/daily/ - Cops Can't Read Edition

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>listenalong schedules, OP pics, etc.
daily-mu.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html

previously on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/bT_XjcdgT6g
rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/various-artists/those-shocking-shaking-days/
rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/various_artists_f2/halloween_nuggets__monster_sixties_a_go_go/
youtube.com/watch?v=YRyb-HhQksQ
youtube.com/watch?v=e6V7AV_on5w
rateyourmusic.com/~crunchmiser
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/the-cure/disintegration-30/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/cocteau_twins/heaven_or_las_vegas/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/novos_baianos/acabou_chorare/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/various_artists_f2/ecstatic_music_of_the_jemaa_el_fna/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/black-eyes/cough/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/jack_o_the_clock/all_my_friends/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/nara-leao/dez-anos-depois/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/belong/october-language/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/jacaszek/treny/
rateyourmusic.com/release/ep/erratic/precipice/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/grachan_moncur_iii/evolution/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/this_heat/this_heat/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/tomita/snowflakes-are-dancing-1/
rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/ゑでぃまぁこん/輝く墓標-shining-on-graveposts/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/exuma/exuma/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/bill-evans/symbiosis-2/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/фома/белая-сказка/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/ігор-цимбровський/przyjdz-aniele-1/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/гражданская-оборона/лунный-переворот/
youtube.com/watch?v=HP8JW-cjBR0
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/agalloch/the-mantle-1/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/bjork/homogenic/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/obrother/garden_window/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

is that Harvey Keitel?

i wonder what Consume Red would sound like in reverse.

even worse?

It makes a completely different album. It inspired Kendrick Lamar's latest album.

some shit been on my mine lately..

aside from maybe a dozen artists ever, lyricists aren't even worth half a shit as poets so evaluating lyricism, especially in popular music, (or at least holding it as such an important aspect of music) is essentially pointless

in the world of semi-well-known music, I can list maybe a dozen artists who are good lyricsts AND songwriters

stephin merritt
the friedberger duo
dylan
cohen
mf doom
van zandt
/maybe/ nick cave (usually not though)
elliott smith
mitchell
walker
elverum
jamie stewart

at least in the english language that's all I could come up with

holding lyricism in such a high regard, occasionally on the same level as the actual music (looking at you christgau and r/hiphopheads) is a stupid way music nerds have made art more academic and less accessible

idk I'm really jetlagged atm so I'm more prone to shit takes. Debate me or don't ig

also holding lyricism in such high regard makes your taste in music very anglocentric and ur probably racist for doing so sorry sweaty ;)

lyrics are a meme anyway

though i did a panera bread commercial a 4.5 so what do i know

>lyricists aren't even worth half a shit as poets
but would poets even be worth a shit as lyricists? they're meant to be consumed differently so they're written differently so you can't hold them to the same standards. doesn't mean you're not allowed to let them influence your score or anything like that. they have an effect.

Seek counselling for your autism, jesus fuck.

These are just artists who write like written-word poets though. You’re conflating the two. It’s an overly highbrow outlook on songwriting. Everything looks like a nail when you’re a hammer, etc.

Who’s to say Hank Williams or Woodie Guthrie don’t write just perfectly for their music? This should be the better yardstick.

ALSO ANYONE THAT DOES THAT SHIT WHERE THEY CITE ONE MEME LYRIC AS A REASON THAT A RAPPER IS BAD (ex: "I keep it 300 like the romans", "doritos, fritos, or cheetos", etc.) YOU ARE 1000% A COP

I've probably had this take before, but when I see albums like Pure Comedy get so much praise for being essentially good poetry set to mediocre/bad music it really confuses me and makes it seem like people care about lyricism almost MORE than they do the actual music

>doesn't mean you're not allowed to let them influence your score or anything like that. they have an effect.
Not at all what I'm saying. There are plenty musicians (specifically the ones I listed, plus probably many others) which are very worth evaluating for their lyrics. My central point is that the list of people who are good lyricists is so minuscule that placing music on the same pedestal as the lyrics is worthless. Lyrics are a tiny aspect of songwriting, and to many songwriters, almost an afterthought.

>they're meant to be consumed differently so they're written differently so you can't hold them to the same standards
I agree. This also means we shouldn't evaluate music like it is poetry then.

Again, my point is how music reviewers look at music in a poetic "academic" sense which is imo harmful to the artform and pointless

hii ;)

>It’s an overly highbrow outlook on songwriting
this is actually a really good point and part of what I was trying to say. Writing lyrics that suit your music is a million times more effective than writing "good" "poetic" lyrics.

The list I made was just the small list of people I could think of that were good poets in a traditional sense and good songwriters just as proof that the list is so small and evaluating all music on that scale is worthless.

sorry about the autism I have homework to do bii

ah yeah we pretty much agree then. i suspect most people would principially agree as well but still do this "meme one awkward line to make a song look ridiculous" thing you're probably talking about to be cheeky cunts?

Yeah, I agree then. Critics ought to care more about lyrics to the extent that they work with the music. I think successful lyrics should just go by unnoticed a lot of times. Doesn't need to be literary or bold or extravagant unless the music calls for it

idk I've seen this image plenty times as "proof" mf doom is bad but idc if it's a meme anyone that shares it is a cop 1000000%

>I think successful lyrics should just go by unnoticed a lot of times. Doesn't need to be literary or bold or extravagant unless the music calls for it
yes yes yes

>I think successful lyrics should just go by unnoticed a lot of times.
wtf
no that's not it
why

Because it’s a sign that music and meaning are simpatico

Just because you consume music too fast to understand the lyrics doesn't mean they are worthless and not important.

Looks like you forgot all the jazz and classical.

this seems like it's more about how music nerds take a goofy ass album like madvillainy as seriously as they do than how doom is bad, could be about iaots as well for all i care
no you see your generalization fails at the most basic principle which is
lyrics i like > lyrics i don't like
fuck off racist

looks like you haven't listened to jazz and classical with lyrics.

Lyrics you don't like stick out and don't go by unnoticed of course

Right, but Looks like you forgot all the jazz and classical.

a memorable lyric (/song/album) is always better than one which isn't

>racist
What the hell, I have 3 jigaboo friends and listen to the blacks' music all the time.

I can name 100 stupid lyrics off the top of my head that hands-down kill the vibe of a song

but you can name them

If you think you can impede me from pulverising the proverbial dead horse of my bad memes down to the very atoms, you are sorely mistaken.

Someone sounds jealous ;^)

I'm a 6'2" engineer with a massive wang that listens to art music and reads high literature, what could I possibly be jealous of?

better taste in music

it's not even memes at this point it's dad catchphrases at this point
>"Listening to some of them bleepy bloops, son? Looks like you've accidentally forgot all the Jazz and Classical, hahaha!"
>"What's that? Hot Rats by Frank Zappa? No!"
>"Truly, there is no greater pleasure than sitting down with a craft beer and writing some reports to the sounds of French Minimalism!"

wow. Everyone is very jealous of you being a STEM irony lord. Very unique and definitely not every redditor ever

Fuck it, mark me down for a full fledge poseur because I'm bumping this to a 5.0

small wangs and uncertain futures detected

can't even tell if you're memeing anymore

that's what happens when you're unfunny ig

meant for

youtu.be/bT_XjcdgT6g

Stuck in my head all day

This album fucking rips, any lesser known gems in the same vein?

Let's see some girls (or dudes) getting filled up with eggs. Tentacle monsters, insects, slimes, whatever.

>Zach Phillips - I Can't Predict My Past Actions
>pop
like a sad, gross ball of pop synths, young adult angst, and bill wurtz conglomerated together.
5-

>Joanna Wang - House of Bullies
>Art Pop, Avant Prog
The poppier, more broadway based version of Kilo Kish - Reflections in Real Time. Both are very polished, and the strange slice-of-life songwriting exude charm with loneliness. Interesting backstory, and also kinda shows why this isn't nearly as diverse sounding as it could have been.

>Hail - Hello Debris
>Prog Pop
Probably the cleanest and most consistent sounding album I've heard on this chart thus far, making the album very consistently enjoyable. Lighter on the zany aspects, but the, subtle synths, excellent drumming, and stolid vocals work very well. Songs like Hello 1 and The Bridge Song Not an outright shocking album, but just about as comfy as a warm drink. The drifting between rock jams and pop melodies is even more curious when the instruments accompanying said structures can travel anywhere between psychedelic to baroque. Gladly handing this an 8.

Yee, same label too I think: rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/various-artists/those-shocking-shaking-days/

Only girls or dudes? Welp, looks like I'll have to sit this one out.

May I please have an older Cirno with big boobs and a futa cock fucking Rumia, who also mature looking, has boobs and a cock, with both having ahego faces? There could be cum, but that's optional

Also looking for your best percussion-heavy North Indian classical music thanks luv u

perfect way to waste a saturday afternoon
rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/various_artists_f2/halloween_nuggets__monster_sixties_a_go_go/

buddy it's February

im gay

nice

youtube.com/watch?v=YRyb-HhQksQ
this album is wonderfully herky jerky

i dug this, kind of reminds me of this youtube.com/watch?v=e6V7AV_on5w though maybe more than it should have

I've been filling in what I've been listening to when on holiday on rym and aside from the Candy Claws LP my ratings have been literally the same as Accel am I a subconscious drone or something
Some albums lose a lot of their inherent value when listened to without lyrics though. I also dislike pure comedy but for artists like Kate Tempest it's vital to be paying attention to lyricism

back the fuck off?!?!

African Screamo Contest

Bump

the drone consistency on the ratings seems to drop on the more esoteric albums, but your ratings are freakishly similar lmao
You're definitely building up one hell of a backlog too, maybe the drone mind will wear off there

Also i downloaded Head and leg - in your dreams, looks comfy. what should i expect?

Alright r/daily, since I never did that stupid daily chart and I'm getting sick of this equally stupid freeform chart, I'm going to be doing a tournament, so you fuckers better join.
The rules/guidelines are as follows:

All entries require three (3) albums of any length for each stage of the tournament (nothing over 2/3 hours unless you really want me to).
Entry can be any album, even ones I've heard before (yes even Bryter Layter).
I have NOT listened to any of the classics/mu core/daily core/poseur core, so anything is fair game.
My rym: rateyourmusic.com/~crunchmiser so plebs can custom tailor their submissions.
Be strategic with your entries, I have incredibly impressionable taste so really do save the best for last.

Hopefully this'll give me something to do for a good week or so, don't disappoint and good luck.

Nick Drake Bryter Layter 3 times

also what if theres a difference between dont like and dislike
also what if you replaced "kill the vibe" with "add a new dimension to"

a wilhelm scream - ruiner
a wilhelm scream - career suicide
a wilhelm scream - partycrasher

Melt-banana - cell-scape
ミラクルミュージカル - Hawaii pt II
The United States of America s/t

This is obviously Comet

Townes Van Zandt - Live at the Old Quarter
Keith Jarrett - The Köln Concert
Sandy Bull - Fantasias for Guitar and Banjo

James Ferraro - Live at Primavera Sound 2012
Björk - Vespertine
Fishmans - Long Season '96~7 - 96.12.26 Akasaka Blitz

Luciano Cilio - Dialoghi Del Presente
Tim Buckley - Dream Letter 1968
Olivier Messiaen: Steven Osborne - Vingt regards sur l'enfant-Jésus

Graham Lambkin - Amateur Doubles
Charlemagne Palestine - The Golden Mean
Keiji Haino, Jim O'Rourke & Oren Ambarchi - This Dazzling, Genuine "Difference" Now Where Shall It Go?

Right but you doubt this phenomenon exists? That a song can have a really ill-advised or meaningless or stupid or clunky lyric without any second thought that really misses the mark. It's not at all in line with the intended meaning or mood. And the added dimension...is that it's bad?

I get it, you'll say there's no objectively proving something is bad.

It'd be heaven on earth if cops were drafted and not hired

new ryuichi sakamoto and alva noto album is good, just wish it was longer and that it didn't fade out so quickly. loved the plinking sounds, has a very crystalline timbre to them.

Right on choof

not sure why I quoted you lmao my bad

Who is the most mysterious /daily/ user?

haino's been shilling his music in here for years he doesn't even have an rym.

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/the-cure/disintegration-30/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/cocteau_twins/heaven_or_las_vegas/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/novos_baianos/acabou_chorare/

>It'd be heaven on earth if cops were dead
fixed

dogevillage

haha
"no"
please try again
haha
"yes"
who

>that fish vs jangle
zizek vs peterson 2.0

>small wangs and uncertain futures detected
that really made me laugh thanks piggo

yeah literally every "rock sounds of [developing nation]" comp lmao

I'm partial to Ecstatic Music of the Jemaa El Fna
>rateyourmusic.com/release/album/various_artists_f2/ecstatic_music_of_the_jemaa_el_fna/
"Essiniya" fucking rips

Carla dal Forno - You Know What It's Like
Mild High Club - Skiptracing
The Lafayette Afro Rock Band - Malik

B-Ump

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/black-eyes/cough/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/jack_o_the_clock/all_my_friends/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/nara-leao/dez-anos-depois/

sdc has the best picks so far btw
and will probably stay the best picks for all of tourney btw

Whoops! I'm the who

wait is this supposed to be like a "rec your faves" type thing? or just anything? cause that black eyes album isnt a fav i just thought youd like it

Oh man I'm gonna fuck that dumb fish up worse than a japanese sushi chef

I'm going to see Peterson in a few weeks for a free speech thingy, should be fun.

:8)
Was looking more for regional singles/albums but I'll check that out thanks

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/belong/october-language/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/jacaszek/treny/
rateyourmusic.com/release/ep/erratic/precipice/

good luck with precipice

>Hobo Cubes - Timeless/Mindless
decent progressive electronics. i wish the tracks had more time to develop. hobo cubes hits be hardest when they develop on a sound for so long you just melt into it.

>Sun Araw - The Saddle of the Increate
some real weird shit, which is surprising from what i had heard from araw up to this point. everything i had heard from him up to this point were psychy tropical jams, so i was surprised when someone suggested this for my "post internet" list. while i can't really say it fits that label (sadly) i can say it's fairly unique. it turns out that mr. araw ha not changed in seven years as much as he did distill, and not in the normal ways of either becoming extremely poppy or wallofsound noise drone. araw has converted the summery slime into a paradise of midi controllers, ragas, and bleeps not out of place on a bbc radiophonic workshop compilation. the sound is both alien and familiar, playing well off the rest of araw's discography. don't take this as me saying it's just a cool gimmick either. you could easily put this on and drift away regardless of how avant you go. hoping to see more cowboy fetishism from this boy in the very near future.

>A. G. Cook & Life Sim - Xtreme Mixology
i wish it was harder. life sim's minimalist style held back cook's primal urge to make this into the nu style gabber masterpiece that it contains in its web. there is a lot to like about it though. big bratt is a bump.

>Michael Pisaro / Barry Chabala / Katie Porter - Asleep, Street, Pipes, Tones
bass clarinet and electric guitar imitate the sounds of urban environments, or is it the other way around? for those still iffy on onkyo/eai stuff, there are a lot of melodic passages on here. the technique of alternating waves of silence and audio is used to amazing effect here. there's such a wonderful variety that every passage is welcome and memorable.

>Leyland Kirby - Eager to Tear Apart the Stars
the album suffers in a lot of the same ways that many of his other acoustic works do. too much space with too little structure, and fairly muddy production. no longer distance than death contains an exciting passage that consists of in key bass distortion threatening to destroy my computer which is really exciting.

what next?

>this post

>la-di-da-di-da, slob on me knob

Are there still open spots? Because I'd be down to lose another tourney in the first round

Okay fuck it I'm gonna send you recs in case:

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/grachan_moncur_iii/evolution/

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/this_heat/this_heat/

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/tomita/snowflakes-are-dancing-1/

don't worry you did ok, that's what I was looking for.
>extratone
what the fuck do you have me listening to mate.
no spots left sorry.

oh lord i didnt even realize you had a thing for fishmans
rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/ゑでぃまぁこん/輝く墓標-shining-on-graveposts/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/exuma/exuma/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/bill-evans/symbiosis-2/

It's time you get inducted into the realm of meme urls
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/фома/белая-сказка/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/ігор-цимбровський/przyjdz-aniele-1/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/гражданская-оборона/лунный-переворот/

Here's a link to the foma one:
youtube.com/watch?v=HP8JW-cjBR0

howdy y'all, gonna be away from /daily/ the rest of the weekend and most of next week/weekend, going home and up to rochester to see tyler/vince staples and visit some friends.

watched the big sick tonight, v v good

take this with a grain of salt, because Torment Saint isn't the best source, but I think a lot of Elliott's lyrics were co-written, or entirely written by someone else, at least around the roman candle/self-titled era.

The Unkle Adams shitposting got me to try one of his songs, I regret it

That was pretty good, how is the rest of the album?
Rabbota Ho's music took very different approaches on each album, their most famous is like DEVO while Tanets is like some extremely demented dance punk music.

hello
pick something from this i haven't numbered
even if it just looks neat

goddamn that's a really good chart

go with the Leonid Federov album.

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/agalloch/the-mantle-1/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/bjork/homogenic/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/obrother/garden_window/