/composition/ STUDY GROUP WEEK 1

>What is this?
A group to study musical composition.

>How will we study composition?
We will read and do the exercises from the book "Composing Music" by William Russo. We will keep it one chapter per week for now to make it accessible to everyone.

>What are we studying now?
This week (19/02 - 25/02) willl be working through Chapter 1.

>Where can I get the book?
mega.nz/#!mVJHkRAS!Oiij8-rv-9IMqs1-5qAhn1qZ_wi5PRm4JY6eH7sA8u8

>Can I read the chapter of the week online?
Yes you can.
goo*dot*gl/Rt2H1P

>What are the pre-requisites to study composition?
Being able to read Treble and Bass clef, basic knowledge of scales.
If you're not familiar with this is ok. This is elementary music theory and it can be learnt along the way.

>What do I need to start composing?
Pencil and paper or a music notation software.

I recommend MuseScore, or Noteflight if you want to do it online

An instrument to play what you write is useful but not necessary. Any music notation software should be able to play what you write.

>How can I share my compositions?
You can export the audio with whatever software you're using. Then upload the file to vocaroo, soundcloud, youtube, etc. Posting it together with the music sheet is a good idea.

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s1o4HQrG2CuN
vocaroo.com/i/s0SZMXEKCtVs
vocaroo.com/i/s195fcciyn7b
vocaroo.com/i/s1NJCRXRgidj
discord(dot)gg/TF6kYv
vocaroo.com/i/s0bC4WXDqTV6
vocaroo.com/i/s1stIHu5Is5o
vocaroo.com/i/s1C1kF15G1sH
vocaroo.com/i/s1sIHZspEMih
vocaroo.com/i/s0L3ZiqCWKDA
vocaroo.com/i/s0Hm1kcDEIkl
vocaroo.com/i/s0IedFC7Fz8n
vocaroo.com/i/s0roPyR7FDeg
vocaroo.com/i/s0noGwhCD0lv
vocaroo.com/i/s1WuUsiQPWVp
vocaroo.com/i/s1BCpaWYKfMo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

A melody following exercise 1

vocaroo.com/i/s1o4HQrG2CuN

bump

A welcome addition to Sup Forums, in all honesty. Doesn't take long either, and it isn't incredibly complex too, so most people can do it.
vocaroo.com/i/s0SZMXEKCtVs
I quite enjoyed the use of repetition and variation you used in that one. The usage of skips causes it to feel very open ended.

discord(dot)gg/TF6kYv
>discord

I'll do it OP. give me some time I'm reading chapter 1

The last two measures still seem off to me. I feel the melody breaks somewhere there.

I like your melody. It's interesting that you repeated the first two measure at the end, but backwards and with the last note changed from B to G.

Cool. You don't need to read the full chapter in one sitting though. A few pages are enough. I think is better to do the exercises as you read.

>The last two measures still seem off to me. I feel the melody breaks somewhere there.
Personally, I think it's to do with the fact it has the biggest variation just about anywhere, while it is a melody that has a lot of repetition employed, the way that part shifts feels jarring.
>I like your melody. It's interesting that you repeated the first two measure at the end, but backwards and with the last note changed from B to G.
Thnaks! There's actually quite a few variations - the first, third and eighth measures are all the same for the first part, then they change the last note, and that happens on the second, sixth and seventh measures as well. That said, I wasn't ever quite satisfied with the fourth and fifth ones, but they worked well enough.

bump

Love your idea op i will bump this right now and i will come back after i read the chapter and written something to show

same, hope the thread doesnt die

damn, I forgot the audio

vocaroo.com/i/s195fcciyn7b

I dont have access to a computer right now so i'm doing it like a caveman

vocaroo.com/i/s1NJCRXRgidj

Really good voice leading, you can even hear the resolving at the end, smart use of inversions and repetitions, i like how the last note in each measure gently descends towards E and jumps up before the last measure

I like the way you mirrored some of the motiffs and kept it consistent, but i think you should give a better look to the macro structure of the piece.

Take a look at the melody above from the other user exercise, notice how the first 4 measures complete a musical idea, like a question, and in the next 4 elaborated ontop of that, like answering it till conclusion.

this is one fantastic
what instrument did you play?

I want to record with my violin violin, but unfortunately my vibrato isn't there yet

Wow thanks man, i play piano, i recorded some random wind instrument preset i found in my keyboard.
I wouldnt mind listening to it, i tried playing violin for a while and i know its goddamn hard, keep practicing it user, you can do it.

1st exercise, also join the discord
vocaroo,com/i/s00dWFZsw8KL
discord(dot)gg/TF6kYv

>Really good voice leading, you can even hear the resolving at the end, smart use of inversions and repetitions, i like how the last note in each measure gently descends towards E and jumps up before the last measure
Thanks, user! I was worried mine would sound pretty bad in the grand scheme of things, actually.

In exercise 2, are we supposed to write a melody using rythms "a" and "b", or two melodies having one in each rythm?

love this idea OP

Here's my attempt: vocaroo.com/i/s0bC4WXDqTV6

interestingly yours is the only piece so far that has used A as the tonic instead of E, that's a nice idea and it sounds different even with so few tones

I used G, actually. If you think in terms of scales and tonics:
>E as tonic has minor third, perfect fourth, perfect fifth
>G as tonic has major second, major third, major sixth
>A as tonic has major second, perfect fifth, minor seventh
>B as tonic has perfect fourth, minor sixth, minor seventh
G is the only one that actually implies a really major sound (A could be mixolydian, E and B imply minor pretty heavily), which is why I feel it sounds so different.

oh yeah sure it's G, I'm so tired and should go to bed. G definitely makes sense given the tones if you were going for a major sounding piece

I think you can do them however you want, i think it would actually be helpful to write an exercise multiple times with different approaches, within the guidelines of course

Now that you mentioned it, it really does sound major, this made me curious and i will try writing melodies with the other tonics

Really like the descending pattern of the halves in each measure

vocaroo.com/i/s1stIHu5Is5o

These notes are in a really high octave btw so beware headphone users

I think only E and possibly G seem to work as a final note. I feel other notes don't give enough closure. Is it possible to start and end with B, avoiding the feeling of openess at the end?

This is a very good explanation.

Maybe you uploaded the wrong file?

mine
vocaroo.com/i/s1C1kF15G1sH

>Maybe you uploaded the wrong file?
nvm

My headphone are crap. I didn't hear the two quarter notes at the beginning but a half note.

Yeah I shoulda wrote the notes lower my bad

Personally, A's the most interesting and toughest one to deal with because save for the minor seventh you don't really have any tones that scream that it's major or minor, and even then the minor seventh on a major scale is pretty common. The B is an interesting version because it has the fourth, the sixth and the seventh from minor and nothing else, so to give it some sort of closure you actually have to emphasize how the sixth and seventh relate to the tonic. I'd open with something like B G A B if I were to write with B as the tonic.

Shouldn't you have ended on E? That said, I do like how you're emplying repeition here, it's probably the most simplistic and subtly varied of the bunch.
I reckon it'd have more closure by ending on B rather than E. I do like the descending arpeggios quite a lot, actually.

It´s fine. I like it better that way.
And it's good example of what Russo calls "The Cell" prior exercise 2.

I don't know what it was but something in me led me towards ending on the last note of the first measure. I gu

>whoops
I guess ending on the E seemed too expected

Speaking of exercise 2, I thought I'd give it a shot, to at the very least inaugurate it (I'm ). And get a trip for this thread (and pretty much all others in other boards that require some sort of trip like the /ck/ cooking challenges).

Anyhow, thoughts on exercise 2: the tonic choice there is pretty difficult. F, A and C all behave nicely, but B is just a spanner in the works. If you're using F as a tonic, it throws everything off by being a tritone where elsewhere you have a major triad which is absurdly stable. Using B as a tonic puts you in a really uncomfortable position (minor second, tritone, minor seveneth) where whatever you write will sound very dark and ominous and dissonant. Using C will have B be the leading tone to it, which is ok, but it restricts you to A and F without immediately wanting to resolve to B unless you have motion that causes you to go towards A. Using A was my choice, just due to the freedom it gave me, but with a minor third, minor sixth and major second amongst my notes, it was very much a minor-esque sound. Tones aside, the rhythm was very odd personally, but it was interesting to see how I could experiment with it.

Anyway, this is the composition:
vocaroo.com/i/s1sIHZspEMih

Fair point, I was fairly sure one of the restrictions was that you had to end on the note you began on. For the second guy I suppose he should've ended on B if he really wanted to get that B minor sound.

those look like some awkward jumps but I like how it sounds

finally got around to doing exercise 1, never composed something with this many limitations before, i do see why its much better when you are a beginner

vocaroo.com/i/s0L3ZiqCWKDA

I think you're the only one that made use of staccato here, pretty unique variation. It's nice to see how everyone's sort of coming up with their own unique variations even in such a constrained set where rhythm, instrumentation and tones are all very restricted.

Weee, the fuckups of tripfagging for the first time.

vocaroo.com/i/s0Hm1kcDEIkl

Not sure how long to make this so here you go

I really like the beginning and end parts, sounds kinda jazzy

oh shit could we not go up an octave? If not my bad

these two sound very good
it's great they also incorporate different articulations and dynamics

It has a sort of majestic sound to it. It feels like it could be the theme to a chivalric romance.
I liked the dotted note in the fourth measure before reaching the highest note in the melody, it's a small detail that adds a lot.

I liked it. It's interesting to see how you used the inversions and wrote variations on former measures. It's great you attempted to write something using both rythms. I'm not sure but I feel the ending is too open, probably because of repeating the last measure but going up from F to A; I would try to reach the lower A to avoid moving to a higher note at the end.

here's my attempt at exercise 2, using the rythm (a)
vocaroo.com/i/s0IedFC7Fz8n

I reach the high F on measure 3, I was unsure if I could reach the low A there. It'd be a nice touch, though. Nice use of the repeating notes towards the end, really grounds the melody and creates a nice contrasts against those quick-moving arpeggios.

vocaroo.com/i/s0roPyR7FDeg

nice excuse to learn the software too

vocaroo.com/i/s0noGwhCD0lv

Here's my go at exercise 2 . I'll probably go to bed and do some more tomorrow

I really like whats going on at measure 4-8 ,especially 8

This flows and ends pretty well , I like the name too

here´s my exercise 2, i can´t do a vocaroo right now, sorry

'4. Use 2nds and 3rds Freely' can anyone tell me what this means?

do it

They're talking about intervals.

It's the Cell song

I found it very hard to write something with the second rythm.
vocaroo.com/i/s1WuUsiQPWVp

Looks good to me. You also did a good work combining both rythms.
I will try to do that later.

It's impressive how good it sounds despite being so simple.

bump

exercise 3 is a melody using the C major scale

vocaroo.com/i/s1BCpaWYKfMo