Why Spain never conquered Portugal?

Why Spain never conquered Portugal?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottoman–Portuguese_conflicts
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Not this thread again.

>herewegoagain.jpg

They always lose for some reason (((((eternal anglo)))))

It's a good question though.

You weren't always best friends, right? And Spain could've easily conquered Portugal.

Why Portugal never conquered Spain?

We finished the Reconquista first and we don't have as many regional conflicts within the country like they do.

Plus our sense of nationalism is stronger.

Kill yourself, Catalanshit.

Like Spain could attack and Portugal can't do nothing, where they can go really? they are trapped

why ur u guay?

i obviously say Spain because Portugal looks like a province of them

I've never even considered it but shit you're right

the spaniards feared the portugese warrior

Once we entered Portugal we got Malaria because of all the defecating in the open.

So our shit is more effective then. You were simply used to your own so you no longer noticed the smell.

You look like a province too yet you're not annexed to neither Brazil nor Argentina

Probably has something to do with the muslim rule over the iberian peninsula

t. bro historian

The bull fears the rooster.

It's more complicated than that. Spain wasn't a single unit, it was composed of various kingdoms acting semi-independently and they could never focus all the military might on a single conflict, for example, while the Portuguese where fighting the Restoration War, Spain had troops scattered all around the world (America & Asia) securing the colonies and trade routes, while at the same time fighting the Thirty Years War and a massive rebellion in Catalonia that lead to a War against France, of course everything became a disaster. All of that military effort was mostly supported by Castile alone who had massive drains on the population and the economy due to that (it's also the region that send most colonists), even today Castile is completely depopulated, and if Madrid wasn't the capital, central Spain would be a completely uninhabited region. History hasn't been fair on Spain, people never realize about the struggle it really was.

Because of Sean Bean.

Did i hurt your feelings about your father?
sorry it wasn't my intention

>Why Spain never conquered Portugal?
they did though, once
we got our independence back and have been manitos ever since

It did for 60 years. Iberian Union.

But that wasn't conquest if it was simply handed over.

>History hasn't been fair on Spain

Alejandro please. Spain was easy mode.

Absolute aberration.

It's a mystery.

It did in 1580 but in 1640 they go their independence again when Spain was fighting against evrybody.

>country roleplaying
Trying to demonstrate that you're making stupid questions in a over debated matter
I can understand chicanos making this type of threads but I thought you guys would know better

>first

What the fuck does that even mean? There was still a shitton of territory under muslim control.

Once again the well-endowed mind completely obliterates human-will and number

711-1249

We all know that feel

Leadership incompetence, as always:
>Marquis of Sarria
>In 1762 he became commander of the Spanish invasion of Portugal, but he was very slow in assembling his troops and commencing the hostilities. This gave the British the time to bring over an expeditionary force in support of the weak Portuguese army. King Charles III of Spain was disgusted by Sarria's lethargy and had him replaced by the Count of Aranda.

By the time we reached Portugal it was already an impenetrable fortress.

we all had our fair share of disasters desu

how so? hes speaking the truth, even bolivia is bigger.Damn your only bigger than surinam in SA. How uruguay existence is possible?

this could be a good answer, Portugal had the support of UK (because of the Windsor deal), and Spanish people were afraid of them, i didn't think about that

Well, didn't realize we cockblocked you but Granada was a vassal state that regularly sent gold to Castille so it would have been stupid to kill the cow while we could milk it for 300 years and then kill it and enjoy the meat.

>711

afak northern portugal wasn't reconquered until the IX century by galician warlords

>Uruguay history

>treaty of zamora worst day of my life

iberian union when?

The county was formed in 868, yes.

Still counts, even if they got us at a time of crisis

Don't make it sound like we were the only lucky fags when the annexation in 1580 was a matter of opportunity too
Spain simply had to walk in and take the cake

Afraid of whom? For the spaniards defeating the english was the norm, while the other way around was turned into an epic myth by them. If you think the Spanish Armada was a fiasco you should check out the English Armada or Cartagena de Indias.

Never until you raise your GDP per capita and average salaries.

what does this thread has to do about why we are not annexed to Brazil or Argentina?

N E V E R
E
V
E
R

>Iberian union
Fuck no, Iberian balzanization when

>Never until you raise your GDP per capita and average salaries.

pfff, that condescence, as if we were much better.

>Balzanization
Spanish education

but we already live in Union, it's just that none of us are the masters :^)

>why portugal is not annexed by spanniards?
your question is based on size and frontiers. same with uruguay, youre tiny and have two steong countries next. so tell me how uruguay even exists?

>only lucky fags

That's what literally you were. Spain was fighting the strongest navy in western Europe (England), the strongest army in western Europe (France), the strongest army and navy in the Middle East/Eastern Europe (the Ottoman Empire), the whole protestant world, the dutch in Brazil and Asia, the northern african pirates and the portuguese/catalonian revolts. Spain was literally fighting the world thanks to having the most retarded kings ever.

Just think that the Crown of Castille was fighting Granada for ten years and before that we had a civil war, that btw your king supported one side, the other Crown was fighting France and the different italian territories since the 14th century. So basically we were in a perpetual war for 200 years until Rocroi when everything fell apart.

Spain was destroyed in every single level and lacked the manpower for such ambition.

Mmm...

daily reminder that both our empires downfalls came after kicking jews, they in turn went to holland which became the leading trading empire

We don't need more andalucians, Jezúz.

>the Ottoman Empire
You weren't the only ones who fought them.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottoman–Portuguese_conflicts

>daily reminder that both our empires downfalls came after kicking jews

What? Spain went to shit after Rocroi (1643) and the jews were expelled in 1492.

Yep, and you BTFO'd them in the ocean, not in the Mediterranean were they where used to fight.

Check the French help in the other side too

Rocroi was nothing, a scratch.

Its effect was more psychological than anything else because until then our Tercios were undefeated in major battlefields for like 116 years.

The real downfall began after the Succesion War, but even after that we managed to hold the empire for another century.

Hmm...sounds familiar

I know, unironically the Spanish Empire was larger in 1810. But at Rocroi Spain was at its peak as a militar power in Europe and after that France took up the baton.

>Again this thread.

It wasn't a conquest. It was literally a handover. Portuguese Sucession War was Portuguese vs Portuguese (high nobility and clergy) +Spanish

Hey, we all know that Portugal historical militarily is better than Spain, okay? Take it easy.

You have to go back, João

I think you missed the point of my post.
All that wall of text for arguing about something I didn't refute.

Whatever. They got lucky in that. We got lucky in getting the independence back. It's all a matter of opportunity.
Too bad the empire turned to shit in the meantime, for we gained 2 new enemies with the dutch and anglos.

I could have never be born in this shithole
damn you Fernand and Isabella
cocks

They feared the moustache warrior

We have a law of return for Sephardi Jews.

yeah, you can come back, merchant
we promise we'll be good goyim

Already working on it
I'm coming, my lost brothers

>brit can't join a thread without trying to make himself the centre of attention
brits are just as bad as yanks desu

>an irish can't join a thread without bashing brits and making himself centre of attention

we're a buffer state. The point of us is to exist

KEKed really hard.

Except it's relevant, you stupid fucking Mick.

Spain's law is a bullshit, The process is so hard that it'll take forever. You have to speak the language, take tests of history, and it's so expensive that I can't even afford myself to do it.
However the Portugese one is easier, it's enough to prove your ancestors by family tree, last names and a grandma whp speaks Ladino.

ButPortugal in terms of economic and other opportunities isn't at the same level as spain. Be careful as EU and schengen area can't be disbanded,etc

Jews just would use the spanish or protuguese nationality to scheme the fall of Europe in another country.

>can be
There's a reason we have one of biggest populations in europe working outside its native country

Yeah, I guess that it'll lose it's value and it'll be better even here if the EU/schengen area will fall, but whatever. I always wanted to spend some time in another country, maybe to study. Portugal seems comfy.

SPEN CONQUER ALL

We invaded spain once

It's literally the answer to the OP's question.

What the hell do you mean.The portuguese were also fighting around the world during the iberian union and restoration war

idk ask fucking argies and macacos

>be spanish in ancient times
>fight romans for 200 years
>conquer britain as mercenaries under roman empire
>produce best roman emperors
>roman emperor from southern spain (trajan) conquers arabia
>another roman emperor from southern spain (hadrian) genocides jews

>be spanish in middle ages
>conquer territory from berbers and arabs
>commit ethnic cleansing against jews

>be spanish in renaissance era
>btfo all of western europe and conquer an entire continent

portugal was never glorious like spain !!

Tugas did all that alongside Spaniards. People usually forget Spain was originally an Iberian union but It failed miserably

We invaded you faggots

Uruguay didn't exist back then, are you unironically retarded?

I'm ironically retarded

Because Portygal is protected by God

Portugal*