Bob Dylan

What's with fucking hipsters and Bob Dylan? Don't get me wrong he seems to make decent music and is pretty talented with his musical instrument

But I don't think he warrants a fucking Nobel Peace Prize. His music is generic fucking country music. Good for its time but IDK how he's fucking relevant now? He's boring.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/guOaI6_cF10?t=53s
youtu.be/y4VwQXoyodk
genius.com/Bob-dylan-desolation-row-lyrics
merriam-webster.com/dictionary/inane
youtube.com/watch?v=tgDtHlD4KP8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Since this is an obvious bait thread, we all agree this is his best album, right?

really weak bait

No I'm not trying to bait at all I mean if you can prove me wrong that would be great. I just listen to it and it's kinda boring. Can you recommend me some songs?

Tangled Up in Blue
Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
Shelter from the Storm

All three are from the album I posted.

I hate slide threads like these. “why is (insert hugely popular artist) famous? i think they suck”. how much of a boring low life do you have to be to seek validation/attention this way?

Yes

>how much of a boring low life do you have to be to seek validation/attention this way?

I don't think anyones feelings will be hurt since we're, uhhh.. posting as Anonymous? How can we seek validation under Anonymous?

Thanks dude. IDK maybe it's just not my cup of tea. I'll give it a listen.

No its blonde on blonde
But we can agree visions of johanna is the best song of all time right?

He didn't win a peace prize, it was a Nobel literature prize which is super impressive considering who else has gotten that award.

His lyrics and songs are great if you really pay attention. All Along the Watchtower for example has an amazing structure. You can read the first verse first or the chorus first or whichever way you want and it still makes sense

>Confrontational original post
>Wishy washy reply

The best thing about being a Bob Dylan fan is knowing that everyone that matters gets it and everyone who doesn't get it, isn't going to change how he's remembered.

Obviously not everyone who likes him gets why he's important (in fact, most of them probably don't) but that just makes his legacy stronger so it's not a problem either.

they're selling postcards of the hanging
they're painting the passports brown
the beauty parlors filled with sailors
the circus is in town
Here comes the blind commissioner
They've got him in a trance
One hand is tied to the tight-rope walker
The other is in his pants

My nigga

My favorite song of all time

you mean and it still makes no sense

If Dylan can't win a literature prize, then it can't be a very meaningful literature prize

He didn't need to win it, but if you are arguing he shouldn't have been eligible, you're retarded

>Don't get me wrong he seems to make decent music and is pretty talented with his musical instrument
You have those reversed.
>But I don't think he warrants a fucking Nobel Peace Prize
If Nobel Prize is awarded to singer songwriters from now, what other possible candidate would you have chosen?
>His music is generic fucking country music
Someone doesn't know the difference between country and folk music of their own country. He didn't start with country music until Nashville Skyline and his collaboration with Johnny Cash.
>Good for its time but IDK how he's fucking relevant now? He's boring.
You're not even trying.
>"Do you prefer songs with a suble or an obvious message?"
You are the same ball of confusion as this poor woman, except she could've blamed her little line on her parents.

You mean "I'm still not going to try to make anything even remotely funny or original, but insisit on everyone taking my shitposting rampage seriously"?

>didn't start with country until Nashville Skyline
Uh, John Wesley Harding and the motherfucking Basement Tapes

John Wesley Harding, yes, I forgot to mention it. Basement Tapes range from '67 to' 75 though. Either way, OP just baited and left. You shouldn't have bumped.

Partial to John Wesley Harding, myself.

Eh, bait threads tend to be the only way Dylan is brought up around here

All Basement Tapes are 1967, people who are talking about the 1975 remix album by The Band are sadly confused...the six-disc compilation that was released a few years ago with every song untouched and preserved is all 1967 from the months before John Wesley Harding was written and it's full of country where he records songs by country icons he likes and makes some of his own

I'm not a fan of Basement Tapes really and didn't revisit the album ever. I have John Wesley Harding and Desire on vinyl though.

Hmm, that's a shame, you should check out the actual Basement Tapes Bootleg Series compilation, it's easily one of Dylan's best albums in his career, full of amazing gems

I don't think anyone who ever praised the Basement Tapes was talking about that 1975 album but it was the only legally available album of any of that material so it got the attention by proxy

A perfect example of this was Tom Waits (who started his career doing Bob Dylan covers) listing his 20 favorite albums of all time for a site and then he says The Basement Tapes and very specifically says he's not talking about the 1975 album but the raw bootlegs and then the site has a giveaway of all 20 albums and uses the 1975 album

I thought I was going to get into vinyl once, years ago, and bought Blonde on Blonde, Highway 61 and Blood on the Tracks but then I realized my life isn't suited to vinyl and now they just sit around unplayed in that format

and the riot squads they're restless
they need somewhere to go

I didn’t like Bob Dylan that much until I delved deep into Dylanology. I recommend reading his bio (Why Dylan Matters is a good one) and watching some interviews, and listening to everything from Freewheelin onward. His discography is like a history of post-50s America. No artist in my mind except probably David Bowie has changed so much, so quickly, without sacrificing his talent.

It’s so hard to recommend songs that will make him ‘click’ for you because the biographical context is important. Blood on the Tracks is the worst place to start with Dylan in this regard- it’s like telling someone to read Finnegans Wake before Ulysses, Dubliners, and Portrait.

>I thought I was going to get into vinyl once, years ago, and bought Blonde on Blonde, Highway 61 and Blood on the Tracks but then I realized my life isn't suited to vinyl and now they just sit around unplayed in that format
The only vinyls I have are the ones I've gotten through exchange and the ones from my father. I don't have a record player and I never intended to buy one. There's something magical about physically having an album you love and the ones I do have are merely memorabilia. Thanks for the recommendations.

I would always recommend Bringing It All Back Home for someone new to Dylan. A classic after a classic.

What did Bowie possibly do on the level of Dylan?

desu love dylan but if a singer songwriter was gonna get it, should have been leonard cohen

Actually this, if you listen to one Dylan album, make it this one. You get a taste of everything

Bowie did pretty much the same thing as Dylan- he identified a current that was passing into mass culture (glam rock vs protest music), seized it, and used the ensuing momentum to explore the full range of his musical ability. In fact, Bowie did that twice with the Berlin trilogy (Heroes is basically the sound of the Cold War era) while Dylan fucked around with Christian rock and came back to his senses, stronger than ever. Bowie and Dylan played with their images a lot in the service of their art, but for Bowie that was more in the service of performance art.

As musicians, they both sit at the top of the late 20th century zeitgeist. Bowie's lyrics aren't as good as Dylan's, obviously, but I doubt he ever thought of Dylan as competition. They had different artistic goals

>Dylanology

I’m an obsessive fan but I stop short at Dylanology. From what I have seen it seems more to revolve around wanting to intimately gain knowledge of his personal life in order to make extremely literal interpretations about his songs e.g. x song is about Andy Warhol and Edie Sedgwick. I don’t think you can understand Dylan if that’s all you can take from his music. I don’t think that teaches you anything about songwriting craft.

I have absolutely no interest in how others interpret his songs, it is up to me as the listener to form my own connection and interpretation. I have no interest in unauthorised dirt digging biographies and find that unethical in many ways.

If you want to understand Dylan’s musical roots he’s done more than anyone else in revealing them himself via Theme Time Radio Hour.

Visions of Johanna
From a Buick 6
Like a Rolling Stone live from the Royal Albert Hall concert 66
All of Blood on the Tracks

WHO ARE YOU?

I could recommend you a video analysis.
youtu.be/y4VwQXoyodk

Can someone explain these lyrics to me?

genius.com/Bob-dylan-desolation-row-lyrics

>took this pic last night in Rhode Island
>was playing his electric again
>didntmind.jpg
>could not hear shit though, was too loud
>had that weird brown guy playing guitar riffs again while he sung maggies farm
>so i naturally booed

this

OP if your gonna staunch that hard, at least follow thru

Kek. Took me a while to spot him.

He won for his lyrics, not his music or his singing. They treated him as a poet.

>Dylan
>folk
>he fell for the "contemporary" folk meme

Sad Eyed Lady is better, but not by much

Nah. I think Bob’s best achievement is Tangled Up in Blue. My favourite song right now though is When the Deal Goes Down.

>His music is generic fucking country music.

Let me guess, you listen to rap?

>When you’re lost in the rain in Juarez
And it’s Eastertime too

This and the beginning of Queen Jane Approximately are my favourite openings. I just love the way he pronounces Juarez.

you're thinking Bringing It All Back Home

Oxford town is my favourite Dylan song

Generation Z

I can never get into Dylan. I don't give a fuck about lyrics and I rate music by it's sonical appeal based on instrumental arrangements or vocals.
Dylan's vocals are awful and his instrumentals are boring as fuck. His lyrics might be okay, I guess, but if I wanted to read lyrics, I'd just read poetry.
Other folk artists like Joni Mitchell, Leonard Cohen, Tim Buckley, Nick Drake actually sound interesting and can keep me interested in their music even if I don't listen to the lyrics.

>His lyrics might be okay, I guess, but if I wanted to read lyrics, I'd just read poetry.
How did you end up here?

Not even him, but he's right.
I listen to music for... music not some 2deep4u lyrics

T. Pleb

>I listen to music for... music not some 2deep4u lyrics
Damn...

>"Do you prefer songs with a suble or an obvious message?"
>You are the same ball of confusion as this poor woman, except she could've blamed her little line on her parents.

I think it's trying to communicate with us.

If you care about lyrics then you're the fucking pleb.
Lyrics are the least important aspect of music.
I can stand a song with good instrumentals but bad lyrics.
A song with bad instrumentals but good lyrics are fucking worthless to me. Might as well listen to Peter Sotos, at least I can get something out of it.

How did you determine all of that and how are you adamant of everyone taking it as undeniable fact? As if it wasn't an inane concept to begin with.

It's common fucking sense
I thought even a brainlet like you would figure that out

>It's common fucking sense
>I thought even a brainlet like you would figure that out
All that "proof". Beats me, can't deny it.

Do you also need proof that water is wet?

Let me make it as simple as possible for you. You are shitposting and demanding to be taken seriously, no matter how inane everythng you've said is. And have the decency to sage when you do that.

>inane
maybe you should learn how to spell before you post user

merriam-webster.com/dictionary/inane

>he uses pseud words unironically
not surprised

>pseud words
Whatever makes you feel better for a non-native speaker teaching you a new word.

>non-native speaker
Is that another words for a shitskin? Thanks!

At least you had the decency to sage this time.

Can't wait for all the boomers to fucking die so I don't have to hear about that Blob Dylan hack again.

youtube.com/watch?v=tgDtHlD4KP8

inb4GreatestSongwritterOfAllTiems

Write a fucking book then, and let Leonard Bore 'em review it. Jesus Christ.

>Can't wait for all the boomers to fucking die

Bad news pleb, he's clearly got a pretty young fan base too.

>young fan base

Kike astroturf

>His music is generic fucking country music.

Wat

He only did a couple of country albums. Do you consider all acoustic music to be "country"?

would unironically fuck young hillary