What Killed Rock'n'Roll?

What do you believe was the single biggest contributor to the downfall of Rock'n'Roll?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Q8k3qB61lhk
youtube.com/watch?v=VgE98LFMsRQ
youtube.com/watch?v=-NHmwmqB_H0
youtube.com/watch?v=4D2qcbu26gs
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Millennials are dumb as fuck

Stagnation

the combination of pop punk and nu metal

*blocks your path*
*ruins your genre*

Rock n roll started in 2000? godddamn u fucking kids! Now go to your room.

record labels trying to capitalize on nirvana and signing a bunch of terrible "grunge" and "post-grunge" bands that all sounded the same and all sounded like shit

it's the years where rock music died

Hahaha

There are still rock albums being relased.

The only reason you think rock is dead is because you keep making these threads saying its dead even though like a week ago everyone was jerking off to the new MGMT album

We had more than half a century of it, it was bound to go wrong sometime

rock in the 2000s was great, there was a revival you fucks ignore anything modern.

boring, sissy indie-rock that has long outworn its welcome. also, nirvana and radiohead made "fun" rock n' roll uncool. every band thinks they have to make some grand, profound statement on society with their music, instead of just having a good time. there's still a few good bands, but they are few and far between

on the nose

there's really not a lot of new things that can be done with rock and roll without just straight up blending it with other genres

there's a reason why a band like greta van fleet, a led zeppelin clone with a slight 00s alternative edge, can be a front runner in rock today. it's because there's nothing new to be done with rock, and also because a lot of people don't want anything new to be done

it's unsurprising and yet also mindblowing that there are people who want to listen to 'oldies' stations which play the same exact songs they've been listening to for decades and decades.

/thread

You see, when kids grow up listening to REM, U2, Linkin Park, Lilith fair shit, im sure you can fill in some more...they end up having retarded taste in music. They rebel with even shittier music. All that crap 90s post grunge music has infiltrated the masses and caused a rift.

Only old faggots still think that rock music can be about having fun lol. Fun music is shit like Lil pump or edmond, fuck outta here bitch, you really think kids are going to get turn to led zeppelin??

there are rock bands, you just dont listen to them.

and if i listed them out you would act like its not real rock and its stoopid

like the arctic monkeys

This came out in 2014 and it blew my mind

youtube.com/watch?v=Q8k3qB61lhk

Im so fucking tired of you cunts who decided rocks dead beacuse its not in the top 40.

holy shit you are like robots just repeating it over and over again and refusing to acknowledge any new bands

Pretty much these. The same reason Jazz isn't mainstream anymore.

Rock'n'Roll is an idiom that has been thoroughly exhausted at this point. Yes, there are still people forming bands and releasing new music, but they'll never be an ounce more influential than your local Jazz band who performs at a club every couple weeks.

*eats your bullets*

I don't see why some won't. Not everyone likes the same kind of music. If they did, it wouldn't be fun and exciting. It would be boring and sad.

why are you faggots so focused on Rock's death? If anything it lasted quite a long time compare to say, Swing, Skiffle and shit. Why are you faggots so focused on this? Let it die already. Rock had a wonderful life.

Edmund? Is that the name of a band or a fuckin tampon?

Because it's simply not comfortable having a world where everything's alien.

I know what you're thinking, but still, you'll forever be feeling like some Amazonian tribesman turned loose in the middle of Times Square

Who the fuck listens to indie and calls it rock? FYI indie=poprock to all u newfags

>This came out in 2014 and it blew my mind
This is an album for journalists and cumguzzling indie flick producers.

see, i told you.

I could make a fucking list of bands that are relavant like arctic monkeys, mgmt, alabama shakes, etc and you fuckers would just dismiss it.

There is this weird fucking vendetta and hatred against rock music on this board that is bordering on the psychotic

>relavant like arctic monkeys, mgmt, alabama shakes, etc and you fuckers would just dismiss it.

Relevant to soyboys, hipsterinas and cumguzzling indie flick directors.

Not relevant to people who actually have something to contribute to the world.

No, poprock is not actual rock music. Indie is closer to pop than anything else. People that like Motörhead and AC/DC aren’t going to want to listen to your faggy version of rock.

pitchfork actually gave that album a 5 and shat on it.
But it was probably the most refreshing rock album in ages.

Julian is doing shit that is out of this world like mixing rock with vapor wave and middle eastern music and its interesting and fun and weird and everything you fuckers want and it gets dissmesed by poptamist scum

youtube.com/watch?v=VgE98LFMsRQ

youtube.com/watch?v=-NHmwmqB_H0

Nigger music and pretentious elitists that will shit on any sub-genre that isn't the sun-genre they like.

Haha

see, its like fighting with a wall.

I make a list of rock bands from this era that people listen to and all i get is

REEEEEEEEEEE NOOOOOOO IT DOESNT MAKE ME FEEL LIKE A MAN

holy shit all you fuckers are insecure as fuck

died with the 20th century

Go to a Nobunny show and choke on a dildo. How’s that for relevant?

The second song was definitely better than the first one, but holy shit, that music video was fucking obnoxious.

That first song made The Stone Roses look like macho men, and those are the same guys who wrote this:
youtube.com/watch?v=4D2qcbu26gs

Hi, Julian. When's that new Strokes album coming?

why is up to a rock band to make you feel masculine?

I can just picture what a limp writed effeminate faggot you are that you judge the quality of music based on how you can vicurlisy live through the musicians fucking women while you sit at home on a friday night making shitposts about how rock is dead because they dont make music about fucking groupies anymore

holy shit son gain some self awareness you absolute fucking mong

I don't think so.

Bitch, I like The Cure. It's not that I dislike softer music or stuff that speaks of more sensitive topics. I do! But you can externalize them in a sound that's enduring after the first listen. That stuff you posted was absolute tripe of the lowest order.

Actually, punks have been trying to keep the rock genre alive. We r just underground. Record companies suck and we don’t play by the rules.

why the fuck are you grouping REM with those other faggot bands, they were literally a god tier band for their first several albums and have the single best debut rock album ever

Metal is doing a far better job than Punk has in the last decade. All Punk has been able to conjure are those dreadful Folk Punk and Crust Punk bands, the latter of which has the lowest standards of any genre.

so it's a rap album then

>metal
>rock

You're right. Metal doesn't deserve the indignity of association with dreadful frauds like The Voidz.

You mean the type of shit Yonatan Gat has been doing? Julian is so mediocre...you bitches need to go farther down the rabbit hole.

lool is that the kind of music people do PURPLE DRANK to???

>it doesnt count because i dont like it

this is the screech of every moron that says rock is dead

>Sungayther

Starbucks metal is learning from indie rock: when you don't have songwriting on your side, take the self-consciously "shoegazey" route and crudely go through the motions of "having atmosphere" rather than arriving at something called atmosphere in a natural way. You can already hear bloggers tik-takking away with purple prose about "blissful anguish" and "waves of light." Meanwhile the pink minimalist cover art tells you that Deafheaven "gets" the sensibilities of a unique, sensitive guy like you who talks about "rockism" on tumblr in lowercase letters and considers taking a vacation to France on your parents' trustfund. Metal purists don't get it, but they must be "closed-minded." Don't forget your sweater and Virginia Slims.

you're right, it will be a long time, if ever, before rock comes back to mainstream prominence, but that doesn't mean all of it has to be artsy and pretentious in the mean time. some of it can be, some of it should be, but there's very few bands focusing on making it fun

>What do you believe was the single biggest contributor to the downfall of Rock'n'Roll?
Nothing new being presented.

Same shit as always.

Get some reading comprehension you dumb fuck

You soulless fucking brainlet millenials make me sick

There's always innovation if you look hard enough. The industry decided to change course

>2012 + 6
>still being into rock
It’s been dead since 1990. Shit’s stale as fuck, like it or not. Punk is next.

>Rock is dea-

>Punk is next.
Punk is Rock.

>Led Zeppelin clone is the future of rock

People that called it rock and roll and people that address and give life to the notion that there is a battle between HIPHOP AND ROCK

It has it’s roots in and is a subgenre of rock, but it’s not rock.

their faces look like slight alterations of each other

Well, 3/4 of them are brothers. The singer and lead guitarist are twins.

memerap and thug culture

Not true...metal is okay...but really I’m not going to argue Metal vs Punk with you. Nu Metal sucks balls and you should understand that the melvins and Motörhead did actually happen so we’re on the same side

Before DAWs got as good and easy to use as they are now, picking up an instrument was the easiest route to making music. Now the easiest route is downloading FL Studio and programming drum and synth loops. As a result, people got good at it and it has been able to flourish in a way it wasn't able to before, but there's also the fact that it's so easy and thus cheapening the musical process. Standards have been lowered because it's not hard to make decent music anymore. Especially in the most popular genres like trap

The people around for "rock and roll" when it was contemporary are now 50ish and have kids.

Agreed

I like 2000s alternative, but I think at around 2006-8 it became so big that everyone was only in it for the money and to get a bigger listener base the music became more poppy.
Just compare rise againsts siren songs of the counter culture from 2004 to 2006s The Sufferer & the Witness. Same for meteora and later minutes to midnight.

craft beer

Imagine being so young you are able to detect the hierarchy in which genres spawned and think genres have always existed in parallel

>rock is dead theirs no more creativity
>band releases rock album that's creative
>wtf is this hipster shit

stupid faggots like you

more expensive to make than electronic music or hip hop, more people to pay, instruments to move when touring etc
the audience probably got tired of guitars as well

The internet. People can discover countless different rock musicians from it's inception to today. That over saturated the music and made less artists stand out. Finally, pirating and streaming services made it impossible to make a profit from recording an album.

just listen to something else then, jeez

ROCK WAS STILL ALIVE IN THE LAST DECADE! IT WERE YOU STUPID INDIE FAGS THAT KILLED IT WITH YOUR GAY ASS HIPSTER BULLCRAP!

Forgive my ignorance but didn't rock n roll die somewhere in the 80s?

Reading through the thread now and you guys seem to be talking about rock and not the specific subgenre of rock and roll. How is rock dead? Just because it doesn't hit the Top 40 it is dead? Fucking retards

-d.

>rock is dead xd

I don't know. I always felt like bands like broken social scene which brought a sound that didn't exist before could save the genre. But then they didn't. I guess nu-metal did the same but I didn't like it. Maybe the same could be said for groundbreaking indie and I'm just biased.

>Green Day
OH NO NO NO

>implying rock hasnt been saved

The Strokes

>it's the trilogy
>also blink-182's 2 newest albums
>and post hiatus fall out boy
NO NO NO NO NO

2001-2002.

Both Fugazi and Unwound broke up at that time.

Music has been shit ever since.

The next wolfmother. And I dont mean that in a good way.

Lot's of people in the MI music scene kind of eyeroll when everyone dicksucks them endlessly.

>fun rock n roll
delet this

Definitely a contributor, along with labels getting “pop punk” bands cashing in on Green Day (blink-182 and the Offspring are/were good, but everything else were good single bands at best. In general labels cashing in on underground music killed rock.

>sun-genre.

nu metal was the last original rock music.
it was shit but it was the last innovation,
nothing new came after, just a bunch of fags clinging to an image and a scene.

>MGMT
>rock

Yup, the genre has been pushed to its utter extremes. You know a genre is in its death throes once people begin to explore and expermiment with shut like texture and timbre, not that it’s a bad thing. There’s simply no where to go

>autistic metalhead gets mad any time tries to do something different with his shitty genre that died in the 80s
What a surprise

Do you even go out? The Rolling Stones is the best music you can choose to get fucking wasted, rock can be excellent party music but modern indie has nothing do with attitude, sex, violence, the kind of shit teenagers want to hear about, they want to feel wild, there's no way something like MGMT, Tame Impala or Radiohead is going to satisfy their needs (beyond making them feel smart).
The Arctic Monkeys sell sex and have tons of teenage female fans.

The arctic faggots are trash

Rock is still the most culturally influential music and that isn't likely to change any time soon.

wh*Toids

Yes, hair bands are what killed it. Same thing is happening to rap right now with the various 'Lil' artists making shit music and relying on appearances.