Was it really that bad?

no. but not as enjoyable as the book.
>inb4 book sucks

No, but I saw the movie before I read the book so I was actually really charmed by it, yeah there's some bonkers shit like the rain at the end but if you don't like when Paul crushes Feyd with his voice you are a fucking faggot

Never saw any of the shows. Books were long and dry, but there was some interesting shot in there. My favorite part is when Paul II turns into the hulk. That's in children of dune I think.

nah I also remember the first book being better. series turned to shit quite fast tho.

could've been a better Star Wars.

yeah I saw the movie when I was somewhere between 8-10 years old and it blew kid me the fuck away. Didn't follow the story at all but they rode giant fucking sand-worms so kid me loved it.

>ruins the mystique on the Guild in the first 5 minutes
>Emperor Shaddam is Guild's bitch cuck
>Sardaukar look like retards in swimming trunks
>Ornithopters look like flying garbage bins
>packs the entire story of Paul Muad'Dib in under an hour, misses the point completely in process
>Weirding way means you have to scream your attacks Naruto-style
>Baron isn't even fat
>Patrick Stewart completely wasted
>the only good performance is from the guy who played Leto
On a positive side, Sean Young looked hot as Chani

Same here, read the book later.

I'm largely convinced that reading the book first (or comic, or whatever) can poison the mind against an otherwise enjoyable film.

Film's good, you lose.

>>the only good performance is from the guy who played Leto

Hey now, what about Patrick Stewart as Gurney Halleck?

Moods are for cattle and loveplay, not fighting!

Yes, it's pretty much a mess of a movie. Nice to look at, at least.

I could really go for some cat milk right about now.

i'm 34, so I grew up seeing this on weekend cable channels. Hell back in the 90's DISNEY CH showed an edited version of this.

It was one of my fondest. The newest "cut" that your cover from does it no real justice. Just see the theatrical or some best cut from the 90's.

The 80's did the scenery and substance right. However, the scifi versions did the story right.

thank you cynical user. cannot unsee the ornithopters now!

>the scifi versions did the story right
Well, i dunno - it got the story from the books more accurately; but did it get the feel? The epicness? The movie was EPIC. BIG. And the Baron from the movie still scares me viscerally. The baron from tv was a simpering politician, not a batshit insane madman bent on ruling the galaxy no matter the cost.

seriously though, why'd they add a pug?

>However, the scifi versions did the story right.

I couldn't get past the shitty production values

well the baron from the book was a simpering politician, so i guess from your POV the movie would be an improvement over the book and miniseries at least wrt that particular character

You really don't know how your masters live? Get out more.

dunno maybe to prove even the dukes dog is ready to face death head on as extra shielding for Gurny. It's how he live to go on and become a spice smuggler.

there was a time when pugs were popular with royalty. it's a really esoteric trope, and this is one of the only movie to ever invoke it

it's weird to watch the movie after reading the book, a lot of the dialogue, internal monologues and scenes are like straight lifts from the film but something about the way it's contextualized and executed feels so wrong compare to how it plays out in prose. goes to show adaptations are more than just reading what's on the page.

I just support the 80's version because those were some of the first major novels I started reading back in the early 90s.

It got me into reading them all. Even the awful ones by his son. Just decent fanfic EU type stuff.

I think people just need to modify their expectations. Film and literature are completely different mediums and an adaptation should be judged on its own merit. Unfortunately, people don't like to think and see different as inherently bad.

FPBP

I have the 3 hour supercut. The film was incredible. The books were incredilber. The only thing I would change about the films would be the Sardaukar/Harkonnen military dress.

I never read the books and i just watched the movie a couple of days ago. The set design is amazing and the world building was interesting as well. The internal monlogues were a neat way to pack information into the scenes, i realy liked that.
Most of the VFX were okay, except for those awful shield effects. The sound guns were annoying, but i could get past them.
Unfortunately, the 3rd act was way too rushed. It gave little time for character development and made the ending seem to come out of nowhere.
Overall, i'd give it a 7.5/10