It really is perfect though

it really is perfect though

I genuinely don't get why it was so hated on release. It clicked with me pretty much instantly. I think in 10, 20 years time it might be seen as one of the best of its era.

Love at first listen. GOAT for listening while you chill in the beach.

>first album is an ironic radio pop made to churn out money by the label
>second album is one of the greatest and well constructed psych rock albums of the decade

gee i wonder which one plebs will like more

makes me upset hearing normies complained that mgmt "purposely made a bad album" because they hated the fame from Oracular Spectacular.

Congratulations is easily their best album

Lady Dada's Nightmare might just be the worst track they've ever done.

it’s a nice interlude imo, they seem to like doing these bare instrumentals before the closing tracks.

that said, congrats unironicaly is chock full of some of the greatest psych pop tracks ever written

>It’s Working
>Someone’s Missing
>Flash Delirium
>Siberian Breaks
>Brian Eno
>Congratulations

I hated Congratulations when I first listened to it too. Only revisited it because I kind of liked LDA, and it's quickly becoming one of my favorite albums of this decade.

I get the feeling Congratulations might come to be seen as MGMT's Pinkerton someday.

>its another shill thread

Congratulations is amazing.

I just wish Someone's Missing went on a little bit longer

Pleb here. Where does one go from here if they want more music like that found on Congratulations? I don't listen to much psychedelic music at all but I've been recommended The Flaming Lips and although I like them, their music isn't quite as poppy and fun as Congratulations in my experience.

One of my all time favorite albums.

I need a phone wallpaper of this so badly.

It really is. It's honestly probably the album I've listened to most. It's such a fun, yet pretty dense listen that I don't think I'll ever get tired of it. 11/10 best psych pop record.

Of Montreal are perhaps the closest comparison
They display quite obvious influences on this one though of Barrett-era Pink Floyd, The Television Personalities and more obscure stuff like the Deep Freeze Mice that is also worth checking out, even if it's not quite the same of Congratulations

Oh, and Psych-era XTC, Skylarking, Dukes of the Stratosphear, stuff like that. Also The Soft Boys. And The Church. Actually, now I think about it, it probably shows more influences from 80s Neo-Psych than anything.

Nothing is quite like Congratulations IMO, but if you haven't listened to MGMT's other albums, particularly Oracular Spectacular (first half is mostly synth pop, but Side B is psych pop). Also Tame Impala (particularly Currents) and Pond are really good psych pop groups.

I know of the Deep Freeze Mice as MGMT mentioned them in an interview a few years ago (as well as Spacemen 3), but I haven't gotten around to listening to them. I'll check out Of Montreal first though, if they're the most similar. ty for recs.

Better than LDA

absolute pleb

GO FUCK YOURSELF

Half the tracks off of s/t are worse than Lady Dada

I've never understood the negative reviews.
I was SO fucking into this album when it first came out. Like, I thought it was Beatles-level.

I don't even remember how I got into it honestly, but it was in my top 10 for years.

Just more evidence to never listen to music reviewers, I guess.

YOU HEARD ME RIGHT

IM MEAN, NOT NICE

That's not saying much, self-titled was pretty bad.

do you think vore loving furrys masterbate to the cover?

that's one of their best you fool

It clicked for me when I first heard it. I really don't get the hate it gets and what people mean when they say its shit.

Will any albums in the last two years get the same belated recognition that Congratulations did?

no one will talk about mgmt in a months time

I am 100% certain that this is untrue

Mgmt is here forever pleb :)