Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/user/TWINSANITY2010
youtube.com/watch?v=j0YyBp8ZyeE
analogicalforce.bandcamp.com/album/af009-guavid-wathorn-wieib-ep-2017
rareafx.wordpress.com/dave-noyze-syrobonkers-interview-november-2014/
vimeo.com/channels/severedheads/45357552
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

you bet your ass op

what is it with cornwall and GOAT electronic artists?

>*detunes synth*
>*plays breakbeat fast*
damn... truly... the genius of music

haha yes

how is that not genius?

>breakbeat
Breakbeats are used on like not even 10% of his total discography

I liked him a lot, but then I discovered TimHecker.

A genius of creativity within the boundaries of electronic music, yes. He didn't study any formal music theory so of course he's not busting out one fugue after another

sure why not

I fucking loathe selected 85-92 because of that one song die antwoord sampled. Ruined him for me forever, only listen to his lesser known music now. Fuck die antwoord, trash music

>other artist ruined this artist for me
???

It's one of my favorite albums but I'm pretty annoed that I can't listen to that song without singing in my head "Oh I love my ugly boy..."
I don't even hate Die Antwoord but it's literally impossibleto hear it now and not think of them.

you know, at one point he said he was producing a track every day. That means he has to come up with an idea, program his drums and synths, and master it the next morning probably. That's just insane to me. And they weren't just little kiddy tracks. They were almost all fleshed out pieces of music people still go crazy over to this day. it might not be for everyone, but you can't deny his genius

It may be irrational but those are my feels

check out twinsanity on youtube, im quite sure that its him

Want to hear something even crazier? This is from that really in depth interview he did with one of his close friends so it's not the usual fucking with the press type thing

>none of the tracks on syro were multi tracked into the computer , they were all recorded live to 2 track, which is kinda insane but the way i like it.
>Its done then , you have to get it right , theres no fixing it afterwards, theres no edits on any of the tracks apart from the Marchrom , which is made from multiple takes with a load of different Eventide 3000 dse fx.
>A fuck load of time was spent trying out things to see what worked with what, way too much time in fact for those particular tracks, Ive done tracks recently in hours that I like as much but in a different way, I still like spending yonks on things these days.

I consider such a state the pinnacle of human life we should all strive for, to have such determination and passion is amazing. Hopefully one day i’ll achieve something similar in some other field.

you're a fucking idiot

If he is he hasn't proven himself to be that in decades.

>twinsanity
the game?
link it pls

youtube.com/user/TWINSANITY2010

if you've ever attempted to make electronic music you will quickly realise how much of a genius RDJ is. He made music which people 25 years later still cannot replicate well.

What a stupid question. Of course aphex twin is a fucking genius.

yeah, but of course it's not for everyone. If you hear him talk he really sounds like a painter hunched over his pieces, almost in a trancelike rush to get everything out as soon as possible, before it's too late. But to reach that state you must be a master at what you do. And sadly real mastery of an art is only reached by the most gifted people. Oh well, at least I can do my very best to reach a level I can be proud of

Honestly this

Thats not him, its a german dude. But nice channel good playlists i’ll go through that tomorrow.

thanks

you don't just make a track like this: youtube.com/watch?v=j0YyBp8ZyeE
without being a genius.

link to full interview? haven't read that one i think.

If you want to hear a really convincing Aphex impression listen to this. This guy has the Tuss sound down perfectly. Unfortunately it lacks any originality and jut sounds like that, an impression, to me

analogicalforce.bandcamp.com/album/af009-guavid-wathorn-wieib-ep-2017

First two links on this page. Without a doubt the most through/interesting interview he has ever done. Disappeared from the net for some unknown reason, bu the archive here works.

rareafx.wordpress.com/dave-noyze-syrobonkers-interview-november-2014/

WHEN IS THE NEXT BOARDS OF CANADA ALBUM DUE??????????????
ontopic: yes

pretty decent but it just sounds like a guy that has a bunch of the same machines as richard

i got chin envy now

Thank you for the rare RDJ
I personally love Syro but a lot of people don't

more like aphex CHIN amirite

>tfw don't have tf

fuck he's such a nice and interesting dude. Reading that first paragraph about the acid trip is just wonderful. Thanks for that, it's fantastic reading what he has to say outside a professional context. Bit chaotic, but thoughtful at the same time, just like his music. thx

>What a stupid question. Of course aphex twin is a fucking genius.

/thread

>WHEN IS THE NEXT BOARDS OF CANADA ALBUM DUE??????????????

>literally just a mess of synths and random beats
>genius!

I like aphex twin, but this is a weak track

>he can't pick up on the patterns flying all over.
go back to deadmau5

I love aphex twin and his music can be v complex but this song is a mess

his ambient albums were much better

His ambiebnt albums are weak, not even ambient

He's like a more intelligent version of myself. I can sort of get a glimpse over the wall at times, but aphex takes me all the way there. It just clicks in my mind every fucking time. I can't get enough of it, I'm literally addicted to it. I can easily sit here for 10 hours a day and do nothing but listen to aphex and related artists.

why would you listen to Die Antwoord in the first place?

he is the best musician of the last 30 years in my super biased and uninformed opinion. he is in par with history's very best.

David Foster Wallace wasn't a musician

>tfw listening to the classical guitar version of Rhubarb

>>WHEN IS THE NEXT BOARDS OF CANADA ALBUM DUE??????????????
agreed

>BOARDS OF CANADA
Reddit Aphex Twin

Some months ago i heard the RDJ album for the first time (it wasn't my first time hearing aphex twin), and halfway through 4 it just struck me that he was a genius.

You're not even trying.

I don't understand at all the obsession with his first two albums. 4/4 beats, some swooshy effects and that's SAW85-92 mostly. And I see nothing original about it either in the grand scheme of things. Kraftwerk and Tangerine Dream did minimalistic beats and atmospheric pieces back in the 70ies. AFX offered something new only to those who weren't aware of that music. Drukqs on the other hand has legit sick, weird rhythms and lots of stylistic variety, it's obviously his best album. (ICBYD and RDJ are good too, you can see how he improved and developed his style, and Drukqs is a sort of a culmination of those efforts.)
Judging by the praise for SAW and strong initial criticism of Drukqs, I think most AFX fans are just braindead.

Case in point

SAW85-92 is pretty meh. There's a couple of good tracks, but some are just boring.

Its all gud. >:(

No. Not in the slightest.

>some are just boring
such as...

>Drukqs on the other hand has legit sick, weird rhythms and lots of stylistic variety, it's obviously his best album. (ICBYD and RDJ are good too, you can see how he improved and developed his style, and Drukqs is a sort of a culmination of those efforts.)
drukqs is completely bogged down by all the minimal and impressionist piano pieces. it absolutely did not need to be 2 discs long.

Best comment I've ever read about Richard D. James on this board.

And electronic artists were doing it in the '80s as well. Just look at what Severed Heads/Tom Ellard was doing.

vimeo.com/channels/severedheads/45357552

Aphex Twin is reddit Autechre then
faggot

>Tha
>Schottkey 7th Path
>Ptolemy
>Actium

>Tha
get the fuck outta here. :/

Yes

Get off my board

The piano pieces are an essential part of the album, though. They are like a parallel album, in constant dialogue and contrast with the electronic songs. And they simply sound good themselves.
Everyone'd get sick of so much aggressive and fucked up breakbeat without the piano pieces anyway. Did you try listening to the album without them?

The piano tracks are great wtf are you on about?

can really hear the similarities between this and earlier BoC.

> the only comforting thought I can get like that is , well rocks can't make beats or something, ha , so that's kind of good, i don't knw wtf I'm going on about...jeez.
>anyway
he is a very humble person

>Everyone'd get sick of so much aggressive and fucked up breakbeat without the piano pieces anyway.
lol

the beat yes but that awful melody no way, too much 80's (not that it's a bad thing, but BoC has 70's vibe melodies) plus those shitty effects and not knowing when to stop...
i like the video though

So this is my first time on Sup Forums and I have to say you all make me sick. Better off going to find good music myself. Goodbye and fuck yourselves

He's a total natural when it comes to rhythm and melody, and is more comfortable with any hardware and software than even 99% of successful producers out there
I don't think he's necessarily the most forward thinking or boundary pushing artist by a long shot (especially in this century), but he's clearly very gifted

He is a truly unique person who actually pushed himself to express himself and RELEASE ART. Too many unique people languish in obscurity. Musically, he is an alien and an innovator. I would personally call him a genius because this all seemed effortless on his part, but "genius" is a weird word that people would probably debate.