Daily Japanese Thread - DJT # 1890

Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
djtguide.neocities.org/

Discuss the process of learning Japanese.

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

japanesetest4you.com/flashcard/learn-jlpt-n2-grammar-げ-ge/
detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q13140390713
core6000.neocities.org/dojg/entries/180.html
core6000.neocities.org/hjgp/entries/370.htm
kotobank.jp/word/って-572021
coelang.tufs.ac.jp/mt/ja/gmod/contents/explanation/084.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

being 2/3 into heisig's RTK noticed the guy who made the anki deck
>hates america
>dislikes Christianity
>is obbsessed with sex
>constantly references old testament
>makes references to other hebrew traditions like bar mitzvah and circumcision
>pro lgbt
>most likely into femdom

That's not the guy who made the anki deck, that's Heisig himself. Here are a couple great/awful stories off the top of my head that I still remember from my RTK days.

>旬 - "decameron"
>There simply is not a good phrase in English for the block of ten days which this character represents. So we resurrect the
classical phrase, decameron, whose connotations the tales of Boccaccio have done much to enrich. Actually, it refers to a journey
of ten days taken by a band of people—that is, a group of people bound together for the days of the decameron.

I like this one a lot myself, conjuring up images of old picaresque tales. And indeed there is no common English equivalent so he did his best to find a fitting keyword.

>胆 - "gall bladder"
>The pieces in this character should be easily recognizable: on the left, the element for part of the body, and on the right, the
character for nightbreak, which we have just met. What all of this has to do with the gall bladder is not immediately clear. But all
we need to do is give a slight twist to the traditional biblical advice about not letting the sun set on your anger (which ancient
medicine associated with the choler or bile that the gall bladder is supposed to filter out), and change it to “not letting the night
break on your anger” (or your gall)—and the work of remembering the kanji is done. And the improvement is not a bad piece of
advice in its own right, since anger, like so many other things, can often be calmed by letting the sun set on it and then “sleeping it
off.”

What the fuck? Bible or no Bible this is just a shit mnemonic.

I think that RTK is an extremely interesting resource, if for no other reason than seeing someone's mnemonics reveals much about their mind. Regardless of its utility for memorizing kanji it is fascinating as a character study of Heisig himself.

nah
there's heisigs note and there is additional deck author's note
>pic related

You're probably looking far too deeply into it, most of the popular stories are voted on by the RTK community and some are simply popular due to being created earlier than the others.

I don't know mane
he usually gives credit when using someone's else note

could someone explain the なげに to me, I don't understand what it means or does

*in the very first sentence

japanesetest4you.com/flashcard/learn-jlpt-n2-grammar-げ-ge/

これ以上≒これより多くは

ah thanks, I didn't think of just googling げ

>tfw the length of my kanji sessions is approaching 4 hours
when do I hit the plateau?

Can you (or someone who does Heisig's) explain me how all those keywords relate to 隣? I think "America" is for the rice radical, and "neighboring countries" for the meaning. Anything else?
Also any pronunciation hints?

yeah rice is america
pinnacle is what heisig calls the German S looking radical on the left, I don't know why it doesn't fit virtually none of the characters that use it
sunglasses is also arbitrary name for the combination of those two bottom right radicals
I'm not sure where ballerina and dancing legs come from I must've missed that
the stuff is mostly just mnemonic tools

>pinnacle is what heisig calls the German S looking radical on the left, I don't know why it doesn't fit virtually none of the characters that use it
Because one of the two meanings of that radical means "hill" or "verge" or "apex" or "peak" or something.

後10日で大学新学期が始まります。日本語の勉強を続けながら専攻の科目にいい成績を取るのは俺の積もりだ!
皆さま、頑張ろう!!!

what are you studying?

痩せることも忘れないでね、デブガキ。

If someone says something dumb-sounding, and the person they are talking to looks annoyed by the comment, and the first person then says 「わりぃ,言ってみただけだから」what does that mean? Is it "Sorry, but I'm just sayin' " or is it "Sorry, I just wanted to try saying that (for once)"?

latter

電気工学
速い物質代謝があるから心配しなくてもいい、第三世界ちゃん

I'm pretty sure it's the former

あ、ごめんブラジルさん、君の言葉の理由いま気付いた

Good, I was about to sperg out.

>tfw getting back into studying again to kill some time
>tfw reading a bunch more and listening and using it as a side thing to my other hobbies.

sugoi monogatari trip-san, where can I subscribe to your blog

What resource are you using? How many kanji do you get through per hour? I feel like my efficiency tapers off after 60-90 minutes so I try not to spend too much more time on kanji.

HELP.

Anki resets in 3 hours.

PC 1 shows I still have reps to do;
PC 2 shows reps as done.

They both are configured identically and connected to the interweb. I even added a new card (after reviews) on PC1 and, when opening Anki on PC 2, it showed that card as "to learn".

But PC1 still thinks I have way more cards to learn (and review).

What do.

I'm using the RTK anki deck from the op I write down the characters when recalling that's all there is to it I guess
doing 60 new kanji a day
I don't know how you're familiar with RTK but basically it's just meanings - no readings, although some of the cards have them included in the examples
I study vocab separately
today was kind of bad day though
>pic related
I feel like I was just hitting again those last 20 minutes, I'm thinking about reducing the new cards quota to at least 50, if not less, for a while
I'll see how I do tomorrow with another 60
also
when I feel my head is stopping working and efficiency dropping
I usually take a break and lie in bed for like 2 minutes just staring at wall - basically giving my brain a rest
I found that works surprisingly well
staying hydrated helps too

Open and close Anki on both.

Weird, it worked. I was afraid opening them in the wrong order could fuck up syncing, but it looks okay.

Okay guys, I need your help.
I need to pass N3 this December or my career plans are fucked beyond repair, I'm currently slightly above N4, I did an example N4 test and passed relatively easy.

How hard is N3 compared to N4? Similar to the jump between N5 and N4?

What should I do to prepare for it?
Do I need to actively learn N3 grammar or is that only required for higher levels and I'm fine if I read daily?
I don't know how much of the N3 vocab I already know (finished core) thinking about doing a N3 anki deck yay or nay?

How long does it usually take until results are out?

what are your career plans user?

Read a whole lot. I'm only halfway through core and I got 12/17 on the N3 practice test. Have you tried an N3 practice test or not?

There is that Business Management job offering, I'll get a chance when I pass N3.

Not yet, but the example tests on the JLPT site lack audio for half the listening section, so I don't know if I should even do one.
Unless you can find them elsewhere on the Internet.

What are your favorite manga?

New Game

Yeah I know what RTK is, I'm doing the Kanji Learner's Course right now. Do you not use the book to learn the mnemonic for each word? That seems like the whole point of a system like that. My method is to read the mnemonic, look at the character and make that sink into my mind, and then write down one of the compounds 5-10 times. I almost never fail kanji cards because of how well they stick in my head after doing the mnemonic.

Whatever im jerking off to at the time tbqh.

I'm looking for a video that was posted on /djt/ a couple of years ago back when it was still on Sup Forums. It was about this really young girl who transferred to Japan for a year of high school and on the first day a security guard yelled at her and made her cry. It was pretty sad. Anyone have the link or know what I'm talking about?

Best gender-related joke I have heard in a while

>jlpt people literally misspelling shit on their language proficiency test that I, a foreigner, catch
you can't make this shit up folks

why do nips pronounce 質 like ひつもん

質問、くそキーボード

is there a difference between 友達 and 友だち

Yes. One saves you 4 strokes.

it's Edo dialect.
detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q13140390713
ひ↔し
same

What do you think って stands for here? To me it seems like のは知らなかった would make the most sense as a sentence if she didn't use って, but のは can't get shortened to って (only just は) right?

Or is it と, というのは or ということ?

音読み:シツ(漢音),シチ(呉音),チ(呉音)
訓読み:たち, ただす

特殊:気質(かたぎ)

Obligatory "yotsuba isn't beginner-friendly" comment. Read hanahira kids.

That grammar structure is in the DoJG beginner volume though. core6000.neocities.org/dojg/entries/180.html
Alternatively, HJGP. core6000.neocities.org/hjgp/entries/370.htm

Ah, for some reason I thought のは couldn't be shortened to って, so I was wondering if it was some other abbreviation. Should've checked DoJG first and looked at the examples. My bad

It can't, it's just a similar expression.

Well yeah, bad terminology on my part. Instead of "shortened" it's more like "replaced" right? Instead of のは in a typical sentence.

Yeah as long as you're not misunderstanding what's going on there's no problem.

よつばが来てるって知らなかったから
=よつばが来ていると知らなかったから
昨日、韓国旗に格助詞「って」は解説した
この「って」は格助詞「とて」の音便で関東方言が語源。
上の場合は、上の語または文が、次に来る語の内容説明であることを表し、「と」や「という」に互換可能。
次に、「というのは」の意味を持つのは副助詞「って」の場合で、この場合は係助詞「は」に置き換えられる場合。例「パンツ屋って誰?」
それ以外に終助詞的用法がある。

When will i be able to read Pantsuya's walltexts?

read following;
kotobank.jp/word/って-572021
nope
refer above
「って」には格助詞、副助詞(上記では係助詞とする)、終助詞の三つ用法があり、このうち副助詞のみが「というのは」に似た意味になる。

He said のは, not というのは.

>used to take almost an hour to review 100 cards+10 new
>installed addon which auto-reveals card after 10 seconds
>now takes 20 minutes
>mature card correct % has dropped from >80% to less than 40%
Should I switch back or do I have to get used to the speed?

Wait, I'm unsure now. Isn't the って usage in the Yotsuba picture I posted just pic related?

>installed addon which auto-reveals card after 10 seconds
Do you need an add-on for that? Ankidroid has global settings which can be changed on the fly to automatically flip cards over after X amount of time.

>mature card correct % has dropped from 80% to less than 40%
It's a harsh comment but it needs to be said: those cards shouldn't have reached maturity in the first place if they weren't able to be answered correctly within 10 seconds.

>Should I switch back
Are these vocab recognition cards? If they are, it sounds like your entire approach is off. It really shouldn't take more than 10 seconds to answer a vocab recognition card. In the deck statistics, under Review Time there is a read out of Average answer time. Making sure to set the statistics read out page to deck life, can you quote this figure?

Pic related is mine, in case you aren't sure what I'm on about. Depending on the figure, you may need to change your approach to reviewing entirely.

I think it's less that I look at a card for more than 10 seconds (though I would sometimes do that) and more that I get distracted doing something else while doing reviews. With the auto-reveal I get distracted less.

My average review time for core2k/6k is 12 seconds but that might be inflated from what I mentioned before.

上の説明のとおり、副助詞(係助詞)「って」に限り、「のは」や「ことは」に置き換え可能ですが、「って」の意味の一部に過ぎません。
この場合「って」が、副助詞であるのは、英語で言えばAs forの意味を付加するからです。
「象って鼻が長い」「パンツ屋ってパンチラが好き」
というように、係助詞「は」で置き換えることができます。

漢字を覚える「って」大変だね=漢字を覚える「(こと)は」大変だね=漢字を覚える「(という)のは」大変だね
(古語では連体形は直接「は」を添加することができます)

しかし、
「金を貸してくれって頼まれた」
「読書しろって言われた」
「山田様って方ご存じですか」
「用ってほどじゃない」
の「てっ」は、「というのは」/「のは」で置き換えることはできません。(格助詞的用法)

更に、
「彼も行きたいって」
「なんだって」
「そんなこと知るかって」
の「って」に至っては全く意味をなしません。(終助詞的用法)

上の「よつばと」の例は、格助詞的用法で「と」「という(こと)」で
よつばが来てるって知らなかったから
=よつばが来ていると知らなかったから
であり、「(という)のは」に置き換えることはできません。
この「って」は、格助詞「と」+格助詞または接続助詞「て」の「とて」のshorteningです。
you see?

It's a substitution, not a shortening.

user can't read your post so I don't know why you bothered.

Thanks.

link to addon?

>and more that I get distracted doing something else while doing reviews
>My average review time for core2k/6k is 12 seconds
If that's the situation then it needs to be changed. There is really no other way about it: Anki demands full attention 使用時。 Good luck, changing habits is a bitch.

正確には、促音便化です。わかり易いかと思いそう書いただけです。

『語源については、係助詞「とて」の促音添加、「という」「というのは」の音変化などとして扱うこともある』(上記)

Your explanation is fine, you just misunderstood a sequence of english posts and called them wrong when your argument doesn't cover them at all.

>I thought のは couldn't be shortened to って
>It can't

>I didn't know って derives from のは
>It doesn't (it derives from something else)

Took me 18 months. They are very poorly written, though, and 90% of the time he doesn't get what's being asked and explains a lot of unrelated/already cleared up crap.

Totally unprepared are you
To face a world of men
Timid and shy and scared are you
Of things beyond your 圏

Why not rhyme you with ゆ(う)?

Totally unprepared are 有
To face a world of 面
Timid and shy and scared are 勇
Of things beyond your 圏

as what sense do you use 圏?
it may mean your EcoSphere?

ったく
空気読めよ

Except Hanahira is shit-tier as a piece of media and nobody can legitimately enjoy reading it.

I enjoyed enough what I read/played of it, even though it was only the first few scenes. It was a cute, simply and light hearted romp. Does it change dramatically after the first few scenes? From memory the girls where in the lunch room where I stopped reading after computer problems occurred.

「たとえお金がないにしろ、食事だけはきちんととるべきだ。」

What the fuck kind of example sentence is this? "Even if you don't have cash, you should at least eat a proper meal." What? What scenario would this be used?

I just thought it was cool that the english word "ken" ("one's range of knowledge or sight") was similar to "圏". Not synonymous though as "ken" has more nuance whereas "圏" is just "sphere" in a very basic sense

Seems reasonable unless you are taking "お金がない" as having literally no money. Think "even if you're broke, you should make sure you stay nourished."

It's really not that bad. It's not good but it's palatable, and more importantly generic. When you don't know any of the language you're not looking for something that breaks the mold, you're looking for the mold. Generic characters = predictable dialogue = easier to understand. It is short as hell, too, which is good for beginners since everything will take them 20 times as long as normal. Plus there are even a few lines that are pretty entertaining. I still remember this one line from Amane even though it's been over a year since I read it as my first material.

>「今日もまた勉強という名の悪夢と戦う一日が始まるのだった」

Well whatever. People are free to do what they want, but I think beginners would do better not reading Yotsuba as their first thing and instead going with Hanahira or alternatively another very simple, short, VN. Though you're not going to do better than Hanahira on the "simple" and "short" fronts.

how do nips google searches look like?

when i'm googling, my searches are usually the relevant words in random order and spaces in between. do nips use spaces too when searching?

just look at the jp autofill, don't be retarded

thanks for the very informative answer! the google autofill normalizes searches and favors normie queries, so it's not quite what i'm looking for.

譲歩構文
coelang.tufs.ac.jp/mt/ja/gmod/contents/explanation/084.html
「ないにしろ」は、口語では「なくても」
使います
検索式は、世界共通だと思います
また、例文検索には""
論文検索には:pdfとか、Google Scholarより便利かも

ゲームオブスローンズのシーズン7はずっと神回が続く。凄まじい!

What's kami/god supposed to mean in this sentence?

I have the book downloaded as well, I check in there from time to time
but he deck basically contains all of the book except some of the radicals that aren't kanji by themselves
Including the mnemonic stories, and stroke order and it also has additional stories from the guy who made the deck, example words and readings

I think I'm going to try your approach and spent more time initially with a new character
I usually read the story, write it down and hope it sticks

Can I get more tips on how to prepare for N3?

can I get more of the pic

Noticed this when doing one of these sample jlpt 5 exams too.

It's all according to keikaku.

*keikaku means fuck you gaijin

why do australians always feel compelled to take the piss out of someone?

It was a joke, Bernd.

bump

if you notice, its only us, because they keep banning all the games

Good morning very much (^0^)/

来ると(いうことは)知らなかった
→来ると知らなかった≒来るとは知らなかった
来るって(いうことは)知らなかった
→来るって知らなかった

・「よつばが来る」、と知らなかった
・「よつばが来る」、て知らなかった

for some reason, in the case of て, that adds a "っ".

what's a good alternative for lang8 since that shit died?

Having Japanese friends. There are other websites with a similar proposal but they are all dumbphone crap where no one will bother correcting you because of the casual, のんびり atmosphere.

kek
・「よつばが来る」、て知らなかった
の「て」の品詞は?
接続助詞「て」は、「つ」の連用形が語源で、活用語の連用形につき、このような用法はない
格助詞「て」については、自分で調べろ

次に、
来ると知らなかった≒来るとは知らなかった
は「ない」が形容詞化しているために、そう見えるだけ
肯定形で見ると、
「来ると知っていた」は「来ると(いうこと)は知っていた」とは、かなり意味が違う
つまり、
来ると知らなかった≒来るとは知らなかった