube.com/watch?v=w3Cj867P2Y8
youtube.com/watch?v=uxiqi1SMhaI
youtube.com/watch?v=h1JxTDGxZ6s
youtube.com/watch?v=OrSan8KBG9E
youtube.com/watch?v=KthV2AwQmOM
youtube.com/watch?v=ihx5LCF1yJY
youtube.com/watch?v=YQCtq-t0F8U
youtube.com/watch?v=9G7ghh1D5v4
youtube.com/watch?v=HNG_0bwvVxw
youtube.com/watch?v=JEY9lmCZbIc
youtube.com/watch?v=qVn2YGvIv0w
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Marais

youtube.com/watch?v=u1kjFWrF4DM

You Nigger

youtube.com/watch?v=V4ffrqlNhDk&t=871s

youtube.com/watch?v=_3m4dyZVORc&t=264s

this is the real thread

t Outed for gay because he hates german qt threads

Is /jazz/ the new /classical/? It seems like these were always less populated generals but now /classical/ is shrinking and I'm seeing more Jazz threads these days.

There's nothing more pretentious than listening to classical and jazz, so I only listen to classical.

I plan on keeping both threads bumped

Daily reminder that I was right

Somebody discovered the diminished scale. Cute

If i would wanted to use non-traditional notation, then i would use Penderecki's ones

By no means am I suggesting people start using it. I just said that the musical staff was retarded and anyone could come up with something easier to use.

why do so many pseuds pretend to enjoy renaissance music

What's wrong with renaissance music? Unless your real question is why do people "pretend" to like choral works?

youtube.com/watch?v=2Q1BiQzNAqY

essential viola works? I really love this instrument

That makes one of you b

youtube.com/watch?v=VWaA0i-J_2g
Why have I never heard of this guy?

youtube.com/watch?v=WnuyY_eEU6s

What

Don't have any friends into classical, so I'll ask here.

Is Autechre really as complex as (non-art music) people make it out to be? Though since they're very drum-heavy I don't know if they fit well with classical style analysis in the first place? Someone educate me.

no, complexity mainly comes down to subtlety and large-scale stuff. Playing a lot of polymeters and exotic scales is the stupid man's version of "complexity". I guarantee you there is no invertable counterpoint in Authechre.

>subtlety and large-scale stuff
What do you mean, exactly?

They do some really cool stuff with microtones and polyrhythms but nothing more radical than your typical post-1960s academic composer would do

Stuff you wouldn't likely pick up on a first listen or by just listening necessarily at all

Well, that's not that clear.
Autechre's music has a lot going on, you could (many people probably would) miss things on a first listen, and there's probably aspects of Autechre's music you wouldn't notice unless you looked at their Max/MSP patches, kind of like how certain things might only be clear in notation.

Or maybe not, I don't know.

Whats the best symphony to listen to while enjoying nature?
>besides The Four Seasons

>more radical
What would you consider more radical? Like, Cage, or something?

Mozart.

>viola
Oh god

All other movements can convey a wide range of emotions but serialism can only sound spoopy. That's why it sucks.

>All other movements can convey a wide range of emotions
>art is first and foremost about conveying emotions
Doesn't have to be the case

Also lots of popular and traditional music forms can express all sorts of emotions, but it doesn't mean they're good.

What did he mean by this?

How does /classical/ feel about Keith Emerson? His music has acted as a jumping off point for me to kick off my newfound interest in classical compositions.
youtu.be/XKZ27HW8Q0k
youtu.be/0IIKrbVy4w8
youtu.be/Bi0xOOxusb8

People who think he was actually good also think Spring was the best movement of the Four Seasons.

Beethoven 6 obvi

unironically 4'33

>t Rocksist who cant into /classical/

what have you listened to after this meme music

>heard a couple of minimalist pieces
>Clapping Music, In C, Rainbow in Curved Air
>they were all interesting and enjoyable
>concerts are cheap here in general so I get most of my classical exposure live
>minimalists don't seem be very popular in Europe, I almost never hear them live
>see that an orchestra is performing a minimalist piece
>get hyped and go to the concert

It was Glass, Symphony 11
It was the musical equivalent of cotton candy
It was an aural holocaust

Can someone explain who is this garbage for? This is so unbelievably substanceless no dedicated classical listener would enjoy it. But it's forty fucking minutes long, so no non-classical listener would enjoy it either.
Am I dumb? How can music be this bad?

> gf: "So who's your favorite pianist user?"
> me: "I like Chop-pin'! "
> gf didn't even go down on me that night. . .

Philip Glass is mostly good for his avant memery so stuff like North Star and Einstein on the Beach are nice. But yeah his 'serious classical' stuff is crap imo

>shitalism isnt popular in the land where the Gods music came from
>I'm hyped to see Phartlip Ass Gimpony twenty pee
t committer of Blasphemy

Fuck, despite the trauma I'm still kind of interested in Einstein. Is there a good video recording?

I repent, I repent, I didn't know what I was doing

youtube.com/watch?v=HikivegUhTc

I've listened to it user, it's pretty boring. You'd do better to listen to Feldman's Second String Quartet than Glass's "opera"

Huh, it sounds a bit better than the symphony, at least judging by a few minutes of it.
But, yeah, who has four and a half hours for this shit? If I'm feeling that masochistic I could rewatch Satantango or Turin Horse instead

You are forgiven if you take 1 of the 4 operas in the Ring Cycle. Preferably all 4

yeah I went to a concert with consisting of glass's string quartets and a bunch of film music wannabe compositions and I have to say the glass was by far the most boring thing on the program
einstein is interesting to me because of its over the top sleek postmodern design. glass himself acknowledges that no one in their right mind would want to stay totally concentrated on a person abstractly walking up and down the stage for four hours and you're welcome to sleep through sections, walk in and out, etc. would still be an interesting experience going to a performance i think

I do like that, but I do think it need conplete concentration to enjoy the music. The opera is gay as fuck. It pales to other operas. Also Ass in general is trassh

Autechre was done better by Stockhausen in the late 50s, so no. They're 60 years late and not even doing a good job - all while having much much better equipment to produce music than the guys in the late 50s and 60s did.

>Philip Glass is mostly bad

ftfy

Stockhausen never made a single thing you can groove to

yeah he wasn't interesting in providing plebs something to dance to. He was interesting in creating an experience for intelligent people who didn't mind being challenged by new and unusual music.

Stockhausen sounds too much like a product of his time, much like Autechre will in 20 or 30 years time. Such are the misfortunes of music that prides the recording over the written source.

Well then he has nothing to do with IDM. Also that's a common misconception. He was interested in making silly noises with electronic equipment. Anyone who likes Babbitt or Stockhausen or any of these wankers are the same idiots who listen to Faust.

Why is he so underrated bros? He's like Mozart, Schumann, and Brahms in One person

>One of the greatest songwriters ever
>Piano works are greatest alongside Liszt and Schumann
>Chamber works that rival and surpass Brahms
>Goat requiem
>dat Op. 115
>handsome and qt as fuuark

The more I listen to him, The more I realize he's one of the greatest of all time, and Imo better than Ravel and Debussy

Maybe Early Autechre, but the elseq series sounds futuristic as fuck

Friendly reminder to listen to the atonal works of Joonas Kokkonen.

no symphony but /our guy/ wrote the best music for nature

youtube.com/watch?v=9_7loz-HWUM

I think this is still the greatest masterpiece he ever wrote for the orchestra, only Jeux and Saint Sebastien compare. Ravel was right, its the most perfect thing since Mozart, and much like Tristan und Isolde, its the ending of one world and the beginning of another

>he has nothing to do with IDM
of course not. Autechre are trying to do what he did 60 years, but make it dance-able so they can still be "relevant"

>He was interested in making silly noises with electronic equipment
that's a common misconception

Writing music in minor is much easier than in major, why is this?

>/our guy/
>the last dozen threads we've roundly shit on him

better than being ignored

Its not, it just sounds more interesting to plebs in minor because there is more tension

That only makes him stronger faggot

youtube.com/watch?v=w3Cj867P2Y8

You need to understand the "feel" of major in order to write good music for it. If you just try to write major music and you've never experienced joy or loss in your life, you will fail. Major music at its best is all about beauty, peace, simplicity, comfort, etc, and can still include suffering, pain, yearning as well. If you haven't experienced these things, you will probably write cheap sounding trash when you try to write in a major key.

you can't convey suffering with ionian. I forbid you to prove otherwise.

You can do whatever you like in major keys using mixture, secondary dominants, suspensions, etc.

What is the greatest melody ever written and why is it K. 545? You know the one I mean.

beethoven's 7th sympony 2nd mvmt b theme is better

okay but that would be evoking minor at that point.

major keys contain minor chords. thats just how they work. You can make a major piece as bitter-sweet as you like

Not even the best Mozart melody desu

youtube.com/watch?v=uxiqi1SMhaI

Did Brahms cuck Schumann?

This is well established

ok I get it, yes, this melody, its beautiful, sure, wonderful. and yes, I get it, recycling the same musical meat is the essence of art, and the propensity of genius, but please do tell, why Chopin, why, for all of his genius, does his music, at its moments of deepest sorrow, still fail to incite the emotions within me that I instead must apply artificially to his music?

I hear what he's trying to do, and do it for him, instead of him just doing it for me, like say, the music of Bach or Beethoven does.

I fuck the woman, but god dammit man this is art, and god dammit, when its gonna be trying to tell me that music is a woman who entices the hearts of men with promises of flight and freedom, only to disappoint at the end with the severe timbral limitations of the instrument and a harmony caged within a system of 12 tones, god dammit, I want there to be thunder, the rage of 12 fucking gods, not a tilted head and look of confusion and bewilderment from some fucking Parisian idealist who has a country and culture that allows for real genuine relaxation, prewar remember boys.

as wonderful as the music of Chopin can be, he must have been a man of middle intellect, for his music, or perhaps as a compliment to the composer himself, and to speak of my most terrible fear directly, perhaps it is music that falls short. that the big B's took the lions share and left nothing but scraps for the romantics to slover over like 5th string dogs waiting for their turn to knot

>I fall short

I wish that were the case gentlemen

for reference, the theme to his 4th ballade. its fucking everywhere in chopins music, and as if that wasn't enough, it seems the next 4 generations after him just had to take their turn fucking the whore, only they had to use selfie sticks and social media to regurgitate the same 5 note theme

youtube.com/watch?v=h1JxTDGxZ6s

I blame the nose

look at this image of Horowitz holding to the dinosaur for dear fucking life. say what i will about music and her patrons, until you have grappled with what it is that would have a man tie himself so, the mother will not give you her sweetest milk.

reject the milk, leave the room, go outside: music isn't life: it is a facade upon infinity. and you will never get beyond the veneer while caged in time.

>Preferably all 4

The first minutes should be sufficient.
youtube.com/watch?v=OrSan8KBG9E
Repeat that gimmick over and over and it becomes a whole Glass opera.

OY, DE SUFFERINK!

Chopins music is an example of a name being more important than the art.

Just like no-one gives a shit about Petzold except that people thought he was Bach. The difference is Bach is actually good.

uh, huh?

was he the first numale composer?

lol it looks like eggman

Martinu is great!

youtube.com/watch?v=KthV2AwQmOM

>Such are the misfortunes of music that prides the recording over the written source.

The idea that music that's written down doesn't sound like a product of a time just because it's written down doesn't make much sense. At least Stockhausen and Autechre are engaging with the technology, an orchestra's not really going to change, and that is a kind of drawback.

>muh intelligent music
>grooves and drum rhythms don't matter because I can't feel it

>Autechre are trying to do what he did 60 years, but make it dance-able so they can still be "relevant"
that's a common misconception

Favorite things I've found lately. I'd appreciate recommendations for anything that sounds similar to the Vaughan Williams.

Ralph Vaughan Williams - Fantasia on a theme of Thomas Tallis
youtube.com/watch?v=ihx5LCF1yJY

Eugene Ysaye - Sonata no. 5
youtube.com/watch?v=YQCtq-t0F8U

Charpentier's Stabat Mater played on period instruments, Jordi Savall on gamba
youtube.com/watch?v=9G7ghh1D5v4

Actually, Savall on viol.

>that's a common misconception
not that common because I've the only person I've ever heard make that statement, and only a very small fraction of people even know who autechre are. So no, it is neither a misconception, nor a common viewpoint.

There isn't a good composer under 50. Prove me wrong. Or don't, what with me being right and all.

>inb4 Poly

To be fair, not even Vaughan Williams sounds like that piece usually. Its one of a kind. However a lot of film music seems modeled after it.

Dobrinka Tabakova. Not bad IMO.
youtube.com/watch?v=HNG_0bwvVxw

Don't mind me, just posting the single greatest work of the 20th century.

youtube.com/watch?v=JEY9lmCZbIc

eh, sounds filmy

Has votive serial music ever been done?

Well, obviously the original compositions of Emersons interpretations. This includes Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition, Maurice Ravel's Bolero, Ginastera's Piano Concerto No. 1, Bartok's Allegro Barbaro, et cetera. I also have a number of classical records that I listen to occasionally.

Emersons renditions of classical music are truly awful. His attempts at classical music are also terrible.

As a rock keyboardish he is pretty good, however the only work I consider essential is Tarkus.

V I O L A
D A
G A M B A
A
M
B
A

prove that you are a patrician with one post

EZ
youtube.com/watch?v=qVn2YGvIv0w

nice patrician taste